Blessed's Guide to how to not fucking suck at mining

General SS13 Chat
BlessedHeretic
Byond Username: BlessedHeretic

Blessed's Guide to how to not fucking suck at mining

Post by BlessedHeretic » #21812

Step 1. Rush onto the god damn shuttle, drag your locker with you, Gear up with standard pickaxe on belt, gloves on, mesons, crowbar into box, O2 into pocket, scanner into pocket. Take additional satchel.

Step 2. Select your choice of superior mining tool. Resonator is generally more useful and less of a hassle to use to mine but accelerators can be good for antags. It is always better to use resonator for fighting mining mobs. Always.

Step 3. Take your stupid fucking mining rig. If you're new to mining, take a mining GPS and put it in your box. It will likely do nothing. Go to west side station and nab the medkit (leave a bruise pack and ointment for other miners, just 1. First come first serve.), Fill your pocket o2 fully up at the oxygen tank, embark to mining outside the south airlocks. LANTERN ON YOUR EXO SLOT FOR MAD LoS!

Step 4. Find dem minerals. Use the scanner, for your first haul back to the station prioritize a mixture of silver,gold,uranium,diamonds but in small portions for anything not diamond (get as many diamonds as possible), have at least 1 ore satchel full of plasma, it's very important for miners to do this.

Step 5. go to the ore redeemer and get MAD FUCKING POINTS for the plasma and diamonds, go back to mining afterward (optional trip to science to give materials.) And buy either a jetpack (if fucking off to space, antag things.) Or the more useful Stim pills. Consume at least 2 bottles of stim pills for a good lasting effect.

Step 6. - Assuming you didn't fuck off into space, use your new found speed to find materials quickly. You are now either artifact hunting, or mob hunting till shuttle call. (or still collecting materials for science, why you'd need to i don't know.)

Step 7. Repeat until bored or shuttle arrives. You are now offically a miner who can be useful and make yourself stronger.

--------
Fighting on Mining :

Goliath
: Fighting a Goliath is easy as pie but it can sometimes fuck even the most experienced miner if it gets the drop on them. If using a resonator, stay 2 tiles away from it, and hit the ground where it WILL move and use bubbles to kill it. If using the gun, same idea but shoot Goliath directly. The resonator will always be faster.
Every 2 steps the goliath takes make sure you have your resonator or gun off cooldown and are 2 additional steps away from goliath so when it tentacles, you can dig a wall if it's blocking you from escaping it's tentacles. If there are no walls blocking your escape, just walk out of where the tentacles are and then rush back to the 1 tile away and keep bombarding it till it succumbs.

Basilisk : If using resonator, rush up to it before it freezes you and bash it's fucking face in with the resonator, it'll stay put and get popped by the bubbles and take the additional 10 damage from the resonator itself when you bash it. If using the gun, FUCK THE GUN, use your pickaxe. Kiting this thing with a gun is how you kill yourself.

Hivelord : Pickaxe. Just pickaxe the host body, do not recommend resonator because you could bubble yourself.

Gold Grub
: No reason to fight this faggot unless he ate diamonds in front of your eyes. Else wise just pickaxe.

--------
Optional life improving things:

Mining rig upgrade : Goliath plates add +10% melee resist each time when applied to a rig, ideally if you're just mining you'd want to solely apply that to your chest piece. When maxed out you'll be able to fight a goliath without kiting and take minor damage. It is recommended to apply plates to the head instead if you plan to antag as players more often target your head. The plates will stack until they reach 80%. That makes your suit a space worthy riot suit.

Security Jumpsuit : This gives a +10% melee resist to both body attacks. Nag the QM or HoP to give you one. -Edited- Only body.

Augmentations : Augs are VERY useful for miners, as healing with a welder is ultimately easier. That and the extra brute resistance is -5 brute damage, -4 burn on each limb, and oddly makes you take less brute from all sources else wise. Downside : EMP vulnerability. -Edited- New information proved augs to be different than originally thought.
Spoiler:
If all 3 are combined you become melee immune. This can make life hell for a lot of people trying to kill you, and outright installs hopelessness into blobs.
--------

Vendor items assessment
:

Jetpack
- Best bang for buck, can be worn on exo slot so you don't have to worry too much. Best mobility, great for antagonists.

Stim Pills
- The best fucking item for any situation. Max speed, resistance to cold (freezing eye beams will last significantly shorter). Can't robust what you can't keep up with.

Laz Injector
- Can be emagged to make hostile mobs on station (?). Practical uses are reviving a Goliath and killing it for additional plates. Alternatively useful for bartering with the HoP or any staff with a pet. Flood the AI core with goliaths.

Soap
- A tile based stun that is amazingly robust for it's cost. Also cleans up evidence.

Laser pointer
- Borg stunner. Amazing during malf, or when you need to stop a borg in it's tracks and don't want to invest in EMP or trying to flash it.

Jaunter - Oh shit button, kinda shitty.

Acellerator or Resonator
- Don't bother, get a diamond mining drill instead.

Sonic Jack - Good if you want additional speed at digging in combination with stims, but ultimately you should have a Diamond drill which is by far superior.

Mining Drone
- useful if you want to amass resources and are lazy. Might also help kill a mob.

Toy Alien - Really robust little toy. Strips gas masks off people's faces and blinds them. Can cause a large issue for wizards. Unsure how to properly weaponize it else wise.

Chilli - Bad.

Cigar - I don't even.

Cash - BRIBE THE ADMINS!
------------

How to Gibonite
:

Hit ore, count to 6-7, hit with scanner. Hope you get tier 0. If failed it blew up in your face, if succeeded you have tier 0-3. Use 2 tier 0s to blow open the AI core and make it cry at it's malf failure!
Spoiler:
Tiers 0-1-2-3 can gib bodies, remember mining suits take 50% of damage away from bombs, so strip miners you want to make disappear forever first.
------------
The Ripley -

Beg admins for Death Ripley, if no admins or non responsive, give it to cargo tech so they can drill open lockers and crates they shouldn't be able to. DO NOT BRING TO MINING.

--------------------------

And that's all there is to it. Being a miner isn't fucking difficult.

Shame no one is going to read this and I'm gonna still see OOC whining about how shit mining is because of it's difficulty.
Last edited by BlessedHeretic on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Broomstick
Byond Username: Broomy

Re: Blessed's Guide to how to not fucking suck at mining

Post by Broomstick » #21816

Just to jinx you, I'm gonna start doing these things when I go miner.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #21820

Name GPS "HELP" when you're in trouble. It's easy enough for telesci to understand that you want them to grab you.
Rose-chan

Post by Rose-chan » #21830

Here's a few additional tips for mining:
  • The Proto-kinetic Accelerator can destroy electrified grilles without needing a pair of insulated gloves.
  • The Proto-kinetic Accelerator will obliterate a space carp in one hit while in space.
  • Hivelords drop remains which heals all damage and can be eaten without taking off your mask/helmet, but becomes useless fast and will remove stimulants from your body!
  • Lazarus Injectors no longer make resurrected mobs hostile to other players, only other NPC mobs, and goliaths can't be dragged around once resurrected.
  • The Head of Personnel will probably reward you with all access if you resurrect Ian. Also, sometimes the Research Director will reward you for a pet gold grub.
  • If you're expecting trouble on the station, consider taking out a window on the mining shuttle before you return to make a quick getaway so you're not trapped like a rat in a cage.
  • Taking stimulants before delivering materials to science will help keep you alive.
  • The mining drone can be repaired with a welding tool, but not in the middle of a fight. A goliath will always win in a one on one fight with a mining drone.
  • You may randomly find a face hugger while mining. Releasing this on the station when not an antag will get you banned! Delivering it to xenobiology in a welded shut locker will not.
  • There are microwaves and a box of donks in every mining station that you can use for healing.
Last edited by Rose-chan on Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kraso
Byond Username: S0ldi3rKr4s0
Github Username: Kraseo

Post by Kraso » #21832

can you guys stop with the fucking guides, there's something called a wiki for a reason
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #21834

Kraso wrote:can you guys stop with the fucking guides, there's something called a wiki for a reason
A lot of people don't read it.
I myself read pretty much everything in the wiki that looked important/ interesting.
:^)
Zsword

Post by Zsword » #21836

Can I call this 'Blessed's Guide to being the only person having fun'? Because seriously man, you are the most UNPLEASANT person to mine with. You're so self centered it's just unbearable. I can't rightfully credit a man who, when another says 'dying', just says 'RIP' and doesn't bother helping the man (Or even may indirectly kill him because he took THE FREAKING MEDKIT).

That being said, there is good advice here, the strategy for fighting the various critters, or uses for the various rewards are fairly accurate. Though things like 'drag your locker to the shuttle' and 'grab the medkit' are just outright RUDE and unnecessary.

My advice: R&D needs very little of all the basic mats, about 10-15 of each i find is enough to last them the entire round, Robotics can use most everything else (except Plasma) to make awesome bigstompy helpful mechs. The Plasma you can keep in Cargo for MAD POINTS!

If you make it to the derelict outpost, R&D can use the Toolbox to start some Illegal research. (there's also a Xeno Suit on the Derelict, which can be used for mad prankage. Just, make sure you don't do it TO well or you might get robusted.)

Hivelords make astonishingly good bodyguards against the Asteroids other nasties, they're not the fastest killing machines, but they sure are safe. (and if it dies you have a free full heal waiting to go after the fight.)

Ripley can pick up a number of containers, not just ore boxes, including crates and lockers. Though I actually have a question: can Ripley put things into it's crate and lockers? and if Someone is inside a locker, can you pick it up, storing it, WITHOUT killing them? I haven't had the chance to test this yet.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #21837

Zsword wrote:if Someone is inside a locker, can you pick it up, storing it, WITHOUT killing them? I haven't had the chance to test this yet.
Looking at the code, they'll survive.
Look at it like this:

The Mob is in the Locker's contents var, and the Locker is in the Ripley's contents var.

The only way the mob would die is if it suffocated in the locker.
私は完璧
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #21840

Do people in Ripley's cargo hold receive air from internal tank?
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #21844

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Do people in Ripley's cargo hold receive air from internal tank?
There's no code for that, so I'm gonna say no.

You have to note that the cargo hold is a list, not a physical location, so it doesn't have an atmosphere and the mech's cabin_air doesn't look into the ripley's cargo hold.
私は完璧
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #21850

Zsword wrote:Can I call this 'Blessed's Guide to being the only person having fun'? Because seriously man, you are the most UNPLEASANT person to mine with. You're so self centered it's just unbearable. I can't rightfully credit a man who, when another says 'dying', just says 'RIP' and doesn't bother helping the man (Or even may indirectly kill him because he took THE FREAKING MEDKIT).
There's a medikit in cargo that no one ever uses. If it's there, take it.

If the medikit is gone, assume the one on the mining station will also be gone, run to the dorms and take the bruise packs/ointment from the fitness room before the clown does. You can also get some coffee while you're here.

If those are gone, get the AI to let you into medical storage.

If that doesn't work, get more robust.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #21851

I always order more medkits with the first shipment as QM. Gotta take care of my subordinates.

If you don't mind waiting 2-3 minutes cargo can probably get you whatever you want.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #21854

blessed's guide to not sucking at mining: 1) aquire free hardsuit 2) powergame by having less responsibilities than engineers and pickaxe all the revs
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #21902

paprika wrote:blessed's guide to not sucking at mining: 1) aquire free hardsuit 2) powergame by having less responsibilities than engineers and pickaxe all the revs
I have done this guide as antag and non-antag it will work most of the time and you'll be the hero the station needs in any event. FYI xenoing yourself with a mining face hugger WILL NOT GET YOU BANNED, only thing that'll get you banned if you try to set up a good starting nest for your xeno baby as a non-antag. Admins look down on players who start a mining xeno colony but that's because it'll ruin the other antag rounds in favor a forced xeno round.
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #21907

I don't understand what these guides on the forums are supposed to achieve.

You want to actually help people now and in the future? Instead of writing it here, edit this stuff into the Official Mining-page which people will actually look (and be guided to when asking in OOC or wherever) at when looking for info how to mine. I don't know if these threads are trying to tell me that "the wiki's guide to mining is shit, please update it with this because I can't" or are you just trying to make conversation?
Last edited by kosmos on Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
RG4

Post by RG4 » #21908

kosmos wrote:I don't understand what these guides on the forums are supposed to achieve.

You want to actually help people now and in the future? Instead of writing it here, edit this stuff into the Official Mining-page. I don't know if these threads are trying to tell me that "the wiki is shit, please update this" or are you just trying to make conversation?
Assuming that some people are mentally retarded and can't get to the wiki. Let alone theses are usually from experience people who actually want people to succeed rather than fail.
Zsword

Post by Zsword » #21918

I assume posting a guide onthe forum primarily serves as a means of getting critiqued and feedback on it, there's more room for discussion here than a wiki.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #22009

The only critique you're going to get is "Another fucking guide jesus fuck stop doing this."

Guides for this game are pretty bad.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #22045

ColonicAcid wrote:The only critique you're going to get is "Another fucking guide jesus fuck stop doing this."

Guides for this game are pretty bad.
I like how this turned into a circle jerk about how "guides" as a whole are "bad" and zero real discussion about the content of it. Sometimes I wonder if your posting and your playing are equally robust.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #22051

Haven't even played in like two monthsl o l
I came on artyom today tho and I liked what I saw... It was "fresh" honestly.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
RG4

Post by RG4 » #22081

Honestly the reason people actually take the time to make a guide is that they seen a proven and effective method that they've used. Then they see a whole bunch of people either being horrible ineffective or failing badly at what they do. So -X- writes a guide on how to Mine,RD,Robust,ERP,etc so they attempt to help help who are moderately clueless or just can't do it right.
Mastigos

Post by Mastigos » #22083

Also there are a lot of different ways to do the job and while the way in the wiki guides might work, people like to share these alternate methods that they've found success with that require a level of competency and/or robustness that a newbie(which the wiki guides are for) may not possess.
Hornygranny wrote: i was wrong
Paprika wrote:Saegrimr is right.
#NEVERFORGET
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #22085

It's just a pity that all of these guides in the forum will get buried at least after a month or two. I merged most of the guide now to the wiki since Mining-page had no step-by-step guide at all.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #22330

This guide worked pretty well

You can also avoid monsters if you just cut a path around through the rock and never enter the premade passages, it's almost as relaxed as old mining!
FJKrake

Post by FJKrake » #22382

Thank you for this post but its too long, cant be asked to read it :)

Mining is shit btw, its too damn difficult :D
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #22400

FJKrake wrote:Thank you for this post but its too long, cant be asked to read it :)

Mining is shit btw, its too damn difficult :D
Almost as difficult as reading a guide about how its really not that hard!