MSO DCMA F13 Claim?

General SS13 Chat
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Re: MSO DCMA F13 Claim?

Post by cedarbridge » #287337

Bottom post of the previous page:

John_Oxford wrote:its not the fact that your dcmaing them im against

i don't really care, i just want to play F13, this is directly affecting it and therefore it is bad

loads of people feel this way
Then those loads of people, yourself included, can convince them to stop being law-breaking faggots.
TehSteveo
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #287341

tacolizard wrote:What's godring saying about our code being stolen? From what i've heard, the original ss13 source was stolen, so is he making a valid claim? Also, what exactly is his argument and why is it wrong?
That is an ancient story, it's a story that affects anyone that plays this game, and generally legality is hard to argue because this all happened 2003-2006 between associates who likely used no licensing whatsoever.

The fact is Goons released their code, Goonstation r4407, which is what TG(and many others) is based upon and grew from there. This is all highlighted in our history page on the wiki.
Freedom
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #287374

The fact that code might be stolen originally does not afaik affect the license to code I or others have contributed in good faith under the AGPL or GPL licenses, so while they could claim that yes, some of the code might not have a clear license due to it's past, I think we have a strong legal claim for the licensing of all the code that has been contributed after that point and can be proven via git history.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #287375

Lmao at that last paragraph in the history page
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #287418

As far as I know the "least incorrect" narrative of the SS13 code being "stolen" was that someone Exadv1 trusted leaked the source code without his blessing and he was understandably a little salty about it. However later when he saw what became of the game because of the leak he was retroactively fine with it.

Probably all still heresy but the point is the one guy who reasonably could DMCA SS13 as a whole into oblivion is a cool guy who doesn't mind how things panned out.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #287429

iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #287431

i want my money for goofmed/tesla code/fastprocess
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #287438

>Generous code | Free for all
>Chain unbroken | Moneys Greed
>Hand closed | Tensions Rise
>Madagascar calls | Shut everything down
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #287454

oranges wrote:The fact that code might be stolen originally does not afaik affect the license to code I or others have contributed in good faith under the AGPL or GPL licenses, so while they could claim that yes, some of the code might not have a clear license due to it's past, I think we have a strong legal claim for the licensing of all the code that has been contributed after that point and can be proven via git history.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer.

Basically, how it works is that the tgstation repo provides a combined work, with each piece being owned by their coder, but tgstation having ownership over the collection as a whole. this is why gpl talks about combined work so much, because it covers this exact situation.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #287455

Incoming wrote:As far as I know the "least incorrect" narrative of the SS13 code being "stolen" was that someone Exadv1 trusted leaked the source code without his blessing and he was understandably a little salty about it. However later when he saw what became of the game because of the leak he was retroactively fine with it.

Probably all still heresy but the point is the one guy who reasonably could DMCA SS13 as a whole into oblivion is a cool guy who doesn't mind how things panned out.
He gave retroactive license to goonstation to release, so goonstation's r4407 release is legit. The only part it gets shaky on is I think goon licensed the entirety of the codebase under cc-by-sa-nc, where as we only license the art assets under creative commons (and it's only cc-by-sa).

This has never really been addressed or looked into, at the least, goon might have the ability to make us re-license all legacy art assets under cc-by-sa-nc, at the most they could make us relicense the codebase under cc-by-sa-nc, but this seems unlikely, as cc-by-sa-nc doesn't properly take the nuances of code into account, modifications to the work is required to be cc-by-sa-nc, but collections containing the work only require the part that contains the work be cc-by-sa-nc.

If my reading of that is correct, /tg/station's first commit would become cc-by-sa-nc, but all further commits would merely contain cc-by-sa-nc code that as a collective is gpl (later agpl) and on their own (via git history) cc-by-sa-nc with further commits being gpl (later agpl).

IE: our licensing situation is either 60% legit, or 100% legit.
NSFW:
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #287468

As for the dmca:

Long story short, fallout 13 claimed fair use and either we actually file a lawsuit against godsring or byond has to reinstate it after 14 days. Obviously i'm going to choose lawsuit. I'm waiting for a email back from the FSF on some technical questions I have for the lawsuit, and i'll likely have more questions.

The jurisdiction would likely be the federal court in san francisco, California. I have family in north cal and I grew up in mid cal, It would be a stretch, but I could do this entire thing pro-se and avoid the legal cost of a lawyer (assuming I don't get a summary judgement and avoid even needing to go out there.).

My argument is likely to be that they can not claim fair use when they use so much of our work, and when they take payments for perks.

They also were before saying they could do modules and it would allow them to keep the modules closed source, but, well, let me just let Mr Stallman answer that for you: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.ht ... uleLicense

After I get some questions answered I'll start issuing more dmca's. The RU version of the server is hosted by OVH.FR, they have copyright law. I might have to fork out money for a legal translator but submitting a french version of a DMCA does seem to be possible.

And to anybody partial to take fallout13's side on this matter: Listen up, I'm talking to you now.

All they have to do is open source, and this all ends. That's it. Open source does not mean they have to accept pull requests, or even take other people's code submissions, it just means that the current code the server is running has to be available to the public.

Hell, they could even add an additional term requiring that forks not pretend to be "official fallout13" servers, ie, require that they specify that they are an unofficial server in announcements and the byond hub (as long as this applies to the running server and not the code itself, it is unlikely to clash with agpl.)

This is the crowning point of Open Source, that if you build upon the works of open source software, you have to do so as open software. You can not take what is now almost 10 Years now of hard work by half a thousand different developers and try to claim it as yours. It is all of ours, because all of us worked on it, and anything based upon that has to pay in kind.
NSFW:
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #287473

GOD SPEED MSO!

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #287474

This is more than popcorn-worthy.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
420weedscopes
Byond Username: 420weedscopes

Post by 420weedscopes » #287542

good luck sweetie pie
fix the store soon please also
Check out Phoenix Bucket!
TheWiznard wrote:jmad you read a book out loud to no one for two hours
original fanart by TheWiznard http://i.imgur.com/TTd3AFt.jpg
MORE http://i.imgur.com/335AGAS.jpg
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #287605

They banned me from the discord
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #287607

Just wanted my bottle deposit
Fiz Bump
Byond Username: Dennyb

Post by Fiz Bump » #287611

If this goes to court, we HAVE to livestream it.
I play Fiz Bump.
I am not a game admin. My reign of badminnery ended a few years ago.View me feedback here: >:^)
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #287612

What exactly could happen if this goes to court? What would happen if either side wins?
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #287623

This looks pretty juicy but software licensing ain't my bag. I've only dealt with more traditional categories of IP. When you file the complaint, post it and I might be able to get some input from people who are actually qualified.
TheColdTurtle wrote:What exactly could happen if this goes to court? What would happen if either side wins?
As a lawyer I can tell you that when legal complaints are filed in court then DECISIONS ARE MADE and those decisions can have LEGAL IMPLICATIONS.

That will be $300.
Last edited by Oldman Robustin on Tue May 02, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #287624

Fiz Bump wrote:If this goes to court, we HAVE to livestream it.
This isn't the sort of thing that when it goes to court it makes for good TV. Its generally just a long series of hearings and most of the legal legwork is done on paper. Hearings generally just devolve into motions and cross-motions before both lawyers bop off for a beer. Further, I really doubt either side is sufficiently motivated to take this all the way through the legal system. A suit like this, depending on fee agreements and local jurisdiction costs, can be exceedingly expensive. Where F13 is an upstart server without financial backing and intentions to cover its costs with perk purchasing, I really doubt they'd even survive past the discovery phase.

