latejoin antag ratio calculation is terrible

>implying the game isn't perfect
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

latejoin antag ratio calculation is terrible

Post by Tokiko2 » #16387

When a round starts, there's a certain crewmember:antag ratio that is kept when the game decides to make people into antags. While I don't know SoS's config files, the default on NTstation suggests that it's 6 so every 6th crewmember is a traitor(unless less peoples enable it).

However, with latejoin traitors, this ratio seems to be completely ignored and there is a random chance instead which seems to be much lower than the chance of being a roundstart antag.

Since many people on Artyom choose to latejoin for various reasons, this can result in 30 crewmember rounds with only 1 or 2 traitors while the ratio suggests that 30 crewmembers should have 5 traitors instead.

Soooo, can anyone change this? Or want to? Because I think that this would vastly improve the boring lowpop rounds a lot and remove SOME of the problems that latejoining causes.
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Re: latejoin antag ratio calculation is terrible

Post by Lovecraft » #16390

What if people stopped late joining to avoid being an assassination target?
Or whatever the reason is for it, I've never understood it myself.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Post by Konork » #16391

Lovecraft wrote:What if people stopped late joining to avoid being an assassination target?
People probably late join more to have more control over what job they end up as or to more easily become some kind of special role like aliens or apprentices than to avoid assassinations
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #16417

Lovecraft wrote:What if people stopped late joining to avoid being an assassination target?
I late join because I don't like putting a linear HIGH, MEDIUM, LOW on jobs. Sometimes I don't feel like going a random job which I do like 60% of the time.
Unless I'm playing one of my characters who only plays chemistry I will late join to fill slots that are missing, such as engineer or HoS or what have you. I don't know anyone who does it to stop being an assassination target i'm p. sure that's a myth put out by some idiot because it doesn't happen anyway unless you're like the last person to join...?
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #16419

Huh. Well I never knew any of that, mostly because so never bothered to ask.
Thought I still don't see the fun of it. I suppose I just like the chance of it all.

Back slightly more on topic, this is yet another wonderful idea by the same person who keeps making wonderful ideas, someone promote them already.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #16530

Unless NT modified the code or config, latejoiners are picked by random chance (Same chance for players to get round-start antag, capped at no more than the set coefficient of the number of joined players)

e.g. on default TG code, latejoiners have a 20% chance of getting traitor only if the existing number of traitors does not exceed 20% of the population of players who have joined the game.

It's kept random to avoid having people count the number of latejoiners to try and predict antagonists.

What I could do is add a lower cap, to skip the probability altogether if the number of traitors-to-crew is too low. Eventually :|
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?