New Official Lore Regarding the SS13 Universe [HIGH-EFFORT]

General SS13 Chat
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

New Official Lore Regarding the SS13 Universe [HIGH-EFFORT]

Post by Stickymayhem » #572755

Ok, magic isn't real, let's get that out of the way now. There's no such thing as magic, ghosts, none of this soul bullshit, it's all explainable.

First lets define some concepts, OOC chat, OOC, Deadchat and IC
OOC chat: This is exclusively the OOC server chat, and has no relevance to lore, so although I will say OOC frequently, I am never referring to this
OOC: Out of Character: Part of my thesis is that all OOC discussion and behaviour is in fact canon, and explainable using in game systems. I have some key arguments for why this is the case, and then some explanations which are more contentious.
Deadchat: The chat you speak in when you die, generally considered OOC. I will argue that it is both OOC and also canon and IC.
IC: In character, which refers exclusively to the actions and behaviour of your character while alive.
OOC in IC: Speaking about OOC concepts in character. This is bannable, and violations of this are generally considered non-canon, space madness or some other similar explanation.

Let's begin. Ghosts aren't real.

When you die in SS13 what happens? Like what really happens? You become a ghost, right? Where do you go at that point. You need to be revived at Nanotrasen HQ, then sent back out to another station. You may or may not remember what happened on your previous stations, but if you've ever played the same character in more than one round, you have experienced this. So what's this process? Well the general consensus is that you are cloned, which seems reasonable. But this doesn't explain the ghost form. If this was the full explanation, your screen would go black as soon as you died and you wouldn't be able to see anything until you were alive again. So if the ghost isn't the soul, or magic, what is it?

Well, let's look at how sentient minds work. We have mobs that are and aren't sentient, based on whether a mind or "ghost" is inside. But effectively the line between a mind and a ghost in SS13 doesn't exist. If you are a ghost, you are a mind, and vice versa. If a "ghost" is put in any mob, that mob now has a mind. So effectively you are a floating mind looking out at the station, but how can a mind exist independently.

This is where the big leap in head canon comes in, you are not just a mind, you are a hivemind. A group of stored sentient minds in a collective hivemind resulting in the collective power to understand concepts far beyond the capacity of the individual. Such an 'AI' has effectively reached an early stage of singularity, becoming totally sentient, superintelligent, and having the capacity to understand levels of reality far beyond our own. Now, as actual humans playing the game, we have to separate these out into neat concepts to understand, and this is where the blending of OOC and IC happens. Deadchat is able to discuss concepts both IC and OOC, but the living are not. Why then, if a mind that was once dead and was able to discuss stuff like "the server" and "powergaming" is the same mind that is now in an IC body, can they no longer discuss these concepts? Because the meatbrain prevents access to those higher functions. They become totally incomprehensible while alive, so the human mind that does grasp these concepts, is considered insane (and punished by OOC in IC bans, treated badly by the crew, etc.).

A key component of this theory is the wizard's scrying orb. A device that allows the wizard to enter deadchat, a clear violation of this rule, and yet, it is perfectly explained by this. The scrying orb doesn't look magical, it's a ball of lightning, a piece of incomprehensible technology, allowing the mind to interface with the hivemind AI.The wizard can interact in an OOC manner with deadchat without breaking any rules, but as soon as they return to their meat body, they are incapable of continuing to express those ideas. Effectively the wizard is decoupling from their limited mind, and engaging with the hivemind to get information, then filtering that back down into useable IC concepts (like where their target is, for example).

So ghosts are a representation of your expanded, omniscient consciousness, which is also why you can see everything and follow anyone, because they remain a part of the collective, they just can't comprehend it.You are the representation of the omnisicient consciousness, piloting the little spessman because ultimately you comprehend several layers of reality more than your actual spessman does in game, just as a superintelligent AI would comprehend more layers of reality than you.

This is canon. There is no possible counterargument.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Re: New Official Lore Regarding the SS13 Universe [HIGH-EFFORT]

Post by Nabski » #572758

Counterarguement

Ghost Court is in session.

Ghost court points at sticky.

Sticky dies from brain damage and the assistant swarm.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #572761

no john sex mentions, literally uncanon
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #572763

also holo water is enemy nanite repellant
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #572770

didn't read
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

EOBGames
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: EOBGames

Post by EOBGames » #572781

submit it to the lore repo or perish
Everyone's favourite internewt. Je maptiendrai.
In the rare event that I'm on the server, I'm either Inept-At-Job or Kayden Riker. Accept no substitutes.
If you've gotta contact me, hit me up on discord, as I don't really check forum DMs: @Emerald_or_Bust#1314
Spoiler:
Beware the Chilledstation, for it approaches.
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #572880

SS13 is Buddhist propaganda
The anattā know, shut it down
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #572881

Oh, look, another fan theory. Let me tell you why your lore is pure fantasy and unrealistic, bucko:

number 1, if you are just part of the NT hivemind, then how do you explain them becoming wizards and syndicates themselves? Oh, did NT just create the syndicate as well to blow up their own research stations? Yeah right, as if that would ever happen.

number 2, if we're part of the hivemind, then how do you explain our ability to just close the game? If I can just exist and unexist at any time, then how do you want me to believe that I'm just another testobject for the corporation?

number 3, ghosts aren't real? That's cute, but how come everyone that is dead just happens to look like one? Is that a small oversight in your BIG GLORIOUS LORE or just another brilliant ploy by NT to further test your abilities?

