General SS13 Chat
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

miner nerf #072095279

Post by Timonk » #566314

lol
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Timonk

Re: miner nerf #072095279

Post by Timonk » #566315

i cant shitpost on github so i shitpost here
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #566318

It would be helpful if you posted the PR you were fucking weeping over so we have some context.

EDIT: Nevermind I decided I didn't want to wait

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/51706

Tl;Dr survival pens don't work in normal atmosphere now, so no more being a validhunting God as Miner because you can hard heal through anything.

Based change. This is why everyone is afraid of touching mining - miners cry when their side job of killing megafauna is touched because they don't actually want to mine to begin with.

Monster hunter job when?
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #566319

mining is balanced as it is right now theres no need to nerf
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Domitius
Byond Username: Domitius
Github Username: DomitiusKnack

Post by Domitius » #566320

Mining isn't getting nerfed though
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #566323

good change
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
remanseptim
Byond Username: Remanseptim

Post by remanseptim » #566324

add a traitor item that lets you attach weakened destabilizing forces to spacemen.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #566328

Timonk wrote:mining is balanced as it is right now theres no need to nerf
Ah yes, our Megafauna combat simulator with mining elements is very well balanced. Why do we even call it mining anymore?
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #566329

just step on lavaland/space for a second, inject the pen into a beaker and you can make a pill which is 10 times easier to use

its just an annoyance
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

remanseptim

Post by remanseptim » #566330

Vekter wrote:Ah yes, our Megafauna combat simulator with mining elements is very well balanced. Why do we even call it mining anymore?
does it really matter if minerals get to the station? you need to mine to get points, and by the time you've gotten enough materials to kit yourself out properly, the station's usually set unless you have someone building SS14 with a linked RCD. it's good job design that rewards players who mine with an advantage over the lategame, and one of the roles that actually HAS a lategame. only other job that really fits that mold is xenobiologist.
remanseptim

Post by remanseptim » #566331

Timonk wrote:just step on lavaland/space for a second, inject the pen into a beaker and you can make a pill which is 10 times easier to use

its just an annoyance
new PR: Survival Medipens can no longer be injected into containers.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #566333

we call it mining because miners will always bring back mats even if they are going after fauna

they need still fucking medipens and stabilisation serums
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #566334

I also don’t follow why would you need miner medipens as MD if doing all good chems requires 2 minutes and a chem dispenser
Ivuchnu
Byond Username: Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #566336

>not letting miners altruistically spend bunch of points for pile of medipens in medbay
Heal w. water/starlight/rads +self-resp
Not happy with game, not happy with code.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #566339

the real sin is it's a pretty baby nerf for something that literally ruined the ability for miner points to be integrated into the economy (well that and the fact it's literally infinitely buyable so long as you have monopoly points).
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Ivuchnu
Byond Username: Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #566343

If you feel like miners buy too much pens, raise their price so miners have to mine more before dying to Bubblegum yet another time.
Heal w. water/starlight/rads +self-resp
Not happy with game, not happy with code.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #566347

I'm going to merge that PR just because you made this thread.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #566350

wow hes actually mad at me lol
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #566354

How can nuke disk be z-locked but not magic miner pen?
Yenwodyah
Byond Username: Yenwodyah
Github Username: Yenwodyah

Post by Yenwodyah » #566357

Remove miner
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #566359

It’s a wack solution to a major problem
[this space reserved]
stan_albatross
Byond Username: Stan_albatross

Post by stan_albatross » #566360

The main thing this PR seems to be nerfing is on station miner murderbones, as miner can use the pens to heal very easily. It does not nerf medical much (since MDs can just buy atropine pens and they almost all will be from now on for the all-damage medibot medkit), to be honest the "problem" of medbay using pens for heals seems manuel-exclusive/limited to long rounds where miners have so little else to do with their points. Even then it only heals brute, burn and oxyloss (the third not being that much of a big concern for medbay, more of a problem for lexorin syringe gun users but that's rather niche) meaning that the hardest damage to quick heal (toxin) is untouched. Chemists can already make a salcylic acid + oxandronalone pill factory in the time it takes a miner to come back with their first load of ore (10-15 minutes) so the impact on medbay is small from this PR. To keep original functionality as intact as possible but still nerf the main target of the PR (quick heals for on station traitors) I say that the lavaland extract in pens should cause screen shake + minor dizziness if used off the lavaland zlevel, because it doesn't work well if used off lavaland or something. Not the low pressure thing because that makes no sense mechanically or logic wise. If mr miner murderboner wants his easy on station heals, he should go farm legion cores, which is considerably more effort than spamclicking a vendor. Hopefully this would keep the side use of pens (medbay heals on manuel rounds) intact while nerfing their ided use (freeheals during murderbones).
Karl Karlsson and never anything else
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #566363

daily reminder that in a game about conflict and paranoia on a metal death trap in space it makes no sense to have people fucking off to go fight monsters on lavaland or whatever
Limey wrote:its too late.
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #566364

