Simple Questions Thread

General SS13 Chat
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Re: Simple Questions Thread

Post by Anonmare » #321795

Bottom post of the previous page:

In a pinch you can make flash grenades if you can get access to a chem console. Get some metal, craft a grenade casing and put a cable coil, or whatever your preferred activation method is, and acquire two beakers. Fill up some beakers with the reagents to make flash powder (Have one beaker have, if using 50u beakers, 30u of aluminium and 15u of potassium whilst the other beakers also has 15u of potassium and 30u of sulfur), or alternatively, fill up a very big beaker with stabilised flash powder (you only need 1u of stabilising agent to be present when mixing the flash powder to stabilise it) and have it set to go off by igniter - this is less reliable but you can hide it under something like a sheet of cardboard and use it to amush a cyborg. Effective range is dependant on how much flash powder is in the grenade's beakers

Don't forget that tear gas grenades are functionally identical to a smoke grenade and sec has a LOT of them.
Portable flashers also can stun borgs and they don't have a walk intent to prevent setting them off.

I thought cargo could order spec OPS crates if they pulsed their console board but apparently that's not how you unlock them so ignore that.
You don't need access to the ORM, a crowbar and a screwdriver is all you need to break it open and scoop up the uranium and metal sheets. After that, make grenade casings, get beakers grind up the uranium and iron and fill up one beaker with uranium and the other with iron and you have an EMP nade. Standard 50u grenades have an EMP randius of 4 heavy, 7 light which makes it into a full screen stun that ignores walls and can kill/permastun the AI if you hit the APC and the SMES fast enough.

If you can kill one of the rogue borgs, try and get it out of sight and deconstruct it down to the components. A cyborg's panel automatically unlocks when it dies so all you need to do is crowbar the panel, toss aside the cell, screwdriver to expose the wires and cut every wire until you lock it down (though it's a good idea to do them all to make sure the AI connection wire is cut so it doesn't blow it up) then you can decon it with a wrench. The flashes will be consumed however so make sure you have two replacements. Also make ABSOLUTE SURE you use a multitool on the endoskeleton and disable its AI connection. Re-assemble, put the MMI back in and tell it to go kill the AI and they can walk past 90%of the AI's defences.

Cyborgs cannot rebuild broken machinery and it's an undervalued tactic. A cyborg with no power is utterly defenceless and you can drain a cyborg's power by firing disablers at it. It's not a very effective method against the original cyborgs but ones made by a cyborg factory only have 5K cells and those drain fast.

Diagnostic HUDs can be found in the robotics locker, there's usually three already in there and R&D can print off more really cheaply and yes they do show a silicon's health/power levels but they also show when a door is shocked with a big lightning bolt overlay above it
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #321796

Also get inducers from engineering or get R&D to print some off. You can use inducers to recharge your weapons by using the gun on the inducer while both are in your hands and means you don't need to go back to a weapons charger. It's slow and more inefficient however than using a charger but you can recharge anytime and anywhere.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #321991

recharge spell also works to instantaneously replenish weapons as well as magical object charges.

Spoiler:
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #321993

FantasticFwoosh wrote:recharge spell also works to instantaneously replenish weapons as well as magical object charges.
Bear in mind you get decreasing returns when recharging wands. It's a balancing feature, technically infinite wand of death would be no fun.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #322030

But not on station guns.

Spoiler:
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #322055

FantasticFwoosh wrote:But not on station guns.
Wiznerds using guns are scum
DiamondSentinel
Byond Username: DiamondSentinel

Post by DiamondSentinel » #322327

What's the best way to heat freon for freon bombs?

I literally spent the entirety of a 2.5 hour round attempting to figure out how to heat it above around 1300K and I couldn't figure it out.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #322341

DiamondSentinel wrote:What's the best way to heat freon for freon bombs?

I literally spent the entirety of a 2.5 hour round attempting to figure out how to heat it above around 1300K and I couldn't figure it out.
I think the best way would be to take some incinerator burn mix canisters and attach them to a loop with a filter leading into a freon can and use that filter to shunt all the gas into it one at a time, then filter the freon out into another can using the same method.

Incinerator burnmix is usually above 95,000 celsius and you're almost guaranteed to have a few cans of the stuff and if that won't get you hot freon, I don't think anything can.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #322383

The way I do it, is to transfer a very small amount of freon in an empty canister (like 10 kPa), then wrench it to an unconnected outlet. When you detach it, some amount of freon remains in the outlet, so you can wrench your 95k °C burnmix to it and the freon will go inside the canister. The result is a slightly cooler burnmix canister (60-70k) with like 1% freon...which you can then filter out into a pump to fill your tanks with superheated goofgas. It's fast and doesn't require additional loops or filters.
DiamondSentinel

Post by DiamondSentinel » #322658

Grazyn wrote:The way I do it, is to transfer a very small amount of freon in an empty canister (like 10 kPa), then wrench it to an unconnected outlet. When you detach it, some amount of freon remains in the outlet, so you can wrench your 95k °C burnmix to it and the freon will go inside the canister. The result is a slightly cooler burnmix canister (60-70k) with like 1% freon...which you can then filter out into a pump to fill your tanks with superheated goofgas. It's fast and doesn't require additional loops or filters.
So, I did this, and I have 75K freon. A full tank of it. And then in the other tank is my plasma mix, which you guys said room temperature, right?

So why am I only getting 1/2/4?
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #322667

Because we didn't say room temperature, it has to be supercooled to 15-10 K or something (13 K seem to work)
DiamondSentinel

Post by DiamondSentinel » #322668

Grazyn wrote:Because we didn't say room temperature, it has to be supercooled to 15-10 K or something (13 K seem to work)
But that's regular bomb temperature? So why does the freon even do anything different?
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #322706

Freon is special because it has a high heat capacity. Any other gas in the game heated to high temperature will have very few moles of it compared to Freon at the same heat and pressure. This means that any other gas won't be able to significantly raise the temperature of the bomb mix when the bomb activates, just like dropping a single drop of scalding water into a pot of freezing water doesn't do anything. A 1012 kPa tank of 90k °C CO2 is the equivalent of the drop of scalding water, which you are dropping in the freezing tank of o2 and plasma. But with Freon, you're dropping a whole gallon of hot stuff in it.

Freon is the primer needed to heat the o2/plasma mix so that it can expand and explode like a regular bomb.
DiamondSentinel

Post by DiamondSentinel » #322829

Grazyn wrote:Freon is special because it has a high heat capacity. Any other gas in the game heated to high temperature will have very few moles of it compared to Freon at the same heat and pressure. This means that any other gas won't be able to significantly raise the temperature of the bomb mix when the bomb activates, just like dropping a single drop of scalding water into a pot of freezing water doesn't do anything. A 1012 kPa tank of 90k °C CO2 is the equivalent of the drop of scalding water, which you are dropping in the freezing tank of o2 and plasma. But with Freon, you're dropping a whole gallon of hot stuff in it.

Freon is the primer needed to heat the o2/plasma mix so that it can expand and explode like a regular bomb.
I understand the specific heat part. But is the freon part of the explosive? I was under the impression that the explosion was caused by the plasma and oxygen.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #322856

Freon only provides the heat, it allows the oxygen/plasma mix to reach the temperature needed to proc the explosion. Because the mix is supercooled, there are a lot of moles of plasma and o2 in it, so the explosion is huge.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #323140

How viable are narcotic smoke grenades? As a tool of murder and as a tool of griff
Professor Hangar
Byond Username: Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #323286

Speaking of, how does Bacchus' Blessing actually work?
RandomMarine
Github User
Byond Username: RandomMarine
Github Username: RandomMarine

Post by RandomMarine » #323288

It's just absurdly powerful booze. Nothing more nothing less.

To go any further would mean breaking down how alcohol in general works.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #323413

Professor Hangar wrote:Speaking of, how does Bacchus' Blessing actually work?
It has something like 500 booze power where most booze has it in the double digits, it also adds more success chance to surgery than sterilizine when sprayed on a person, which is hilarious.
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #323429

Dr_bee wrote:
Professor Hangar wrote:Speaking of, how does Bacchus' Blessing actually work?
It has something like 500 booze power where most booze has it in the double digits, it also adds more success chance to surgery than sterilizine when sprayed on a person, which is hilarious.

Close, it's 300. Hooch and Manly Dorf and tied for next highest at 100. Most of the rest are about 70-90.
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Post by Hulkamania » #323485

What the hell is ATMOS Resin and how do you create it? How does it function?

There's nothing about it on the wiki and I can't for the life of me seem to locate how it's made in game.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #323503

It's made in the atmospheric water backpack tanks, assuming the backpack has enough water to work with. It's a transparent barrier that blocks heat transfer and scrubs the air of toxins
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master

Post by Hulkamania » #323506

Oh here's another one: How does space travel actually work? Are you randomly moved to another z level once you hit the edge, or will you start to loop back in on yourself?

If one were to look for objects out in space, would you need to constantly change directions or could you just keep drifting and eventually hit something?
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #323534

Anonmare wrote:It's made in the atmospheric water backpack tanks, assuming the backpack has enough water to work with. It's a transparent barrier that blocks heat transfer and scrubs the air of toxins
Shit that's useful. If it scrubs toxins is it faster than air scrubbers?
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #323544

Hulkamania wrote:Oh here's another one: How does space travel actually work? Are you randomly moved to another z level once you hit the edge, or will you start to loop back in on yourself?

If one were to look for objects out in space, would you need to constantly change directions or could you just keep drifting and eventually hit something?
I can't be certain of this, but from what I've experienced recently (because it always seems to fuckin' change), it's a little complicated.

Essentially whatever is in a given direction from a Z-level is randomised once per round, and then remains consistent; however, that randomisation can be somewhat bullshit. For example, there have been numerous times when I've been trying to leave a Z-level, and going in three of four directions leads directly back to that Z-level, with one direction leading to another Z-level which may have one or two directions that lead back to the first sodding Z-level.

"Eventually hitting something" seems quite common, but the only way that you'll be guaranteed to hit something is if you float diagonally and change diagonal direction every so often. If you want to find anything in space, take a GPS and a PKA; the GPS will offer signals for most things, including compass directions and proximity levels if they're on the same Z-level (recent change and a good one), and the PKA will allow you to infinitely, if slowly, propel yourself.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
MimicFaux
Byond Username: MimicFaux

Post by MimicFaux » #323609

AN has the gist of it. Like doorwires, it's randomized per round but made consistent. A jet pack and GPS is the most reliable way to explore space, but like our forefathers before us, and the inspiration for one of the lobby screens, a space suit and a fire extinguisher will suffice.

Any space ruin with loot will typically have a GPS signal with a few solid exceptions (Sky Buldge being one), but a lot of the more atmospheric ruins are just adrift and tossed out there.
ImageImageImage
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #323913

The fat warning appears before the actual disability, if i remember correctly. As for eating it while full, you can grind it with a reagent grinder, and drink it as a reagent to bypass the limit. You can also do this with sugar to gain nutrition after being full.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Professor Hangar
Byond Username: Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #323919

Back on goonstation the mint would function as intended, I think it got broken somewhere along the way.

Being fat was more its own thing back then, with its own sprites and being able to swallow monkeys whole.
MimicFaux

Post by MimicFaux » #323926

All useful to know. I want to use the mint as part of a traitor clown gimmick. Slip, cuff, feed bananas until fat, mint.

I have a question with regards to cargo and tech disks. If a tier 3 disk is sold off, and then a tier 4 disk of the same tech is sold; is it true that you won't make as much money as selling only the tier 4?

I've gone to science, asking for tech disks and they insist on maxing the disks first. And while playing science I try to insist the same but get told that it doesn't matter. How does the costs of tech disks change?
ImageImageImage
DiamondSentinel

Post by DiamondSentinel » #323984

MimicFaux wrote:All useful to know. I want to use the mint as part of a traitor clown gimmick. Slip, cuff, feed bananas until fat, mint.

I have a question with regards to cargo and tech disks. If a tier 3 disk is sold off, and then a tier 4 disk of the same tech is sold; is it true that you won't make as much money as selling only the tier 4?

I've gone to science, asking for tech disks and they insist on maxing the disks first. And while playing science I try to insist the same but get told that it doesn't matter. How does the costs of tech disks change?
So, don't quote me on this, but if I remember correctly, each level has its own value (I don't know that) and then some techs have multipliers. Plasma has x2, Bluespace x3, I believe, and then illegal and alien has x4. There's almost undoubtedly more, but I just remember that Bluespace is the best one to sell without illegals or alien
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #324010

Basically you sell the research levels themselves, if you already sold T4 you only get money for T5 onwards. So might as well max them first to save time.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #324061

XDTM wrote:Basically you sell the research levels themselves, if you already sold T4 you only get money for T5 onwards. So might as well max them first to save time.
How much would a maxed (as of a normal round) quantum disk net us?
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #324069

CosmicScientist wrote:How does the thin mint work? I used to be able to gib with it but no longer.
Common misunderstanding. The difference between overeating and actually becoming fat is pretty big, but without fat sprites it's hard to notice. I believe the FAT disability causes the "he seems quite chubby" message to appear in examine. It allows you to devour monkeys and (I haven't actually tested this but it's supposedly something that was used a lot way back when) prevents you from being choked (your neck is too thick). The mint only works when the disability is present, not when the victim has just overeaten.

Awesome thing I did once was as a CMO traitor: I released a weight gain virus then stole the mint, ground it, and loaded cryo with the mint toxin when a fat patient came along.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
MimicFaux

Post by MimicFaux » #324106

XDTM wrote:Basically you sell the research levels themselves, if you already sold T4 you only get money for T5 onwards. So might as well max them first to save time.
See that's the thing though; if I'm trying to order _____ through cargo, and they don't have the money, I'll go to science for tech disks. The trouble is they won't release any disks unless they have maxed out research. (Lets say, they have tier five across the board), and cite a convoluted answer about the disks not being culimimative.

Tier 7 >= Tier 5 + (Tier 7 - Tier 5)

And the one time I tried to disprove it as a scientist (science!) cargo wouldn't accept disks that weren't maxed. Seems like such a strange thing I wanted straight answer.
ImageImageImage
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #324167

Oh you were correct there. No difference between t5 + t7 and just t7, so if you need the boost sell the t5 and do the rest later. Also what kind of scientist thinks they can get t7 consistently?
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

MimicFaux

Post by MimicFaux » #324192

The same ones that screech that they should be the only ones allowed to do xenobio.
ImageImageImage
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #324220

Im feeling too lazy to look through the github code, what differentiates eggplant (mutated version) eggs from regular chicken eggs?

Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #324277

My guess is nothing
Spoiler:
MimicFaux

Post by MimicFaux » #324279

One can be infused with all sorts of botany shenanigans.
ImageImageImage
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #324301

Then what fertilises chicken eggs? Unless i need to change the type to the more nautral one, unless we could suffice a feature that injecting eggs with nutriment fertilises them.

So indeed there literally IS a chicken inside the eggplant.

Spoiler:
tacolizard
Byond Username: Tacolizard
Github Username: Tacolizard

Post by tacolizard » #324355

Anonmare wrote:How viable are narcotic smoke grenades? As a tool of murder and as a tool of griff
extremely viable, as many narcotics turn into debilitating stuns when overdosed. meth/morphine grenades can easily kill
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #325126

When would you ever want to use a passive gate over a volume pump or gas pump?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
DiamondSentinel

Post by DiamondSentinel » #325137

CPTANT wrote:When would you ever want to use a passive gate over a volume pump or gas pump?
So, a gas pump is reliant on pressure, and can fill up a tank to a certain amount, but aren't useful for moving mass quantities from one to another.
Volume pumps work very quickly, but have are a bit finicky (sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I've yet to do serious testing on how they work, I just know that they're good for moving a lot of gas quickly). I would assume that they work better at higher pressures, as higher pressures with the same volume moves more mol, but don't quote me there.
Passive gates, for starters, don't require power to be turned on and off. It's essentially a manual valve that only allows flow in one direction.

Again, don't quote me on this because I haven't actually done any code diving, this is just observations from my testing.

Edit: I also forgot something that's way more useful than the power/no power thing, and this applies to digital valves verses manual valves.

The AI can't engage manual valves and passive gates. That's the most important part of them. Anything that does not use power can't be utilized by an AI without a borg's help, so if you have an issue with a rogue AI, go off-grid as much as possible.
Last edited by DiamondSentinel on Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #325138

CPTANT wrote:When would you ever want to use a passive gate over a volume pump or gas pump?
iirc, passive gates have a near-instant flow rate as long as they're flowing from high to low pressure (similar to opening a valve), so if you're wanting to, say, use a pump to charge an air reservoir, you could then use a passive gate to connect said reservoir to distro to dump the contents the moment there's a pressure drop.
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master

Post by Hulkamania » #325187

I've heard of admin notes on players, can you read your own if you have any or are they only accessible by admins?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #325194

Hulkamania wrote:I've heard of admin notes on players, can you read your own if you have any or are they only accessible by admins?
some are, some aren't. ooc tab > view admin remarks
existence_success
Byond Username: Existence_success

Post by existence_success » #325221

If you don't set your clown/mime/etc. name on the character page can you set it at the start of the round?
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #325226

existence_success wrote:If you don't set your clown/mime/etc. name on the character page can you set it at the start of the round?
You'll have one of the default clown or mime names on the character setup page if you don't set it yourself, and I'm pretty sure you can't leave it blank. So no.

Although you could ask an admin to change it for you or something I suppose.
rumblystubble
Byond Username: Rumblystubble

Post by rumblystubble » #325668

DiamondSentinel wrote:
So, a gas pump is reliant on pressure, and can fill up a tank to a certain amount, but aren't useful for moving mass quantities from one to another.
Volume pumps work very quickly, but have are a bit finicky (sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I've yet to do serious testing on how they work, I just know that they're good for moving a lot of gas quickly). I would assume that they work better at higher pressures, as higher pressures with the same volume moves more mol, but don't quote me there.
Passive gates, for starters, don't require power to be turned on and off. It's essentially a manual valve that only allows flow in one direction.

Again, don't quote me on this because I haven't actually done any code diving, this is just observations from my testing.

Edit: I also forgot something that's way more useful than the power/no power thing, and this applies to digital valves verses manual valves.

The AI can't engage manual valves and passive gates. That's the most important part of them. Anything that does not use power can't be utilized by an AI without a borg's help, so if you have an issue with a rogue AI, go off-grid as much as possible.
I'm not sure about passive gates, but I know that one benefit of volume pumps you didn't state is that they don't leave trace amounts of gas when you use them to empty something.
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #326141

Where's our megafauna kill leaderboard?

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #326142

AnonymousNow wrote:Where's our megafauna kill leaderboard?
http://www.byond.com/games/TgstationHub ... tab=scores

This should really be added to the wiki or the homepage or something
Spoiler: