Why is TG unable to make new SS13 based games?

General SS13 Chat
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Why is TG unable to make new SS13 based games?

Post by Atticat » #433117

With the obvious failure of planetstation to come to fruition I was wondering if any long-term developers on this server wanted to opine about the reasons for TG's inability to develop something fresh and new.

Is balancing between two projects (SS13 and Planetstation, in this case) too much work to manage?
Is there less interest from talented coders and spriters in working on an open-source project compared to closed-source?
Are the main developers of TG station burnt out from developing the same old game for years now, when excitement in the SS13 has arguably shifted to other games (colonial marines, corporate mercs, star-trek 13 etc.)?

All of the above?

Seems to me like the maintainers of this server are pretty competent when it comes to bug fixes and server maintenance, perhaps even more competent than the other servers out there, so what's with the inability to create something new?

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: Why is TG unable to make new SS13 based games?

Post by DemonFiren » #433119

ss13 is cursed
next question
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #433121

Why would you create something new in BYOND instead of something with potential?
Also, if you work with a real engine the skills you acquire are more useful.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #433129

because half of the time a coder tries something new 500 bad faith posters will yell at you for trying something new, this has lost us multiple good coders already, and the ones that are still here either learnt how to say "go fuck yourself" to those people or just ignore the vile shit those people keep posting
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #433130

Qustinnus wrote:because half of the time a coder tries something new 500 bad faith posters will yell at you for trying something new, this has lost us multiple good coders already, and the ones that are still here either learnt how to say "go fuck yourself" to those people or just ignore the vile shit those people keep posting
I don't see how this post does anything to improve the forums and frankly it shouldn't even have been made. I have some discord messages I PMed you and you still haven't written them up into the forum post despite clearly reading them it's like you don't even want to implement good posts.

Stop changing shit in my subforum
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #433137

burnout, crappy engine, better things to do
don't get me wrong I still love the place and I probably always will but hey, after a while it gets tiring
personally the least burnout-prone thing for me to do is "boring" old refactors.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #433162

what do you mean new? planetstation isn't a new game, it's just taking the station and putting it on a station map.

There's literally very little required to actually achieve it but the person who was propagating the idea never actually put any time into it.

The sheer entitlement of saying /tg/ never develops something fresh and new when we have 400 changes a month is a little staggering.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #433166

oranges wrote:what do you mean new? planetstation isn't a new game, it's just taking the station and putting it on a station map.

There's literally very little required to actually achieve it but the person who was propagating the idea never actually put any time into it.

The sheer entitlement of saying /tg/ never develops something fresh and new when we have 400 changes a month is a little staggering.
Given the scope, I think it would be fair to call it a spinoff.

/tg/ develops plenty, I just think people are more interested in the core game. It's why everyone is here, after all.
Boris
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Borisvanmemes

Post by Boris » #433197

Planetstation isn't dead, give it like two more years, it'll happen.
current admin that was formerly retired due to inactivity
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #433253

The question is, should it happen? Could resources be used instead on something better, like...I don't know...Crab People?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
aradsten
Byond Username: Aradsten

Post by aradsten » #433268

Dont know if this is too out there but couldnt coders from tg contact other coders and all, togheter make a new game?

Also i think the two main problems is lack of will power and money
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #433273

Roping something as expansive as a spin-off game into base /tg/ development dooms it from the start. They'd find a lot more success if they made their own project, recruited other people with a similar vision from other SS13 communities, and made their own game with blackjack and hookers.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #433740

because why do shit for free
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls