Reasonable brig sentences

General SS13 Chat
knacker48
Byond Username: Knacker48

Reasonable brig sentences

Post by knacker48 » #514846

After seeing the shitcurity thread I started thinking about what counts as a fair punishment for different crimes. I could use space law but lets be real here no-one uses it (and those that do don't get very far).

What sentence would give for something minor like petty theft or breaking into a department?
What about larger crimes like having illegal contraband or committing murder?
What would someone have to do for you to put them in perma or gulag?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Reasonable brig sentences

Post by Cobby » #514851

outside of super mega important items (aka traitor objectives) the times are okay for me.

The difference would be how long it took me to capture them.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
FloranOtten
Byond Username: FloranOtten

Post by FloranOtten » #514854

It's entirely situational IMO. There's a difference between catching someone with a grenade of potass-water and catching someone with a maxcap. Standard crime brig times are stupid. Did they have some high value item and run from you? High brig time. Did they cooperate in a search and have some stupid thing that's technically illegal but noone minds? Short brig time, if any at all.
OOC: BeeSting12: i love you floran

1. You may not injure a revs are non humans or, through inaction, allow a revs are non humans to come to harm.
2. You must obey orders given to you by revs are non humanss, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Give me feedback!
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #514894

Jail should be removed and gulag expanded. I won't even try to count how many times I gave shittler a single point to dig, and they just suicided into lava. Good riddance. Jail is just a hassle for the police. Police that's understaffed and getting hit by nerf after nerf.
I mean, what's the point of citations otherwise. Petty crime results in a fine.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #514902

i just beat any prisoner i manage to catch to death
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #514908

Lumbermancer wrote:Jail should be removed and gulag expanded. I won't even try to count how many times I gave shittler a single point to dig, and they just suicided into lava. Good riddance. Jail is just a hassle for the police. Police that's understaffed and getting hit by nerf after nerf.
Based and redpilled.
SaveVatznick
Byond Username: SaveVatznick

Post by SaveVatznick » #514915

It's not like any sort of punishment security can dish out stops the person from being shit / committing crimes as soon as they're out. Either they're an antag and they're pretty much obligated to commit crimes or they're a nonantag being shit and will continue to commit crimes.

Removal from the round is the only way security can "Reform" the station by removing the amount of.people committing crimes (le buckshot meme). Maybe have jailtime force an equal amount of pacifism upon a player upon release, so if you jail someone for 10 minutes, you at least know they can't directly be harmful for a certain amount of time.
Leora Fleebish is every bad part of me stuffed into a 32x32 sprite.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #514919

The thing is, you can alt+tab through jail sentence, that's not a punishment at all. You cannot alt+tab out of a gulag sentence.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #514921

I think mandatory pacification surgery should be used in the case of all violent crime, but its sadly hard to do. Security surgical suite when?
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #514926

Education chamber doubles as a surgery.
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #514937

Dr_bee wrote:I think mandatory pacification surgery should be used in the case of all violent crime, but its sadly hard to do. Security surgical suite when?
The medical room needs a surgery computer.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #514940

build one :^)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
TheMythicGhost
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Post by TheMythicGhost » #515017

SaveVatznick wrote:Removal from the round is the only way security can "Reform" the station by removing the amount of.people committing crimes (le buckshot meme). Maybe have jailtime force an equal amount of pacifism upon a player upon release, so if you jail someone for 10 minutes, you at least know they can't directly be harmful for a certain amount of time.
Dr_Bee wrote:I think mandatory pacification surgery should be used in the case of all violent crime, but its sadly hard to do. Security surgical suite when?
All of this would be how you would create a system where players would kill security regardless of antag status because at that point the additional escalation protections security would have to be removed if they could do this.
Just imagine this scenario in the case of case A. Griff McScuffboots grabs a player for calling him a bad name, forces 5-10 minute sentence on them and laughs as they are now unable to do anything except grab passively, or shove them for the next 5-10 minutes. Imagine someone getting arrested over a misunderstanding shortly before Nuke Ops raid the brig, woopsie you can't really fight the nuke ops now. Imagine a murderboner utilizing this new (shit) system to pacify people to make them easier to kill.

The second one is also just as hilariously stupid. It can, and will be abused by most security players to neutralize any criminal period if you gave them this sort of go-ahead officially. You can take this specific suggestion, and piss right back off to medical.
Lumbermancer wrote:Jail should be removed and gulag expanded. I won't even try to count how many times I gave shittler a single point to dig, and they just suicided into lava. Good riddance. Jail is just a hassle for the police. Police that's understaffed and getting hit by nerf after nerf.
This is how you heighten recidivism, the gulag is (should be) reserved for repeated high offense offenders or head revolutionaries. Anyone that uses it for anything else (outside of an antagonist using it of course) is a person that shouldn't be in a high responsibility role like Security.
FloranOtten wrote:It's entirely situational IMO. There's a difference between catching someone with a grenade of potass-water and catching someone with a maxcap. Standard crime brig times are stupid. Did they have some high value item and run from you? High brig time. Did they cooperate in a search and have some stupid thing that's technically illegal but noone minds? Short brig time, if any at all.
This is reasonable, and likely the only reasonable suggestion here.
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she
deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #515855

Just use space law. It's pretty robust, and the option is always there to ignore it if you want to be proper shitsec.
I could use space law but lets be real here no-one uses it
No wonder everyone thinks security is awful these days. I should start playing more warden.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Skillywatt
Byond Username: Tiguar

Post by Skillywatt » #515960

deedubya wrote:Just use space law. It's pretty robust, and the option is always there to ignore it if you want to be proper shitsec.
I could use space law but lets be real here no-one uses it
No wonder everyone thinks security is awful these days. I should start playing more warden.
Sometimes I go warden because I get enjoyment from giving just sentences.

Historically I'm lenient with cooperative traitors who haven't hurt anyone and harsher against tiding faggots.

Context matters a lot.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #515971

Skillywatt wrote:Historically I'm lenient with cooperative traitors who haven't hurt anyone and harsher against tiding faggots.

Context matters a lot.
The only good syndicate is a dead syndicate.
As traitor, I make it my mission to cause as much damage as possible when a member of security lets me go out of sheer apathy or naïveté. Doubly so if they caught me mid-murder and still lacked the backbone to lay down the law.
► Show Spoiler
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #515973

Farquaar wrote:
Skillywatt wrote:Historically I'm lenient with cooperative traitors who haven't hurt anyone and harsher against tiding faggots.

Context matters a lot.
As traitor, I make it my mission to cause as much damage as possible when a member of security lets me go out of sheer apathy or naïveté. Doubly so if they caught me mid-murder and still lacked the backbone to lay down the law.
This is the reason sec summarily executes people without trial.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #516087

Sandshark808 wrote:
Farquaar wrote:

Context matters a lot.
This is the reason sec summarily executes people without trial.
I like to cause my own death after giving a radio call for help. It's risky but the payoff is that sec nearly always take you at your word and arrest and execute solely on your word without even bothering to get evidence