ENCOURAGING ROLEPLAY: THE OBVIOUS SOLUTION

General SS13 Chat
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

ENCOURAGING ROLEPLAY: THE OBVIOUS SOLUTION

Post by Cheridan » #35009

There are many who feel that the state of roleplay on /tg/station has declined, but it's difficult to find ways to truly enrich roleplay.

It's very hard to attempt to do this from the developer side of /tg/station-- it's easy to make a new gun, or tool; but it's not quite so simple to create something that allows people to interact with each other in a meaningful way. On the admin side of the game, there can also be troubles. Many suggested roleplay-centric policies are considered to impose upon the freedom of players and the over-the-top nature of the game.

We have certain policies in regards to behavior that's deemed annoying or obscene: the pet-killing policy, WGW reading, ERP. To attempt to lessen the amount of people who are willing to do these things, policy is to allow players or admins to take action against people. We've seen however that this creates a perverse incentive, that people actually did these things more often because it provoked a reaction. It seems the best way to ingrain something into /tg/station culture is to allow players to take matters into their own hands.

Thus, I propose these clear changes to policy:
  • •Anyone roleplaying, or attempting to roleplay, is a valid kill.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Re: ENCOURAGING ROLEPLAY: THE OBVIOUS SOLUTION

Post by Scott » #35010

No, the obvious solution is going full bay and then slowly and gradually revert back to the current state. There will be a period where things are good, eventually.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #35017

Your post needs more >
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Kraso
Byond Username: S0ldi3rKr4s0
Github Username: Kraseo

Post by Kraso » #35020

Cheridan wrote:Thus, I propose these clear changes to policy:
  • •Anyone roleplaying, or attempting to roleplay, is a valid kill.
this

we need to go the goon way
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #35025

Yeah I hate roleplayers because they ruin the balance of my perfect epic mafia in space game
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #35109

After reading this, I was all 'Challenge accepted: Time to roleplay' and then realized I was playing exactly into the purpose of the thread, and now.... hmmmm.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #35120

Roleplayers are cowardly creatures. We will need to redouble our efforts to hunt down deep space tea parties and real time speed erp encounters.
Bibliodewangus

Post by Bibliodewangus » #35126

I don't know, in my opinion the bulk of and best of RP in SS13 are situations where say a meteor hits and two unlikely people like the clown and captain are forced to survive together. They may barely even speak, but they'll run around pulling eachother out of danger and having a genuinely not real adventure. At the end one might say "thanks man.. you saved my life" and that holds 100,000 times the meaning of every 5 hour pretend drinking binge the people on bay have ever gone on.
specyalic
Byond Username: Specyalic

Post by specyalic » #35160

really, anytime someone pulls a non-meta friend into the shuttle, even when leaving them behind was convenient
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #35178

specyalic wrote:really, anytime someone pulls a non-meta friend into the shuttle, even when leaving them behind was convenient
GET DUNK'D
capi duffman
Byond Username: Capi duffman

Post by capi duffman » #35261

Each and every game I can actually act my role, I enjoy it much more tan focusing like a zealot on hunting tators.

Last time I was a captain, I focused on morale, visiting different sections, being supporting of the other heads, having kind words towards the workers, and pretty much chomping on a cigar, even befriending the clown, who was kind enough to give me another.
Sure, I forgot to visit science, who was full of cultists, and they managed to summon Nar-Sie with Little to no opposition, but I don't think playing to win is the point of the game, I had fun, and many managed to escape alive.
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #35306

capi duffman wrote:Each and every game I can actually act my role, I enjoy it much more tan focusing like a zealot on hunting tators.

Last time I was a captain, I focused on morale, visiting different sections, being supporting of the other heads, having kind words towards the workers, and pretty much chomping on a cigar, even befriending the clown, who was kind enough to give me another.
Sure, I forgot to visit science, who was full of cultists, and they managed to summon Nar-Sie with Little to no opposition, but I don't think playing to win is the point of the game, I had fun, and many managed to escape alive.
>forgetting to visit the lore fluff reason why the station exists
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #35307

But everyone knows space botany is the true reason SS13 exists
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #35334

There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven.
When she gets there she knows, if the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for.
Ooh, ooh, and she's buying a stairway to heaven.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #35368

ColonicAcid wrote:There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven.
When she gets there she knows, if the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for.
Ooh, ooh, and she's buying a stairway to heaven.
wow please don't spam my entirely serious topic i spent a lot of time on
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #35374

ooohhh makes no wonndeeer

oohhh makes no wondeeeer.

there's a feelin i get, when i look to the west.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
capi duffman
Byond Username: Capi duffman

Post by capi duffman » #35530

QuartzCrystal wrote:
capi duffman wrote:Each and every game I can actually act my role, I enjoy it much more tan focusing like a zealot on hunting tators.

>forgetting to visit the lore fluff reason why the station exists
What can I say? Science always looks dark and threatening, also the xenobiologists are always plotting something foul, antag or not.

The real reason for the station is check out the wondrous dishes the chef makes every shift. Also, experiments on clown behaviour.
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #35621

Security role playing good cop white knight is fucking atrocious.

Shitcurity: "Sir I need to have a word with you. S-sir! STAY STILL
Me: "What im busy working"
Type 2 slowz for slowpoke
Shitcurity withdraws taser and fires a round at me because I tried going back to my department when he sees that I have a crate full of resources. What da fuck.

A better example of handling this situation is this:
Security: "Oi quick question"
Me: "wut"
Security: "People said you did [reacted], did you?
Me: "No I was getting shit from mining"
Security: "Move along then"

Security officers mainly forget that hearsay isn't 100% creditable evidence. Remember red shirts: The presumption of innocence, sometimes referred to by the Latin expression Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat (the burden of proof is on he who declares, not on he who denies), is the principle that one is considered innocent until proven guilty
Last edited by srifenbyxp on Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #35622

Walking away from sec when you're being questioned is grounds for 5,000 volts of justice, face the wrath of le golden bolt.
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #35623

Not when you stand there fornearly over a minute. Either learn to type faster or ask over the radio.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Kot
Byond Username: KotMroku

Post by Kot » #35648

Well, if you're supected it is in your best interest to not fucking run away from Security when they question it, even if that will mean a whole one minute less for making guns for research.
Jesus, if you run away without a word when officer asks you it's not their fault that you get tased, it's yours.
An0n3 wrote:ARGH LETS YIFF MATEY
Shores Of Hazeron
1999-2014
;_;7
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #35672

Bibliodewangus wrote:I don't know, in my opinion the bulk of and best of RP in SS13 are situations where say a meteor hits and two unlikely people like the clown and captain are forced to survive together. They may barely even speak, but they'll run around pulling eachother out of danger and having a genuinely not real adventure. At the end one might say "thanks man.. you saved my life" and that holds 100,000 times the meaning of every 5 hour pretend drinking binge the people on bay have ever gone on.
this is really true and im surprised nobody else acknowledged this post
meaningful mutual experience > endless exposition between 2 speshil snoflaks
create dynamic situations that cause people to come together out of necessity and encourage roleplay, like the need to survive together or hide together or work together, etc
rather than just say "people need REAL names so that they will sit in the bar and talk about their super cool backstories more"
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Whoisthere
Byond Username: Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #35722

Ya'll is stoopid, what we must do to encourage roleplay is to make the guy you roleplayed with valid to you.

So if he feels dat was good roleplay he won't ahelp when you kill him for his gloves, and if you didn't roleplay him good enough he will ahelp you and shit

Or maybe give pulse rifles for roleplay
Sad elegy
Highly suitable for use in funerals
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #35738

Bibliodewangus wrote:I don't know, in my opinion the bulk of and best of RP in SS13 are situations where say a meteor hits and two unlikely people like the clown and captain are forced to survive together. They may barely even speak, but they'll run around pulling eachother out of danger and having a genuinely not real adventure. At the end one might say "thanks man.. you saved my life" and that holds 100,000 times the meaning of every 5 hour pretend drinking binge the people on bay have ever gone on.
Simple human nature really, give people a common enemy and they'll naturally form a strong bond.

Meteors, Nuke Ops, and Wizards are all external threats. So the crew always ends up banding together.
The other round types you know involve people that pretend to be your friends but are only pretending to get close enough to KO you and suck out your DNA, the corrosiveness of suspicion is what drives people apart and makes it difficult to RP more than a few words.

Its also for the above reason that Security are the single department that RPs the most most consistently, loyalty implants create instant trust, the rest of the crew being a bunch of dicks that by default treat security like the gestapo means security always starts off with a common enemy.
Swagile
Byond Username: Swagile

Post by Swagile » #35759

Malkevin wrote:
Simple human nature really, give people a common enemy and they'll naturally form a strong bond.

Meteors, Nuke Ops, and Wizards are all external threats. So the crew always ends up banding together.
The other round types you know involve people that pretend to be your friends but are only pretending to get close enough to KO you and suck out your DNA, the corrosiveness of suspicion is what drives people apart and makes it difficult to RP more than a few words.

Its also for the above reason that Security are the single department that RPs the most most consistently, loyalty implants create instant trust, the rest of the crew being a bunch of dicks that by default treat security like the gestapo means security always starts off with a common enemy.
A big reason why I play Sec, since all the people on my team (if they aren't retarded and ran off into maint and killed themselves) are like my family because they are the only people you can trust when a grey shirt tries to dunk you with water.

/tg/ station github 420 issues
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #37029

Swagile wrote:
Malkevin wrote:

A big reason why I play Sec, since all the people on my team (if they aren't retarded and ran off into maint and killed themselves) are like my family because they are the only people you can trust when a grey shirt tries to dunk you with water.
The family that batons together stays together.
spain
Byond Username: Spainish

Post by spain » #37068

miggles wrote:
this is really true and im surprised nobody else acknowledged this post
meaningful mutual experience > endless exposition between 2 speshil snoflaks
create dynamic situations that cause people to come together out of necessity and encourage roleplay, like the need to survive together or hide together or work together, etc
rather than just say "people need REAL names so that they will sit in the bar and talk about their super cool backstories more"
So true. This reminds me of a time I was playing as Atmos and the other Atmos tech was clearly new so I showed him the ropes. Eventually the station went to hell and the Singulo broke loose, but our bond endured. We made our way through the ruined station to the maintenance tunnel below Escape (which was completely gone). We waited for the shuttle there and I even showed him how to use extinguishers as ghetto jetpacks and we both used them to get onto the shuttle and survive. I could have easily chosen to leave him behind but I didn't.

Sorry if that was a little off-topic, but I just wanted to support what Bibliodewangus and miggles said. What a great experience.