Qbopper wrote:daily reminder that in a game about conflict and paranoia on a metal death trap in space it makes no sense to have people fucking off to go fight monsters on lavaland or whatever
It makes tonnes of sense. Research stations need resources. Mining for them on a forsaken shithole full of death traps is more engaging than having them delivered from fucking cargo.
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #566365

Qbopper you had me in the first part ngl
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #566371

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:
Qbopper wrote:daily reminder that in a game about conflict and paranoia on a metal death trap in space it makes no sense to have people fucking off to go fight monsters on lavaland or whatever
It makes tonnes of sense. Research stations need resources. Mining for them on a forsaken shithole full of death traps is more engaging than having them delivered from fucking cargo.
you're missing my point and I don't even agree with what you just said
  • it's not that much more engaging; many more people like miner now that there's a lot of things to do that are explicitly NOT mining for minerals in the role
  • your comment about the research station is easy to argue against with "why would they expend extra resources and money outfitting a research station with its own mining shit when they could just ship it in from a dedicated mining platform and not risk personnel on the station/etc." if you really want to be hung up on the lore explanation
  • I was arguing to the greater design of the game as a whole, where this specifically makes no sense
Imagine if you were playing werewolf or TTT or something and you could just dip out of the game for a chunk of the round to play, like, pacman, or something, and then you could show up with a minigun and body armor

leaving the round at hand to do shit off the station is absolutely a clash against the base of the game but it'll never get redone again/removed
Limey wrote:its too late.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #566377

This isn't just a baby nerf, it isn't going to do enough. There are ways to get around it, and one of the most powerful things miners can exploit us spacewalking either suitless or suited thanks to these pens. They can buy hardsuits, get hardsuits as loot or simply use survival pens to outheal the pressure damage. Blowing out a window on the station to space can also create pockets you can use to heal.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #566386

qbopper is correct.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #566387

Yenwodyah wrote:Remove miner
No dont its one of the two jobs I actually enjoy now

geneticist is boring and hasn't had mutations added to it in years

botany got nerfed and now I cant be darned to figure out how to mutate the good stuff

Cook is always full

It's just xenobio and mining for me and if both of them were removed I would literally have nothing to do
► Show Spoiler
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #566390

Shadowflame909 wrote:geneticist is boring and hasn't had mutations added to it in years
Except all the mutations added this year, but since those aren't powergame gear I guess they dont exist for you. ;)
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #566391

NecromancerAnne wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:geneticist is boring and hasn't had mutations added to it in years
Except all the mutations added this year, but since those aren't powergame gear I guess they dont exist for you. ;)
unironically this

what am i gonna do with shooting out my tongue (sorry armhulenn)

I just lose a tongue!

Same with the one that makes you literally lose a random limb in an effort to escape handcuffs

You literally lose a limb.

Compare that to telekinesis, space immunity, pre-nerf hulk, x-ray, just some really valuable stuff.

That is not to say some things that could have been cool simply didn't get in, like felinid wolverine claws.

but ultimately genetics has gotten nothing to play with in a long long time.
► Show Spoiler
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #566404

you cant' even PICK THE LIMB YOU LOSE WHY
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #566431

This nerf isn't even needed, I've never seen a miner put a shit ton of pens in medbay
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Kingtrin
Byond Username: Kingtrin

Post by Kingtrin » #566433

>Hey guys we don't like how miners feel really disconnected from the station
>In fact some of the only things they do besides ore deliveries is helping medbay via survival pens and space fights with xenos
>Lets make them even more disconnected from the station by severely limiting their ability to heal critical crew members with those pens
>Hey you know what else guys what if we make their gear useless outside of lavaland?

I get that a lot of people don't like miners in their current state but thats hardly a good reason to shit on them like this. I'm still waiting for anyone to make any PR's making mining more closely integrated into the station itself. So far from maintainers and coders all I've seen are years of salty complaints and nerfs about lavaland/mining that don't even address the underlying problem. I would not be surprised if they eventually start trying to justify removing lavaland and mining loot altogether.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #566436

I mean, miner interaction with the crew should definitely not be Medbay-In-A-Pen. Depending on the medipen balance it would either undermine medbay or be redundant.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Kingtrin
Byond Username: Kingtrin

Post by Kingtrin » #566438

XDTM wrote:I mean, miner interaction with the crew should definitely not be Medbay-In-A-Pen. Depending on the medipen balance it would either undermine medbay or be redundant.
While true there's no plans on implementing any sort of interactions beyond this. This leaves mining even more in a position where it is easy to criticize and hard to justify spending time making PR's for.
Jack7D1
Byond Username: Jack7D1

Post by Jack7D1 » #566449

Oranges I love you please marry me
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #566452

XDTM wrote:I mean, miner interaction with the crew should definitely not be Medbay-In-A-Pen. Depending on the medipen balance it would either undermine medbay or be redundant.

I do be getting a medical doctor to implant a legion core into me so I dont get rekt by the goliath tendril + legion combo/megafauna in general
► Show Spoiler
Cimika
Byond Username: Cimika

Post by Cimika » #566458

Everyone seems to be missing the true aim of my PR, and I'm absolutely certain that some are doing it on purpose. The aim was never about stopping from giving pen to medical or whatever. That's just an afterthought that I edited in the PR because someone mentioned it to me.

The aim of this PR is to leave mining untouched, and to limit the use of the pens on station. Right now, a lot of people play miner just because of all the incredible (OP?) gear that you can from down there. You can get amazing weapons and armors, you can get syndicate encryption keys to validhunt even more ! A good chunk of those people use this gear to validhunt / murderbone on station. Why does a job that already have access to some of best weapons in the game (hiero staff for one), that is also fairly easy to get (Hiero cheesed by spamming pens while standing still), should also have access to an instantly usable HUGE HoT that basically makes them immortal to most form of combat on station ? Why are those players allowed to basically become godlike on station, with incredible gear, tools and healing items ? This is not healthy. It just attracts validhunter / murderborner / powergamer that want the loot to shit on other players.

And on the plus side my PR is not a HUGE nerf, it just makes them harmer to use on station. But you can see by all the negative feedback, the hate and the backlash that miners don't want anyone to touch their precious, overpowered gear.

People were up in arms about the cloning removal, about the canisters, and about a dozen more changes that ended up being better for the game. The issue is that most of those that complains just don't want to be weaker. Like people complaining about staying dead longer because of cloning removal. The point is that if you don't get killed, why should you be allower to basically jump back in the game with almost no consequences, and almost no down time ?
Everything requires a downside to be balanced. Survival pens are immensely powerful heal that allows you to sustain against literally every form of damage in the game, so they shouldn't be possible to be used everywhere.

That's my opinion at least, and I'll die on this hill, because people that can't accept downsides / being weak in one way or another are a plague on any games.
Queen of the 2020 Summer Ball
Spoiler:
From the legendary ShadowFlame thread :

Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #566460

Cimika wrote:The point is that if you don't get killed, why should you be allower to basically jump back in the game with almost no consequences, and almost no down time?
Because cloning still took a fuck ton of time. It was only fast if you were the only person in line (unlikely as fuck) or someone speedran higher tier parts. That was likely one of the reasons why people felt cloning wasn't op.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #566461

Kingtrin wrote:
While true there's no plans on implementing any sort of interactions beyond this. This leaves mining even more in a position where it is easy to criticize and hard to justify spending time making PR's for.
dont make prs then if you are going to not consider the REALLY BIG PROBLEM that is allegedly byond comprehension to everyone but non-contributors.

I dont think limiting the ability of one of their many loot memes, particularly one of the few that is literally infinite, is going to make mining easier to criticize.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Cimika

Post by Cimika » #566463

Ayy Lemoh wrote:
Cimika wrote:The point is that if you don't get killed, why should you be allower to basically jump back in the game with almost no consequences, and almost no down time?
Because cloning still took a fuck ton of time. It was only fast if you were the only person in line (unlikely as fuck) or someone speedran higher tier parts. That was likely one of the reasons why people felt cloning wasn't op.
Then I don't see why cloning being gone is bad. I'm a /decently good/ medical player and I could revive you from being husked at shift start with nothing more than basic surgeries and tool in under 2 minutes. I don't see how that's long, considering you got /killed/ and you're on a justified timeout. But anyway that's not the point of the thread.
Spoiler:

Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #566464

Cimika wrote:
Ayy Lemoh wrote:
Then I don't see why cloning being gone is bad. I'm a /decently good/ medical player and I could revive you from being husked at shift start with nothing more than basic surgeries and tool in under 2 minutes. I don't see how that's long, considering you got /killed/ and you're on a justified timeout. But anyway that's not the point of the thread.
it's honestly bad because destruction is so much easier then repair.

>blows up an entire department, gibbing 1 person and utterly brutalizing 10 people

>do a emagged gibber lube meme that ends up killing 20 people very rapidly

>his grace

>e-swords

You might be good enough at medbay to fully reconstruct someone back to health, but that'll take significantly more time and effort then rounds generally last.\

Edit: So now these no-cloner rounds will generally leave more people out of the round then before.

Which!! Will only promote some antag nerfs for being lame because I don't forsee any other option with the headcoder having "make death a legitimate consequence" goal.

Dying is just so easy.
► Show Spoiler
Cimika

Post by Cimika » #566465

You might be good enough at medbay to fully reconstruct someone back to health, but that'll take significantly more time and effort then rounds generally last.
I don't see how it can take a whole shift to fix someone, even if they are /fucked/.
Spoiler:

Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #566467

Cimika wrote:
You might be good enough at medbay to fully reconstruct someone back to health, but that'll take significantly more time and effort then rounds generally last.
I don't see how it can take a whole shift to fix someone, even if they are /fucked/.

All I know is whenever I get to medbay and it's not overcrowded with bodies, maybe because I was utilizing the experimentor and I ended up with the bomb mysterious object, or I got mauled by a bunch of space carp, or I stepped in lava and died.

It generally takes like 10-15 minutes to revive me after they tend my wounds and bring my limbs back from the destructive state, longer if any of my limbs are gone/blown off/incinerated.

BUT, when you add that to a crazy chaotic round like nukies, or revs, or traitors, just generally some round where a large amount of people are dying.

Medbay kind of stops entirely, bodies are everywhere, medical might even be in hiding or scattered trying to get to safety. Very little amount of people are actually healing and are overwhelmed.

Players just can't keep up with the destruction.
► Show Spoiler
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #566468

Cimika wrote:snip
I agree with the intention of the PR, but the implementation is hard to justify without breaking immersion. As i mentioned in a comment, there is no way a medipen would be designed to lock up in specific pressures if there is no actual downside otherwise, and having to depressurize a room on station seems way too convoluted as an intended use method.
Hence my other suggestion of making the main chem in the mix, lavaland extract, ineffective outside of lavaland, which would make sense given the name, and feels less 'forced' as a balancing mechanism.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Jin
Byond Username: MonkyCocc

Post by Jin » #566470

Ivuchnu wrote:If you feel like miners buy too much pens, raise their price so miners have to mine more before dying to Bubblegum yet another time.
Bubblegum really isn't that hard of a boss, even if you can't stand pretty much still and cheese him like the colossus. The most you'll need is pens for is the 1st phase and maybe a couple for the second if you have bad ping.

Just run straight
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #566471

Jin wrote:
Ivuchnu wrote:If you feel like miners buy too much pens, raise their price so miners have to mine more before dying to Bubblegum yet another time.
Bubblegum really isn't that hard of a boss, even if you can't stand pretty much still and cheese him like the colossus. The most you'll need is pens for is the 1st phase and maybe a couple for the second if you have bad ping.

Just run straight
okay "gamer who kills megafauna 10 minutes into the round"

smh elitists trying to balance the game around them instead of the casual
► Show Spoiler
Cimika

Post by Cimika » #566472

XDTM wrote:
Cimika wrote:snip
I agree with the intention of the PR, but the implementation is hard to justify without breaking immersion. As i mentioned in a comment, there is no way a medipen would be designed to lock up in specific pressures if there is no actual downside otherwise, and having to depressurize a room on station seems way too convoluted as an intended use method.
Hence my other suggestion of making the main chem in the mix, lavaland extract, ineffective outside of lavaland, which would make sense given the name, and feels less 'forced' as a balancing mechanism.
I don't think that would be a good idea, firstly because of icebox, secondly because I tried to keep the healing pen mostly the same, except it can be used in niche cases.

I'll also argue that I can change the description to make it use an air needle like the hypospray and say higher air pressure prevents the chemicals from leaving the pen or something. If we allow PKAs to be affected by pressure, why not pens?
Spoiler:

Jin
Byond Username: MonkyCocc

Post by Jin » #566474

Shadowflame909 wrote:
Jin wrote:

Just run straight
okay "gamer who kills megafauna 10 minutes into the round"

smh elitists trying to balance the game around them instead of the casual
It takes you 3 pens and 3 legion cores to kill an ash drake.