Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Re: We should have a dedicated RP server

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #506949

SHH MARINE MAN
ragevirus
Byond Username: Ragevirus

Post by ragevirus » #506962

I have thought the same for a long time. Since we now have a spare Sybil that is always empty, why not just make that a designated RP server?
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #506968

What would a dedicated RP experience on tgcode even be since the codebase is tightly balanced around a mix of action and downtime? Baycode can get away with high roleplay because they have so much more depth to their mechanics, and thus rounds can last longer, how would you envision a dedicated RP server for tg?

Whenever I hear people say tg should be higher RP I just assume they're sitting in the bar chatting or building giant Atmos forts, both of which sound incredibly boring prompts for roleplay after about ten to fifteen minutes
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #506993

Shaps-cloud wrote:What would a dedicated RP experience on tgcode even be since the codebase is tightly balanced around a mix of action and downtime? Baycode can get away with high roleplay because they have so much more depth to their mechanics, and thus rounds can last longer, how would you envision a dedicated RP server for tg?

Whenever I hear people say tg should be higher RP I just assume they're sitting in the bar chatting or building giant Atmos forts, both of which sound incredibly boring prompts for roleplay after about ten to fifteen minutes
You really don't need that much more than encouraging it and banning people from the RP server that don't put in a minimum effort of RPing, honestly. It works for Cit and I'm not referring to the 10 Assistants that fuck off roundstart to ERP but just normal interactions that happen between the crew while chaos unfolds around them.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #507023

The only real depth of roleplay you can build in tg is through high concept events. The issue there is you either need to beat the whole server over the head with centcom messages for them to follow the lore and participate in it or make it opt-in for 5-15 people while the rest fuck about as normal ignoring it.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #507031

Shaps-cloud wrote:both of which sound incredibly boring prompts for roleplay after about ten to fifteen minutes
Boring to your generic tg player, who wouldn't bother with such server in the first place.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #507041

come and hrp in sybil 2
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #507062

ERP*
SaveVatznick
Byond Username: SaveVatznick

Post by SaveVatznick » #507070

Why is everyone so against even giving this a try? No one's on the server as is. It'd be a good experiment to see if TG could host multiple levels of RP. If people don't actively try to troll the server just 'cause, it jight turn out quite pleasantly, and at least give valuable feedback on what parts of a stricter ruleset work and what doesn't.

Also waiting for the trogs to come in screaming Baaaaaayyyyyy citadeell bayyyyy
Leora Fleebish is every bad part of me stuffed into a 32x32 sprite.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #507073

Who will moderate it, who will write the specific rules? Just roleplay LOL wont work
[this space reserved]
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #507081

Not currently supported in tg code. It's an arcade game with little quality-of-life mechanics.
Policy and admins are however a small, easily done part of the whole concept and I don't think an obstacle of any sort. The lack of support mechanically will be the greatest issue imo.
Whoneedspacee
Byond Username: Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #507091

make an rp server so admins stop trying to make general tg roleplay heavy
retired ss13 coderman
Jimmius
Byond Username: Jimmius

Post by Jimmius » #507096

which admins are those
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #507098

Whoneedspacee wrote:make an rp server so admins stop trying to make general tg roleplay heavy
*coders
[this space reserved]
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #507116

Jimmius wrote:which admins are those
s*bil
Jimmius
Byond Username: Jimmius

Post by Jimmius » #507117

i didn't know there's an admin called sybil
Whoneedspacee
Byond Username: Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #507122

nervere at least wants to do that to my mind.
retired ss13 coderman
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #507123

Would basically require a second admin team, and that was already a huge headache (and still is imo) with TGMC
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
tinodrima7020
Byond Username: TinoDrima7020

Post by tinodrima7020 » #507303

Why would we have a dedicated RP server for a server and playerbase that resonates LRP/NoRP?
If you see this image please show Subject217 some love. He's in a dark place right now :(
Spoiler:
Fikou wrote:
The problem is that the autistic fucking admins on these SS13 servers, so drunk with power, so intoxicated on the scent of their sweaty ballsacks as they drown in 'decision making' and 'responsibility', things they've never had before, hand out permabans for next to nothing. Why not a 3 month ban? Why not a 6 month ban? No. A fucking perma ban. Nevermind that people change, nevermind that people have shitty days or good days, nevermind that FOREVER IS A FUCKING LONG TIME, no... Permabans. And then they expect you to appeal on the forums so they can have MORE POWER, MORE DECISION MAKING. "HOO HOO, LOOKIT ME MOMMY, I GET TO DECIDE THE FATE OF THIS MAN HOOOO HOOOOOO WOWEEE SO EXCITE, MY LITTLE WINKY WILLY IS GETTING CHUB-CHUB, MOMMY." And let's be fucking absolutely real here, the only reason admins want people to sign up for the fucking forums to fucking ban appeal is so they can sell the members e-mails to, like, Chinese realtors or some shit.
ragevirus
Byond Username: Ragevirus

Post by ragevirus » #507831

There's no denying that most of the tg playerbase resonates no/low RP. But I think there is a significant portion of us who would prefer gameplay that was slightly higher on the RP spectrum and also kept the tg spirit of short arcadey rounds.

I'm curious to know which tg mechanics in particular you guys think are not amenable to RP. The main difference I can think of between us and the HRP servers is that they have stupid long rounds and you can respawn as crew after you die. Coincidentally those features are the reason I don't play HRP servers. I don't have time for 3 hour rounds and respawning is for pussies. I think it would be really cool to have a med/high RP server with shorter tg styled rounds. Some people might say that you can't have meaningful RP experiences with 1 hour rounds. But meaningful experiences are subjective, and how could you know if you haven't tried?

We have a spare server that is completely unused. Go look at the tg hub. I'll bet you a pair of insuls that sybil 2 is sitting at zero players right now. Why not just stick an RP SERVER label on there and see what happens? Maybe if enough players migrate over, people would be willing to admin there. Or who knows, it might not even require a huge admin presence if enough RP inclined people can keep things interesting themselves. Yeah, shitters are a thing and it might be a dud. But what do we have to lose by just trying?
John_Gobbel
Byond Username: CAPTTLasky

Post by John_Gobbel » #507840

Make the rules, UI, and extras for the HRP server and it is 90% more likely to at least be tried.

Sit in a forum thread and talk about whether or not it should happen and it never will.
OhChildflayer
Byond Username: OhChildflayer

Post by OhChildflayer » #507841

I'd give it a try. Not sure if I'd like it, but I'd play just to see how it goes.
Chynya
Byond Username: GhostAvenger

Post by Chynya » #507891

I am not against RP, infact I would love more RP. But I am against poorly thought out RP hosted by admin that railroads all RP to his liking.
If you don't have a back up plan when players don't act the certain way, don't try to fix it by railroading some BS to fix it. It is cringey and really turns people off from RPing in the future.
TG
Killian Kye

TGMC
Synth: Seraph
Beno: The Monarch
TGMC Pleb: Krieg Fauser
TGMC Command: Major Jameson Kane