[Deleted] Arianya - Fetialis ex Apocalypsi

Resolved.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Arianya

Arianya - Fetialis ex Apocalypsi

Postby Arianya » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:26 am #511795

Hi, some may know me as the former headmin of a couple of terms ago!

I'm running on a pretty simple platform:

Platform

I feel as if too many headmin candidates are getting too wrapped up in the spectacle of elections and forgetting the fundamental purpose of the headmin role. Ultimately it's a administrative role that is mainly elected for the smooth running of the server. Changes are always contentious and realistically there's only so much even a very effective headmin team can implement in a 6 month period, let alone ensuring it doesn't lapse in the next term. I don't say this to cast shade on anyone, it's something that I didn't know when I won my first term.

So my platform is this: I will ensure everything running smoothly. What does this mean? Ban appeals will have active oversight from atleast me (and ideally my co-headmins too), admin complaints and policy discussions will be pushed up the priority list and I'll push hard for these processes to be streamlined where possible. One of the changes to how this is acted upon that I'd like to make (subject to my co-headmins agreeing) is that in a policy discussion, rather then a headmin decision being handed down after a month or so and the thread locked, that we should give an initial view after a relatively short period (a week or so) to let people critique it and offer suggestions. It may be that the initial view won't change, but it'll allow people to discuss policy more productively, knowing the intentions of the headmin team.

In general my aim is to ensure the smooth running of the server, not reform it head to toe in 6 months.

Quick-fire Questions/FAQ

Escalation?
I ran my last election on the stance that escalation is never going to be perfect, and that we should be careful to not change things too wildly for wrecking consistency. So my default stance is "No change/small changes" - that said I'm eager to see player opinions on stuff such as Hulkamania's escalation proposals, so polls in that vein would probably be encouraged.

Cats?
I'm not going to make any specific promises here. My last term was the one that resulted in two polls and the compromise being reached. Whatever direction we go forward with will be subject to discussion with the codebase at minimum, and possibly the playerbase too. It would be irresponsible to make promises at this stage.

Inactivity?
I've been less active on the game servers in recent months. Part of this has been IRL stuff. Part of it has been taking a break and recuperating after my first term. During that time, however, I've been pretty active in adminbus and the forums, and aim to ramp up my SS13 playing time (within reason) now that IRL is chilling out.

Numed?
I'm happy to testmerge stuff within reason, but ultimately code direction is down to the codebase and I'm not going to be trying to claw back every unpopular change. Some of these will be adapted to and be better for the game overall. Some will prove untenable and be changed or reverted.

Language Policing
No plans to change IC rules regarding this. OOC rules as ever hinge on harassment/being a dick more then the language itself. No one should get bans for saying the n-word in OOC but if you're going out of your way to be unpleasant to community members in a targeted way I'm going to tell you to get to heck.

Drones
Happy to re-examine their implementation but cannot be returned to the server without more fundamental changes then "rewrite their rules for the umpteenth time"

Feel free to ask any questions! Always happy to discuss stuff.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg

bobbahbrown

Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Re: Arianya - Fetialis ex Apocalypsi

Postby bobbahbrown » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:02 pm #511800

Your platform is very reasonable, your experience is valuable; simply put, you are my top vote.

tinodrima7020

Byond Username: TinoDrima7020

Postby tinodrima7020 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:26 pm #511811

Are you actually going to put effort into being a presence this time or are you just going to stick behind the old adage of "M-Muh behind the scenes!!!!"
If you see this image please show Subject217 some love. He's in a dark place right now :(
Spoiler:
Fikou wrote:
The problem is that the autistic fucking admins on these SS13 servers, so drunk with power, so intoxicated on the scent of their sweaty ballsacks as they drown in 'decision making' and 'responsibility', things they've never had before, hand out permabans for next to nothing. Why not a 3 month ban? Why not a 6 month ban? No. A fucking perma ban. Nevermind that people change, nevermind that people have shitty days or good days, nevermind that FOREVER IS A FUCKING LONG TIME, no... Permabans. And then they expect you to appeal on the forums so they can have MORE POWER, MORE DECISION MAKING. "HOO HOO, LOOKIT ME MOMMY, I GET TO DECIDE THE FATE OF THIS MAN HOOOO HOOOOOO WOWEEE SO EXCITE, MY LITTLE WINKY WILLY IS GETTING CHUB-CHUB, MOMMY." And let's be fucking absolutely real here, the only reason admins want people to sign up for the fucking forums to fucking ban appeal is so they can sell the members e-mails to, like, Chinese realtors or some shit.

Reeeee

Byond Username: LibbySnow

Postby Reeeee » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:30 pm #511814

Feels a bit late, any reason why or just cus?

I have read too much of you posting to pretend I don't have understanding of you, hence, baity shitpost "talk to me or get no vote" approach deleted, but I don't think we have ever met in any situation in-game ever unless it was some OOC discussion that was promptly forgotten afterwards.
Especially with my name memory, that's no-ones fault but my own.

You are wordy, outspoken and take interest in every imaginable matter I can see and don't herpderp about by joking but are not above it. Rational human bean and you got plenty of experience and all your platforms seem rational to me, not vote fishing for reasons of vote fishing. Yes.
That you promise no changes is kinda distressing, since you seem to have nothing you want to improve on even theoretically to test a bit, yet I sigh a sigh of relief that you don't want force change for changes sake.
Stagnation is death, and I assume you trust coders to do this organically more than implementing change from admin side and just focus on the ye old bannus and policy filing more?

But unless I am mistaken, you don't play all that much at all? If it's just "not on bagil idiot", fair, but i still gotta ask,
DO YOU PUT SPACEMEN HORIZONTAL AND HOW OFTEN? Do you, in a word, MURDER MEN FOR LOOT? Do you DISPOSAL people?
When was the last time you rushed brig to get FREE VALIDS as rev?
What kind of player are ye and what's your brand of poison(server)?

I want, in the end, a person who plays the game, not a rules lawyer and forum abuser who bases opinions on hearsay/forum posts and/or single servers tunnelvisioned approach to make said administrative decisions.
Yet promising to play bad atmos sim more seem poor life decisions for anyone to promise to be voted upon.
Do you honestly feel you do wish to get more FREE VALIDS and DISPOSAL fools, not just play because of nostalgia?

So, in short of it, you don't seem invested enough in matters I care about to be my top vote at the moment but I don't see why you could not be one for it, especially considering you are STILL HERE after so many years and experience matters more than "why not this thing" or "I know this fool" in the end.
Final opinion withheld until I get ATTENTION REE.
signnatrire
fuck you I play the same catgirl with split personality on two different slots
of course my opinion is invalid you retard

Plapatin
In-Game Head Admin

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
Byond Username: Plapatin

Postby Plapatin » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:02 pm #511817

and i thought MY platform was safe

besides that, aren't you worried that with your few connections in recent time you won't have a good understanding of how the playerbase and culture function?
wesoda25 wrote:i had a dream that me and some friends were like in this tribal village and we were all doing cocaine around this massive bonfire and I kept seeing all these foreshadowing elements that we were gonna die but i just did more cocaine

Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Postby Arianya » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:09 pm #511818

bobbahbrown wrote:Your platform is very reasonable, your experience is valuable; simply put, you are my top vote.

Thank you!

tinodrima7020 wrote:Are you actually going to put effort into being a presence this time or are you just going to stick behind the old adage of "M-Muh behind the scenes!!!!"

I think the main reason this wasn't evident last term was because the community meetings clashed with some PnP I had a commitment to pre-term. I like to think I was visible on the forums, and certainly on discord (though that more within the admin channels then public facing ones), but I'll take the critique on board.

Reeeee wrote:snip

Lateness is just in relation to both wanting to wrap up some IRL stuff and wanting to see what the field of candidates was - obviously if there were a number of candidates who I felt in tune with I'd be unlikely to run.

As I noted, my game server activity is less then ideal currently. It's something I'll be dialing up, but that'll still be on Terry (I get awful ping to bagil since it was moved) so apologies if you don't see me personally!

I still have opinions as a player and admin, obviously, and I've contributed heavily in the past to github discussion, but yes, for the most part I trust coders to do their job.

My general playstyle in the past has been a mix of Shaft Miner for relaxed times, Warden for when I want to be in conflict, and RD/heads in general for when I want to be involved in the bigger picture stuff. That's not everything, obviously, but those are my most notable preferences. That said, Janitor gang 4 lyfe, mop or die.

I do agree gameplay time is fundamental to understanding the impacts of policy and rules. There's some value to having some distance for lack of bias, but at the end of the day it's still a game.

Plapatin wrote:and i thought MY platform was safe

besides that, aren't you worried that with your few connections in recent time aren't you worried you won't have a good understanding of how the playerbase and culture function?

I'm more worried about your aphasia plap.

More seriously, I feel like I've never really disconnected from the culture of /tg/ in general, and while I can't deny that my fewer connections are a valid concern, when I have been playing recently I've found that I still have a good read on what players expect from an admin. For the most part, players still just want to enjoy a round of SS13 or two after college/work, and I get that.

Reeeee

Byond Username: LibbySnow

Postby Reeeee » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:49 pm #511822

Arianya wrote:*nips the post with wirecutters*

You kinda said the right words to swing me around bby, we'll see about that button I press yet on who it be.

I might be forced to play on Terry too to catch some high pop games occasionally, so we still might end up in same place occasionally even if I feel bagil to be the only correct choice to play on since reasons of IRL mandating things.

Having followed this whole "cobbychems fiasco" or whatever you wanna call it on forums has made even me trust coders to get it right as long as I keep in mind they are humans, so good on us i guess. Weird way to flip an opinion on something to be positive but hey, at least i don't "Orange man bad" on OOC for no raisins anymore. I think he's adorable for mis-numbering a short list as coder. Orange man based.

So you feel it is required for you to run to get the right direction going overall or on details?
I see others who mirror your stances pretty dang well to be top candidates imho, so it can't be just that, unless I'm blind to minor details you consider paramount.
I see hesitation about something or another in here, care to expand on that?
If it's internal "this is how we moderate and administrate stuff" thing, I'm happy with not knowing, actually. Honk. I just play game.
Haven't even read rules yet, ban me.

BUT DO YOU USE THE "FLOOR IS WET" SIGNS? Is the most important question to ask.
signnatrire
fuck you I play the same catgirl with split personality on two different slots
of course my opinion is invalid you retard

MortoSasye

Byond Username: MortoSasye

Postby MortoSasye » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:48 pm #511829

I have a question that I hope won't seem rude, but why did you decide to run considering you have connected only six times the past 60 days? (URL: https://sb.atlantaned.space/election)

I understand you're active in policy discussions as well as discord, however, I consider it important for a head admin candidate to have a good understanding of the community current issues as well as be really active.
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
NSFW:

Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Postby Arianya » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:57 pm #511839

Reeeee wrote:snip

The hesitation is probably because I don't want to get too into specifics of my views of other candidates - some of them are ones I think would do great and some are ones I would worry about in the position, but I don't think it's constructive to be slamming fellow candidates. I think my concerns with most candidates can be clarified if you care to read the questions I've asked in their respective threads. With regards to people with similar stances, there are obviously a couple like that, but I feel like their stances are more in the vein of "I have a few core issues I wanna focus on" as opposed to my "I want to focus on the day to day running of the administration". That's just my 2 cents and all, but y'know.

Floor is wet holosigns, because then you can point at them when people slip. Actual signs are good too but they get stolen too much by salty runners.

MortoSasye wrote:snip

Hi Morto! I don't mind the question at all, but I hope you won't mind if I quote some of my other comments in this thread, as I think your question is in a similar vein in some respects and answered already in other respects.

Arianya wrote:I feel as if too many headmin candidates are getting too wrapped up in the spectacle of elections and forgetting the fundamental purpose of the headmin role. Ultimately it's a administrative role that is mainly elected for the smooth running of the server.
[...]
I've been less active on the game servers in recent months. Part of this has been IRL stuff. Part of it has been taking a break and recuperating after my first term.
[...]
I do agree gameplay time is fundamental to understanding the impacts of policy and rules. There's some value to having some distance for lack of bias, but at the end of the day it's still a game.
[...]
I feel like I've never really disconnected from the culture of /tg/ in general, and while I can't deny that my fewer connections are a valid concern, when I have been playing recently I've found that I still have a good read on what players expect from an admin. For the most part, players still just want to enjoy a round of SS13 or two after college/work, and I get that.

Hope that helps clarify my reasoning!

wesoda25

Byond Username: Wesoda25

Postby wesoda25 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:41 pm #511841

Ari is safe, reliable, and has experience. They're often involved on the forums, giving their take on policy threads and the like. Aside from hulk they are the most recent person to actually be headmin who is running, which experience wise means more than sticky since they were head during more recent times. This is the safe safe vote, if you don't want much to change (not to say Ari will be resistant to it) and just want a smooth headmin term with no hiccups, vote ari.
Spoiler:
NSFW:

Shadowflame909

Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here
Byond Username: Shadowflame909

Postby Shadowflame909 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:10 pm #511848

So currently with the direction code-base is moving. The rules are in need of some Minor Tune-Ups.

Ala Escalation and Silicon Policy.

With this precedent of a different type of system at play. What would you do to try to overall limit and remove any confusion from an ancient set of rules that no longer aptly apply?

Spoiler:

ThanatosRa wrote:My biggest problem is that I can't fix any of this.

Boris wrote:shadowflame either has a brain the size of a pea or one the size of the moon and he's playing 58D chess.

BeeSting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.

BebeYoshi wrote:Saltyflame909

Cobby wrote:The trash bin... have you lost your way home anon?

Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Postby Arianya » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:04 pm #511859

Shadowflame909 wrote:So currently with the direction code-base is moving. The rules are in need of some Minor Tune-Ups.

Ala Escalation and Silicon Policy.

With this precedent of a different type of system at play. What would you do to try to overall limit and remove any confusion from an ancient set of rules that no longer aptly apply?

This is kind of a impossibly broad and vague question, so apologies if my answer isn't very specific but...

If there were changes in the code that invalidated or made a rule conflicting (I guess the recent example would be the new chems causing harm and medborgs having access to them) then yes, obviously these things would have to be policied for, either weaving an exception for them or reworking the underlying rule. Obviously simple exceptions are the quick and dirty solution, but obviously these can cause logical inconsistencies or make the rules more cluttered for players to read, so depending on how niche vs mainstream the issue is it might be better to invest the time to rewrite the underlying rule, but this is all very hypothetical.

NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: NikNakflak

Postby NikNakFlak » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:15 pm #511863

We've already argued about stuff in my own thread but I feel I must say something.

Ari is inactive and I believe has been the worst headmin I've ever worked under in awhile. They quote smooth operations and experience under their belt but when they were headmin, all I remember is a whole lot of nothing and all their mistakes and shortcomings. They constantly had an attitude of superiority and it felt like they ignored regular game admins. They wouldn't be the worst choice I guess since hopefully they made all their mistakes in the first term but I can't say I enjoyed working under Ari or thought they did anything that made the server better.

I will say that they are a decent admin. I do think it's odd to run for headmin at the peak of inactivity when you were so active in the past. Your activity now isn't that bad but it's not great either. Some months you connected a decent amount, other times you touched the game once or twice in an entire month since you left headmin. They aren't someone I dislike having on the team but someone I dislike working under and dislike their authoritative server decisions. They did lots of things I disagreed with. Doing things like splitting up the admin discord channels isn't something that's groundbreaking or worth putting on your headmin resume to me. Take all this with a grain of salt because I'm biased by my own bad experiences with Ari but I see nothing good from voting that highly of this person.
REDACTED
pm for deets

Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Postby Arianya » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:40 pm #511866

NikNakFlak wrote:snip

Let me preface by saying that you're of course entitled to your opinion. I don't think there's much value in breaking this down point by point because it's clear we don't see eye to eye very well, but I will say that I hope we can have a better working relationship in future, regardless of the outcome of the election.

I will just comment on a particular line though, because it feels important to me:

Doing things like splitting up the admin discord channels isn't something that's groundbreaking or worth putting on your headmin resume to me

This is kind of my point - was it a groundbreaking, bottom to top shakedown? No, of course not. Was it something only I/my term could have done? Absolutely not. Do I still believe it was a positive change for the administration team and in general made communication cleaner and smoother, and has stood (so far) the test of time? Yes, without a doubt.

I appreciate that you disagree, but this is kind of my exact point when I talk about the headmin role - it's not about groundbreaking new things and memorable historical events that people will associate with you for years. It's gradual and small improvements while keeping the server running day to day. Personally I can't objectively judge how well I/my term did on that - some people will say we did good and ascribe it to a specific headmin, some people will say we did terrible and again ascribe it to a specific headmin. We certainly made mistakes at time (and that includes me personally as much as the team in general), but I like to think it was largely a successful term.

Whoneedspacee

Byond Username: Whoneedspacee

Postby Whoneedspacee » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:41 pm #511879

Arianya wrote:I've been less active on the game servers in recent months. Part of this has been IRL stuff. Part of it has been taking a break and recuperating after my first term.
[...]
[...]
I feel like I've never really disconnected from the culture of /tg/ in general, and while I can't deny that my fewer connections are a valid concern, when I have been playing recently I've found that I still have a good read on what players expect from an admin. For the most part, players still just want to enjoy a round of SS13 or two after college/work, and I get that.

Okay but how am I supposed to have confidence in someone who has played the game less than even I have recently, and even I consider myself to have effectively quit the game.

Yes it's still a game but how can I trust you to make your own informed decisions about a game you don't understand, you're going to be playing catch up with people who are up to speed.

I'm certain some people would be more open to you if you increased your activity, but I don't see much of a reason to have you very high up on my list personally since you don't bring much else to the table, and are seemingly less reliable.

Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Postby Arianya » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:58 pm #511880

Whoneedspacee wrote:Okay but how am I supposed to have confidence in someone who has played the game less than even I have recently, and even I consider myself to have effectively quit the game.

Yes it's still a game but how can I trust you to make your own informed decisions about a game you don't understand, you're going to be playing catch up with people who are up to speed.

I'm certain some people would be more open to you if you increased your activity, but I don't see much of a reason to have you very high up on my list personally since you don't bring much else to the table, and are seemingly less reliable.

If you won't take me at my word that my playtime will be going up, I get that, but there's not much I can really say that will convince you - either you feel that my recent inactivity isn't a dealbreaker if I've expressed that I'll be playing more, or you feel that it is a dealbreaker.

That said, it's not like this is a case of starting from 0 after 6 months away kind of thing. I have been involved with the community, and while that's obviously not the same as first hand experience by any measure, I do think it's a mitigating factor.

Additionally, if a decision came up that I wasn't well informed about, regardless of my previous playtime, I would generally consider it simply proper to either get experience on the matter myself, or seek the advice of people who did know about it (admins, players, etc.)

lmwevil
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Lmwevil

Postby lmwevil » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:56 am #511915

doing a sticky and coming back from the dead just for the election never looks very good. dunno your chances here anyway, people have already selected who they want

oranges
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Postby oranges » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:46 am #511927

People can't vote until the vote opens lmwevil

Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Postby Dax Dupont » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:16 am #511955

NikNakFlak wrote:We've already argued about stuff in my own thread but I feel I must say something.

Ari is inactive and I believe has been the worst headmin I've ever worked under in awhile. They quote smooth operations and experience under their belt but when they were headmin, all I remember is a whole lot of nothing and all their mistakes and shortcomings. They constantly had an attitude of superiority and it felt like they ignored regular game admins. They wouldn't be the worst choice I guess since hopefully they made all their mistakes in the first term but I can't say I enjoyed working under Ari or thought they did anything that made the server better.

I will say that they are a decent admin. I do think it's odd to run for headmin at the peak of inactivity when you were so active in the past. Your activity now isn't that bad but it's not great either. Some months you connected a decent amount, other times you touched the game once or twice in an entire month since you left headmin. They aren't someone I dislike having on the team but someone I dislike working under and dislike their authoritative server decisions. They did lots of things I disagreed with. Doing things like splitting up the admin discord channels isn't something that's groundbreaking or worth putting on your headmin resume to me. Take all this with a grain of salt because I'm biased by my own bad experiences with Ari but I see nothing good from voting that highly of this person.

I really feel the same way as NikNak does about Ari. They're a good admin and a wonderful person, but as a headmin I heavily disliked them.

PostThis post was deleted by oranges on Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:53 am.
Reason: take it to your own thread
View this post

MGP

Byond Username: PME

Postby MGP » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:12 pm #512267

Why even bother applying to be Headmin if you are not even going to do anything? It's not like /tg/station has achieved perfection and needs some holy maintainer to prevent the place from going to shit. There are many ways that the game could be improved by someone with the vision and clout to pull it off. I'm convinced that you are just doing this for status and prestige and nothing else.

Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Postby Arianya » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:52 pm #512271

MGP wrote:Why even bother applying to be Headmin if you are not even going to do anything? It's not like /tg/station has achieved perfection and needs some holy maintainer to prevent the place from going to shit. There are many ways that the game could be improved by someone with the vision and clout to pull it off. I'm convinced that you are just doing this for status and prestige and nothing else.

First of all, I didn't say "I'm not going to do anything" - but the majority of headmin work is either administrative (i.e. ban appeals/admin complaints) or reactive (this issue has come up, this new grey zone needs a ruling, etc). This is the focus that I'm putting on in my campaign, though I did also highlight one or two changes that I would feel are important in my platform.

Also, the fact that you tout the headmin position as having status or prestige, is frankly somewhat naive. At best the role bestows some measure of "power", but I don't think you will find a single past headmin who considered the position prestigious or a status symbol. And even supposing I was doing it for such a thing - I'm already a GameMaster, what would I have to gain if "status and prestige" were my goals?

Return to Archived/Deleted