/tg/ station playstyle, Powergaming vs [E]RPing

General SS13 Chat
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

/tg/ station playstyle, Powergaming vs [E]RPing

Post by CitrusGender » #324717

so after consulting with some of the /tg/ crew, many people felt that there was a powergaming problem and I decided to make a poll to actually give data to that problem. Here are the results:

(raw poll data here, feel free to vote if you haven't already) http://www.strawpoll.me/13652824/

To be honest, I am slightly surprised that many hardliner RP folks emerged and only two people professed to be completely powergamers. Maybe it was a problem with the wording of the poll or do you guys feel like it's accurate? Personally, I fall more on the powergame style of the spectrum, but that may be because I play medical mostly and it's rather difficult to roleplay while playing medical (since people are screaming at you to heal them.) Just thought I'd post the results here for discussion. The poll was posted to both bagil and sybil as well as the /tg/ station discord so (as of now) we have 58 votes, which was much more than I expected.

Thoughts?
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Re: /tg/ station playstyle, Powergaming vs [E]RPing

Post by AnonymousNow » #324726

"RP oriented by may Powergame sometimes" is now in the lead, mind.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #324729

Because people who don't play and only shitpost on the forums are voting for it now.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #324732

I find it cute how everyone powergames to a different degree and yet some treat it like a dirty little word.

It's a worthless label that some oldfags and rarely plays use to try to gain a faux high ground.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #324860

I think in another thread the "powergame" problem was identified more as a lack of sportmanship.

To make an example, if you examined someone and you saw their backpack as "chameleon backpack", despite it being identical to a normal one, would you:
A - Ignore it
B - Tell the guy and close an eye
C - VALID

Picking C is technically justified, since the guy is a traitor and may end up bombing something and so on, but it still kinda sucks as the traitor got arrested/killed not because of his actions or planned actions, but because his "antag" label was showing.
Stuff like this leads to salt and resentment, which spills out onto future rounds where the guy will just try to get his entertainment as early as possible, before being stopped, which usually means minute one bomb/murderbone. Which in turn means that sec and validhunters will escalate and try to permanently stop any antags they spot, because many are trying to do as much damage as possible as early as possible, leading to a vicious cycle that's especially annoying to the people in the middle who get murderboned by the antags and arrested by an overzealous security.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #324892

XDTM wrote:I think in another thread the "powergame" problem was identified more as a lack of sportmanship.
This is the major problem in my opinion. neither security nor antagonists give the other side any slack. Security treats any sign that a person might be an antagonist as free reign to kill people, which often leads to people being straight up murdered for having shoes with fancy grip on the bottom.

from an RP perspective that is fucking horrifying, and from a gameplay perspective this leads to boring rounds. Antagonists are the cause of FUN during a round, killing them early just means boring as fuck rounds.

In turn, antags dont give sec any slack, and non-antags dont either for that matter. People actively fuck with security officers who arent gestapo.

This can only really be changed with a policy change. Antags would need to lose their perma-valid status, with murdering them for no reason having the same (or possibly slightly diminished) consequences as murdering anyone else for flimsy reasoning.

In turn, fucking with Sec as a non antag needs to be an OOC issue more often. And murdering a sec officer with flimsy cause needs to be considered more severe than murdering any other crewman, considering it is THEIR JOB to do what would be escalation worthy if done by any other job.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #324897

RP to give people the benefit of the doubt and a warning and its a inevitable slide to they'll do the antag think you just asked them to not do immediately after you leave.

And when you're proactive you're turbohitler powergamer. Mmmhmm.

Spoiler:
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #324911

XDTM wrote:I think in another thread the "powergame" problem was identified more as a lack of sportmanship.

