Loyalty Pinned Wizard staffs are possible!

General SS13 Chat
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Loyalty Pinned Wizard staffs are possible!

Post by Bombadil » #60643

That's a staff of chaos.
An artefact that spits bolts of chaotic magic that can potentially do anything.
It is a huge item.
It has a the electronic firing pin installed.

I see the firing pin was implemented in a intelligent way
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Re: Loyalty Pinned Wizard staffs are possible!

Post by Konork » #60647

Code: Select all

obj/item/weapon/gun/magic/staff/chaos
	name = "staff of chaos"
	desc = "An artefact that spits bolts of chaotic magic that can potentially do anything."
	ammo_type = /obj/item/ammo_casing/magic/chaos
	icon_state = "staffofchaos"
	item_state = "staffofchaos"
	max_charges = 10
	recharge_rate = 2
	no_den_usage = 1
It's not a problem with the pins, it's a problem with the staves
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #61175

Konork wrote:

Code: Select all

obj/item/weapon/gun/magic/staff/chaos
	name = "staff of chaos"
	desc = "An artefact that spits bolts of chaotic magic that can potentially do anything."
	ammo_type = /obj/item/ammo_casing/magic/chaos
	icon_state = "staffofchaos"
	item_state = "staffofchaos"
	max_charges = 10
	recharge_rate = 2
	no_den_usage = 1
It's not a problem with the pins, it's a problem with the staves
Staves have been a child of gun for a LONG time- making staves NOT a gun would require duplicating a lot of code, which is a much bigger issue than the occasional coder not realizing that they are guns and need to be excluded from changes that shouldn't affect them.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Fayrik
Byond Username: Fayrik

Post by Fayrik » #61178

Am I the only one who sees this as a good thing?
  • Make "Magic" pin.
  • Only Wizards can use that pin.
Heck, if you wanted to go absolutely nuts with this, you could give the wizard a whole box of magic pins, then he could pin every gun on the station so that only he can use them.

Yes, this isn't the way it would work, but imho, this is the way it should work.
drovidi
Byond Username: Drovidi Corv

Post by drovidi » #61228

The proper Giacom-approved polymorphic thing to do would be to make staves and guns a child of an abstract projectile-spitting superclass.
iRazgriz

Post by iRazgriz » #61241

Violaceus wrote:Change their name to something like magic crystals or whatever.

But I think that regular human shouldn't be able to use magic at all, be it wands or staves.
Or better, give them a chance to backfire horribly.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #61557

Fayrik wrote:Am I the only one who sees this as a good thing?
  • Make "Magic" pin.
  • Only Wizards can use that pin.
Heck, if you wanted to go absolutely nuts with this, you could give the wizard a whole box of magic pins, then he could pin every gun on the station so that only he can use them.

Yes, this isn't the way it would work, but imho, this is the way it should work.
Summon magic wouldn't work then would it.

Also please remove pins and never bring them back, its just helping idiots that keep their guns out at all times and wonder why they get dunked.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #61558

As of right now every single gun in the game uses a standard firing pin, the only guns that start without a firing pin are those produced from RnD or the guns that Cargo can print.
iRazgriz

Post by iRazgriz » #61572

How do firing pins exactly work?
420goslingboy69
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Usednapkin

Post by 420goslingboy69 » #61638

Do not stop people from using magic weapons, please. That's stupid and unthought out.
i play :):):):):)autumn sinnow
this man's:):):):):) army
DESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERD:):):):):)ESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROY:):):):):)ERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDEST:):):):):)ROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDES:):):):):)TROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYER
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #61640

You know.

If someone ever coded out a more robust spell cost system, where different abilities/powers/items costed varying amounts of spell points, it might be interesting to allow a Wizard to buy a "wizard loyalty gem" to insert into one of their staffs. So they can buy the guarantee that no one will be able to steal their staff and turn it on them.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #61730

Steelpoint wrote:You know.

If someone ever coded out a more robust spell cost system, where different abilities/powers/items costed varying amounts of spell points, it might be interesting to allow a Wizard to buy a "wizard loyalty gem" to insert into one of their staffs. So they can buy the guarantee that no one will be able to steal their staff and turn it on them.
This basically already exists in the instant summons spell
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #61823

Incoming wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:You know.

This basically already exists in the instant summons spell
It has a 10 second cd too

Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #61831

420goslingboy69 wrote:Do not stop people from using magic weapons, please.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #62130

I had already done that the day before. :P
https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/7240

Note that the topic is a false statement, loyalty pins aren't even available to be crafted. I 'commented' them out by making them require combat 10, due to people raising concerns that they would become the new standard. Pins also are not even replaceable, but I plan on adding that ability.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #62153

Cheridan wrote:
I had already done that the day before. :P
https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/7240

Note that the topic is a false statement, loyalty pins aren't even available to be crafted. I 'commented' them out by making them require combat 10, due to people raising concerns that they would become the new standard. Pins also are not even replaceable, but I plan on adding that ability.
So if you put a test pin in you cant put in a standard pin after?

Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #62277

drovidi wrote:The proper Giacom-approved polymorphic thing to do would be to make staves and guns a child of an abstract projectile-spitting superclass.
they basically are, right now. split into three big subareas: energy, projectile and magic. pins were added in the superclass because energy and projectile both use pins.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #62280

you can just include the ability to distinguish between items that take pins and items that don't in the superclass, add a boolean needs_pin and the necessary checks in the pin code

you could even go one step further and also add an enum pin_type that determines which type of pins the device accepts, electronic pins or magic gems
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem