Silicon Mech Pilots

General SS13 Chat
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Silicon Mech Pilots

Post by srifenbyxp » #303970

So I encounted this issue a while back and now it reared it's ugly head back into my life like a fucking white knighted assistant. In short -

Are there code/bug/ISHYGDDT issues with Silicon Mech Pilots?

Yesterday I made a Positronic Brain and stuffed it into a Gygax, I'm not sure if the guy was just plain retarded but he reproted issues with accessing weapons. A while back I did try with cyborg brains (once with an AI) and got a similar issue. Is there some sort of issue that pervents silicon's from cycling and using mech weapons?

Also can you make a Silicon Pilot (Jamming a brain/carded AI into a mech) after you DNA Lock it?
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Re: Silicon Mech Pilots

Post by bman » #303979

Yes

MMI in mecha is fucked. posibrains maybe.
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #303980

This should be fixed post haste! I've always wanted to subvert the AI and it's slaves then stuff them into mechs.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #304088

yeah this peeves me pretty bad I just wanna be a dreadnaught but the game wont let me
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #304101

Isn't it something retarded, like middle-mouse to shoot?
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #304106

Middle mouse to use equipment, i'm not sure if that's also bugged or if those that report this didn't know about it
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #304111

XDTM wrote:Middle mouse to use equipment, i'm not sure if that's also bugged or if those that report this didn't know about it
No it fully doesnt work, last time I tried it I didnt get hud boxes or anything, just was a mech.
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #304128

Nilons wrote:
XDTM wrote:Middle mouse to use equipment, i'm not sure if that's also bugged or if those that report this didn't know about it
No it fully doesnt work, last time I tried it I didnt get hud boxes or anything, just was a mech.
either this happens or you cant use any of your equipment, cant move, or both.
KAP
Byond Username: Kaptin alexander

Post by KAP » #304500

I can confirm this is bugged, it only works about half the time, like you have to spam the middle mouse button, clicking about six times before it will work.

It should really be moved or something, or have the AI controls be middle mouse button

There's no gameplay reason AI controls should be the primary click when you're piloting a mech, hop out of the mech if you wanna use the Ai actions
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #304873

KAP wrote:
I can confirm this is bugged, it only works about half the time, like you have to spam the middle mouse button, clicking about six times before it will work.

It should really be moved or something, or have the AI controls be middle mouse button

There's no gameplay reason AI controls should be the primary click when you're piloting a mech, hop out of the mech if you wanna use the Ai actions
It would be really nice if you guys reported these issues where coders can track them...

I was told to make the mech controls work on a different button because I was checking every one of AI's left-clicks for the existence of a mech. Middle-mouse was unused for AIs, so I bound it to that. No one should be confused about this, however, because you are told in huge blue text when you load up into the mech.

I need more information about this bug, as I am not able to reproduce it locally. Are you taking into account the longer mecha equipment delays? What equipment is giving you trouble? Give me as much detail about the environment as you can. Also, next time, post your bug reports in GitHub, It is by pure chance that I happened upon this thread.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #304879

A intellicard piloting a mech (AI beacons before they were cool) particularly a firefighter and ripley mech will burn (the unprotected ripley mech it will break down eventually but the intellicard burns first) if they go across lava.

So there's a thought there that the items burning over lava bug also extends to silicon object bodies.

Spoiler:
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #304889

FantasticFwoosh wrote:A intellicard piloting a mech (AI beacons before they were cool) particularly a firefighter and ripley mech will burn (the unprotected ripley mech it will break down eventually but the intellicard burns first) if they go across lava.

So there's a thought there that the items burning over lava bug also extends to silicon object bodies.
This cannot happen to AIs, because there is no intellicard object inside the mech. The card simply puts the AI mob into the mech. The uploader keeps the card.

I just tested this with an AI to be sure, and I took no damage walking in lava, although the Ripley was eventually destroyed. The ore box did not catch fire either. I tried it with a posibrain mech too, but I might not have waited long enough to see if the brain would burn.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #304908

Maybe he means the AI beacon?
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #304957

Anonmare wrote:Maybe he means the AI beacon?
The AI, regardless of transfer method, is not stored in any objects except the mech itself. It is not at risk of being burned in lava. I tested again just to be fully sure. The AI beacon object did not seem to be burned in the lava either. FF will need to explain in more detail what is wrong.
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #306132

So will this ever be fixed for silicon fun?
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #306133

There's a fix pr up.
私は完璧
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #306141

Good news I bothered gun hog and made the issue report for him he says he can fix it
Signature Memes

FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #306307

I will need to call some sort of humanitarian charity to help build a school in this community to teach you literacy because i literally put it in the sentence.
Gun Hog wrote:
The AI, regardless of transfer method, is not stored in any objects except the mech itself. It is not at risk of being burned in lava. I tested again just to be fully sure. The AI beacon object did not seem to be burned in the lava either. FF will need to explain in more detail what is wrong.
My suggested method was the old method, in which a MMI, intellicard (swipe the ai and put the card inside the mech, it can now pilot it as its body and use all of their AI & mech functions) and summary posibrains of all varieties as silicon ckey holding objects being able to steer a mech.
FantasticFwoosh wrote:A intellicard - piloting a mech - will burn - the intellicard burns first - if they go across lava.
A default ripley mech will from memory not actually be damaged in its active state, but instead the driver inside it will burn to death if it is not a firefighter ripley mech, and when the user dies inside the cockpit, the ripley mech will revert to its open state and break. In silicon driven ckey holding items, this happens by the object holding the ckey burning.
Mmm what did he mean by this!?

Spoiler:
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #306316

There's a thing roboticists can build that they can install in a mech that lets an AI remotely pilot a mech if it has it installed (like remotely controlling an AI shell cyborg). Difference between installing an AI manually or dominating a mech is that a pilot can kick an AI out of the mech and send it back to its core.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #306323

Jesus christ, this is before the beacon was even a thing. I've been controlling mechs as AI for ages.

Its not that i don't know, its that i don't care and the beacon isn't relevant to the bug but does functionally the same thing.

Spoiler:
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #306673

Clearly there is a failure to communicate here. I will explain this as clearly as I can, based on my understanding of your report:

There are three ways for an AI (The station AI that spawns in the AI chamber) to enter a mech. None of them directly involve MMIs or Positronic Brains.

1) Direct upload: A human player cards the AI, then uses it on a mech to upload the AI. The card is not inserted into the mech. It remains with the human player, and the AI is not contained within the intellicard while piloting the mech.

2) Remote upload via AI beacon: A human player prints out an AI mech beacon, and attaches it to a mech. The AI clicks on the mech and uses the control link to upload itself to the mech remotely. The actual AI is now inside the mech, and an inactive core is left in its old location.

3) Malf hack: A Traitor AI buys the mech virus malf module, and then clicks on a mech to get the control link, just like AI mech beacons, except that this works with any mech, even ones with pilots. The pilot, if any, is ejected by force, including MMIs/posibrains.

I have tested these cases with a Ripley. I played as an AI mech pilot, walked on lava and took no damage or burning until the mech itself was destroyed. I did not experience any sort of damage as the AI. However, When damage got critical, equipment items (Drill, scanner, etc) were destroyed. This is normal and intended.

Since you seem dissatisfied with my first response, I presume that you may possibly have been talking about Positronic Brains and MMIs. I walked over lava as an Posibrain controlling a Ripley. The fire destroyed it and some of my equipment, but my brain was entirely okay.

Next, I piloted a Ripley as a human, and played as a carded AI using the dual login trick. Again, I walked over lava and allowed the mech to be destroyed. Both I and the card were fine. No issues.

The two bugs I note from this testing are first that lava damage is considered a direct attack, outputting VERY ANNOYING SPAM, and armor deflection outputs. Second, an MMI/Posibrain of a destroyed mech will spam 'you climb out of <mech name>' whenever the player uses a movement key.

I am at a loss. I do not understand your bug report, and I do not understand your conditions for reproducing this bug.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #306700

It is contained, all you have to do is enable the intellicards functions to interact with the surrounding machinery, but it will retain the controls of the mech for the best of both worlds. It happened to me once and it might have summarily changed or been fixed forward of that point.

Spoiler:
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #306823

FantasticFwoosh wrote:It is contained, all you have to do is enable the intellicards functions to interact with the surrounding machinery, but it will retain the controls of the mech for the best of both worlds. It happened to me once and it might have summarily changed or been fixed forward of that point.
Is this some sort of exploit where you can keep an AI in a card and inside a mech at the same time? I fixed a similar bug regarding action buttons recently.

I need you to explain how to do this, step by step. DO NOT LEAVE OUT ANY STEPS. TELL ME EVERY SINGLE ACTION AND CLICK. Pretend you are explaining this to a noob that has never played before.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #306837

Its been a while, ill come back after i've tested this again but for now some vague memories of how to do this, this used to be common knowledge a year or two back when i started playing.

From memory it involves either yourself (as a human) dragging the intellicard using the cursor onto the empty mech after activating its localised AI functions to load it inside from the outside (like how you pull the cursor to your own sprite to inspect someone's inventory) or to drive the mech over the intellicards square and then the intellicard drags itself using the mouse cursor onto and inside the mech. I remember it being easy to do from memory.

> You're the person who coded mechs to drop intellicards driving when the mech is destroyed as a feature after all, who are you and what have you done with the real Gun-Hog?

Spoiler:
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #306901

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Its been a while, ill come back after i've tested this again but for now some vague memories of how to do this, this used to be common knowledge a year or two back when i started playing.

From memory it involves either yourself (as a human) dragging the intellicard using the cursor onto the empty mech after activating its localised AI functions to load it inside from the outside (like how you pull the cursor to your own sprite to inspect someone's inventory) or to drive the mech over the intellicards square and then the intellicard drags itself using the mouse cursor onto and inside the mech. I remember it being easy to do from memory.

> You're the person who coded mechs to drop intellicards driving when the mech is destroyed as a feature after all, who are you and what have you done with the real Gun-Hog?
I have tested these procedures, and it seems the bug you are referencing is no longer present. I was not able to load the AI from a card using mouse-drop at all, only directly hitting the mech with the card, as intended. Walking the mech over the card and trying to do this as the AI yielded no results either.

Also note that a destroyed mech which had an AI as the pilot does not drop an Intellicard. The wreck gains a bright green recovery beacon that allows a human player to card the dead AI from the wreckage. You must have your own card, one is not provided to you as there was never a card in the mech. In testing this, I found that the AI retains the action buttons from the destroyed mech. They serve no function as the mech they control is gone, but I will look into a fix for that.

I think that whatever bug you were originally reporting has been fixed.
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #308150

Well I did try attaching a AI control beacon to a gygax yesterday. The AI reported he was unable to use any of the weapons or even punch.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #308185

Was he middle-mouse clicking?
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #308228

He said he was non-ICly. Insisted he was a firmware issue and every .exe wasn't working
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #308334

srifenbyxp wrote:He said he was non-ICly. Insisted he was a firmware issue and every .exe wasn't working
The AI pilot is told in bold, blue text that mech controls are run with middle-mouse. I just tested this locally with no issues. It used to be Goofball sized text, but Goonchat seems to have broken that.