My first experiences as a HoS. AKA why being HoS sucks.

General SS13 Chat
FudgePucker

My first experiences as a HoS. AKA why being HoS sucks.

Post by FudgePucker » #55517

I first picked HoS because, well, there wasn't one and the station probably needed one.

Boy, I don't see how you can handle it.
First round was ling madness, I was DNA swapped, so I was a different identity. Got arrested by beepsky because someone set the identity that I was and 50% of the station was as well. I had to deal with two people accusing each other of being lings. I wanted to arrest them both, until we could find out more, so I ordered sec to just keep them in there. Unluckily for me, there was a lawyer being a hard ass so they both got off. So now there was a ling back out there. It didn't help that the admins were bored and screwed around with the round as well (shuttle was filled with skeletons.) so that was frustrating as well.

Second round there also wasn't a HoS, as if I hadn't learned my lesson the first time, I picked it again.
I stopped by science department to see what was going on and the robotist had broken into the RD's office. He had also made a false wall, so I had to ask him about it. Tried to contact the RD over headset and PDA, didn't respond, he walks into R&D and bites off his tongue. So I start striping him to give his stuff to the newly appointed standing RD, when a scientist runs off with some of his stuff, I chase her into telescience, and she attacks me with the RD's extended baton, I flashbang her, cuff her, and ask her what the fuck she was doing, she thought that I had killed the RD, I search her, she had the fucking handtele in her backpack. So I have to drag her down to the brig, with her screaming "shitcurity" the entire time.
Funny thing is that this nightmare was just starting.
Someone said over radio, "sec to medbay" so I said that I would go handle it. I get there, and one of the doctors said that the chemist was poisoning people. Walk into chem and flash stunprod handcuff him. (because in the last round I have learned that if you do not handcuff them and carry them, THEY WILL RUN.) He was also crying about "shitcurity", there were people in lobby dieing from his pills, so I take one of his pills (labeled "magic healing pills"), put it in a glass of water the doctor brought me, GUESS WHAT WAS IN IT? 50 fucking units of Chloral Hydrate. 20 more than lethal dosage. His response, "hurr durr my pills aren't toxic, shitcurity shitcurity." So I empty his pockets, more pills. put them in water I poured from the despr. to make sure the doctor was framing him, MORE CHLORAL HYDRATE. Drag his ass to brig, with more cries of "shitcurity". Get him into a cell, strip him, search his backpack, syringes, and a syringe gun. Tell my department and that fucking lawyer, to not let him out until I check to see what is inside of the syringes. On my way out I can hear his sob story about how he "din do nuthin wrong". Guess what was in the syringes? Your first guess might be Chloral Hydrate. You would be half right. ONE OF THE OTHER ONES WAS FILLED WITH 15 UNITS OF PLASMA. Yea, pure plasma. Having Chloral Hydrate for a syringe gun makes sense for it to act like a self defense tool for medbay, but plasma? So here is what I put down his crimes as, Carrying a lethal weapon, and False healing pills filled with lethal doses of toxins. Thank god that the shuttle was called, because I was about to harm baton to death the next assistant who gave me shit.

So things I have learned in those two rounds.
Assistants are subhuman scum who should be valid for all things done to them. They are almost all shitters because non-shitters would get a job.
Anybody that says "shitcurity" IC, is guilty as hell and you were right to arrest them.
Never play security, it is a special kind of hell, only AI players have a harder time. The captain can give clown all access and dick around all round, but if you are HoS you have to lick the boot of every assistant otherwise you will be BWANKD by a admin.

I do not see how you can handle being the HoS. At least you get a cool outfit.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: My first experiences as a HoS. AKA why being HoS sucks.

Post by Steelpoint » #55522

It takes a determined person to play as a Security Officer let alone the Head of Security. I would write more but my phone disagrees.

Don't take shit from anyone, so long as your not tossing random people out an airlock admins will generally give you some leeway in dealing with the usual idiots.
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #55529

I like being HoS, I just don't like the responsibilities it comes with. Oh ho the conflicting irony. There's only 2 things you need to have when playing HoS or security in general, follow these two things and you'll be top flight security of the world.
1. Have priorities
2. Remember when you feel like being an ass, your job can reflect how much "fun¡" the other person has. It may be a game but remember to think of the other player when possible. Captured traitor before he/she can even do anything? Exile implant the bastard, give him a space suit and tools and mass driver him; let him dick around on Derelict or DJ station.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #55546

srifenbyxp wrote:I like being HoS, I just don't like the responsibilities it comes with. Oh ho the conflicting irony. There's only 2 things you need to have when playing HoS or security in general, follow these two things and you'll be top flight security of the world.
1. Have priorities
2. Remember when you feel like being an ass, your job can reflect how much "fun¡" the other person has. It may be a game but remember to think of the other player when possible. Captured traitor before he/she can even do anything? Exile implant the bastard, give him a space suit and tools and mass driver him; let him dick around on Derelict or DJ station.
Exile implants don't prevent people from boarding shuttles or pods, do they?
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #55553

I have an easier and generally better experience playing AI on this server than I do HoS. Something must be wrong with me.

Yeah, HoS usually sucks, especially on high pop rounds with lots of tator tots. Although on "mid pop" rounds with lots of competent, experienced sec officers, detective, and warden who actually bother to communicate with everyone it can sometimes be enjoyable.

My biggest tip when playing warden, captain, or HoS is to force security to communicate with you and each other. Security has to answer to captain and HoS and when the HoS or captain arent there, the warden has the final say on all things that happen in the brig. As long as you're attentive and confident in what you are doing most sec players will follow your lead and that will make for some decent sec rounds if you know what you're doing.

Play as the warden for a while and then when you feel comfortable with that, go back to HoS.
/vg/station Head Admin
TZK13
Byond Username: Thurgatar

Post by TZK13 » #55557

paprika wrote:Exile implants don't prevent people from boarding shuttles or pods, do they?
It would be really nice if exile implants made it so that the person implanted can't get back to the station z-level once they leave it. Give security a very limited amount so they don't abuse the shit out of them and then security can just shoot confirmed antags into space to live out their days while still leaving the possibility of them surgically removing it.
MedicInDisquise

Post by MedicInDisquise » #55563

TZK13 wrote:
paprika wrote:Exile implants don't prevent people from boarding shuttles or pods, do they?
It would be really nice if exile implants made it so that the person implanted can't get back to the station z-level once they leave it. Give security a very limited amount so they don't abuse the shit out of them and then security can just shoot confirmed antags into space to live out their days while still leaving the possibility of them surgically removing it.

Still won't tickle an average security officer's fancy like a permabrig or execution, sadly.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #55566

When it comes to dealing with a perp you get two reliable options. The perma brig or letting them go on the spot (after confiscating any unauthorised items).

In 99% of all cases I've dealt with, its very clear cut and as a Head of Security you can easily push for a permanent sentence, meaning you get the luxury of selecting one of the two sentences. Perma is good as its a quick and reliable way of getting rid of someone (barring them being a changeling), it's also a great future deterrent if you show them that you mean business. Letting them go however is also a good way to ingratiate yourself with people and prevent them trying to escalate.

Generally, any traitor or someone who committed a high level crime (round start "RUSH THE CAPS ID" for example) is good for perma, anyone else you can just warn them and let them go. If someone keeps coming back for more after you release them then go for a perma sentance.

I only ever use the timed cells for when I am being swamped with too many things and I need to get someone out of the way until I can focus my attention on them. Generally however if I throw someone in a timed cell I'll be more lenient on them when I do get back around to them.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #55571

It's important to remember that, as the HoS, you are not supposed to be the one making arrests. You might be the most heavily armed entity on the station, but that only makes you a more attractive target. Send your redshirts in to apprehend perps for you and don't investigate matters without at least one other member of Security there.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #55572

My philosophy is be nice to antags and be Hitler to nonantag shutters. An antag is just doing their job so as long as you disarm and keep an eye on them you should be fine. A greytiders will always greytiders no matter what.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Somejerk
Byond Username: Somejerk

Post by Somejerk » #55574

"screaming shitcurity"

Ha. Try playing a secborg some time and you'll hear nothing but LAW 2 LAW 2 LAW 2 LAW 2 LAW 2.

Of course they never have a law 2 request, sometimes I feel like just continuously stating my second law.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #55590

FudgePucker wrote:
Second round there also wasn't a HoS, as if I hadn't learned my lesson the first time, I picked it again.
I stopped by science department to see what was going on and the robotist had broken into the RD's office. He had also made a false wall, so I had to ask him about it. Tried to contact the RD over headset and PDA, didn't respond, he walks into R&D and bites off his tongue. So I start striping him to give his stuff to the newly appointed standing RD, when a scientist runs off with some of his stuff, I chase her into telescience, and she attacks me with the RD's extended baton, I flashbang her, cuff her, and ask her what the fuck she was doing, she thought that I had killed the RD, I search her, she had the fucking handtele in her backpack. So I have to drag her down to the brig, with her screaming "shitcurity" the entire time.
Funny thing is that this nightmare was just starting.
Oh god i was the RD that round after I suicided I thought it was rev after seeing the scientist go apeshit on you
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Antonkr
Byond Username: Antonkr

Post by Antonkr » #55596

Being an HoS is a very very fine line and it takes a special robust person to do it right. I played it mostly on 40 pop badger servers but here is what I learned.

You have a very huge balancing act to play, with the simple end goal of the station not hating you, but also being intimidated by your presense. Best way to deal with people being obviously shit is simply to make them feel guilty about it instead of insta taze hunt that youd expect. Ask them "Really, are you going to break the window into hydro without simply asking someone to open the door? Is it that hard?" If they respond positively to it, and apologize, let them off with a warning.
The important part here is that if they go off running to catch them. This is where your intimidation part comes from. Your cool black jacket isnt as important as being able to draw a tazer and take someone down in least possible time. Acomplishing that take them to brig once again appeal to their ethos and throw them into brig. Mention how dissapointed you are with them.
If they seem to show reasonable remorse. Let them go.

Other few tips.

Dont arrest people for victimless crime. If this was extended on Bay maybe, but you have more things to focus on then arresting someone for possession of ambrosia.

Prioritize your threats.
You arrest a chef for breaking into medbay some where in medbay. You hear a cry for help in the chapel. Let the goddamn chef go, and prioritize saving a dude over bringing the chef to brig first.

Treat your prisoners with respect
Avoid flashing them when not necessery. Escaping out of brig is difficult enough with a warden an AI and you being there. Bucklecuff them to search them, and unless they are highly dangerous, set the timer then let em out of cuffs.

Deal with "shitcurity" yelling prisoners harshly.
Take away their headset, and go to interogation with them. Ask them if they have any legitimate problems with security. Once again appeal to ethos. It fucking works. It really does.

Use interogation.
You are the HoS and spending time talking to a confirmed traitor just understanding his objective may get you both respect and obedience when he goes to perma, but perhaps some cool syndie gear.

Proper equipment
At least 3 cuffs, at least 2 flashes. Refill your two eguns frequently. Rest matters little.
No longer an admin by own free will. Feel free to add me on steam.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #55598

FudgePucker wrote:-snip-
Dude, you're just doing your job, relatively successfully even. What do you expect? People confessing their sins, coming to you with hands up and handcuffing themselves?
FudgePucker wrote:So things I have learned in those two rounds.
Assistants are subhuman scum who should be valid for all things done to them. They are almost all shitters because non-shitters would get a job.
Absolutely not true. Just today I picked assistant (because I wanted to test dirt tiles, ended up playing whole round anyway). Well, I was apparently the only one who discovered that RD subverted AI, at the time at least. Guess what, I failed to take him out, but at least three people didn't listen to my cries of RD being subverted, including security officers, and if they did, round wouldn't have had to end like it had. I'm not even talking about great personal assistants I had as HoP or captain.
FudgePucker wrote:Anybody that says "shitcurity" IC, is guilty as hell and you were right to arrest them.
Not only that, they get to spend more time in brig than otherwise would have.
FudgePucker wrote:Never play security, it is a special kind of hell, only AI players have a harder time. The captain can give clown all access and dick around all round, but if you are HoS you have to lick the boot of every assistant otherwise you will be BWANKD by a admin.
Security and command and AI are all best roles on the station. You know why? Because they offer more player interaction than any other job.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #55601

Remember that a large part of your role is not being a redshirt but making sure security runs as smoothly as possible. For instance:

- Technically it is the Warden's job to manage security records, however at least 50% of the time this will not happen. So do so. Actually set people to arrest, give reasons, if you don't know why someone is arrested ask over security radio and if no one can tell you, let them go.

- You have security cameras in the brig. USE THEM. Ideally you will see crime in progress before anyone ever yells "HELP". You can also use these to spy on borgs if you have reason to.

- You have remote access to Beepsky, which can come in handy.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #55634

Lo6a4evskiy wrote: Security and command and AI are all best roles on the station. You know why? Because they offer more player interaction than any other job.
Of course the downside to all that extra player interaction is usually the players with whom you interact.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #55642

Of course, but that's part of the fun as well. If I wanted purely sane characters who never break laws, I would play on bay (which I did in the past).
Vigilare

Post by Vigilare » #55647

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Of course, but that's part of the fun as well. If I wanted purely sane characters who never break laws, I would play on bay (which I did in the past).
> assistant breaks into Chemistry, makes thermite, thermites into Armory
> flashbang and cuff
> [Common] Tyde Gray {Asst}: "SHITCURTIY"
two minutes and one stripsearch later
> [Common] Tyde Gray {Asst}: "AI LAW TWO THEYRE HARMING ME"
Image Image Image
WeeYakk
Byond Username: Yakk

Post by WeeYakk » #55652

Protip: your sec light does 10 damage per hit. Beat the person nine times, each time in a different limb so they can't just fix it with one bruise pack then give them the max sentence if you can get away with it. It's easier to make people so angry that they have to play sec and experience firsthand how hellish it is than it is to be a good example.
Vigilare

Post by Vigilare » #55662

WeeYakk wrote:Protip: your sec light does 10 damage per hit. Beat the person nine times, each time in a different limb so they can't just fix it with one bruise pack then give them the max sentence if you can get away with it. It's easier to make people so angry that they have to play sec and experience firsthand how hellish it is than it is to be a good example.
> "AI HARM"
> AI closes brig shutters and bolts all of sec in
Image Image Image
rook

Post by rook » #55667

"there is no such thing as a bad job, only people that are bad at jobs" - me

HoS can be mad GNARLY and crazy to boot but you just gotta sip on some BONG water and relax your eyelids and abide by the station.... my best hos rounds have been the ones where i only jail repeat offenders or guys that do something really dickish and won't say sorry without saying it in a nasty tone where you can tell that they're not sorry at all. but throwing people that are really mean dudes in perma can be good too :)
WeeYakk
Byond Username: Yakk

Post by WeeYakk » #55669

Vigilare wrote:
WeeYakk wrote:Protip: your sec light does 10 damage per hit. Beat the person nine times, each time in a different limb so they can't just fix it with one bruise pack then give them the max sentence if you can get away with it. It's easier to make people so angry that they have to play sec and experience firsthand how hellish it is than it is to be a good example.
> "AI HARM"
> AI closes brig shutters and bolts all of sec in
That's why you take off their jumpsuit and headset first you scrubber ducky.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #55670

Vigilare wrote:
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Of course, but that's part of the fun as well. If I wanted purely sane characters who never break laws, I would play on bay (which I did in the past).
> assistant breaks into Chemistry, makes thermite, thermites into Armory
> flashbang and cuff
> [Common] Tyde Gray {Asst}: "SHITCURTIY"
two minutes and one stripsearch later
> [Common] Tyde Gray {Asst}: "AI LAW TWO THEYRE HARMING ME"
a) Thermite doesn't burn through r-walls
b) Who the fuck cares about him screaming
c) Remove headset
d) Apply muzzle
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #55671

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:a) Thermite doesn't burn through r-walls
u wot
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #55691

Saegrimr wrote:
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:a) Thermite doesn't burn through r-walls
u wot
News to me.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #55693

tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #55694

This looks shopped. I can tell from some of the pixels...
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #55699

Thermite can burn through r-walls. You just require a considerably larger amount of it than it would take for regular walls.

