spacemen now speaking chinese

General SS13 Chat
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

spacemen now speaking chinese

Post by bman » #279949

While I was reading something, I noticed these.

ill begin with two quotes from the bay forums

Sabraim wrote:

Sol Common being a mixture of English and Chinese is a linguistic impossibility as explained various times by various people
Doc Korsakoff wrote:

It is completely meaningless to attempt to inject diversity as written by a primarily Ameri-European playerbase. The lore and setting reflects its creators, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Nobody has ever claimed that SS13 was an accurate portrayal of the future of the Human race, nor is anyone trying to make some absurd racial or gender supremacist statement by making the demographics as they currently are.

If you want to try and "diversify" the roster of player characters, by all means do so. Please don't think that anybody actually should though.
I believed both of those to be very interesting observations.

What do you think about this? Discuss.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Re: spacemen now speaking chinese

Post by Remie Richards » #279955

it wasn't added for diversity, it was added because it's cool.
nengtehadjingtingforion be with you.
私は完璧
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #279957

Remie Richards wrote:it wasn't added for diversity, it was added because it's cool.
on what basis is "welcome to the rice fields motherfucker" cool

i was attempting to make this a serious thread but fuck man you're pushing the envelope on me here
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #279960

whatever you've done in life, nengtehadjingtingforion still loves you.
私は完璧
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #279965

I just presumed that SS13 was set in the sort of cultural nightmarescape that settings like Dune are set in. Through the course of time and the distances involved in space travel, various groups have gathered together long enough and their cultures have been set apart long enough from the main Sol branch that you get hybridizing that we don't really have a good concept for now but ultimately resembles a mixture of the two previous cultures/religions/groups. So realisitically, you couldn't have a perfect combination of English and Chinese as they are known to us now, but in the course of several hundred years away from main branch English and Chinese cultures, anything could hybridize in the name of communication and cooperation.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #279971

Just accept nengtehadjingtingforion into your hearts.
私は完璧
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #279972

Man, not playing humans and having to worry about this bullshit is nice.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #279975

DemonFiren wrote:Man, not playing humans and having to worry about this bullshit is nice.
you also speak sol common you dumb lizard.

nengtehadjingtingforion doesn't discriminate, even against filth.
私は完璧
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #279977

DemonFiren wrote:Man, not playing humans and having to worry about this bullshit is nice.
lizards speak it too
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #279978

Remie Richards wrote:

The more important question. Gutter or tradeband?
Cherrypone
Byond Username: Cherrypone

Post by Cherrypone » #279993

cedarbridge wrote: The more important question. Gutter or tradeband?
Tradeband is for nerds, Gutter all the way
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #279996

back2bay bman you cancer
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #280005

oranges wrote:back2bay bman you cancer
well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me princess im a goon not a baytard
MrEousTranger
Byond Username: Mr.EousTranger

Post by MrEousTranger » #280029

Now that I think about it this is probably a firefly reference.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #280034

Cherrypone wrote:
how are you supposed to talk to the VOX TRADERS IF YOU'RE TALKING IN APESPEAK
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #280037

Armhulen wrote:
Cherrypone wrote:
how are you supposed to talk to the VOX TRADERS IF YOU'RE TALKING IN APESPEAK
You can talk to them in sol common and just put up with their hilarious accents.
Cherrypone
Byond Username: Cherrypone

Post by Cherrypone » #280051

Armhulen wrote: Tradeband is for nerds, Gutter all the way
how are you supposed to talk to the VOX TRADERS IF YOU'RE TALKING IN APESPEAK[/quote]
>Trading
>Legally trading
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #280112

MrEousTranger wrote:Now that I think about it this is probably a firefly reference.
English/Chinese or English/Japanese language fusion has been kind of a staple of near future sci-fi since the late 70s. Firefly did it, Shadowrun did it, it fits the setting and I kinda like it.

"Diversity" is a non-issue, it wasnt added because of that, it was added because it is very Sci-Fi
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #280187

Remie Richards wrote:

bman wrote:
lizards speak it too

please
we clearly use our vast psionic potential to beam our thoughts directly into your heads
complete with propaganda

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #280217

DemonFiren wrote:
please
we clearly use our vast psionic potential to beam our thoughts directly into your heads
complete with propaganda
on a more serious, non-shitposting note, why dont lizards and plasmen have their own language? I know people dont like lizard metafriendship but it would definitely be interesting to have lizards talk behind your back only to get reported to security for speaking a non-Nanotrasen approved dialect on company property and get gulaged for it. Or at least have some sort of "LORE" justification for one language like them being uplifted as a species by humans or something.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #280218

Ching CHONG

Nip nong bong!
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #280267

Dr_bee wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:
please
complete with propaganda
on a more serious, non-shitposting note, why dont lizards and plasmen have their own language? I know people dont like lizard metafriendship but it would definitely be interesting to have lizards talk behind your back only to get reported to security for speaking a non-Nanotrasen approved dialect on company property and get gulaged for it. Or at least have some sort of "LORE" justification for one language like them being uplifted as a species by humans or something.
make your own lore

i turned the fact that lizards only ever speak non-lizard and that they exist in a godawful range of flavours into "there's so many different species of intelligent reptile out there they can't possibly be biologically, let alone linguistically compatible".

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #280272

Dr_bee wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:
please
complete with propaganda
Mostly just because it hasn't been done. Our saycode and language code has been changed a lot in recent time so its not always easy to just jump in and add something like that. I would support having racial languages anyway. Lizard lisps kinda make communication tough for them with other races but they should be able to communicate with other lizards reasonably in a native language. I'll look at maybe doing something like that after the freeze.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #280282

Dr_bee wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:
please
complete with propaganda
It wasn't feasible before the language refactor

We don't like balance changes or features bundled with refactors

The refactor happened during a feature freeze, so nobody has been allowed to make a follow up PR to add those languages yet.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #280331

Puu long dong Ching pao lee Wong
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #280574

Remie Richards wrote:it wasn't added for diversity, it was added because it's cool.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #280575

that's japanese.
私は完璧
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #282003

Remie Richards wrote:that's japanese.
what do you call a fat asian

a chunk
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #283291

Space Station 13 was never really designed with realism in mind, it's a campy parody of western science fiction tropes. Remember that we are a space station simulator where space is cold and the station is powered by unobtainium exposed to radiation. The radiation is generated by a black hole because a megacorporation engineer decided that was the best way to do it.

And you could always just say that the English you see in-game is actually a localization from whatever language spessmen speak in 2557.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #283364

I always thought it was a very rough "nod" to Firefly/serenity in which theres a American/Asian language cross over. Just for, as Remie puts it, cool.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #283418

Like Kor said, the reason new languages weren't implemented yet is due to the feature freeze; i really want to see language more in play when it ends. Maybe the ability to understand several languages could be a nice job boon for the librarian, so they could get recruited by sec to translate revolutionary lizardspeak.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #283432

XDTM wrote:Like Kor said, the reason new languages weren't implemented yet is due to the feature freeze; i really want to see language more in play when it ends. Maybe the ability to understand several languages could be a nice job boon for the librarian, so they could get recruited by sec to translate revolutionary lizardspeak.
I'd be interested in a system that segregated speaking a language from understanding the language. That way you could have books that allowed you to understand lizardspeak even when you physically lack the tongue required to speak it properly. Alernatively, allow you to speak but with a really shitty and hard to understand accent like a tourist.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #283460

cedarbridge wrote:
XDTM wrote:Like Kor said, the reason new languages weren't implemented yet is due to the feature freeze; i really want to see language more in play when it ends. Maybe the ability to understand several languages could be a nice job boon for the librarian, so they could get recruited by sec to translate revolutionary lizardspeak.
I'd be interested in a system that segregated speaking a language from understanding the language. That way you could have books that allowed you to understand lizardspeak even when you physically lack the tongue required to speak it properly. Alernatively, allow you to speak but with a really shitty and hard to understand accent like a tourist.
I'm pretty sure coiax added checks to speak languages, so even if you understand robotic you need to be a borg or have a robotic tongue (from androids) to speak it.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #285381

This is what they did in Firefly. Mostly English with Chinese slang and cussing.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #285384

XDTM wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
I'm pretty sure coiax added checks to speak languages, so even if you understand robotic you need to be a borg or have a robotic tongue (from androids) to speak it.
I'd have to look at the binary radio key to see if it actually imparts both or just adds binary as a "known language"
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #285549

Freeze's over, get to it chop chop
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #285609

Grazyn wrote:Freeze's over, get to it chop chop
I'll look at it after finals if nobody else does.
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #285614

It's over, we Bay now.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #285618

Sligneris wrote:It's over, we Bay now.
Nice boogieman
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #285622

It's not a boogieman, it's our reality now.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #285632

Considering our playerbase wouldn't it make more sense for Idiocracy's English langauge which is apparently a hybrid of valley girl, hillbilly, inner city slang, and grunts to be the standard langauge for all characters?