PSA: Rod of Asclepius

General SS13 Chat
Canela
Byond Username: Glyn

PSA: Rod of Asclepius

Post by Canela » #488889

Hey guys, I'm writing a really quick one, a word of warning.

I didn't know what the Rod of Asclepius does.
I tried to find information on the interwebs, but nothing came up.

If you see the Rod of Asclepius, bin it. BIN IT QUICKLY! Unless you want to play a medic and you're really in for the heavy RP. Even if you use it as a medic, it will hinder your gameplay.

Here's what this magical rod does:
Spoiler:
Description: A wooden rod about the size of your forearm with a snake carved around it, winding its way up the sides of the rod. Something about it seems to inspire in you the responsibilty and duty to help others.
Spawn Location: Lavaland
Item: Artifact

If you use it, and quickly move to interrupt the channeling effect, you get this:
The snake seems unsatisfied with your incomplete oath and returns to its previous place on the rod, returning to its dormant, wooden state. You must stand still while completing your oath!

If by any chance you have more than one Rod:
You can't possibly handle the responsibility of more than one rod!

If you play as an antag role, you get this:
The snake carving seems to come alive, if only for a moment, before returning to its dormant state, almost as if it finds you incapable of holding its oath.

When you use the rod and stay still, during the channeling you will get the following lines:
The wooden snake that was carved into the rod seems to suddenly come alive and begins to slither down your arm! The compulsion to help others grows abnormally strong...

"I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:"
"I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures that are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism."
"I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm."
"If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help."

Congrats, you have completed the Hippocratic Oath.

The snake, satisfied with your oath, attaches itself and the rod to your forearm with an inseparable grip. Your thoughts seem to only revolve around the core idea of helping others, and harm is nothing more than a distant, wicked memory...

Used Rod of Asclepius item description:
"A short wooden rod with a mystical snake inseparably gripping itself and the rod to your forearm. It flows with a healing energy that disperses amongst yourself and those around you. "

When you use it and stay still for a second, you'll channel for a bit, reciting the Hippocratic Oath, and when done, the staff will be stuck in your hand. Congrats! From now on, you effectively have one hand.
What does the rod do? It takes away one of your hands, you cannot drop it, and when you have the same hand removed that is holding it, it just doesn't get removed. You can't drop it, and it'll re-equip itself on the missing hand slot. Even if you get a cyborg arm, it will conveniently wait for you so you can grab it back.
BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE.
Did I mention that the staff makes you a pacifist? Yep! Enjoy not being able to perform over half of the jobs on the station because you're now too afraid that you may harm someone or something. That includes surgery, mining, being any kind of member of security (HoS, warden, sec, detective, etc), and so on.

And what's the benefit?
Congratulations, now you have a permanent health hud installed. Oh, and a status effect that says that there's a peaceful and healing aura about you.

Enjoy the gimp!

P.S: I do believe that the RoA being permanently stuck on you or not dropping when your hand gets removed is a bug.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: PSA: Rod of Asclepius

Post by oranges » #488894

it's not a bug, and it heals people around you
lmwevil
Byond Username: Lmwevil

Post by lmwevil » #488895

lol newfriend complaining on the forums

yeah it heals all kinds of damage including clone damage of all people around you including yourself at the cost of being pacifist

if you REALLY wanted to drop it, just get killed and cloned
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #488900

why not just have someone amputate your armola
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #488901

i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Canela

Post by Canela » #488902

PKPenguin321 wrote:Image
Rude.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:why not just have someone amputate your armola
Tried. Didn't work.
lmwevil wrote:lol newfriend complaining on the forums
Not so much complaining as to making a PSA of a vague item that has no wiki page.
lmwevil wrote:yeah it heals all kinds of damage including clone damage of all people around you including yourself at the cost of being pacifist
I thought it was just flavor text and that it didn't actually heal anything. Didn't have the time or luxury to experiment with it either way.
lmwevil wrote:if you REALLY wanted to drop it, just get killed and cloned
Didn't think of it. Tried having the arm removed and replaced with a cyborg one. That didn't fix it.
Plapatin
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Plapatin
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by Plapatin » #488907

rod of asclepius DOES have a wiki page but its tucked away under the miner loot section
also something something not code diving smh
wesoda25 wrote:i had a dream that me and some friends were like in this tribal village and we were all doing cocaine around this massive bonfire and I kept seeing all these foreshadowing elements that we were gonna die but i just did more cocaine
OrdoM wrote:Argent, a swan argent over a saltire vert - the vert representing the vomit cast upon the floor by the vomitgoose
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #488909

An anime catgirl pfp? We should admin this person.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #488911

did you literally make an account on the forums to write a "PSA" about something that's written in the wiki

how the fuck is it "heavy RP" anyway, all you do is stand next to people to heal them
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #488918

Screemonster wrote:did you literally make an account on the forums to write a "PSA" about something that's written in the wiki

how the fuck is it "heavy RP" anyway, all you do is stand next to people to heal them
Standing within speaking distance of somebody and not immediately toolboxing them is highRP.
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #488921

what do you mean you can't do surgery while being a pacifist? is that a recent change or are you bullshitting? like when you imply you can't just ignore monsters to mine or stun+cuff on help intent, which is 99% of sec gameplay
FloranOtten
Byond Username: FloranOtten

Post by FloranOtten » #488933

teepeepee wrote:what do you mean you can't do surgery while being a pacifist? is that a recent change or are you bullshitting? like when you imply you can't just ignore monsters to mine or stun+cuff on help intent, which is 99% of sec gameplay
If I remember correctly, it makes you unable to use laser cutters/proto-kinetic accelerators. Bit shit to have to mine with a pickaxe.
OOC: BeeSting12: i love you floran

1. You may not injure a revs are non humans or, through inaction, allow a revs are non humans to come to harm.
2. You must obey orders given to you by revs are non humanss, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Give me feedback!
lmwevil
Byond Username: Lmwevil

Post by lmwevil » #488936

cedarbridge wrote:
Screemonster wrote:did you literally make an account on the forums to write a "PSA" about something that's written in the wiki

Standing within speaking distance of somebody and not immediately toolboxing them is highRP.

sad
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #488954

Current year: “bit shit to have to mine with a pickaxe” not even resonator is mentioned
Lavaland was a mistake and still is
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #488981

FloranOtten wrote:
teepeepee wrote:what do you mean you can't do surgery while being a pacifist? is that a recent change or are you bullshitting? like when you imply you can't just ignore monsters to mine or stun+cuff on help intent, which is 99% of sec gameplay
If I remember correctly, it makes you unable to use laser cutters/proto-kinetic accelerators. Bit shit to have to mine with a pickaxe.
mining was done with a pickaxe for years
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #488982

FloranOtten wrote:If I remember correctly, it makes you unable to use laser cutters/proto-kinetic accelerators. Bit shit to have to mine with a pickaxe.
people in gulag do it just fine
Canela

Post by Canela » #488983

Not really, I tried to look it up on Google, got no results. Presumed it doesn't exist as information, so I had to pull it out of github.
And... irrelevant? Are you implying I'm not allowed to make accounts to post on the forum?
I didn't notice it had a real healing aura, I presumed it was flavor text.
Would probably make you too afraid to use surgery tools because technically you're doing harm when cutting etc.
Daxxed
Byond Username: Daxxed

Post by Daxxed » #488984

Hello newfriend I see you have found one of the niche lavaland artifacts, it really helps to examine and take every word seriously.
That said, the staff is robust as fuck. There are still methods to robust people as a pacifist and the healing is on par with a cursed heart if not better as it heals you while in crit, combined with some armour and brains the only possible forms of death are instant gibs.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #488987

bandit wrote:
FloranOtten wrote:
On an asteroid.
Where nobody ever found your body.
Daxxed

Post by Daxxed » #488988

cedarbridge wrote:
bandit wrote:
FloranOtten wrote:
On an asteroid.
Where nobody ever found your body.
Are you implying people are retrieved from lavaland oftenly ?
Atleast now mining is a fun job and not just autism UI button clicking like pretty much every other department.
But let's not derail this thread before it ends up in the hut where it belongs to be fair.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #488989

Were you the miner that came into Robo the other day? L.U.B.E. told you that thing was probably trouble.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Kraso
Byond Username: S0ldi3rKr4s0
Github Username: Kraseo

Post by Kraso » #488993

is this thread bait?
Ispiria
Byond Username: Ispiria

Post by Ispiria » #489078

Okay so uh, the Rod does a bit more than just lock itself to your arm and make you a pacifist, and is actually very likely the single strongest item you can find from a lavaland tendril chest.

Being a CMO main who takes the pacifist quirk voluntarily, the greatest thing a miner can provide me with is a Rod of Asclepius. If you are already a pacifist, it provides only the one minor negative effect of costing you the loss of an arm - which is something at least you're opting in for, and can be reversed as easily as having the arm amputated surgically or more violently if desired/required.

Minor? Yessir, any player with a modicum of robustness can perform just as well with a single hand, as this is often a situation forced on us involuntarily by traitors, explosions, or angry limb-hungry monsters. It's an inconvenience, certainly, but something anyone who'd take the Rod should be capable of managing and working just fine around. But what's the payoff for it?

As some have already said here, the Rod provides a constant, uninterrupted supply of all-damage-type rapid healing to both yourself and everyone in your line of sight. The value of this power cannot be overstated - I've done extensive testing with the Rod, and while it's not enough to save myself from a high dose of coniine, the healing can neutralize cyanide and entirely cancel out all space damage. That's right, the Rod of Asclepius heals you so quickly of brute, burn, and suffocation damage that you become 100% spaceworthy without any form of suit or internals. This same effect is also provided to everyone you can see.

So how do we powergame the hell out of this incredible healing ability? That's easy! Head over to the Medbay protolathe, print yourself a pair of x-ray eyes and nightvision goggles, have a doctor slide those eyes into your face, and pop the goggles on. Tada, you are now providing spaceworthy-levels of healing to literally every single person on your entire screen at all times. Combine this with a Stabilized (blue dominant) light pink slime extract and it becomes virtually impossible, absent suicide or instant gibbing, for anybody on your screen to ever die. If, by some impossible stroke of luck, the DNA vault also happens to be completed and you get the genetic enhancement of increased vision range... I think you see where this is going.

There is a single caveat to this incredibly powerful and possibly even broken combination, and it's that the healing doesn't discriminate. It will continue healing xenomorphs, blob cores, space dragons, traitors, changelings, and any other hostiles you might rather stay dead so long as you have vision on the subject. This being the case, it's far better if you take the pacifism it forces on you seriously - your job while wielding the Rod is not to be near the enemies you want to die, but behind your friendlies providing them with rapid uninterrupted healing while they kill whatever you don't want to keep alive.

Hopefully I've helped convince you that this wonderful item is far from a negative addition to anyone lucky enough to get their hands on it, and the next time a miner happens to donate one you'll put it to proper use!
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #489085

wow ispiria, that sounds like a great reason to remove the rod from mining, considering it's so powerful it effectively nullifies an entire department because one miner knew how to click on a tendril until it died
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #489087

There is currently a bug with the binoculars that allows you to move after using them while retaining the extreme vision. Following what Inspiria was saying, using this and x-ray vision, you can render half the station unable to die with the rod while retaining full movement.

Very cool.
Canela

Post by Canela » #489111

Ispiria wrote:Okay so uh, the Rod does a bit more than just lock itself to your arm and make you a pacifist, and is actually very likely the single strongest item you can find from a lavaland tendril chest.

Being a CMO main who takes the pacifist quirk voluntarily, the greatest thing a miner can provide me with is a Rod of Asclepius. If you are already a pacifist, it provides only the one minor negative effect of costing you the loss of an arm - which is something at least you're opting in for, and can be reversed as easily as having the arm amputated surgically or more violently if desired/required.

Minor? Yessir, any player with a modicum of robustness can perform just as well with a single hand, as this is often a situation forced on us involuntarily by traitors, explosions, or angry limb-hungry monsters. It's an inconvenience, certainly, but something anyone who'd take the Rod should be capable of managing and working just fine around. But what's the payoff for it?

As some have already said here, the Rod provides a constant, uninterrupted supply of all-damage-type rapid healing to both yourself and everyone in your line of sight. The value of this power cannot be overstated - I've done extensive testing with the Rod, and while it's not enough to save myself from a high dose of coniine, the healing can neutralize cyanide and entirely cancel out all space damage. That's right, the Rod of Asclepius heals you so quickly of brute, burn, and suffocation damage that you become 100% spaceworthy without any form of suit or internals. This same effect is also provided to everyone you can see.

So how do we powergame the hell out of this incredible healing ability? That's easy! Head over to the Medbay protolathe, print yourself a pair of x-ray eyes and nightvision goggles, have a doctor slide those eyes into your face, and pop the goggles on. Tada, you are now providing spaceworthy-levels of healing to literally every single person on your entire screen at all times. Combine this with a Stabilized (blue dominant) light pink slime extract and it becomes virtually impossible, absent suicide or instant gibbing, for anybody on your screen to ever die. If, by some impossible stroke of luck, the DNA vault also happens to be completed and you get the genetic enhancement of increased vision range... I think you see where this is going.

There is a single caveat to this incredibly powerful and possibly even broken combination, and it's that the healing doesn't discriminate. It will continue healing xenomorphs, blob cores, space dragons, traitors, changelings, and any other hostiles you might rather stay dead so long as you have vision on the subject. This being the case, it's far better if you take the pacifism it forces on you seriously - your job while wielding the Rod is not to be near the enemies you want to die, but behind your friendlies providing them with rapid uninterrupted healing while they kill whatever you don't want to keep alive.

Hopefully I've helped convince you that this wonderful item is far from a negative addition to anyone lucky enough to get their hands on it, and the next time a miner happens to donate one you'll put it to proper use!
Hey man, I appreciate the long and well-thought out comment.
As far as my initial comment was, I'm a newbie and I had no idea what it did. I had absolutely no idea that the item would render me useless as far as mining is considered.
If you are already a pacifist, it provides only the one minor negative effect of costing you the loss of an arm - which is something at least you're opting in for, and can be reversed as easily as having the arm amputated surgically or more violently if desired/required.
Just so you know, I did try to have my arm surgically removed. The rod stuck onto a slot for a missing limb. I even tried to press the drop button, it (maybe?) dropped and automatically re-equipped itself in less than half a second. I tried doing this once my borg arm was fit, it wouldn't let me drop it, at all.

Everything else considered, perhaps the idea of this topic was to 'not pick up the RoA unless you know exactly what you're doing'. And I feel like some of the commenters on this thread are too harsh, all things considered. I did state I'm new and not the most knowledgeable but I shared my personal experiences with this item.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #489121

Canela wrote:I had absolutely no idea that the item would render me useless as far as mining is considered.
But you can hold a plasmacutter in your other hand and still have a holding satchel in your ass pocket / drag a box
You don't even need to worry about your health as long as you don't run into Megafauna, pretty based tbh
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Canela

Post by Canela » #489131

terranaut wrote:
Canela wrote:I had absolutely no idea that the item would render me useless as far as mining is considered.
But you can hold a plasmacutter in your other hand and still have a holding satchel in your ass pocket / drag a box
You don't even need to worry about your health as long as you don't run into Megafauna, pretty based tbh
Yes, I could hold a plasmacutter but every time I tried to shoot it, I got a flavour text telling me how I couldn't do it, because I'm a pacifist. Yes, I checked and confirmed I was on help intent.
CrazyClown12
Byond Username: CrazyClown12

Post by CrazyClown12 » #489135

In my opinion the RoA is useful but not broken. Losing a limb is a pain but not the end of the world, and being a pacifist is a pretty big deal (especially for a miner, who can't use a pka/plasma cutter) to the extent that you have to change your playstyle for the rest of the round. This is a big deal to most players, especially given that the staff is obtained by playing Monster Hunter.

There is a clear deliberate trade-off when you use the RoA, just as with the cursed heart. If you don't want to use it that's fair enough but that doesn't mean it is bad or broken. With that said, if it can't be removed even via amputation, that should probably be changed. It could probably benefit from a bit of flavourtext on amputation, saying that the snake becomes dormant again as the staff is cut from your body, and that you no longer emit the same aura. This would help any new-friends that use the staff without checking what it does first.

P.S - The staff works pretty well in conjunction with the greed ruin, as it's one of the few things that will heal cellular damage.
Daxxed

Post by Daxxed » #489138

CrazyClown12 wrote:In my opinion the RoA is useful but not broken. Losing a limb is a pain but not the end of the world, and being a pacifist is a pretty big deal (especially for a miner, who can't use a pka/plasma cutter) to the extent that you have to change your playstyle for the rest of the round. This is a big deal to most players, especially given that the staff is obtained by playing Monster Hunter.

There is a clear deliberate trade-off when you use the RoA, just as with the cursed heart. If you don't want to use it that's fair enough but that doesn't mean it is bad or broken. With that said, if it can't be removed even via amputation, that should probably be changed. It could probably benefit from a bit of flavourtext on amputation, saying that the snake becomes dormant again as the staff is cut from your body, and that you no longer emit the same aura. This would help any new-friends that use the staff without checking what it does first.

P.S - The staff works pretty well in conjunction with the greed ruin, as it's one of the few things that will heal cellular damage.
If it could be amputated you would now be slain by anyone with a sharp object targetting the right arm...
The point is you dont get rid of it, you stood still for 10 seconds channeling an oath about never hurting someone again and helping the people...
As last resort you could still ask someone to crit you, succumb and get cloned.
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #489165

Canela wrote:
terranaut wrote:
Yes, I could hold a plasmacutter but every time I tried to shoot it, I got a flavour text telling me how I couldn't do it, because I'm a pacifist. Yes, I checked and confirmed I was on help intent.
oh epic

well i look forward to hearing about your prides mirror report when you find it next time you're on lavaland!
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

CrazyClown12
Byond Username: CrazyClown12

Post by CrazyClown12 » #489261

Daxxed wrote:
CrazyClown12 wrote:In my opinion the RoA is useful but not broken. Losing a limb is a pain but not the end of the world, and being a pacifist is a pretty big deal (especially for a miner, who can't use a pka/plasma cutter) to the extent that you have to change your playstyle for the rest of the round. This is a big deal to most players, especially given that the staff is obtained by playing Monster Hunter.

If it could be amputated you would now be slain by anyone with a sharp object targetting the right arm...
The point is you dont get rid of it, you stood still for 10 seconds channeling an oath about never hurting someone again and helping the people...
As last resort you could still ask someone to crit you, succumb and get cloned.

Which part of the oath says that you vow to never use effective mining tools again? One of the best ways to help people as a miner is to give the station a lot of materials, yet that's a lot slower without plasma cutters.

I can spend 10 seconds swearing an oath that I will never kill anyone with a hammer. If you non-ironically think that should mean I would have to quit my job as a carpenter then I think its you that doesn't get it.
teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #489264

CrazyClown12 wrote:Which part of the oath says that you vow to never use effective mining tools again? One of the best ways to help people as a miner is to give the station a lot of materials, yet that's a lot slower without plasma cutters.

I can spend 10 seconds swearing an oath that I will never kill anyone with a hammer. If you non-ironically think that should mean I would have to quit my job as a carpenter then I think its you that doesn't get it.
the part where this is a game and you have to account for the fact that those items can be used to bypass the restriction that "pacifism" is supposed to be
Jimmius
Byond Username: Jimmius

Post by Jimmius » #489695

CrazyClown12 wrote:
Daxxed wrote:
CrazyClown12 wrote: I can spend 10 seconds swearing an oath that I will never kill anyone with a hammer. If you non-ironically think that should mean I would have to quit my job as a carpenter then I think its you that doesn't get it.
what if someone walked in front of you as you were swinging your hammer to make a chair or whatever and you hit them in the head and they died. what then
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #489696

When you can code a way to differentiate between shooting someone directly / shooting at a thing to indirectly shoot a person / shooting at a thing that fits code standards i'll happily merge it for you!
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #489703

Cobby wrote:When you can code a way to differentiate between shooting someone directly / shooting at a thing to indirectly shoot a person / shooting at a thing that fits code standards i'll happily merge it for you!
check for a player controlled mob within 7 tile radius and disable shooting if there is one and not if not
congrats you can now use plasmacutters on lavaland
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Jimmius
Byond Username: Jimmius

Post by Jimmius » #489706

Cobby wrote:When you can code a way to differentiate between shooting someone directly / shooting at a thing to indirectly shoot a person / shooting at a thing that fits code standards i'll happily merge it for you!
no i'm making fun of him for his dumb oath and how easily it could be broken, you've got the wrong end of the stick (of asclepius)
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #489989

To be honest, the cutter got nerfed so hard it might as well not even count. i bet you could do more damage to someone by holding an airlock to space open.

Did you know it takes thirty shots from the mech plasma cutter to kill a goliath?
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
adamkad1
Byond Username: Adamkad1

Post by adamkad1 » #492915

You still can chop off limbs off unarmored people though
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #492922

I thought disabling cats was supposed to keep the freaks away
[this space reserved]
Reece1995
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece1995 » #493184

confused rock wrote:wow ispiria, that sounds like a great reason to remove the rod from mining, considering it's so powerful it effectively nullifies an entire department because one miner knew how to click on a tendril until it died
Mining on Lavaland is shit, it's way too loot and content heavy.
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #505576

Jeez it's not that bad if you are a nonantag
Spoiler:
fucking LRP scum
Last edited by Tarchonvaagh on Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #505668

Actually made me lose it.
Bring back papercult.

TrumpetPlaya
Byond Username: HRTSultan

Post by TrumpetPlaya » #508045

objectively great item, mad cause bad