Has Discord ruined SS13?

General SS13 Chat
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Re: Has Discord ruined SS13?

Post by Qbopper » #570833

Bottom post of the previous page:

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:I still maintain that the discord shift has made people less willing to stick around when dead and chat the shit until the next round but have absolutely 0 evidence
I think this was becoming an issue before discord
Limey wrote:its too late.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #570835

Qbmax32 wrote:throwback to always having to be logged on to the IRC as an admin before discord or you’d get deadminned
lmao i remember getting deadminned but everyone had forgotten about irc so i logged into irc and answered game mechanic ahelps until armhulenn caught on (dont think it took long)
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #570852

Qbopper wrote:
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:I still maintain that the discord shift has made people less willing to stick around when dead and chat the shit until the next round but have absolutely 0 evidence
this is because of the huge excess of ghost roles
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #570873

Has discord ruined SS13?
Has balance changes ruined SS13?
Has Ssethtide ruined SS13?
Has Manuel ruined SS13?
Has SS13 Idle ruined SS13?

I've predicted the next several threads of riveting discussion going forward. You're welcome.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #570875

NecromancerAnne wrote:Has discord ruined SS13?
Has balance changes ruined SS13?
Has Ssethtide ruined SS13?
Has Manuel ruined SS13?
Has SS13 Idle ruined SS13?

I've predicted the next several threads of riveting discussion going forward. You're welcome.
OP's angle was more "discord makes it very easy to metagame and I feel this impacts the game negatively" than straight "X bad i hate X"
Spoiler:
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #570894

Pretty sure op was baiting
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #570939

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Qbopper wrote:
this is because of the huge excess of ghost roles
based take

this was never a problem when there was just PAIs/hoping you rolled for admin spawned shit like death squads
Limey wrote:its too late.
Jack7D1
Byond Username: Jack7D1

Post by Jack7D1 » #570944

Don't take away derelict drone :<
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #570945

I mean... we ARE complaining about people being able to play instead of sitting around doing nothing here. I still stand by an admin button to disable any way to get back into the round, but this is a good thing
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #570947

I feel like sseth did more to hurt the game than Discord did.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #570949

Vekter wrote:I feel like sseth did more to hurt the game than Discord did.
I disagree, an influx of new players is absolutely vital if we expect the game to be around in a few years. If even 10% of the sseth tide turns into mostly good players then I'd say the month long headache of weeding out the shitty ones is worth it.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #570950

New players are new blood
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #570952

Armhulen wrote:I mean... we ARE complaining about people being able to play instead of sitting around doing nothing here. I still stand by an admin button to disable any way to get back into the round, but this is a good thing
It's okay to have to spectate on occasion, especially in a game like this that is (arguably) a story generator first and foremost where you can watch the drama unfold. Shooting the shit with your fellas and seeing things play out isn't doing nothing imo.
I've also noticed a harsh decline in the aversion to death compared to previously. Yes, cloning is gone which makes getting revived a touch harder, but actually getting back into the game alive is 100% free when there is a constant queue of ghost roles to choose from.
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #570953

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Armhulen wrote:I mean... we ARE complaining about people being able to play instead of sitting around doing nothing here. I still stand by an admin button to disable any way to get back into the round, but this is a good thing
It's okay to have to spectate on occasion, especially in a game like this that is (arguably) a story generator first and foremost where you can watch the drama unfold. Shooting the shit with your fellas and seeing things play out isn't doing nothing imo.
I've also noticed a harsh decline in the aversion to death compared to previously. Yes, cloning is gone which makes getting revived a touch harder, but actually getting back into the game alive is 100% free when there is a constant queue of ghost roles to choose from.
very reasonable argument, convincingly good enough for me to say that ghost roles should be more limited
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #570969

Armhulen doesn't want people playing the game when they are dead?
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #570971

I'll be honest, spectating as a ghost is boring. The station is huge, and in the vast majority of the station, nothing interesting is happening. When something interesting does happen, it's too often over quickly and easy to miss. SS13 is a fun game to play, but incredibly boring to watch. At least in my experience.

If the argument is that off-station ghost roles should be minimized, one could make that argument. But unless an admin is actively trying to bring players back into the game and inject life into the round, sitting around as a ghost is something you'll just tab out for.
► Show Spoiler
Sheodir
Byond Username: Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #570981

Farquaar wrote:I'll be honest, spectating as a ghost is boring. The station is huge, and in the vast majority of the station, nothing interesting is happening. When something interesting does happen, it's too often over quickly and easy to miss. SS13 is a fun game to play, but incredibly boring to watch. At least in my experience.

If the argument is that off-station ghost roles should be minimized, one could make that argument. But unless an admin is actively trying to bring players back into the game and inject life into the round, sitting around as a ghost is something you'll just tab out for.
Issue is more that I honestly haven't seen an ERT/Death Squad or any other fun ghost role shit in eons. Everyone's too busy playing mafia or derelict drone.
I play Holden Westmacott. Sec/PM main most of the time.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #570982

play more
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #570997

Sheodir wrote:
Farquaar wrote:I'll be honest, spectating as a ghost is boring. The station is huge, and in the vast majority of the station, nothing interesting is happening. When something interesting does happen, it's too often over quickly and easy to miss. SS13 is a fun game to play, but incredibly boring to watch. At least in my experience.

Issue is more that I honestly haven't seen an ERT/Death Squad or any other fun ghost role shit in eons. Everyone's too busy playing mafia or derelict drone.
after all of my feedback has successfully been "i've never gotten a game going" i assure you they are not busy playing mafia. getting 12 people to click a button is like slowly pushing a 9 inch nail into your brain
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #571266

Armhulen wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
very reasonable argument, convincingly good enough for me to say that ghost roles should be more limited
Yeah so I did it
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/52683
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #571267

BeeSting12 wrote:
Vekter wrote:I feel like sseth did more to hurt the game than Discord did.
I disagree, an influx of new players is absolutely vital if we expect the game to be around in a few years. If even 10% of the sseth tide turns into mostly good players then I'd say the month long headache of weeding out the shitty ones is worth it.
I suppose. I just feel like the general quality has gone down over the last few years. Manuel feels more like how the game used to whereas Sybil and Basil are massive clusterfucks where people don't even pretend to try.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

CSPAN
Byond Username: CSPAN

Post by CSPAN » #571268

Vekter wrote: I suppose. I just feel like the general quality has gone down over the last few years. Manuel feels more like how the game used to whereas Sybil and Basil are massive clusterfucks where people don't even pretend to try.
This largely feels true. I came back to play more tgstation after few years hiatus and I thought manuel was going to be something special where players behaved differently but it feels pretty much the same as what Basil and Sybil were like 3-5 years ago.
Player of: Jay Bodega
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #571269

CSPAN wrote:
Vekter wrote: I suppose. I just feel like the general quality has gone down over the last few years. Manuel feels more like how the game used to whereas Sybil and Basil are massive clusterfucks where people don't even pretend to try.
This largely feels true. I came back to play more tgstation after few years hiatus and I thought manuel was going to be something special where players behaved differently but it feels pretty much the same as what Basil and Sybil were like 3-5 years ago.
Very accurate, and actually makes making fun of manuel pretty fucking funny

I think sybil isn't that bad though out of the lrp servers
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #571276

All sybil ERPers went to Manuel
There's no more reason to make fun of sybil
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #571284

Timonk wrote:All sybil ERPers went to Manuel
There's no more reason to make fun of sybil
Oh no, there's plenty. Just for other reasons.
Spoiler: