The problem with SS13

General SS13 Chat
mikeike545
Byond Username: Mikeike545

The problem with SS13

Post by mikeike545 » #306722

Alright so I've been playing ss13 for a long time now. Ever since 2014, even though I didn't play it so much in between when I first started and now. And I find myself more confused now than ever at the state of the game.

Around two days ago I was in a round in which I was the chaplain, not too much happened so far, the geneticist gave me and the HoP hulk. The HoP apparently broke something and so one crew member, a scientist, had began to complain about hulks and say the AI should kill them and they should be arrested. So the scientist starts attacking the HoP. I arrested the scientist, despite being a chaplain, because I thought it wouldn't be very fun to just outright murder him. During when I arrested them some miner didn't like that very much and chased me all the way to security, in which they shot me several times with a KA right in front of the HoS. HoS didn't stop them, so I attacked the miner. The HoS, watching the entire thing, decides to help the miner and try to kill me. I kind of just stood there and asked them to stop especially since he tried to stun me when hulks are immune to that. He then just switched to lethals and killed me despite me just standing there asking him to stop. He never revived my body. I ahelped this but apparently HoS claimed he only saw me attack. The point of this story is that it was more beneficial to me as a player to just have killed the scientist for trying to kill someone else and calling for the murder of me and the HoP than it was for me to try to keep them alive for funs sake. And this is just a recent story off the top of my head, because trying to play by the rules just got me killed by a security member who apparently either wasn't paying attention or didn't care enough. I can't speak for everyone but I can say that security, at least recently in the past month or two, has just made the game really unfun for me, even as a non antag.

The amount of stuff they're allowed to just do without any check or balance is wrong. The AI is probably the only IC counterweight to security, and that's only if they harm, and that's only if the AI feels like intervening or hasn't gotten laws from the HoS. Yesterday I was playing curator and got dragged to the HoS office after being shot with a confiscated .357. I told the ai this and they decided to warn sec, they later killed me and the AI again did nothing. And they can get away with pulling out lethals incredibly easily despite having access to 5 different stun methods, one of which is a huge aoe flashbang that they didn't even bother to attempt to use in a much earlier 'riot' incident in a botched nuke ops round.

I have seen like, four whole court sessions in my years of playing. Lawyers never get to really set one up and when I talk about this several people always pitch in and go 'WELL I CAN DO IT' but never play lawyer apparently. The few lawyers I see are either memers or they're just playing security but with less risk of being targeted.

Point being, I don't think there's enough IC or OOC limits to sec. I remember playing sec requiring much more thought and more nonlethal approach, lest you get bwoinked. They have the easy capability to end someones round either entirely or throw them in a cell for 5-10 minutes. Now I'm sure sec officers get bwoinked a hell of a lot more than I'd like to think but it sure doesn't seem to be working.

A while ago I had gotten a note and finally had it removed with the admin telling me they don't think killing should be your option. But to that I must ask; What incentive do I have as a non sec officer to even mildly attempt to nonlethally stop someone, or even drag them to the medbay after killing them in self defense, for example? On top of that, what incentive does security have to non-lethally stop someone?
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Re: The problem with SS13

Post by TheColdTurtle » #306723

It is an issue with too many players who don't care about actual rp, just getting Dem valids.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #306724

Re: complaining about the HoS not magically divining the whole story when all he saw was a hulk chaplain getting in a fight with some guy in front of his brig after hearing the radio screaming about hulks fucking shit up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally%E2%80%93Anne_test
mikeike545

Post by mikeike545 » #306728

Except I already explained that I was the one who was attacked first, clearly, in front of the HoS. And even if he wasn't, I wasn't doing anything harmful or threatening after he started firing. I stood there and just said 'stop' and 'wait' like thrice. Like even if he didn't directly see the KA hit me, which he would because of the fact that it shows up on your chat and even if it wasn't he didn't revive me even after he was bwoinked for it, he crit me, cuffed me, dragged me into the brig and let me die. Why not stun the miner and just ask a single question?

Also you misunderstood, it was merely one scientist screaming for hulks to be killed. Or at least that I noticed.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #306839

Hulks are like mechs in that no matter what you do people will assume you're the bad guy
mikeike545

Post by mikeike545 » #306903

missed point
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #306930

TheColdTurtle wrote:It is an issue with too many players who don't care about actual rp, just getting Dem valids.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #306966

tgstation has long abandoned any pretense of proper roleplay. Aside from the absolute bare minimum you can pretty much get away with almost anything.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #306986

Oh come on

>get hulk
>other hulk apparently breaks something
>the scientist gets seen attacking the hop, so you get yourself involved
>you get seen attacking the scientist, so a miner gets involved
>you get seen attacking the miner, so the HoS gets involved
>you complain about the HoS involving themselves and making a reasonable assumption its the hulk that's in the wrong

You were defending someone who had allegedly broken something in the first place. While we wish for players to have the freedom to go full hulk retard by defending fellow idiot hulks, part of that is accepting someone else will react to that. You could have defended the HoP over the radio, maybe attempt to find out what he broke so you could fix things or apologize on his behalf or just not get involved in the first place if you didn't want to deal with people making a safe assumption for them when hulks are involved.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #307006

L I G H T R P
I
G
H
T

R
P
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #307008

if you niggas use that disgusting meaningless buzzword one more time I swear

Look on the other hand there was this lovely tator yesterday or the day before who opened up a nice shop with tator items in escape. No one broke in, no one valided them as far as I remember, and people just came over to civilly trade for things. That was nice, really nice.
mikeike545

Post by mikeike545 » #307017

Since when does arrest imply attack. :? I never was seen attacking the scientist because I never did. What the heck. Also I said I attacked the miner, after being attacked by said miner, in front of the HoS who stood there and watched. What the heck. The HoS who continued to try to kill me as I stood still and started saying 'wait' and 'stop' because they didn't do anything to the miner who was obviously trying to kill me in front of him. And the scientist was just loudly saying all hulks should be killed and arrested.
I draw a fine line between killing someone for breaking something and arresting them for breaking something m'dude. So even if the hop did who cares. And what was apparently broken was never really said anyway.

It really sucks when people just imply stuff happened that didn't happen and also ignore the point which was that a leap was made by the HoS when I clearly gave up fighting, he continued to kill me. And not only that but, yet again, he didn't even revive me after he was bwoinked or bother to find out what happened after the fact. Ignoring certain parts of my original post certainly does make it easier to respond to, I know.

Like lmao today I got bwoinked for beating the clown into crit in medbay for trying to hit me with a pot repeatedly but apparently that didn't show up because he missed like half the time he kept trying to throw it at me.
Last edited by mikeike545 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #307020

1) This is a policy thread

2) "a long time" is not since 2014

3) This policy thread has been a million times and it would be more constructive to pitch into those threads than to add another drop to the bucket
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #307039

imblyings wrote:if you niggas use that disgusting meaningless buzzword one more time I swear

Look on the other hand there was this lovely tator yesterday or the day before who opened up a nice shop with tator items in escape. No one broke in, no one valided them as far as I remember, and people just came over to civilly trade for things. That was nice, really nice.
Yeah guys, get with the times, everyone knows /tg/ is mid rp.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #307118

D&B wrote:
imblyings wrote:if you niggas use that disgusting meaningless buzzword one more time I swear

Yeah guys, get with the times, everyone knows /tg/ is mid rp.
:(
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #307130

The problem with SS13 is lack of non-antag content and lack of incentive to work together.

SS13 would be a 1000 times more interesting if without cooperation the crew (including traitors) simply would not survive. That means traitors must join in this cooperation and only backstab on strategic moments to achieve their objectives and escape alive.
Last edited by CPTANT on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #307134

On one hand, it's too common for crew to go full on greytide and then complain when security cracks down on them. On the other, security officers who just ignore all attempts to talk it out and de-escalate and dedicate themselves fully to their manhunt are absolute scum too.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #307135

Walls of text.
Last edited by srifenbyxp on Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #307137

Lifeweb does that very well.

In their OS13 game mode, some people spawn on a 600 year old, derelict, space station. The station is falling apart, the AI is dead, they have no food or water in storage, no engine, all the solar arrays are busted and blown up, little power in reserve, everyone spawns in a giant cyro tube room with no access until the Captain gives it to them, many areas of the station have little visibility and the station is under constant threat of being hit by meteors that require someone to be constantly manning a communications console to check for incoming asteroid strikes so they can activate the shields.

In addition, the crew start with sub-standard equipment. Even the most basic items like laser guns and portable health analyzer's are unavailable. Its up to RnD to rediscover their "lost" technology and then use resources to produce these basic items. Further hampered that the station has no minerals left so its up to Pilots to explore derelicts to recover minerals and resources for usage.

One of the crew members is a Traitor, and this traitor is left with a moral dilemma. They are stuck 600 years in the future, everyone they've ever known is dead and the corporations that hired you likely do not exist anymore. As far as you know your crew are the last remnant of humanity, but you swore to uphold your instructions and you are fiercely loyal to the Syndicate. The question is, do you uphold your 600 year old orders or do you abandon them for the greater good (not to mention there is a OOC incentive to finish your orders as you get a reward for doing that).

----

If the station was remade so that the crew, from the get go, need to repair the station and constantly repair and power it to protect it from meteor strikes and alien infestations/pirate raids, that would add a great moral and practical dilemma to traitors. The more people you kill, the more areas of the station you damage, the less of a chance the crew have to survive being stranded.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #307252

>literal standard of "if you go lower than this you get security banned" player screams light rp as a shitpost
lol.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #307326

Nilons wrote:2) "a long time" is not since 2014
shit newfags say
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #307329

High RP is a horribly boring slog.
Low RP is a validfest of shittery.

Both sides have problems.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #307337

PKPenguin321 wrote:
shit newfags say
been playing ss13 on d20station since 2012, tgstation is not the only server you rat cunt
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

tacolizard
Byond Username: Tacolizard
Github Username: Tacolizard

Post by tacolizard » #307338

except when I don't roll tator and open a shop people just break in and steal shit, sec doesn't care, and if i defend myself I get arrested.
mikeike545

Post by mikeike545 » #307342

Nilons wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
shit newfags say
been playing ss13 on d20station since 2012, tgstation is not the only server you rat cunt
>only two more years
>tries to be pedantic about 'old', a completely subjective thing
right into the trash
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #307346

mikeike545 wrote:
Nilons wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
shit newfags say
>only two more years
>tries to be pedantic about 'old', a completely subjective thing
right into the trash
Didn't say 2012 was old, said 2014 was not, read a book dude
Signature Memes

Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #307354

anyone who judges people by account age is unironically not worth listening to
Limey wrote:its too late.
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #307355

Qbopper wrote:anyone who judges people by account age is unironically not worth listening to
Rest in peace PKP you had just come back from the dead to start posting again
Signature Memes

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #307367

Hey how old is my account i forget
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #307396

Super Aggro Crag wrote:Hey how old is my account i forget
2012-07-31 19:11:58
idk when logging started you might be older
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #307409

your byond account crag was made in 2010.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #307411

I might be a newfag
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #307418

its okay crag i still love you for who you are.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Cherrypone
Byond Username: Cherrypone

Post by Cherrypone » #308085

The 'Problem with SS13' (or more like problem with /tg/station) is that the playerbase is full of blithering retards, assholes and idiots.
imo
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #308541

Cherrypone wrote:The 'Problem with SS13' (or more like problem with /tg/station) is that the playerbase is full of blithering retards, assholes and idiots.
imo
this is a given
Limey wrote:its too late.
Professor Hangar
Byond Username: Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #311931

People need to treat SS13 more like the multiplayer Dorf Fort it is; the real goal is to accomplish whatever you can before dying hilariously.
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #311946

The problem with SS13 is that people take their spessmens too seriously

Source: Every post in this thread
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #312007

Content. Goals.
You lack them. The antagonism transcends just the role into the players, whether or not they even have the 'green light' they are shit to eachother; this has happened because of idle hands of Humans.
All the while being 'constrained' by the rules. Except the rules can be worked. The worst know how to do just this, security being one side of it, just legitimized. And by rules I mean IC as well as OOC, in our OPs issue, his was by playing ball with security by including them.
The problem? Putting faith into people you don't know probably, for no reason other than they are security. You don't involve others unless you're willing to accept how they might see what you're doing as someone else pointed out.
'Oh yeah, this guy I killed was trying to debrain me and vent escape. You have my word!' Just your word. Their faith in you and your word.

This is the hell you chose. Nobody wants more mechanics involved to keep a player busy, meaning they have nothing but time and their normally half-assed 'job' be it janitor or scientist, with little to no compunction to stick with anything and no reason for anyone to make them. There's little else to do. Except be absolute shit to eachother and then hide behind the shining light of the 'rules' when it doesn't go your way.
TrustyGun wrote:The problem with SS13 is that people take their spessmens too seriously

Source: Every post in this thread
People put time into adminning it, coding it, and playing or having it played it. So yes, they'll take it with a modicum of seriousness. That was their time, and this includes the players because without players the server don't add up to much. You don't have to engage in the discussion but you can fuck right off if you don't care either because it adds up to the same result of you not mattering to the solution and are maybe part of the symptom.