SS13 Remake Source

General SS13 Chat
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Re: SS13 Remake Source

Post by Ricotez » #60772

Bottom post of the previous page:

Well, one early decision that you will have to make is whether you'll keep human sprites static like they're now, or animate them. Currently, animating human sprites in /tg/station13 would be too much of an effort because you'd also have to animate every piece of clothing that already exists. But if you agree on animated sprites from the start in SS14, you will raise your workload but not run into this problem further down the line.

You'll have to settle for a general style for the game too. I made these little sprites a while ago:
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
But although the saturated colour palette and dark (not black) outlines might work, I don't really think these proportions are suitable for SS13/14.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #60778

Theres a 3D remake already in the works called Centrition, its going about as well as you'd expect a SS13 remake to be
Antimattercarp
Byond Username: Antimattercarp

Post by Antimattercarp » #60786

Wasn't they working on taking the sprites from existing 3D model rigs so they only have to make a texture instead of animate every little bit?
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #60804

Centration doesn't even qualify as a remake tbh, it doesn't really qualify as anything at all.

A 3d remake would work if it was on the same top-down 2d plane the game is on now. A full 3d remake wouldn't even be the same game at all.
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Prophoem

Post by Prophoem » #60920

Allready asked about graphics on there forum. Well see how it goes from here.

I sorta wish that Supernorn would have left the graphics in because now the allready small teams are all going to have to make there own art and it will take even longer to get a decent game out for people to play.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #60933

We should just use our current assets from /tg/ and baystation, and if people offer to remake them, let them
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #60975

Phalanx300 wrote:
Bombadil wrote:http://www.digg.com/r/Games/comments/ ... ce/cnustk6

Supernorn says why he didn't include the art assets he made in the source
They also said their art guy wanted to use them for other projects. Its a shame though.
HE IS THE ART GUY
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
DanielRatherman
Byond Username: DanRatherman

Post by DanielRatherman » #61005

In my opinion, the art of a remake should be 64x64 high-res remakes in the classical style of the current assets. retooled for more consistency and better quality/unified color schemes, perspectives, etc.

Something like this?
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #61038

that doesn't look half bad actually, where did you get that?
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
DanielRatherman

Post by DanielRatherman » #61046

my ass, I do some spritan
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #61050

I think #spaceart is always looking for more help if you want to pitch in.

I think they already decided to go for 64x64
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
DanielRatherman

Post by DanielRatherman » #61053

Where does one find that? I have the template for that guy and wouldn't mind putting out the base and a few simple outfits for a start.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #61054

irc://irc.rizon.net/spaceart
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Prophoem

Post by Prophoem » #61236

For anyone still courious we are using 3D that will look 2D there is a explanation for it on #Spacebus that Ikarrus pointed out.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #61237

Prophoem wrote:For anyone still courious we are using 3D that will look 2D there is a explanation for it on #Spacebus that Ikarrus pointed out.
3D models converted to 2D sprites right, or has this changed?
私は完璧
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #61238

Whatever the case is I look forward to seeing what becomes of this, I hope there is a good communications channel for updates and whatnot.
Prophoem

Post by Prophoem » #61247

Remie Richards wrote:
Prophoem wrote:For anyone still courious we are using 3D that will look 2D there is a explanation for it on #Spacebus that Ikarrus pointed out.
3D models converted to 2D sprites right, or has this changed?
Yep that is the correct term. Sorry for any confusion i may have caused.
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #61254

Steelpoint wrote:Whatever the case is I look forward to seeing what becomes of this, I hope there is a good communications channel for updates and whatnot.
Specific to SS14 we have: 2 IRC Channels, Forums, Phabricator and a Github.

All of these (perhaps besides Github) promote communication. The SS14 IRC #spacebus has had 80 people in it on one day, no idea about #spaceart
私は完璧
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #61312

callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #61451

Its going to end up being a bastardized SS13 lite with a couple of cool things but never have mules.

NEVER.

What happened to the remake that was actually going places?
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #61454

callanrockslol wrote:What happened to the remake that was actually going places?
Folded after they failed to meet their crowdfunding goals, IIRC.

This is the next best thing we have, especially now that it's open source.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #61477

> $40,000

well that explains that
Ikarrus wrote:This is the next best thing we have, especially now that it's open source.
What about the one we already have.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Prophoem

Post by Prophoem » #61634

callanrockslol wrote:Its going to end up being a bastardized SS13 lite with a couple of cool things but never have mules.

NEVER.