To make an example, if you examined someone and you saw their backpack as "chameleon backpack", despite it being identical to a normal one, would you:
A - Ignore it
B - Tell the guy and close an eye
C - VALID

Picking C is technically justified, since the guy is a traitor and may end up bombing something and so on, but it still kinda sucks as the traitor got arrested/killed not because of his actions or planned actions, but because his "antag" label was showing.
Like, as security, that's my job. He was wearing a chameleon backpack and got caught. It's fairly likely that I'll arrest him, search him, and release with a tracker/chem implant and confiscate his PDA because he is in fact an enemy of the corporation, and could be doing something to endanger the crew/sec. Really poor sportsmanship would be killing him over this under normal circumstances- if shit is fucked I can understand it. Otherwise it's just security doing their job, next time he should plan better/understand the game mechanic better.
Dr_bee wrote:
This is the major problem in my opinion. neither security nor antagonists give the other side any slack. Security treats any sign that a person might be an antagonist as free reign to kill people, which often leads to people being straight up murdered for having shoes with fancy grip on the bottom.

from an RP perspective that is fucking horrifying, and from a gameplay perspective this leads to boring rounds. Antagonists are the cause of FUN during a round, killing them early just means boring as fuck rounds.

In turn, antags dont give sec any slack, and non-antags dont either for that matter. People actively fuck with security officers who arent gestapo.

This can only really be changed with a policy change. Antags would need to lose their perma-valid status, with murdering them for no reason having the same (or possibly slightly diminished) consequences as murdering anyone else for flimsy reasoning.

In turn, fucking with Sec as a non antag needs to be an OOC issue more often. And murdering a sec officer with flimsy cause needs to be considered more severe than murdering any other crewman, considering it is THEIR JOB to do what would be escalation worthy if done by any other job.
Baystation is that way. Nonantags fucking with sec on slow rounds creatively can be fun for both sides, some of the funnest "rev" rounds I've had have been putting down/aiding riots caused by RP reasons all done by nonantags (or fueled by antagonists). Tiding security 4noraisins isn't funny or especially fun, but finding a good IC reason to do so and starting a riot is fun for both sides. We should have more IC issues instead of OOC issues, as demonstrated by Russell's ban appeal in which he got noted for killing a clown that stole his flightsuit, which is about as IC as it gets.

Anyways, onto the subject of the thread- I try to RP a lot, but oftentimes I'm in positions where it's difficult to RP without getting murdered, which I hate having happen to me as security because my ID/gear getting lose can endanger my fellow officers/crewmates. On team antagonist rounds, RP pretty much does not happen or happens during slow moments only for me since I'm generally trying to fight the threat. Extended, traitorling, wizard rounds, etc, tend to see more roleplay from me at least because there isn't a round ending threat that needs to be combatted. (Don't take this the wrong way, I still enjoy team antag rounds, just stating that they don't have as much RP unless the antagonists are bad, in which case welcome to pseudo extended with sec as the main antagonist)
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #324939

"powergamer" is like "hipster," no one's going to admit to being one
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #324941

Playing as sec I would say it isn't even that common to find non-harmful antags. Those usually go under the radar.

The only time such items are found is usually when the person arrested was committing other crimes anyway.

But even then I probably won't perma/kill you just for having some shitty traitor item.

Things like emags however just completely fuck up the station and will land you in perma if you are caught with one.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #324943

bandit wrote:"powergamer" is like "hipster," no one's going to admit to being one
It's a shit term anyway, because playing to complete your objectives or prevent antags from completing theirs is part of the game.

Gamemodes like rev, gang and cult are virtually always pure powergaming by both sides.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
1g88a
Byond Username: Ig88A

Post by 1g88a » #324992

Powergaming is more of a state of mind than any one specific action (outside of say, counting staff to guess if its flukeops) in my opinion.
DEAD: ADMIN(Hornygranny) says, "you play in my universe, normie"
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #324993

bandit wrote:"powergamer" is like "hipster," no one's going to admit to being one
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master

Post by CitrusGender » #324996

Wyzack wrote:

I mean, it is an anonymous poll. Though, I think you are correct: perhaps using a word different than powergaming would make more sense. Perhaps saying "Do you play to win or do you play to roleplay?" and the various levels of said extremity. Still, I feel like powergaming should speak for itself as "playing to win."
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #325078

CitrusGender wrote:
Wyzack wrote:

I mean, it is an anonymous poll. Though, I think you are correct: perhaps using a word different than powergaming would make more sense. Perhaps saying "Do you play to win or do you play to roleplay?" and the various levels of said extremity. Still, I feel like powergaming should speak for itself as "playing to win."
That's not how words work. The word powergamer has a negative connotation, playing to win far less so.

It's like the difference between calling someone a whore or a prostitute.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #325128

Deitus wrote:the term "powergamer" seriously pisses me off, it is a buzzword amongst buzzwords.

like seriously, if its a traitorling with adrenals/double esword/fleshmend then you can start complaining a bit, but 99.99% of the time people use the phrase it is a huge case of the gitguds

2 examples:
>people whining and bitching in deadchat about dying to cyrostings
>this had been going on for a long time and deaths due to it were piling up
>"ugh gosh its so op there's literally no counter it needs to be removed"
>hey guys why not just drink some coffee/stand under a cold shower/slap some burn heals on for a minute or two? that'l fix it right up
>"wow that is so fucking powergamey sorry im not as big a shitter as you"

>play as RD on blob round
>immediately kick rnd into overdrive
>scream into comms/pda/use RD announcer to tell cargo to get combat shotguns
>other crew tell them to do it too
>have everything i need but the guns
>go to cargo to pick them up
>they had ordered a bunch of eguns
>blob wins easily
>me and a bunch of others grill the dude in post-round OOC
>"i didnt know im new to cargo"
>dude at LEAST five different people were telling you to do this repeatedly, if we had x-rays we couldve won
>"x-rays are so powergamey, stop being powergamers idiots"

objective knowledge about game mechanics is NOT powergaming, and if you unironically use this phrase i can bet money you just got your shit kicked in and are using it to whine. use of this phrase is the easiest way to spot shitters / people who need to get fucking good.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #325130

>selfquoting
Commit sudoku.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #325132

DemonFiren wrote:>selfquoting
Commit sudoku.
he's completely right though
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #325134

Commit sudoku.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #325135

DemonFiren wrote:
Commit sudoku.
now hol up a sec
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #325160

Armhulen wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:
Commit sudoku.
now hol up a sec

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #325164

CosmicScientist wrote:He seeeees it.
what a pretty frog
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #325174

this poll uses the term powergaming juxtaposed next to RP, implying that there's no in-between and that powergaming is defined as playing the game like it's a video game, which it is, which is kind of confusing
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #325201

TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #325204

Anyone who votes "very rp orientated" should play the game once
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #325206

oranges wrote:Image
Cute!
1g88a
Byond Username: Ig88A

Post by 1g88a » #325208

PKPenguin321 wrote:this poll uses the term powergaming juxtaposed next to RP, implying that there's no in-between and that powergaming is defined as playing the game like it's a video game, which it is, which is kind of confusing
A better poll would probably be just asking how likely people are to run a gimmick/hang around the bars/stages/etc. or try to create events (fight clubs etc) themselves.
DEAD: ADMIN(Hornygranny) says, "you play in my universe, normie"
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master

Post by CitrusGender » #325222

oranges wrote:Image
hi oranges

CPTANT wrote:
CitrusGender wrote:
Wyzack wrote:

That's not how words work. The word powergamer has a negative connotation, playing to win far less so.

It's like the difference between calling someone a whore or a prostitute.
This I understand. Alright, does that mean that I need to run the poll again but instead of calling it powergaming, I'll call it "playing to win" versus "playing to roleplay" with the inbetween. That was kind what i was trying to replicate penguins, but obviously the meaning of powergaming to some people causes "rp and powergame oriented" to be too abstract. guess I need to do another vote, unless anyone else has any other ideas