Free Golems Discussion

General SS13 Chat
Toroic
Byond Username: Toroic

Free Golems Discussion

Post by Toroic » #290035

First off, huge thank you to the coders who have and continue to make improvements to these lavalanders, and I hope that the odds of them being spawned is increased.

Nothing is going to be superior to the github for the specific stats for each golem, this first post is going to be more about their function and what I think would be useful to make in lavaland and what role they're best suited to.

Command:

Adamantine golems are ideal for a command role, as they are the only kind that can initially speak over the golem resonance (you can implant the organ in others eventually, but the time and resource cost makes this questionable unless it's an extended round) and should contact and coordinate with the shaft miners to work together once you craft a headset.

Mining:

The best mining type is plastitanium, as it is immune to ash storms as well as lava, letting them easily traverse lavaland and dig continuously. Somewhat resistant to burn

Second best and only slightly cheaper is titanium as it's immune to ash storms and slightly burn resistant.

Combat:

There are a number of great golem types for combat, but they tend to be rather specialized.

Wood are easy to make by disassembling the initial tables, and their ability to regenerate makes them quite self-sufficient against legion and goliaths. Highly flammable but a good first golem for clearing out basic mobs.

Sand are even cheaper to make and very powerful vs colossus in particular because they're immune to bullets and highly resistant to brute. Another good type to produce but be careful of fire and watchers.

Glass reflect lasers and I believe are excellent vs watchers from range but very weak vs brute.

Plasteel are incredibly slow but have stronger, stunning punches 60% of the time makes dealing with agressive ashwalkers easy. Not sure if they're worth it apart from that.

Silver are a faster version of plasteel with worse damage. Probably superior.

Alien alloy are tough and regenerate but rare and can't speak except to abductors without a tongue transplant. Legion should provide one and they're one of the best types once that happens.

Cult metal golems have magic powers but are also quite difficult to find raw materials for, but their abilities make them excellent at unconvential combat. They can phase shift, abyssal gaze, and dominate.

Utility

Gold golems are the toughest of the "fast" golems and good for scouting and for ranged combat with a modified KA. Gold having limited other uses makes them semi-cheap to produce.

Bluespace crystal golems are good for unstable jaunting into places but are incredibly expensive

Cloth golems will self-resurrect unless their remains are burned, and are fast as well. Downside is they're fragile and there aren't any easy ways to get cloth.

Uranium Golems produce harmful radiation. Doesn't affect golems.

Plastic golems can more easily move around the station, they can ventcrawl (nude) and move through plastic flaps making them great for infiltration and stealing things.

Other/not recommended

Iron golems are unexceptional and 2 of them could be three sand golems. Not a good use of metal unless you have tons of metal

Bluespace are listed again because they aren't worth the other things you can use crystals for.

Bananium are a joke. Loud and terrible damage. Honk! That material is better used for a mech.

Plasma explode on death and take extra burn damage. Other than a suicide bomber they don't have much use.
Unprofessional Catgirl and Straightboy Supreme.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Re: Free Golems Discussion

Post by Dr_bee » #290192

I wish golems would always spawn during extended rounds. some of the best fun I have had as a golem is expanding the golem ship with new areas, Like a dedicated medbay or a xenobiology lab.

The sad thing being usually by the time the golem ship has enough to start building the shuttle is called, having them always appear on extended would solve that.

I also wish you could sign up for ghost roles such as Golem or Drone at round start, sometimes you want to just play them for a change of pace over normal station gameplay.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #291547

Plasma golems now require burning to explode. They're very flammable.
You can make cloth golems with medical gauze.
You can enter into a new shell as a golem if you don't like your type.
Diamond golems have 70% damage reduction which means about 333 health before crit.
Silver golems have extra stun chance, plasteel don't but have more damage.
Bananium exhudes bananas when hit, which can stun attackers.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #291557

Who the fuck thought making the cheapest golems have one of the strongest passives in the game (Carp martial art deflection) was balanced in any way.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #291572

D&B wrote:Who the fuck thought making the cheapest golems have one of the strongest passives in the game (Carp martial art deflection) was balanced in any way.
>Reads post
>Sand is immune to colossus
X D FUCKING T M!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #291612

W-w-w-e was golems'n'shit
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #291614

D&B wrote:Who the fuck thought making the cheapest golems have one of the strongest passives in the game (Carp martial art deflection) was balanced in any way.
well it is just ballistic weapons for one, they take double damage from much more common laser weapons.

another cheap golem the glass golem, has the opposite problem. I personally like that power, it makes the golems unique.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #291619

Glass golems should slowly turn red with burn damage and become a magma golem at high temps
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #291621

Do glass golems shatter when taking brute?
They should shatter into no less than 20 shards.
私は完璧
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #291625

Remie Richards wrote:Do glass golems shatter when taking brute?
>make golem with 10 glass
>kill it
>weld the shards
>make two golems with 20 glass...
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #291628

Remie Richards wrote:Do glass golems shatter when taking brute?
Yeah when glass die they shatter. It makes them unrecoverable
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #291629

That's good.
私は完璧
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #291631

you know
it's kinda interesting for a coder to ask code questions
instead of looking at the code, i mean
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #291633

It's laziness.
(I did actually look it up after asking + before getting a response so... /shrug)
私は完璧
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #291714

As for sand golems, they don't take double, they take triple burn damage and are unclonable after they die. They also still take (reduced) damage in melee, although it can be avoided fairly easily with a colossus i guess. Ash storms or a misstep into lava will kill them real fast tho.

All in all i don't think that golems being able to specialize against the colossus is too bad. Totally not because i want to see more Voice of God in game.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #291975

Giving the cheapest golems the easiest way to cheese megafauna is stupid and broken.

Wasn't it the same reason why they added the special interaction with Carp martial art? How is a ghost role allowed to get away with it en masse.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Toroic
Byond Username: Toroic

Post by Toroic » #292123

D&B wrote:Giving the cheapest golems the easiest way to cheese megafauna is stupid and broken.

Wasn't it the same reason why they added the special interaction with Carp martial art? How is a ghost role allowed to get away with it en masse.
I think you fundamentally misunderstand how golems work as a ghost role. Unless there are roundstart golems they'll never have time to accomplish anything of significance in a normal round, and their gameplay doesn't lend itself to a lot of scouting.

Golems are also slow and can't use a good portion of the drops from megafauna. They're also 100% nonhuman and valid.

To accomplish anything golems need someone that knows science, people to successfully mine, and a lot of resources. Unupgraded it takes 25 metal sheets plus 10 of whatever material you want the golem to be, and there is no cloning for golems. Unless metagaming miners will have better odds and equipment for fighting megafauna as golems can't use a KA without paying 1500 points for a modification kit.

It's really, really not an issue.
Unprofessional Catgirl and Straightboy Supreme.