What happened to the remake that was actually going places?
Well it will take a while for the remake to get the level of content we have today, but it also took about a decade for classic SS13 to get to the level of content we have today. Even then it will be better with all the freedom making our own engine gives us allowing us to do all sorts of new stuff and do them better then BYOND could ever dream of doing it. And on top of that we will be able to do all this much faster then we would with BYOND as we aren't working around the limitations of the system that is BYOND.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #61647

FAT SPRITES
A
T

S
P
R
I
T
E
S
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Jalleo
Byond Username: Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #62123

callanrockslol wrote:> $40,000

well that explains that
Ikarrus wrote:This is the next best thing we have, especially now that it's open source.
What about the one we already have.
There is a lot of issues code end which would not exist if we can control the engine the game runs on. (I havent checked in a few days but I was helping to find 3D modelers before i took a bit of a short break. I believe Nienhaus is the art manager or was last I was on a lot of stuff is moving fast.
Prophoem

Post by Prophoem » #62144

Yeah it is going suprisingly fast actually we allready have new 3D models for placeholders and the graphics engine is being changed for a multi platform release. Also we have new sprites for all the tools and they look awesome. My favorite though is definatly the new multitool.
Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #62272

Prophoem wrote:Yeah it is going suprisingly fast actually we allready have new 3D models for placeholders and the graphics engine is being changed for a multi platform release. Also we have new sprites for all the tools and they look awesome. My favorite though is definatly the new multitool.
when everyone wants to work together they do
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #62274

Prophoem wrote:a multi platform release
If you can pull off a decent mobile client it would transform SS13.
Spoiler:
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #62276

considering the amount of cooperation that is happening, i'm beginning to suspect we're actually coding a rite to summon cthulu
Ricotez wrote:
Prophoem wrote:a multi platform release
If you can pull off a decent mobile client it would transform SS13.
with even more shitlers :V

(i don't think a good mobile client is ever going to happen TBH, you can't tap precisely enough, and you sure as hell cant type fast enough)
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #62278

yeah mobile is not a good platform for a heavily text based game like ss13

but you can always try it, it's good UI design experience
Spoiler:
Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #62291

How about tablet instead I hear the only reason to have one at the moment is to put your cup on or using it as a paperweight.

(Or playing FTL)

The UI design for it would almost certainly fail for a mobile compared to a tablet.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #62292

One thing at a time.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #62308

So, where precisely can one find these sexy new sprites I heard about?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
DanielRatherman

Post by DanielRatherman » #62355

Well here's the tools and toolbox I submitted the other day.
Prophoem

Post by Prophoem » #62359

Oh woah i didn't know you finished the toolbox. Dang bro them sprites so sexy.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #62369

Yes, I find it easy to touch myself to this.

Damn pretty.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #62373

holy shit that looks amazing
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #62376

The future is now
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #62407

Spoiler:
DanielRatherman

Post by DanielRatherman » #67132

Second draft of some medical objects I took a shot at.
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #67320

I think we are all forgetting the most important questions:

1. When is Metastation going to be remapped for this?

2. Where is Ians sprite?

3. Will there be ERP verbs? (ERP animations?)

4. Is the clown going to be in 4k resolution? If no, why not?

5. Fat sprites when?
Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #67331

Loonikus wrote:I think we are all forgetting the most important questions:

1. When is Metastation going to be remapped for this? TBC

2. Where is Ians sprite? In the post beta pipeline

3. Will there be ERP verbs? (ERP animations?) probably not

4. Is the clown going to be in 4k resolution? If no, why not? Impossibru

5. Fat sprites when? We dont have sprites for humans its models then flattened to 2D
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #67334

Loonikus wrote:I think we are all forgetting the most important questions:

1. When is Metastation going to be remapped for this?

2. Where is Ians sprite?

3. Will there be ERP verbs? (ERP animations?)

4. Is the clown going to be in 4k resolution? If no, why not?

5. Fat sprites when?
1. Never, Worst map

2. No dog yet

3. No

4. technically with 3D models --> 2D sprites any resolution could be supported

5. Not unless we have a good way of scaling up normal animations/sprites.
私は完璧
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #67338

Remie Richards wrote: 1. Never, Worst map
such heresy, spouting such haram things about the glorious map, filthy infidel.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #67380

Once you have found a way of scaling up, does that mean we'll get lizards?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #67387

DemonFiren wrote:Once you have found a way of scaling up, does that mean we'll get lizards?
that's not even funny. get out.
私は完璧
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #67391

Pls borgs yes but no all seeing a-eye
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #67392

yes borgs yes AI is what I want.
私は完璧
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #67395

Remie Richards wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:Once you have found a way of scaling up, does that mean we'll get lizards?
that's not even funny. get out.
Being unfunny is half my job.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Cuboos
Byond Username: Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #67408

HURRY UP WITH THE SOUND ENGINE
/TG/ First and Only Sound guy
The only Dev unanimously loved least hated.
DanielRatherman

Post by DanielRatherman » #67849

Tried to make an Autolathe, or Circuit Printer or somethin.