I think we're done here, get outta here kiddo.
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #572882

BONERMASTER wrote:Oh, look, another fan theory. Let me tell you why your lore is pure fantasy and unrealistic, bucko:

number 1, if you are just part of the NT hivemind, then how do you explain them becoming wizards and syndicates themselves? Oh, did NT just create the syndicate as well to blow up their own research stations? Yeah right, as if that would ever happen.

number 2, if we're part of the hivemind, then how do you explain our ability to just close the game? If I can just exist and unexist at any time, then how do you want me to believe that I'm just another testobject for the corporation?

number 3, ghosts aren't real? That's cute, but how come everyone that is dead just happens to look like one? Is that a small oversight in your BIG GLORIOUS LORE or just another brilliant ploy by NT to further test your abilities?

I think we're done here, get outta here kiddo.
WOAH YA GOT ME

OH DID YA? NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

1. WIZARDS ARE NOT PART OF THE NT HIVEMIND, WHEN YOU BECOME A WIZARD OR NUKE OP, YOU ARE A NEW CHARACTER. HENCE WHY YOU HAVE TO SELECT A NAME AND YOU DON'T PLAY YOUR SAME CHARACTER. TOTALLY DIFFERENT FACTION. TRAITORS ARE NT MEATPUPPETS THAT HAVE BEEN CORRUPTED, BECAUSE ONCE IN MEAT YOU ARE JUST A FALLIBLE PERSON.

2. DUMB ARGUMENT, WE ALREADY EXPLAIN CLOSING THE GAME WITH STUFF LIKE SSD. EVERY COMPONENT OF THE HIVEMIND DOESN'T HAVE TO BE ACTIVE 100% OF THE TIME, THEY SPIN UP AND SPIN DOWN AS NEEDED.

3. THEY LOOK LIKE GHOSTS BECAUSE IT'S A HUMAN UNDERSTANDABLE REPRESENTATION OF THE FORM. SIMILARLY, OOC CONCEPTS IN IC ARE METAPHYSICAL ABSTRACTIONS INCOMPREHENSIBLE TO A MEATBRAIN PERSON.

YA THINK YA GOT LORE BRUH?!?!?!
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #572884

What about magic and ghosts simply existing instead of forcing everything into a cramped bag of overexplanation and overcomplication?

Fantasy and sci-fi can co-exist you know, they're not mutually exclusive. Ghosts can be loosened forms of residual energy residing in a phased dimension, magic is just a way of manipulation of the matter and the fabric of space-time only a few can wield, etc. There, you got your lore.

Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #572886

Agux909 wrote:What about magic and ghosts simply existing instead of forcing everything into a cramped bag of overexplanation and overcomplication?

Fantasy and sci-fi can co-exist you know, they're not mutually exclusive. Ghosts can be loosened forms of residual energy residing in a phased dimension, magic is just a way of manipulation of the matter and the fabric of space-time only a few can wield, etc. There, you got your lore.
How do you explain deadchat being able to talk about OOC concepts while also being able to interface with a wizard through scrying orb. Why can that wizard not then bring those OOC concepts back into the IC game when they're back in their body?

EXPLAIN THAT WITH YOUR MAGIC
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #572891

Someone get this vigger some chicken breast, his brains leaking out onto his keyboard
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #572892

Stickymayhem wrote:
Agux909 wrote:What about magic and ghosts simply existing instead of forcing everything into a cramped bag of overexplanation and overcomplication?

How do you explain deadchat being able to talk about OOC concepts while also being able to interface with a wizard through scrying orb. Why can that wizard not then bring those OOC concepts back into the IC game when they're back in their body?

Even with how overpowered the cultists can be in Lovecraftian mythos related stories, not even those with the most direct path to eldritch knowledge can understand EVERYTHING. You can be told that a fifth dimension realm exists however how would you even comprehend or describe such a thing? At best, you'll just stutter and go "uuuuuuuuuuuh 5d cube uuuuuh"
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #572896

Ayy Lemoh wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:

Even with how overpowered the cultists can be in Lovecraftian mythos related stories, not even those with the most direct path to eldritch knowledge can understand EVERYTHING. You can be told that a fifth dimension realm exists however how would you even comprehend or describe such a thing? At best, you'll just stutter and go "uuuuuuuuuuuh 5d cube uuuuuh"
yes but it doesnt explain why your supposed ghosts (HA WHAT A RIDICULOUS CONCEPT FOR LITTLE BABIES WITH TINY MINDS) are able to understand and talk about OOC concepts. If deadchat is in the scope of your lore you have to explain this
BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #572919

Alright, listen...

your story, it's cute and creative, I'll give you that. And I'm sure there are some people out there that would love to have a read of it.

But it ain't blockbuster material. And I may not be a big shot but I am educated on the matter, and believe me, I know what I'm talking about.

If you want to go head to head with the best that hollywood has to offer, if you want to earn CASH, and we're not talking a few thousand $ here and there, I'm talking BIG MONEY, you got to step up your game. If I have the choice between the latest avengers movie and your story, why should I choose your story? Truth hurts man, but it's a dog eats dog world out here, you got Tony Starks and captain Americas getting shit out and growing left and right, that's the world that you got to compete in, and your story, sorry to say this, but it just sucks, too boring, too vanilla. People don't want to keep seeing the same thing over and over again, you got to change it up, make your protag a gay bitch or some shit. It's not about the story, it's about the cash, face it kiddo, if you want to make it on the big screen and earn some fat stacks, you got a long way ahead of ya.

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #572941

BONERMASTER wrote:Alright, listen...

your story, it's cute and creative, I'll give you that. And I'm sure there are some people out there that would love to have a read of it.

But it ain't blockbuster material. And I may not be a big shot but I am educated on the matter, and believe me, I know what I'm talking about.

If you want to go head to head with the best that hollywood has to offer, if you want to earn CASH, and we're not talking a few thousand $ here and there, I'm talking BIG MONEY, you got to step up your game. If I have the choice between the latest avengers movie and your story, why should I choose your story? Truth hurts man, but it's a dog eats dog world out here, you got Tony Starks and captain Americas getting shit out and growing left and right, that's the world that you got to compete in, and your story, sorry to say this, but it just sucks, too boring, too vanilla. People don't want to keep seeing the same thing over and over again, you got to change it up, make your protag a gay bitch or some shit. It's not about the story, it's about the cash, face it kiddo, if you want to make it on the big screen and earn some fat stacks, you got a long way ahead of ya.
hehe, alright execushit here's the thing

i dont even NEED your money? you see my instagram? my tiktok? my YOUTUBE channel? thousands of fans want me and only me, you dont got anyone caring about any of your shit now. its a new world, the theatres closed and now us internet generation are the kings of the world, your money? worthless? my fans? limitless. you may think just cos you wear suits and have a fat paycheck you rule the world but just you wait, the kids of the internet generation are here and we control the the media now

its all over, you already lost, thanks for playing. i dont need your dirty money to MAKE ART

we're the internet, dont fuck with us

oh and...heh...my protag was already gay, its called being woke 8-)
BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #572963

You can talk the talk...

... but can you walk the walk ?

Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #573010

admins are ghosts
ghosts are not real
therefore admins are not real
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #573014

still haven't read but i made it into an ai adventure

Code: Select all

You are a 20 something vegan in the city of London. You are posting high-effort lore on the /tg/station forums. You press the phpBB New Thread button which looks the same as it did in 2007 and begin to type up your post:

"[here I pasted the entire post]"

> You do not proofread or spellcheck and press the Submit button.
You submit your post and wait for the inevitable flood of abuse.

"DID YOU REALLY BELIEVE THIS LOAD OF SHIT? IF YOU DID THAT'S JUST AS STUPID AS PRETENDING TO BE A GHOST. I BET YOU'RE JUST A REGULAR HUMAN BEING THAT'S TOO LAZY TO THINK UP A ORIGINAL STORY."
"I agree! This is really stupid and pointless. I thought we came here to have fun, not read some weird kid's social commentary."
"Only a retard would believe that ghosts are real."
"Ghosts aren't real. You're just some loser that's too scared to do stuff yourself so you decided to make up a fantasy where you're 'awesome'."
"
> Call the constabulary on the offending posters
You aren't going to let these fools get away with this. You press the Call the Constabulary on the Insulting Posters button. A portal to Hell opens, and all of the posters are dragged in there by demons.

> Eat a healthy vegan meal to celebrate.
You eat a healthy meal of quinoa and vegetables.
"I'm proud of you, kid," says the Old Man. "You did good today."
You smile as you eat your meal.
NSFW:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #573016

cacogen wrote:still haven't read but i made it into an ai adventure

You are a 20 something vegan in the city of London. You are posting high-effort lore on the /tg/station forums. You press the phpBB New Thread button which looks the same as it did in 2007 and begin to type up your post:

"DID YOU REALLY BELIEVE THIS LOAD OF SHIT? IF YOU DID THAT'S JUST AS STUPID AS PRETENDING TO BE A GHOST. I BET YOU'RE JUST A REGULAR HUMAN BEING THAT'S TOO LAZY TO THINK UP A ORIGINAL STORY."
"I agree! This is really stupid and pointless. I thought we came here to have fun, not read some weird kid's social commentary."
"Ghosts aren't real. You're just some loser that's too scared to do stuff yourself so you decided to make up a fantasy where you're 'awesome'."
"
You aren't going to let these fools get away with this. You press the Call the Constabulary on the Insulting Posters button. A portal to Hell opens, and all of the posters are dragged in there by demons.

>tfw no Old Man
>tfw all i get to do is drag shitposters to hell
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #573017

Old Man Robustin
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #573026

cacogen wrote:still haven't read but i made it into an ai adventure

"

lmao imagine writing this much just for a dumb memepost what a fucking loser
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #573059

NSFW: