The Catgirl Vote - Summoning Oranges

General SS13 Chat
actioninja
Byond Username: Actioninja

Re: The Catgirl Vote - Summoning Oranges

Post by actioninja » #453565

Bottom post of the previous page:

I still can't tell if this is some kind of 7D chess galaxy brain trolling or if you actually lack this much reading comprehension.
Either way this is one of the funniest forum threads I have read in a long time.
afelinidisfinetoo
Byond Username: A felinid is fine too

Post by afelinidisfinetoo » #453568

Steelpoint wrote:Are you intentionally ignoring the reasonings for wanting to remove Catpeople?
I absolutely am not ignoring the reasons why people want catgirls removed, but I am not accepting the bullshit desperation answer that it's because we simply must remove a race to make room for etherals. There are many, many better candidates if that were necessary, and it isn't.

The actual reasons people want catgirls removed is something I've talked about in another thread. To restate it briefly, the two primary reasons are as follows:
1) TGstation is composed chiefly of americans with mutilated penises and deep sexual repression, who consider, on an instinctive level, anything that is in any way sexually appealing (like catgirls) to be wrong
2) "anti-degeneracy" is an en vogue form of social signaling, people who are disliked by the community or otherwise want to be liked try to take on some kind of antihero hard-man persona with "anti-degenerate" campaigning. Based goofball!
Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Post by Togopal » #453569

Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #453571

afelinidisfinetoo wrote: Great, then this issue is closed.
I still have some unanswered questions I would love for us to move on to:
Why does the poll that you made hold that it's necessary to remove felinids in order to add etherals?

I'm not oranges but I'll try answering. This question is the same as the one below it so I'll skip it.

Is there some reason why a race needs to be removed in order for etherals to be added? If this is a congestion issue, why is it that felinids (the most popular nonhuman race) would be removed to make room when you could instead remove, for instance, flypeople?

Having too many races would give the game a "petting zoo" type of feel, and it would dilute the amount of attention and effort each individual race would get. This has been a problem in other servers. Flypeople are intentionally unpopular, given that they're a punishment race. They probably don't need to be a round start race.

Was the inclusion of the "Remove felinids and add <x> enticing new race" poll options an attempt to persuade the voters to vote to remove felinids? If not, what was your specific motivation in making these poll options?
How are etherals or IPCs relevant to this poll's stated premise, which was to gauge whether or not felinids belong in the game? Do you believe that motivating the voters with the promise of other races in any way taints the poll?

It's a decent way to gauge whether people just dislike felinids or if they're just against alien races in general.

The reason the question isn't a generic "would you rather have felinids or a different alien race" is because person A would vote for it because they want their grape jelly slime girl fetish race, person F would vote for it because they want their furry wolf race, and person xXx would vote for it because they want their edgy demon mary sue race. That poll question would be a landslide. Asking about the two races that could be realistically implemented gets a more honest result.
Substitute "you" for "oranges" as necessary for the questions to properly parse. Please remember to answer all of them and not just one. It won't take long.
Disclaimer: these are my personal opinions and oranges would call me a fucking retard if he had the attention span to read it, because he's a

fucking

dick
afelinidisfinetoo

Post by afelinidisfinetoo » #453574

Lazengann wrote: Having too many races would give the game a "petting zoo" type of feel, and it would dilute the amount of attention and effort each individual race would get. This has been a problem in other servers. Flypeople are intentionally unpopular, given that they're a punishment race. They probably don't need to be a round start race.
Great. If your only complaint is that the number of races needs to be reduced by one, we will remove any random race, it doesn't have to be a roundstart race. We can even remove plasmen too if we want. Just pick any race at random and people will want it removed rather than removing felinids. Any vote would confirm this and you 100% know that.
[the "remove felinids and add etherals" option] is a decent way to gauge whether people just dislike felinids or if they're just against alien races in general.
The purpose of the poll is not to decide whether the voters are for or against alien races as a general concept, it is to decide whether the voters want felinids to be included. Trying to poll for two things simultaneously will absolutely cross-contaminate the poll and make the results worthless. Ever wonder why a poll can have as many options as you want, but only one question? This would be why.

You didn't answer all the questions but I guess this was as close as anyone has come. You specifically ignored the questions pertaining to whether or not bribing the voters with new content in exchange for them voting to remove felinids taints the poll. I think you probably agree that it taints the poll, that's why you ignored those questions.
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #453576

I expertly dodged that question because I have no right to complain after I had the chance to complain before it went up and didn't
afelinidisfinetoo

Post by afelinidisfinetoo » #453577

Lazengann wrote:I expertly dodged that question because I have no right to complain after I had the chance to complain before it went up and didn't
Okay, makes sense.

It is really the cardinal sin of this whole thing, I don't care about anything else. I find it particularly awful that oranges publicly broadcasted in OOC and discord that "etherals will only get a guaranteed merge [if felinids lose the poll]". He knew that option was bribery, and he tried to sweeten it. I won't personally give him the benefit of the doubt after he did that. I think he tried his best to enforce his personal will on a sham of a vote. It is kind of amazing that his favored option only won by twenty votes out of 500+.
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #453581

Did he say that they'd never get merged ever unless they won?
afelinidisfinetoo

Post by afelinidisfinetoo » #453582

Lazengann wrote:Did he say that they'd never get merged ever unless they won?
To my knowledge he never said "Etherals will absolutely not be merged if catgirls win the vote", but he did say, emphatically: "The only guaranteed merge for etherals is if catgirls lose the vote." I specifically remember a morning where he threatened to ban me from the server for saying in OOC "Etherals will be merged regardless of what happens with catgirls", then made a highly visible announcement that it was a lie and that voting against catgirls was the only way to 100% ensure etherals would be merged. So I think he knew very much what he was doing.
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #453583

alright you got me
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #453602

the final gunshot was an exclamation mark to everything that had led up to this point, and then it was finally over
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #453608

Pls go outside :(