Can the SM run on pure oxygen?

General SS13 Chat
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Can the SM run on pure oxygen?

Post by CPTANT » #307138

The wiki states plasma is more dangerous than oxygen in the SM and it states the roundstart engine can't run on pure plasma. However this somewhat implies that it can run on pure oxygen (since that is a safer gas).

However my testings reveal that even with an expanded cooling loop of around 3-4 times the standard amount pure oxygen just instantly overheats the SM.

Is it actually possible to run the engine on pure oxygen?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Re: Can the SM run on pure oxygen?

Post by D&B » #307183

It can't, it doesn't have legs
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
SJ212
Byond Username: Seanjohn212

Post by SJ212 » #307200

Well, first problem is the SM produces oxygen, so you have to moderate that(which isn't too difficult). That aside, I've found irregardless of pressure, pure O2 is unstable, but a dab of N2(~5%) seems to work fine. Haven't tested N2O but that may work as well.
ohnopigeons
Byond Username: Ohnopigeons
Github Username: ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #307225

CPTANT wrote:However my testings reveal that even with an expanded cooling loop of around 3-4 times the standard amount pure oxygen just instantly overheats the SM.
How is it overheating
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #307229

ohnopigeons wrote:
CPTANT wrote:However my testings reveal that even with an expanded cooling loop of around 3-4 times the standard amount pure oxygen just instantly overheats the SM.
How is it overheating
By spewing insane amounts of hot gas even without being hit my emitters?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #307258

D&B wrote:It can't, it doesn't have legs
what gas has legs holy shit
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #307264

It can on low pressure, where most of the waste produced by the SM is plasma
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #307270

Anonmare wrote:It can on low pressure, where most of the waste produced by the SM is plasma
But plasma is even worse.....
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #307348

Yeah but plasma you can filter out without having to carefully filter out your coolant. Plus a low-pressure set-up is easier to cool.

Downside is, they get clogged easier so you want to make sure to replace your pumps with volume ones and have bypasses+emergency freezers in place in case of clogged pipes

My current project is to perfect a plasma/CO2 set-up but that set-up goes bad even quicker than a pure O2 one does. I have found that putting in space troughs slows down the delamination and ensures you don't get cooked to death while working the engine but I haven't been able to make it stable yet.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #307422

I managed to make a semi-stable plasma engine, but I couldn't make it out of pure plasma and CO2.

The gas mix is about:
20% N2
30% plasma
20% CO2
30% N2O

With the vents set to 2500 kPa

it was very temperamental and balanced on the precipice of instability constantly but, without coaxing, it would never become more unstable than it already was. I dared not use the emitters as it was constantly threatening to go critical at the slightest change.

It produced a frightening amount of power when used in conjunction with near absolute zero plasma tanks and at the minimum produced over 4 megawatts.

I had to expose the entire observation chamber to space just to keep it from cooking engineering to death.

NOT PICTURED: The bluespace freezers to the right that barely kept it above room temperature
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #307430

Reminder that adding it to the air subsystem made everything 4x faster, including heat and waste generation. You guys still need to rebalance it for this.