A good map for LowPop ? ( Less than 10 players )

General SS13 Chat
Couvax
Byond Username: Couvax

A good map for LowPop ? ( Less than 10 players )

Post by Couvax » #529748

I'm searching for a good small map for my french roleplay server, we are not so many and even Pubbystation is to big for us. Guys, do you have any suggestions ?
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Re: A good map for LowPop ? ( Less than 10 players )

Post by CPTANT » #529754

There have been some small maps like birdboat, ministation and OmegaStation, but they need to be updated if you want to play them.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #529764

I loved ministation so much cuz of the little asteroid field was a blast to make catwalks and gantries and mine em out
Couvax
Byond Username: Couvax

Post by Couvax » #529776

CPTANT wrote:There have been some small maps like birdboat, ministation and OmegaStation, but they need to be updated if you want to play them.
What do you mean by i've to update them ?
Jack7D1
Byond Username: Jack7D1

Post by Jack7D1 » #529791

Couvax wrote:
CPTANT wrote:There have been some small maps like birdboat, ministation and OmegaStation, but they need to be updated if you want to play them.
He means that those maps were made for older versions of tgstation. If you want to play them on this current version you will probably have to work on them. Also the smallest map I can think of is Runtime station. It's meant for debugging but has everything you should need. A bit silly but might be worth trying!
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #529798

Couvax wrote:
They are removed from the code and code updates sometimes break maps. But come to think of it, playing an older version of TGstation which still includes them would be far easier.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #529817

Couvax wrote:
When you open the map (.dmm) file in Dream Maker with the most recent code it'll show a list of objects on the map it can't find. Updates have either changed the objects' paths or removed them. So the map is looking for them in the wrong place or the object doesn't exist.

You'll need to replace the old paths or set them to blank before the map will display and the code will compile. Setting paths to blank deletes the objects from the map.

I usually open the /tg/station GitHub in a browser and use search to find the new paths.

The other thing that may need updating is any new features added since the map was last updated.

Speaking to the options CPTANT gave, MiniStation was made by Giacom with lowpop in mind and added in 2014. It was superceded by OmegaStation in 2016, which was superceded by PubbyStation in 2018. Birdboat was removed in 2017. I'm not sure which of these maps is best suited to a population of 10 or less, but of the depreciated maps OmegaStation would require the least updating.

See the top of this page for links to pages about each map. Based on the screenshots, MiniStation is smallest while Birdboat is biggest.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Post by Kryson » #529835

I love birdboat station. It is a little more treacherous than some other maps but great fun.
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #530841

Ministation was without a doubt the best map for anything below 20 players. It was also unique in that it had a condensed department structure as well. There was no thousand different sub-jobs, just shit like Doctor, Scientist, Security, etc. It was also the only chain of command that officially acknowledged the HoP as the second in command.

Dunno why the fuck it got removed/replaced. None of the maps since have been anywhere near as good for lowpop, or good in general.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #530888

deedubya wrote:It was also the only chain of command that officially acknowledged the HoP as the second in command.
OmegaStation did the same, renaming the role to "Lieutenant".

We don't have any lowpop maps anymore because our map rotation system doesn't switch away from them fast enough if server pop goes up. A round starts with too many people on the lowpop map, so everybody kills themselves in protest. This ruins the round and gives the lowpop map a bad reputation. Ultimately nobody wants to deal with maintaining these maps because of this reputation, so they're removed.

You can find all the deleted maps in the Git history if you want to put in the effort to bring them up to spec, or make your own map (what my group did for lowpop).
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #530911

SpaceManiac wrote:
deedubya wrote:It was also the only chain of command that officially acknowledged the HoP as the second in command.
OmegaStation did the same, renaming the role to "Lieutenant".

We don't have any lowpop maps anymore because our map rotation system doesn't switch away from them fast enough if server pop goes up. A round starts with too many people on the lowpop map, so everybody kills themselves in protest. This ruins the round and gives the lowpop map a bad reputation. Ultimately nobody wants to deal with maintaining these maps because of this reputation, so they're removed.

You can find all the deleted maps in the Git history if you want to put in the effort to bring them up to spec, or make your own map (what my group did for lowpop).
Yeah, Lieutenant is the rank Mini used as well. I honestly don't remember playing on Omega(probably was in rotation while I was on one of my breaks) but I don't doubt it did the same if it followed a similar theme of condensed roles.

Also, it might be worth looking into having a dedicated lowpop station again. Mapvotes look like they're here to stay, and we have so many servers now that they can't all be high-med pop.(looking at you, Sybil-2) If a lowpop map made it in through normal rotation, the server could simply vote it off before the shuttle docks.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.