Source: I designed it to work this way
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #55717

From all the times I've used it to get into the AI core, I think it's somewhere between or at 20-30 units per r-wall.

Really, besides drills, it is the QUICKEST way to fuck up an AI/armory.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #55789

Yeah, I've always used 30, or occasionally 20u, of thermite to burn through (r)walls. Rarely need it with normal walls.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #55813

Wait what, I thought thermite was nerfed at some point

I swear it was that way some time ago
Raven776 wrote:20-30 units per r-wall.
OOOOH, that's why
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #55823

Ikarrus got an e-blowjob by a silicon player at some point and nerfed thermite apparently

Really though it's one of the more poorly thought out changes because while thermite is easy to produce, changing the recipe to require plasma instead of nerfing how much you need to make would have solved the imbalance during malf rounds a lot better.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
bandit

Post by bandit » #55851

Honestly with the new sat location thermite isn't nearly as useful anymore. I guess if you want to break in through the back but I've never seen that done without a toolbox.

admin feedback pls
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #55869

Just play Captain instead, more responsibility but you can summarily execute pretty much anyone and nobody gives a shit as long as you clone them after and explain why they deserved it.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #55870

Stickymayhem wrote:My philosophy is be nice to antags and be Hitler to nonantag shutters. An antag is just doing their job so as long as you disarm and keep an eye on them you should be fine. A greytiders will always greytiders no matter what.
Pretty decent way to look at it. Tiders gona tide, so be heavy handed on them. Especially repeat offenders I escalate their sentence pretty quickly.

As far as playing HoS goes, its not an easy job by any mark, but can be entertaining.
The common mistake I see people make is trying to take on too much and having to be in many places at once, so delegate. Get your Warden to give out brig times/sentences and mainly let them run the brig. Let them know they can come to you if they have an issue. Any perma/executions/borgings should ALWAYS go through you though. Make sure the detective is on call after crimes have been committed and not just roaming as they're an sec officer with a pistol.
You're also the go to person for any command call security issue. I.e. someone attacking a head/captain or fucking with the AI.

Due to your robust armour etc you make a great patroller. However its worth sticking to the high risk areas, such as the bridge, engineering, tech store, medbay/bar area. Occasionally checking science and cargo, though your sec officers should be dealing with them for you.

You're a kind of commander, so move people to where they need to be given the situation. Got xenos? Ask the warden to give out armor and lasers to officers. Waiting for the shuttle? Get officers to secure escape. Got a ling/antag on the run? Get the HoP to give your officers maint access.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #55903

And if you have the time, and I cannot state this enough, get a 10u synaptazine, 5u antitoxin, 10u hyperzine 10u DD 10u coffee chem implant. One for yourself, one for the captain, one for each sec officer who wants to be unstunnable, uncryostingable, and able to leap back up and taser that ebow fucker like you got an adrenaline implant of your own.

Once the round gets going, getting XRAY-TK for your officers, detective especially, is a great thing.

Be polite to people. It makes the shitters angrier, and the people who aren't shit more co-operatives.

Snag a spacesuit and put it in the bridge at first convenience, controlling the spacesuits is good play

Work with R&D. Don't just give them the braindead warden's ID, or the greytide will be packing magboots and X-Ray rifles, but go down and unlock their shit for them. Most of all - take some of the shit they produce - stunguns, rifles, laser cannons, gygaxes - they're in the game for you. Don't let R&D keep the toys to themselves, but don't take them all away.

Don't forget toxins. If the RD can't tell you how many bombs have been produced and how many valves are left on the desk, smack him and go check yourself. Hardly anyone really BOMBUs right now but deadchat will still call you unrobust when it turns out they swapped half their TCs for raised bombcap and the rest for floor satchels, and the station vanished.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #55906

You know what's the biggest disappointment in playing as a head of security.

You learn to stop trusting people, its a unfortunate side affect of being a dedicated security player but you just start to learn these things. I can safely say that a good majority of my deaths have been because I trusted someone and they turn around and kill me when my guard is down, wanting to show me something cool, found a body, wanting to say hi, waving, etc. Its actually interesting as now I know very easily if someone is or is not a antagonist just by their movement or behaviour let alone their words or actions.

So I can see why some of the more infamous security players become reviled, simply because they lost all sense of trust and never trusted the crew, and used their robust knowledge to easily take down many a antagonist.

Its why I cringe whenever I read someone writing about how security should be more friendly, or more role play oriented. Because if you want security to do that, you have to get the antagonists to do that.

I like being a head of security, just be wary of when you start to view the crew as your enemy, and not as your colleagues.
dionysus24779
Byond Username: Dionysus24779

Post by dionysus24779 » #55907

I've played HoS for a very short while after I was thrown into that role by accident (random job assignment) and was praised for doing a good job.

I pretty much tried to do it "by the books", meaning holding myself to space law and try to be nice and reasonable. Though what really turned me away was that I was often asked to make decisions that could ruin someone's round without being presented with any information about the situation itself. Officers would bring in people and ask me to judge them, to decide what to do. I often didn't know who that person being brought in was, why s/he was arrested, if there's any reliable evidence, etc. I really hated it because I know that Security can make mistakes and get the wrong people.

Though if I were to give tips I could only really think of three (four?):

1. As with most jobs: Communicate, coordinate, organize. Good communication and coordination really is the A and O of good security. Questions like "Why is XYZ wanted?" should be very rare, suspicious data should be shared, positions should be announced when there's trouble, attacking from multiple angles wins.

2. This is more from a borg perspective: The AI is probably your most valueable and powerful ally since it can quickly track criminals, try to lock them down or have her own secborgs rolling around which can assist your effort. As hard as it may seem, try to keep your officers in check and not harm anyone to stay on the AI's good side. If the borgs and AI determine you're a harmful threat to other humans they could easily work against you by protecting criminals/keeping them out of your grasp, arresting your own officers and being unwilling to disclose the location of endangered people. And if this ever happens don't be an ass about it and threaten borgs with destruction for following their asimov laws (killing non-antag borgs/AI as sec for following their laws is against security policy), try to get back on the AI's good side instead.

3. Read the security policy! It should clear up some ambiguity and gives you an idea on what's okay and what could get you into bwoinky trouble.

(4. This isn't really a tip but more like something I liked to do as HoS/Captain with traitors... give them a second chance. After some time in perma you could approach them and offer them to be implanted and released so they can do something useful. If their job would allow them to be dangerous again then offer a jobchange with it. Though if they ever get into serious trouble again and try to continue their traitor antics you can perma them for good.)
Pybro
Byond Username: Pybro

Post by Pybro » #55946

Probably the most bizarre HoS round I've ever had happened a few days ago.

I latejoin, and the station is a mess. Right off the bat I catch a traitor and toss him in perma. The Mime is hanging around the brig being a LE LET EVERYONE OUT OF THE CELLS XD prick, the janitor is slipping people, and the usual shit.

Suddenly, the AI and several others start screaming about rogue borgs and Dante Smith (the roboticist) emagging them. I run over with muh riot shield, slip, and lose it to an assistant. No biggie. A secborg and I get in a firefight. Suddenly, I get electric armed and pulled into maint. Some chucklefucks save me and drag me out. Dante Smith wizzes by, having popped an adrenal implant. A mob gives chase, but is too fast. He zooms past us again, this time with a full space suit on. The other officers and I corner him in escape, and cuff him. Suddenly, an assistant runs up and shakes him up. He zooms off, but is cuffed. I can't remember if he juked around and ran out the escape airlock, or spaced himself via arrivals, but the point is he escaped to space.

Angry that we had him but let him slip away, I screamed several times at my officers a very kind and motivating command that sounded something like "COVER THE FUCKING PODS SO HE CAN'T ESCAPE!"...

