Why do you play in this community?

General SS13 Chat
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Why do you play in this community?

Post by Lovecraft » #26947

Was just curious to see the kinds of responses this would get.
I'll toss my reply in when I'm a little less completely exhausted.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Re: Why do you play in this community?

Post by Ikarrus » #26951

At first I fell in love with this game for its complexity and uniqueness.

TG was the first server I really played on (On /v/'s recommendation), and it really stuck with me. I've never really RP'd before but the light RP policies here really encouraged me to try it out, and I ended up loving it. It took me a month to get a decent handle on the game, and I've been unable to keep away for long since.

SS13 filled a hole left after I lost interest in TF2 as my go-to past-time.

Nowadays, I've become incredibly invested with emotion, time, and effort. I want to take this game forward and help improve it and it's community.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #26959

I find it more fun nowadays to play other games with the community rather than actually playing SS13.
/tg/station still made some pretty cool people i love u all guys <3
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #26962

Sane administration for the most part. After I rightfully got banned from goon I ran into shit like an LLA ai hunting a wizard because it had just decided they weren't human without a law change and an admin who may have been playing the AI backing it up latter, I was the drooling moron's borg (didn't even lock me down when we disagreed) and I basically kept the wizard alive against the AI and station until they eventually changed my laws. Then one server from what I recall had tentacle mobs that admins spawned to make rape jokes. Latter on after I came here I tried for a time xenostation and encountered the most incompetent host to date Straykitty whose experiment in admin automation was so laughable the griefers just switched to punching people instead of shooting them and the round type broke due to marines being unable to fight aliens in groups without accidental friendly fire turning them into corgi's.

Yeah there are a few hitches but for the most part it is drat good. Also the light rp atmosphere means people by and large tolerate my atrocious fake ork accent which is basically a hybrid bastard at this point.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #26963

Came here from NoX. This was the only other server i knew of at the time that used the same sort of code as NoX. Liked the rules and level of roleplay, so i decided to stay. Simple really.
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #26964

It's the first server I ever played and to date the only one I've played. It has a decent population and I'm still learning newish things every day.

After a 4 hour long round on Artyom terraforming the away mission's atmosphere, I can safely say there is a wealth of new experiences I likely still don't have and jumping ship because most rounds fall into tedium would be premature.
Whoisthere
Byond Username: Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #26973

It has a right mix of p2w/powergaming/metagaming/whatever you want to call it and RP, at least for me. You can loot the armory and validhunt as an assistant or you can sit in the bar with a chaplain and pretend you don't know what the singubeacon is as an engineer - "hey, let's plug it in, it looks like it'll blink all those pretty Christams lights". It's not really proper RP, it's people willing to participate/create absurd situations with me.
Sad elegy
Highly suitable for use in funerals
Kangaraptor
Byond Username: Kangaraptor

Post by Kangaraptor » #26978

baystation is too spergy about their rules

goonstation's admins are awful and their rules are hypocritical as balls

/tg/ has plenty of people and the right amount of sperginess to hold my interest w/o driving me insane
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #26983

I joined accidentally from /tg/ when someone posted screens from a much better looking game while talking about ss13.

I've always liked games that generate insane anecdotes and this is the best for that.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #26984

Can't remember how I even found this place. Possibly I knew someone who played once?

Either way I stuck around because it was a good mix between a game and RP. The RP brought intresting twists to the game and I had some genuinely funny moments, mixed with not taking it too seriously allowing the ridiculous to take place.

Think it was the second time I was on the server and I late started. Met Ian in the halls who simply barked "Murder, death, mutiny" then "Run!" and then ran off somewhere. Was the best mix of humour and fear.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Jalleo
Byond Username: Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #26993

Somehow I found SS13 played on goon for a while got bored somehow found TG literally thats it.
vonharden

Post by vonharden » #27001

/tg/ was best board when going on 4chan was a feasible idea
plus players roleplay but it isn't too "read my awful three page backstory" retardy
jedermann sein eigner fussball
Mandurrrh

Post by Mandurrrh » #27010

I started here because my boyfriend played here and I'd play his game. I stayed because people were cruel and wanted me to go so instead of letting them win and beat me down I stayed and continued to play through all the shit. And then slowly people forgot to hate me and I made friends. All of a sudden despite our bickering sometimes tg feels like home/family and I have great pride in being a part of it. I really hate playing anywhere else right now but I still try and stay active in the community just in case the second server gets some life back in it.
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #27012

Because /tg/-Station13 is basically crack cocaine. I always come back. There is no rational reason aside from FUN.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #27017

The admins here aren't powerhungry hypocrites and they actually care about doing their jobs, really.

Before I came to /tg/ I mostly bounced between servers because I was generally unaware of things at the time, and I had been playing like a griffon for several weeks before receiving a ban on /tg/ for beating the clown to death. That's when I realized SS13 actually had rules and stuff. So switching between goon, bay, and here I stayed here because the rules here are strict enough to encourage a decent balance between gameplay and RP without going too overboard like bay or going too disorganized like goon.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #27020

Because I'm too afraid of change to try out another?
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #27073

Stockholm Syndrome
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Rockdtben
Site Admin
Byond Username: Rockdtben
Github Username: Rockdtben

Post by Rockdtben » #27075

MisterPerson wrote:Stockholm Syndrome
Same.
Custom Software Solutions, Mentorship, and game development ----> Main Site
Game Master: 03/24/2022 - Now || Domain Holder: 04/15/2014 - 03/24/2022 || Code Project Lead: 02/01/2014 - 10/07/2014 || G-Admin: 12/29/2013 - 04/04/2015 || T-Admin: 3/29/2013 - 12/29/2013 || Codermin: ? - 3/29/2013 || Started Playing: 6/13/2006 || "Took no shit from shitters" - MrStonedOne
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #27076

link
Last edited by TheWiznard on Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mandurrrh

Post by Mandurrrh » #27077

/thread
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #27079

I started here, so, automatically, everywhere else sucks.

I actually tried /vg/ and it was not an enjoyable experience. Their map sucks.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #27081

Rockdtben wrote:
Same.
Also.

And I'm pretty sure I'm one of the few that actually came FROM a /tg/thread.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
bockman22
Byond Username: Bockman22

Post by bockman22 » #27082

I played basil like a year ago and I liked it. I still am on here because fuck it
Kavaloosh

Post by Kavaloosh » #27097

the community is dying
Confront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory.
Mandurrrh

Post by Mandurrrh » #27098

Kavaloosh wrote:the community is dying
We miss you too Kava.
iteq

Post by iteq » #27110

Alex Crimson wrote:Came here from NoX.
lmao
Spoiler:
Aaron Laborde says, "YOU'RE TYPING LIKE YOU HAVE A BRISTH ACCENT BUT YOURE JUST A SAD VIRGIN"

OOC: TheBibleMelts: the only time i was repulsed by erp was when i saw lindsay donk and dawgas roleplaying out a piss-childplay fantasy

-- Administrator private message --
Admin PM from-Antonkr: You are a nigger lover.
Click on the administrator's name to reply.

OOC: Paprka: boy does talking shit get me horny
OOC: Sawrge: i am getting admin vote and iteq is getting player vote
(F) DEAD: Leo Bonhart says, "luck the only known tg player to trigger someones ptsd and cause a mental breakdown"
Word count of substantiative content of ban appeal: 87
Word count of shitpost copypasta: 195
OOC: Dannno: i fucking hate you stupid piece of shit iteq you fucking idiot one day im going to fucking ban you and you'll be gone for good faggot fuck you
Rumia29

Post by Rumia29 » #27115

Put simply, I don't :>
I've never really been a regular on any of the servers, but the community is worth just sticking around on the forums posting every other blue moon.
I don't have any strong ties here either. Hard to explain but, I just like it here.
Battle of the Servers 2014: Team Terry Member
Image ImageImage
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #27176

I get the strangest feeling that this thread is going to turn sour real fast.
Apparently I was an director or something.
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #27193

I came because the administration and players were better than Facepunch.
I mostly don't play here anymore because of drama and Paradise serves my RP wants a bit more.
:^)
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #27203

Spacemanspark wrote:I came because the administration and players were better than Facepunch.
I mostly don't play here anymore because of drama and Paradise serves my RP wants a bit more.
The drama hasn't really ever filtered down into the game, from what I've seen anyway. Maybe very occasionally leaked into OOC, but I mainly ignore/have disabled OOC anywho.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #27219

started playing on urist mcstation back when they started out, got interested in mapping and asked for help in coderbus. this got me interested in coding and such and i figured it's best to commit to the upstream so i started coding for tgstation, then I started playing on Basil because urist mcstation was always empty.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #27223

I like it better than any of the other servers.

I dunno, man. I started out on Goon and there's definite upsides about their stuff but man. Treestation was literally the worst map any SS13 server has ever run, in history. And over there, the crew honestly never feels like a crew, ever. It's just a bunch of people who spawn near each other than then all basically do their own thing unless some looming threat like the Wizard shows up to force people to unite. You can say 'how's that different from here?' but it's different. Here, the crew feels like an actual (dysfunctional, amateur) crew. Like, when the RD tells a scientist not to do something, if they do it, the RD can kick them out and get them arrested and stuff. It was rare to get either part of that on Goon.

I've got a similar attitude towards Bay, but for obviously different reasons. There's upsides to playing there. Security there was really cool, you literally feel like an actual cop, and you actually investigate crimes and stuff. It's the only server I've ever seen that happen. People generally care about the ARRR PEEE and stuff there, too. And you can have some fun community events when you can prevent people from acting like fuckheads and have some way to predict player behaviors, imo. Of course, it's also stuffy as hell. My favorite personal example of Bayrules is the fact that, at least when I was there a while ago, you can't murderbone at the end of the round. You know that huge, fun release of tension most people really enjoy after every round? Well on Bay, you just build tension for the (longer) shuttle ride and (longer) Centcom post-round thing... but the tension is never dissolved. It's stifling somehow. And the rounds literally last six fucking hours.

Try being an AI on Bay sometime. It's like running a mental marathon, you always have to be on because the AI is always expected to be on and attentive and whatnot. For six hours. Where nothing happens.

The only other server I really tried was NoX, while /tg/ was down, and uh, you know.

Other people mentioned stuff like the balance of gameplay and RP elements, and that people who enjoy either can find some fun here most of the time as long as they don't take it too far in either direction. The code is nice. People want Bay Atmos but holy shit it's actually horrible.

Counterplay? Balance? What's that? REALISM INVOLVES YOU SMASHING YOUR FACE 472 TIMES BECAUSE 3 SECONDS AGO A WINDOW WAS BROKEN ACROSS THE STATION HAVING FUN YET SHITHEAD?
RIP
Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #27229

peoplearestrange wrote:
Spacemanspark wrote:I came because the administration and players were better than Facepunch.
The drama hasn't really ever filtered down into the game, from what I've seen anyway. Maybe very occasionally leaked into OOC, but I mainly ignore/have disabled OOC anywho.
I wasn't just refering to forum drama.
Fragnostic
Byond Username: Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #27250

Hibbles wrote:People want Bay Atmos but holy shit it's actually horrible.
Can confirm. My favorite thing to do was get a locker and fill it with as much toolboxes, extinguishers, screwdrivers, and basically any sharp/blunt object and put it about 6 tiles away from an airlock and then open a gas canister to max, close the airlock, and leave. I laughed at the thought of someone opening that door.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #27267

What. That actually sounds really neat.
Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #27275

Reimoo wrote:What. That actually sounds really neat.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
NO.
NOOOOOO.
Ruptured lungs, broken bones, blood loss, and sometimes insta death.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #27278

Spacemanspark wrote:
NO.
NOOOOOO.
Or, translated to /tg/ medical mechanics: Apply bruise packs.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Big Faggot
Byond Username: Floof5467

Post by Big Faggot » #27290

i dont b/c im banned.

but realtalk this was the only community not filled with huge gays and the admins are pretty chill (exept if u banned me) and do events sometimes. its not super serious HEAVY RP either. i didnt play this game to have some edgy nerd traitor quoting fucking confucious after he kills me. no i played this game to have someone do strange shit to my corpse b/c u nerds are fucking weird and thats y ur all unique
Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #27304

Cipher3 wrote:
Spacemanspark wrote:
NO.
NOOOOOO.
Or, translated to /tg/ medical mechanics: Apply bruise packs.
Bruise packs won't do shit.
Rhisereld
Byond Username: Rhisereld

Post by Rhisereld » #27322

I play here because stuff actually happens during the round (unlike Bay), but there are still rules against people being dicks FNR (unlike a whole bunch of places). For me, /tg/ station is that happy medium between boring and griefy.
Fragnostic
Byond Username: Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #27339

Reimoo wrote:What. That actually sounds kinda neat.
Cipher3 wrote: Or, translated to /tg/ medical mechanics: Apply bruise packs.
Guesss, you've never had the privilege of getting critted the fuck out by a single locker that zoomed from one side of a large room over to airlock you just opened. Doesn't slam you just once, you know. Opening an airlock in Bay is always a risk, be it an over pressurized room or a decompressed room. Also, the 'sudden rush of air drags you!', which will slam you into a wall/locker and then the air is replaced or something and then those objects fly into you. If it's deliberate, you could make a giant gun by getting hundreds of glass shards and screwdrivers and opening 5 canisters of gas and close the airlock. When you open it(from the side, of course) the objects are propelled at an ungodly speed, and anyone within 10 tiles in front of that airlock is gg, armored or not.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #27352

From the experience I got playing a small server with a bay atmos equivalent (not the real thing) you didn't always need to be hit by free items to be killed, you could be bashed on the walls and stuff in a full space suit and get crit off that. Given the small server didn't have any proper airlocks that could remove air from themselves safely you basically took damage every time you exited one even if you weren't stupid and made sure to shut the rear door behind you. Forget what it was called you could crawl on water tanks and stuff there.
Zsword

Post by Zsword » #27395

Several factors rolled into one package of awesome. I'm not gonna say TG is perfect, but it has far fewer flaws in it than Bay or Goon.

What it essentially boils down to is a nice 'balance' though.

What balance is that? Well, in a lot of things.

The first is the admins. They acknowledge what stagnation is and move to resolve it (unlike Bay) but also don't (usually) ruin an entire round with something RETARDADLY over the top (like Goon). They're a lot fairer, and very even headed, and not petty. I find both goon and Bay have very PETTY admins, that will jump the gun on anyone doing something 'wrong' and happily whip out their big black admin 'ban hammer'. TG, someone IC's in OoC about something minor, or, kinda hints at something IC but doesn't really give any specifics. (aka: Well that sucked.) They don't really mind, sometimes you just need to say a word. But they're also not entirely passive, if someone is acting like total shit, they'll get on their case. Any time the round starts getting 'stagnant' and they need to intervene to spice it up just so that, well, something happens. It's very minor, but still, impactful. Spawn a few ghosts as Aliens, maybe a Blob. Perhaps have a rush of meteor showers if things just, Really, really, REALLY need to just get to the leaving... but all in all, nothing that isn't, manageable.

Another thing is the community, a lot of very even headed people here, barring 3 main complaints I'll touch on later. But still, it's a beautiful balance of people who, lightly RP, and if nothing is going on, even RP more heavily just to do something, aren't afraid of doing something... different to spice things up. (Like say, Chemist giving the Bartender some of the supplies to make his 'funner' drinks.) and are, fairly robust if push comes to shove. In fact, one thing I find ASTONISHINGLY common on this server, is a sort of empathy for other players. Not everyone here feels like they play for themselves, that some of the people acknowledge that on the other side of that sprite is a player, just like them, and I really dig that.

The map is, respectable, the new wall around the engine really does help take a certain 'BS edge' off of some of the old tactics that I honostly appreciate. In general it's likeable, I kinda have a neutral opinion on it.

My big 3 issues though (That, really are, kinda minor):
If someone is playing forthemselves, they're quite capable of becoming gods. If someone is honostly meta-gaming, they're, way too powerful, and more than capable of ruining the round fo r the rest of the station.
SHITCURITY! wait, but the security isn't shit, you're just being a bitch because you broke the rules and don't like that the man in the red suit is doing his job. shitcurity is a title to be earned to those who should be jobbanned from sec officer, not your get out of jail free card for trying to break into chemistry with a welder as an engineer.
And the unadvoidable, you had no means of stopping them, deaths. Not just 'get stunned', I'm talking the PREPOSTEROUSLY large amount of ways to prevent someone from playing the game. Tazers, sleep toxins, Beepsky smash, choking, double barrel of live ammo, all things that can just, well. 'WOOPS and now I cna't play anymore, let's just kinda sit here and wait tell he kills me.'
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #30102

Bay atmos would be absolutely murderous with our players. Literally every airlock would turn into a death trap.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #30258

It's not perfect.

I try not to play on sibyl during primetime, and I'm iffy about Sibyl during daytimes. Right now, we're sitting at 60 people on our only server and I'm always skeptical of SS13 once the pop starts pushing past 50. Especially on /tg/station, where greytide is an omnipresent thing, Security is perpetually undermanned and widely disliked and it's very easy to be quickly and permanently removed from the round without you being able to do anything about it.

I learned to play on /tg/station, from my first rounds as Steve Donk pushing crates in a cargo bay to my heyday as Janet Williams, being one of the go-to robusters in some kind of cool kids club. After a while, though, I grew disillusioned with the whole thing. Adminbus, Coderbus, players, factionalism, Ideas subforum being irrelevant, FNR being a circus of shitposting and bandwagoning. Erro being Erro, shitty players staying and good ones going. Old faces disappearing, and nobody rising to take their place.

So I left. I spent a good two, three months cruising between hub servers. Not to shittalk individual ones, but they're all terrible for various reasons. Maybe the playerbase is terrifyingly unrobust, barely managing to setup a singularity. Maybe the coders are handholding the playerbase, like manual-valving atmos on the map. Maybe the admins are inept, biased, or unprofessional, there to push buttons, play midis, and ban people for shit-talking them. Maybe there's an officially-endorsed metagaming metabuddy club, complete with skypeTSmumbleVent. Maybe it just doesn't match my playstyle, and all the rounds I have there are solidly mediocre.

Either way, though, the fact of the matter is that /tg/station is home. As soon as I logged back on Sibyl, I saw Opie Fisher in Genetics and MC Honk Deez Nuts running around with all access. I saw familiar names on the admin list and familiar names on the Who list. Three bombs went off, somebody opened a plasma canister in Escape, and Security was arresting some random assistant. Thirty minutes on Sibyl, and I smiled more than I had in two months of BYOND Hub Thirteeen. That's why I play here. It's not perfect, but it's home.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #30877

> actually playing the game

But really its because the community isn't a bunch of elitists that got kicked out of a freeform roleplay board or braindead idiots that randomly kill eachother and start massive drama with admin favoritism.

Also because its the only one that lets me actually fuck around and do stupid shit to see what will happen, RIP cargo singularity
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #30893

This place is like the golden mean of SS13.
The balance between Bay-style vs. NoX-style, or "don't do this, don't do that" vs. "do whatever the fuck you want" is just right.
For example, "you have to do your job" vs. "you don't have to do your job at all".
Or "you cannot know what the antags do, you must play dumb each round" vs. "you can collect all the guns and tools possible and hunt for the antags all round".

The balance is very hard to define and keep, but somehow it works.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #31289

Because I still have the highest post count on the forums.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #31402

paprika wrote:Because I still have the highest post count on the forums.
It would be a sssshame if soooomething were to happen to it.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #31406

In total I think I have the highest postcount over all 3 forums.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy