The old sprite repository

General SS13 Chat
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

The old sprite repository

Post by Nabski » #649579

It's really annoying that we have a place where unused sprites are supposed to go, but only things that are fully removed end up there. Things that are "updated" don't make the cut, so if you want to see old clothing or the 4x back iteration of medikits because they've been resprited AGAIN you have to go poking at the changelog for that .dmi file.

Is it too much to ask that if you change sprites you change that repo as well? (yes)
Could I take up this torch and do it myself if it is so important to me? (yes but I ain't gunna)
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Re: The old sprite repository

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #649606

Man i can just roll the github URL timestamping all the way to 2014 to download old sprites, its really not a big deal to store them especially when current spriter community doesn't pay any regard to honor them for on brand, bright plastic and tacky corporate replacements.

Spoiler:
tattle
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Post by tattle » #649631

Nabski wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:55 pm Things that are "updated" don't make the cut, so if you want to see old clothing or the 4x back iteration of medikits because they've been resprited AGAIN you have to go poking at the changelog for that .dmi file.
If you want to see some sprite soul, it's also on the wiki! The images get updated instead of deleted, so you can see all past versions of a file.

https://tgstation13.org/wiki/File:Brutefak.png

Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler:
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #649644

I like that we went back to the body of the box being pink, and that's a nice trip down memory lane on the wiki part, but it's not searchable the way scrubby or dmi files are, which makes it really difficult to use for projects. Some of this is just me being extra annoyed that I was up to something and then the floors changed so I have to go through an extra step to make sure I had pulled everything and maybe grab the new ones then color adjust them so that they are right. I had created a bunch of extra floor damage sections for it that I was considering pushing back up (but never would because I hate github). I'm just rambling.
► Show Spoiler
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #649649

do it yourself then
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #649674

No, the person needlessly updating the sprite with their terrible new version should have to.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #649686

cacogen wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:56 am No, the person needlessly updating the sprite with their terrible new version should have to.

Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #650029

cacogen wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:56 am No, the person needlessly updating the sprite with their terrible new version should have to.
They don't have to, because GIT ALREADY KEEPS THE VERSION HISTORY, THATS WHAT ITS FOR

that this guy is too fucking lazy to go back and pull old sprites has nothing to do with us. We already keep the historical record of every change.