What's the deal with Grenade triggers?

General SS13 Chat
nothus
Byond Username: Felixnothus

What's the deal with Grenade triggers?

Post by nothus » #504884

So I've been playing now for a few weeks, and while I love the game the wiki is really starting to annoy me with how outdated it can be.

I've been learning and loving the chemist role for a while now, and have been experimenting with all sorts of grenades and their triggers.

From what I understand, triggers were given a recent update so they don't have to use igniters to blow up.
Not sure how this affected triggers, but after doing some experimenting I have found that triggers do not work as the wiki says they should, or they do not work at all.

Things that I think aren't working: Mouse trap bombs will only go off when taken from bags, not when stepped on as the wiki says.

Proximity grenades don't go off when someone goes near them, they definitely beep in a threatening way indicate the proximity sensor is working, but the bomb does not go off. (Yes, I messed around with all the proximy sensor settings and it doesn't work).

Health sensor grenades don't seem to work at all. (Yes, I did turn it on before I attached it)

Voice sensor grenades work fine.

There's are all the triggers I tested,

So either triggers were changed dramatically enough that the wiki is irrelevant, or there's some vital step I'm missing here that isn't mentioned in the wiki with how to use triggers.

What's going on? It's really starting to drive me nuts when my plans are foiled by items that don't work as the wiki describes.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Re: What's the deal with Grenade triggers?

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #504915

just tested in game they all work as intended, mousetrap functionality was changed from step + taken off from bags to only taken off from bags as proxy sensors does the same (range 1 for exploding when in same tile)

did you turn on the proxy sensor and attached it to wire or did you attach it to wire and then primed?
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #504930

the wiki is frequently out of date in general
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
nothus
Byond Username: Felixnothus

Post by nothus » #505148

OK GUYS after MUCH experimentation, I found out what I was doing wrong.

So, this whole time, I'd been using a screwdriver on the trigger, to put it into "attachment mode".
I thought this was a vital part of the assembly process, but APPARENTLY putting them into "assembly" mode makes the proximity and health sensors NOT FUNCTION. |

This is extremely weird, since other triggers like mousttrap and voice recorder, you CAN put into attach mode, and they WILL work.

By gods, this whole thing has been driving me nuts for the last few days.

Happy to report now everything seems to work almost as advertised.

SO IF ANYONE ELSE FINDS THEY CAN'T GET TRIGGERS TO WORK, DON'T PUT THEM INTO "ATTACH MODE" BEFORE ATTACHING THEM, COUNTER-INTUITIVELY ENOUGH.
Angust
Byond Username: Angust

Post by Angust » #506354

When updating that wiki page I didn't realize mousetrap grenades can no longer be stepped on.

Edit: Updated wiki with Nothus findings and did more testing myself. I could not make the prox sensor work no matter what I tried. I tried having it on "not arming" and "5 seconds" before attaching. Then primed it in hand. Waited. Ran across it. Nothing happened. I tried having it to "arming" and "10 seconds" before attaching it. Didn't work. I tried priming and not priming the grenade in hand. Nothing happened. Too tired to make issue report. Can't figure out a way to make grenades explode instantly with multitool also.