MSO, when and if this goes to a lawsuit though, I'd be very interested to see copies of the court doccuments filed by either side, either by docket number or in PDF. Not because ethics rules would allow me to participate in your representation but just for my own edification in seeing the exact method the courts take at weighing this sort of issue at litigation. Its one of the few things they don't really have time to cover in law school.
Oldman Robustin wrote:This looks pretty juicy but software licensing ain't my bag. I've only dealt with more traditional categories of IP. When you file the complaint, post it and I might be able to get some input from people who are actually qualified.
I always forget Robustin and I share a profession.
Last edited by cedarbridge on Tue May 02, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zellion
Byond Username: Zellion

Post by Zellion » #287625

I dont have access but in the post where he was applying he put 15 as his age and "active time any days i dont have high school lol"
TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #287626

Why the fuck would you admit to being underage ahahahaha. Is he banned from here now?
Fiz Bump
Byond Username: Dennyb

Post by Fiz Bump » #287632

cedarbridge wrote:
Fiz Bump wrote:If this goes to court, we HAVE to livestream it.
This isn't the sort of thing that when it goes to court it makes for good TV.
Bruh, I study arguably the most boring field of biology. Even if it's just regular court proceedings I want to see Curious MSO Goes to Court.
I play Fiz Bump.
I am not a game admin. My reign of badminnery ended a few years ago.View me feedback here: >:^)
Zellion
Byond Username: Zellion

Post by Zellion » #287633

TheColdTurtle wrote:Why the fuck would you admit to being underage ahahahaha. Is he banned from here now?
no he's a trial min
Rockdtben
Site Admin
Byond Username: Rockdtben
Github Username: Rockdtben

Post by Rockdtben » #287634

MrStonedOne wrote:As for the dmca:

Long story short, fallout 13 claimed fair use and either we actually file a lawsuit against godsring or byond has to reinstate it after 14 days. Obviously i'm going to choose lawsuit. I'm waiting for a email back from the FSF on some technical questions I have for the lawsuit, and i'll likely have more questions.

The jurisdiction would likely be the federal court in san francisco, California. I have family in north cal and I grew up in mid cal, It would be a stretch, but I could do this entire thing pro-se and avoid the legal cost of a lawyer (assuming I don't get a summary judgement and avoid even needing to go out there.).

My argument is likely to be that they can not claim fair use when they use so much of our work, and when they take payments for perks.

They also were before saying they could do modules and it would allow them to keep the modules closed source, but, well, let me just let Mr Stallman answer that for you: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.ht ... uleLicense

After I get some questions answered I'll start issuing more dmca's. The RU version of the server is hosted by OVH.FR, they have copyright law. I might have to fork out money for a legal translator but submitting a french version of a DMCA does seem to be possible.

And to anybody partial to take fallout13's side on this matter: Listen up, I'm talking to you now.

All they have to do is open source, and this all ends. That's it. Open source does not mean they have to accept pull requests, or even take other people's code submissions, it just means that the current code the server is running has to be available to the public.

Hell, they could even add an additional term requiring that forks not pretend to be "official fallout13" servers, ie, require that they specify that they are an unofficial server in announcements and the byond hub (as long as this applies to the running server and not the code itself, it is unlikely to clash with agpl.)

This is the crowning point of Open Source, that if you build upon the works of open source software, you have to do so as open software. You can not take what is now almost 10 Years now of hard work by half a thousand different developers and try to claim it as yours. It is all of ours, because all of us worked on it, and anything based upon that has to pay in kind.
Good work.
Custom Software Solutions, Mentorship, and game development ----> Main Site
Game Master: 03/24/2022 - Now || Domain Holder: 04/15/2014 - 03/24/2022 || Code Project Lead: 02/01/2014 - 10/07/2014 || G-Admin: 12/29/2013 - 04/04/2015 || T-Admin: 3/29/2013 - 12/29/2013 || Codermin: ? - 3/29/2013 || Started Playing: 6/13/2006 || "Took no shit from shitters" - MrStonedOne
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #287635

MSO is the hero of open source
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #287636

That does raise the question though, since I'm not really familiar with GPL/AGPL. If the ownership is a joint ownership of X coder-contributors over 10+ years, who "owns" the code sufficient to claim legal standing to sue on its rights? I presume the actual GPL/AGPL makes some effort to address this but I just haven't had the time to look it up and asking is easier.
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #287668

NSFW:
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #287669

Honestly, someone should tell Bethesda about the 2d ripoff of their IP. I'm sure they'll love the rape feature.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty

a correct post by pillz
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #287671

DrPillzRedux wrote:Honestly, someone should tell Bethesda about the 2d ripoff of their IP. I'm sure they'll love the rape feature.
but then all of fo13 would be gone and that would be kinda sad again

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #287674

how to break the law

go closed source

use a private ip

make a server thats stock /tg/

make it so you can't spawn and in big red letters its the ip to the f13 server

fuck the police coming straight from nevada
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #287678

>someone is actually going to take legal spessmen to court

holy shit
Limey wrote:its too late.
Kraso
Byond Username: S0ldi3rKr4s0
Github Username: Kraseo

Post by Kraso » #287680

let's not forget the fallout series is a bethesda IP so uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #287684

Ah, finally some quality justiceporn
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #287712

Against my better judgment I'm contemplating getting involved. I've read the AGPL3 and realized the license makes this dispute less technical than I initially thought, and I would downright enjoy tearing apart a fair use defense.

Plus I think it would give me a basis to put "Space Lawyer" on my business card.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #287714

Oldman Robustin wrote:Against my better judgment I'm contemplating getting involved. I've read the AGPL3 and realized the license makes this dispute less technical than I initially thought, and I would downright enjoy tearing apart a fair use defense.

Plus I think it would give me a basis to put "Space Lawyer" on my business card.
Remember that spesslaw requires cooking copious amounts of faggots.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #287715

Fallout station BTFO, releasing code publicly.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #287716

Oldman Robustin wrote:Against my better judgment I'm contemplating getting involved. I've read the AGPL3 and realized the license makes this dispute less technical than I initially thought, and I would downright enjoy tearing apart a fair use defense.

You were cucked by levelheadedness

I have been informed that GodRing will be releasing the source.
NSFW:
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #287719

cedarbridge wrote: This isn't the sort of thing that when it goes to court it makes for good TV. Its generally just a long series of hearings and most of the legal legwork is done on paper. Hearings generally just devolve into motions and cross-motions before both lawyers bop off for a beer. Further, I really doubt either side is sufficiently motivated to take this all the way through the legal system. A suit like this, depending on fee agreements and local jurisdiction costs, can be exceedingly expensive. Where F13 is an upstart server without financial backing and intentions to cover its costs with perk purchasing, I really doubt they'd even survive past the discovery phase.
dibs on being called as a witness then WGW
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #287720

>a chance to launch my own personal deathclaw erp server soon

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #287725

MrStonedOne wrote:

Too late, I can taste blood in the water. Time to go after Colonial Marines for violating our Creative Commons license.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #287726

Oldman Robustin wrote:
MrStonedOne wrote:

Too late, I can taste blood in the water. Time to go after Colonial Marines for violating our Creative Commons license.
>robustin doing good
>for ss13
this'll be the day

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #287730

Based mso
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #287732

Robustin is a good boy who dindu nuffin, don't bully him
Bring back papercult.

DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #287739

InsaneHyena wrote:Robustin is a good boy who dindu nuffin, don't bully him
he literally offered to help opensource lizards at the expense of russians, of course he dindu

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #287754

Keep up the momentum, MSO.

CM next.

a correct post by pillz
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #287762

I agree with Robustin. Just based on these your average 1L could handle this. He made a good move in kissing the ring when he could.
Danowar
Byond Username: Danowar

Post by Danowar » #287825

spriting for this project was a mistake
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #287937

Danowar wrote:spriting for this project was a mistake
if possible, would you sue them to have your work removed?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Danowar
Byond Username: Danowar

Post by Danowar » #287955

I could probably take my assets back at any time. I'm just going to wait for now though. All I would want is proper credit if it actually goes open source.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #287956

Danowar wrote:I could probably take my assets back at any time. I'm just going to wait for now though. All I would want is proper credit if it actually goes open source.
Yeah, I guess.

Taking them back too early would just be plain spriteful.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler: