Excessive Vote Manipulation on /tg/

General SS13 Chat
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Re: Excessive Vote Manipulation on /tg/

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #454853

Bottom post of the previous page:

oranges wrote:which means I know that removing the etherals and IPC options leaves remove catgirls as the highest option, indicating that adding those two options did little to change the overall vote outcome, but giving us more detailed information about the levels of tradeoff people were willing to accept should catgirls be removed.
The mere fact that the options were there impact how people think about the vote, though. You have evidence to show that removing catpeople would still win however it would still be physically impossible to see what would've won if the option(s) of 'hey guys if you vote this then catpeople will be removed and you will get to play as the john wick race or lame fucking robots but whatever' wasn't there
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #454861

it really doesn't though, you're suggesting that the existence of the etherals options would make someone who would previously rank keep higher than remove would suddenly now put it lower than remove, even though they can rank in the form, have etherals, keep cats, remove cats.

Why would they switch sides completely when tey can express that they want etherals but then otherwise would prefer to keep cats? the argument makes no sense jerry.
afelinidisfinetoo
Byond Username: A felinid is fine too

Post by afelinidisfinetoo » #454862

oranges wrote:it really doesn't though, you're suggesting that the existence of the etherals options would make someone who would previously rank keep higher than remove would suddenly now put it lower than remove, even though they can rank in the form, have etherals, keep cats, remove cats.

Why would they switch sides completely when tey can express that they want etherals but then otherwise would prefer to keep cats? the argument makes no sense jerry.
I already said this, people are not obligated to follow the "Rank options from most to least desired" instructions and they can and do vote based on external factors. The presence of now-removed bribery options can this way influence the other votes and continue to taint the poll.

Also, oranges, you have never responded to the fact that regardless of whether or not the bribery attempt was successful or necessary, you did attempt voter bribery. You are not an impartial person and should never have gone within a thousand miles of this poll.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #454864

afelinidisfinetoo wrote:you did attempt voter bribery. You are not an impartial person and should never have gone within a thousand miles of this poll.
rolled my eyes to this post
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #454866

I'm waiting for my payout oranges...
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #454869

afelinidisfinetoo wrote:
oranges wrote:it really doesn't though, you're suggesting that the existence of the etherals options would make someone who would previously rank keep higher than remove would suddenly now put it lower than remove, even though they can rank in the form, have etherals, keep cats, remove cats.

I already said this, people are not obligated to follow the "Rank options from most to least desired" instructions and they can and do vote based on external factors. The presence of now-removed bribery options can this way influence the other votes and continue to taint the poll.

Also, oranges, you have never responded to the fact that regardless of whether or not the bribery attempt was successful or necessary, you did attempt voter bribery. You are not an impartial person and should never have gone within a thousand miles of this poll.
you're still suggesting that they would change their literal entire belief system because of two unrelated options :roll:
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #454872

The existence of ethereals option did technicially mess up IPCs however no one cares about robot men literally get out of here IPCs smh

Jokes aside, I'm just going off an assumption.

edit: eh, some stuff i wrote seems dumb. I'm too cynical now lol
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #454881

afelinidisfinetoo wrote:

>You are not an impartial person and should never have gone within a thousand miles of this poll.
>You are not an impartial person
>not an impartial person
>impartial
hahahahahahahahaha who said he was
you're lucky he made the poll at all
he doesn't answer to you and he never will
afelinidisfinetoo
Byond Username: A felinid is fine too

Post by afelinidisfinetoo » #454907

somerandomguy wrote:...
Okay. Instead of making a rigged poll, and poorly attempting to deceive the users into thinking that their opinion matters, next time just exercise your personal will (which is what happened anyway.)
CreationPro
Byond Username: Solar Marine

Post by CreationPro » #454913

i want to put cat ears on oranges
terranaut wrote:Scared? My stand 「CLOWN WORLD」 and it's 「FUNNY COMPANY」will defeat your weak stand in moments.
Terry the Moth, Melody Jean the roboticist and S.O.L. the cyborg.
I will not change my avatar but if I did I'd have this good KVADRATNIY boy.
Spoiler:
IkeTG wrote:love is okay
CreationPro wrote: i love you
IkeTG wrote:love is no longer okay
Old quotes and stuff
Spoiler:
obscolene wrote:I super glued my PC case shut please don't ask why.
<Pretendo> well Ia ksed in banbus
<AurxSS13> IA KSED! IA KSED! THE BLACK TYPO WITH A THOUSAND ERRORS!

<scaredofshadows> I randomly take buttons away from people
<scaredofshadows> because I am now rogue
<hornygranny> host is rouge
<Ikarrus> blow the admins
trytryagain66 wrote: I accidently axed a guy said I was sorry to him, then he punched me so I axed his head off.
Hibbles wrote:Man, I love CP. I wish we had more CP on the server.
Antonkr wrote:<antonkr> tfw you will never lick hg|works delicious sexy mustache
<antonkr> ;_;
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #454921

oranges wrote:you're still suggesting that they would change their literal entire belief system because of two unrelated options :roll:
What about those people that were undecided? What if someone thought "hey, catgirls aren't really my thing, but ethereals sound really cool, I'll vote them in instead!" Can you know how many people were aware that ethereals would have been added in anyway?

You made a vote that decided if cats were going to live or die, and you made the option to 1. Leave cats alive, 2. Kill cats and get $10.000. People voted to kill cats and it is revealed that everyone was going to get $10.000 regardless. Why do you think throwing in that money had no impact on the vote? Why do you think this vote is legitimate?
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #454923

CreationPro wrote:i want to put cat ears on oranges
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #454988

BONERMASTER wrote:
oranges wrote:you're still suggesting that they would change their literal entire belief system because of two unrelated options :roll:
What about those people that were undecided? What if someone thought "hey, catgirls aren't really my thing, but ethereals sound really cool, I'll vote them in instead!" Can you know how many people were aware that ethereals would have been added in anyway?

You made a vote that decided if cats were going to live or die, and you made the option to 1. Leave cats alive, 2. Kill cats and get $10.000. People voted to kill cats and it is revealed that everyone was going to get $10.000 regardless. Why do you think throwing in that money had no impact on the vote? Why do you think this vote is legitimate?
And he removed the money option
The next thing you say better not be "but you can't just remove things" because thanks not how IRV works
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #454997

I loved the pic you posted wonderin if I share it, would you mind?
I know a couple people online who would love it, please reply
Haha I can't stop laughing how did you find something this crazy
Please answer my question above
I'd like to print it and make copies
If you don't want me to share it, it's not a big deal
I understand, man
I do
Where did you find a picture this great?
I've seen so many, I've never seen anything close to this great, before
I really really really like this image
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #455013

BONERMASTER wrote:

If people actually thought this, you should have put the keep option front and foremost with ethereals being second. If you can’t bother to ask this prior to the poll I really have minimal sympathy.
delaron
Byond Username: Delaron

Post by delaron » #455039

Why wasn't keep Felinids and gain Etherels an option also then?

Having the one without the other is how it became a tilted poll.

It was a poorly constructed IRV regardless of outcome. That has been my point.

Besides this is all stupid drama because some people don't know how or don't want to play nice.

Lets dump the code base and play a IRV simulator instead. /tg/IRV station
-------
I'm not smart enough to meme.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #455054

BONERMASTER wrote:
Would they have been? I was under the impression that oranges wasn't planning on letting in any more mutant races without gutting another.
Spoiler:
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #455058

afelinidisfinetoo wrote:It is impossible to tell how the vote would have gone without those options. See https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 00#p453892 discussion chain
https://tgstation13.org/tgdb/irvpolltal ... Lk6Q%3D%3D

No its not.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #455074

MrStonedOne wrote:
afelinidisfinetoo wrote:It is impossible to tell how the vote would have gone without those options. See https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 00#p453892 discussion chain

No its not.
Now he's going to say you rigged it harder
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #455082

MrStonedOne wrote:

No its not.
Actually I believe they are aware of that, they claim that the presence of the other two options changed the results of those 3, which really makes no sense whatsoever
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #455084

I too change my opinions on whether I prefer steak or lasagne depending on whether there are burgers on the menu
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #455090

Screemonster wrote:I too change my opinions on whether I prefer steak or lasagne depending on whether there are burgers on the menu
>food analogy
Spoiler:
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #455104

CosmicScientist wrote:>eating lasagne
this is a thread about cats
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #455152

Voting in an IRV poll is tricky. You don't want to put your second-best pick in the second place especially when you really want your first pick to win and you think the second-best will be favoured by most people. In this case, it was easy to predict that both pro-cats and anti-cats would pick "replace cats with ethereals" as the second-best option. So the best course of action for staunch pro-cats would've been to put the ethereal option as lower as possible, to prevent aggregation from boosting it up to the top.
Digdugxx
Byond Username: Digdugxx

Post by Digdugxx » #455187

The fact of the matter is the presence of the bribery options have taken away votes from the simple remove or keep options and have therefore swayed things, even if by a little.

There is no promise that people care about their seconds, third and so on choice and as said by someone above, they may even change their rankings if they think voting something second might harm the chance of their first option being picked, i.e. if their first second option has a higher chance of being voted than their first by everyone else.
Spoiler:
Qbopper wrote:One of the few posts on the forums to make me genuinely laugh out loud, well done
:]]]
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #455190

oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #455216

Grazyn wrote:Voting in an IRV poll is tricky. You don't want to put your second-best pick in the second place especially when you really want your first pick to win and you think the second-best will be favoured by most people. In this case, it was easy to predict that both pro-cats and anti-cats would pick "replace cats with ethereals" as the second-best option. So the best course of action for staunch pro-cats would've been to put the ethereal option as lower as possible, to prevent aggregation from boosting it up to the top.
how the fuck can you hold this conception of voting? it's not even close to true, staunch pro cat users should put keep at teh top and then put whatever the fuck they wanted next as their next option. What your second rank option is has absolutely zero bearing on the outcome unless
A) you first pick got eliminated, in which case you want to use your second pick
B) your first and second picks are both ranked last with equal vote count in an elimination round(in which case the option with the higher number of higher rankings wins - this by the way, is the total vote value tracked value)

Therefore, in all cases, the optimal strategy is literally just to order your votes to match exactly what you would like to happen in order, anything else is non optimal for you.

keep
swap
remove
etc.
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #455217

itt: people didnt know how irv polling worked when they voted and now are upset
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #455237

Nilons wrote:itt: people didnt know how irv polling worked when they voted and now are upset
itt: people still don't know how irv polling works
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #455239

oranges wrote: how the fuck can you hold this conception of voting? it's not even close to true, staunch pro cat users should put keep at teh top and then put whatever the fuck they wanted next as their next option. What your second rank option is has absolutely zero bearing on the outcome unless
A) you first pick got eliminated, in which case you want to use your second pick
B) your first and second picks are both ranked last with equal vote count in an elimination round(in which case the option with the higher number of higher rankings wins - this by the way, is the total vote value tracked value)

Therefore, in all cases, the optimal strategy is literally just to order your votes to match exactly what you would like to happen in order, anything else is non optimal for you.

keep
swap
remove
etc.
In this specific case it wouldn't have changed anything, cats would've lost regardless, but in general whenever there's an IRV poll that you consider a binary poll ("I only want my option to win and I don't care about any of the other options") the best course of action is to identify what you believe will be a popular option and try to keep its total vote value as low as possible, which means NOT selecting it as your second pick, even if you do have a slight preference for it, for the very reason you mentioned.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #455256

If people don’t know how to vote tactically (lol) or tried to tactical vote but were crap at it, what does it matter? We’re not having another poll for a while and certainly not because voters “screwed up”
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #455267

Cobby wrote:If people don’t know how to vote tactically (lol) or tried to tactical vote but were crap at it, what does it matter? We’re not having another poll for a while and certainly not because voters “screwed up”
No one is implying that so no need to get defensive, it's just good advice for future votes. It can apply to headmin elections too if you think that your candidate is the best and all the others are trash.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #455272

Grazyn wrote:
Cobby wrote:If people don’t know how to vote tactically (lol) or tried to tactical vote but were crap at it, what does it matter? We’re not having another poll for a while and certainly not because voters “screwed up”
No one is implying that so no need to get defensive, it's just good advice for future votes. It can apply to headmin elections too if you think that your candidate is the best and all the others are trash.
All I asked was what's the point then tying it back to the general topic of the thread in which somehow voters were wronged. Apart from this post I don't really see where the defensive part came in.
CosmicScientist wrote:Oh I geddit now, total vote value tracked. I didn't realise that was how eliminations/the winner was sorted because the rounds are shown instead as if useful. Why are options eliminated then instead of just saying dis is the highest vote value?
Since I know my voting pool is smaller I put my votes in the following order (and why I no longer share my votes):

People I want
People I don't want
Admins I don't want

This allows my top votes to get more value. Players however should always go Item I want > Item I don't want.
BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #455274

I think it would be very helpful for the future to not throw in unrelated goodies in a binary poll. I also think there are many other more important issues to start votes on, for example, removing oranges from the coding team... when do we hold the vote on that?

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #455278

CosmicScientist wrote:Oh I geddit now, total vote value tracked. I didn't realise that was how eliminations/the winner was sorted because the rounds are shown instead as if useful. Why are options eliminated then instead of just saying dis is the highest vote value?
no, total vote value only comes into play as a tiebreaker, as oranges said
oranges wrote: B) your first and second picks are both ranked last with equal vote count in an elimination round(in which case the option with the higher number of higher rankings wins - this by the way, is the total vote value tracked value)
otherwise eliminated first pick votes are assigned to second picks. So, keeping total vote value as low as possible for the option you think could tie with yours is still the optimal choice.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #455281

CosmicScientist wrote:Oh right I don't understand what's up with your decision making then.

Seems like a meme though unless either your group can commit to voting similarly or there are very few voters total, especially given it's the edge case of a tie.
We're talking about polls that can end up incredibily close, so yes edge cases become important, and why would you want to vote in the non-optimal way and decrease your chances? It's not like you have to coordinate your voting group, just don't pick a popular option as your second pick, take a random one or even better one you think would be the least popular, so if it ties with yours it won't get boosted by higher vote value
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Post by Denton » #455285

BONERMASTER wrote:I think it would be very helpful for the future to not throw in unrelated goodies in a binary poll. I also think there are many other more important issues to start votes on, for example, removing oranges from the coding team... when do we hold the vote on that?
Aren't you the dude who got gitbanned for flooding the git PR with NSFW pictures
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #455286

BONERMASTER wrote:removing oranges from the coding team... when do we hold the vote on that?
when we have the vote to remove you from the server and forums
BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #455288

I very rarely post comments on the github. I had no involvement on the PR.
somerandomguy wrote:
BONERMASTER wrote:removing oranges from the coding team... when do we hold the vote on that?
In the spirit of this vote, I offer you a compromise:

Option 1: Leave everything as is
Option 2: Ban BONERMASTER forever ... and oranges, too.

You decide!

Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #455295

You don't know if there is going to be a tie, my method simply takes into account this possibility. And yes, I explicitly said that it's only optimal in the case of IRV "binary" polls where you want one and only one option to win
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #455305

basically if you take this method and your vote doesn't win you screw yourself over: the high risk low reward option lol
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #455310

BONERMASTER wrote:I very rarely post comments on the github. I had no involvement on the PR.
somerandomguy wrote:
In the spirit of this vote, I offer you a compromise:

Option 1: Leave everything as is
Option 2: Ban BONERMASTER forever ... and oranges, too.

You decide!
bait: taken
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #455326

CosmicScientist wrote:
identify what you believe will be a popular option and try to keep its total vote value as low as possible, which means NOT selecting it as your second pick, even if you do have a slight preference for it, for the very reason you mentioned.
The fact that you have a slight preference doesn't mean the poll isn't binary for you, it's just another shade of losing. You still want your option to win. It's not really a gamble and you're not sacrificing anything.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #455336

it's not an optimal choice because ties rarely happen.

The optimal play is to simply rank in the order you most want things, anything else will be non optimal and banking on there being a tie between those items, which is too rare to be worth it. Let alone the fact that in a vote of 600+ people not enough of them are going to play in the way your thinking to even manage to swing a tie breaker.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #455383

Honestly I favor doing votes in any way that will fuck over people who over think votes.

Strategic voting is a net loss for democracy every time, and should be eradicated with mocking, votes rigged against it, and the fire of a thousand suns.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #455393

MrStonedOne wrote:Honestly I favor doing votes in any way that will fuck over people who over think votes.

Strategic voting is a net loss for democracy every time, and should be eradicated with mocking, votes rigged against it, and the fire of a thousand suns.
:thinking:
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #455913

I personally rigged the vote both times and the reason they had to spend weeks filtering it was to undo all the damage me and my ukranian botnet did to it.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #455914

MrStonedOne wrote:Honestly I favor doing votes in any way that will fuck over people who over think votes.

amen
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #455917

John Smith wrote:This isn't relegated to just the recent and controversial feline vote. It seems at every turn when it comes to counting votes the desired results of the people in charge somehow always become the default option, or the option with 4 ways of voting for it, and only a single way to vote against it. On top of this, they host the votes in rounds, rather then just taking the vote as it was from the outset, moving the default option to the one they wanted.

This happens with restart votes too. If you don't vote, you're counted as a no vote, rather then as not voting at all, so even if a voting majority decides to restart, the restart will more then likely not take place because the majority of players did not participate in the vote.

It doesn't matter what the vote is, the monarchs in charge will find a way to count them the way they want them to add up.
WOW ITS LIKE WHAT I SAID FOR THE PAST THREE YEARS

CRAZY AMIRITE?
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #455940

yes you are.