...And that's when it happens...

One of the officers says "I'll cover engineering". And then the warden says "I can grab the secpod". Another officer quips that he can cover both arrivals pods. Two more officers offer to accompany me on the shuttle.

Dante ended up shocking himself to death trying to hack back into the station, but that's not the important thing. The important thing is that the HoS should give orders and commands.

A good HoS is not a lone wolf, he is the alpha male that leads the pack.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #56142

Steelpoint wrote:Its why I cringe whenever I read someone writing about how security should be more friendly, or more role play oriented. Because if you want security to do that, you have to get the antagonists to do that.
Being vigilant and careful != being an asshole though. You can be friendly, but not stupidly friendly. I get what you mean though, yeah, it happens, you get burned, but shit happens all the time.
Pybro wrote:One of the officers says "I'll cover engineering". And then the warden says "I can grab the secpod". Another officer quips that he can cover both arrivals pods. Two more officers offer to accompany me on the shuttle.
Oh yes. This is why heads are the best jobs, because of these situations, when you actually get to play with decent players. It's totally worth the shit you can get otherwise.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #56189

Communication is key to being a good HoS.

The problem is that a lot of time you're just talking to yourself, either because there's no one else playing security or because the other people are about as intelligent as the bulkhead.
Dont arrest people for victimless crime. If this was extended on Bay maybe, but you have more things to focus on then arresting someone for possession of ambrosia.
People always bring this up but you know what?
I've played innumerous rounds as HoS over the past 4 years. Do you know how many times I've seen someone get arrested solely for possession of drugs?
Once.

Even as a tacked on crime its still less than half a dozen.

Whenever anyone brings it up it always makes me question the validity of that person's argument, whether they actually know that they're talking about or if they're just blowing 'mah feels' out their arse.
Anyone thats played as just a sec officer for only a handful of rounds is going to know that arresting someone for a minor crime is a complete waste of time.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #56212

Personally I've found some success in splitting my Officers into two squads and making them patrol together.

One of the biggest challenges I face as the HoS comes to communication from my Officers. I simply cannot understand why a lot of Sec Officers either miss or ignore a order call in order, and don't get me started on those Officers that outright ignore you.
Pybro
Byond Username: Pybro

Post by Pybro » #56230

Steelpoint wrote:Personally I've found some success in splitting my Officers into two squads and making them patrol together.

One of the biggest challenges I face as the HoS comes to communication from my Officers. I simply cannot understand why a lot of Sec Officers either miss or ignore a order call in order, and don't get me started on those Officers that outright ignore you.
I wish the sec chat color was a darker red. It's easy to lose track of what is sec chat and what isn't in the sea of green. All other channels have an easily recognizable color, but the sec red just blends in unless you've got a huge block of it.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #56231

Pybro wrote: I wish the sec chat color was a darker red. It's easy to lose track of what is sec chat and what isn't in the sea of green. All other channels have an easily recognizable color, but the sec red just blends in unless you've got a huge block of it.
A interesting idea I have is that whenever someone communicates on the security channel, a unique radio chatter sound is played. Something like the Combine radio chatter or miscellaneous chatter you here in war games. It would instantly alert you to someone talking on the sec channel.
bandit

Post by bandit » #56232

Pybro wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:Personally I've found some success in splitting my Officers into two squads and making them patrol together.

I wish the sec chat color was a darker red. It's easy to lose track of what is sec chat and what isn't in the sea of green. All other channels have an easily recognizable color, but the sec red just blends in unless you've got a huge block of it.
...maybe if you're red-green colorblind, but otherwise it stands out fine

admin feedback pls
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #60099

The biggest challenge as HoS is keeping tabs on everything that's going on. If you're an officer, please USE THE GOD DAMN SECURITY RECORDS TO LIST CRIMES. Alert the HoS every time you bring somebody in. Be proactive as an officer, don't wait the the HoS to tell you to bring someone in to do it. Don't waste the HoS's time with trivial shit. Alert him personally if it's something perma-worthy. That's what the HoS is concerned with.