PvE/Misc. Content with friend group

General SS13 Chat
Pettyrelic
Byond Username: Pettyrelik

PvE/Misc. Content with friend group

Post by Pettyrelic » #587563

I managed to get a server of my own rolling locally, and a couple of my friends are interested in trying the game and learn in a safe environment.

Where should I look to for nice little events or PvE I could run for a small clique of friends? (2-5 players)

I'm familiarizing with the admin tools, but many of the spawning menus basically expect you to already know what you're searching for.

Thanks!
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Re: PvE/Misc. Content with friend group

Post by BONERMASTER » #587565

Look up the ghostrole for "old cryogenetics pod", these are 5 pods in an derelict station, partially filled with aliens, and it's a nice compact introductionary to all the essential elements in SS13. It's pretty much made for coop, it gives you a bunch of obstacles and limits to overcome, it's one of the best and relaxed ghost roles there is, and exactly what you might be looking for.
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
trollbreeder
Byond Username: Trollbreeder
Github Username: trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #587566

Get familiar with typepaths. If in doubt, search on github for what you're looking for.
Use the thunderdome (on the centcom z-level) to test stuff before doing it for real.
Don't be afraid of things going wrong. Things going wrong is the point of the game!
Be a guideline, not a strict rule. Help players through, but don't railroad heavily.
Let players play.
Admin tool tutorials:

How to spawn something in
Spoiler:
1. Look in the top right for the verb list
2. Make sure you are adminned! Check the admin tab and click "readmin" if you're not
3. Go to the tab "admin - game"
4. Click on "game panel"
5. Click on "create object" for objects (things), "create turf" for floors and walls, or "create mob" for living things
6. You will get a form like this:
It might look complex, but it's quite simple.
Type is the typepath, basically the path through a large type directory for things; for example /turf/open/floor/plasteel spawns a grey metal floor, and /turf/open/floor/plasteel/white spawns a white metal floor. You can search for a word in a path, a full path, etc
Number is the amount of things you want to spawn in.
Where is, well, where you want the object to appear.
Offset is an offset for where the object appears by X horizontally, Y vertically, and Z by z-level. I haven't used these, but in some scenarios it could be useful.
A and R stand for Absolute and Relative. I haven't tested these so you probably shouldn't touch this.
Dir is the direction you want the object to spawn at, as a number. Cheat sheet: 1 South 2 North 4 East 8 West
Name is the name, obviously. The object will be referred to ingame by that name, for example "toolbox" or "insulated gloves".

The majority of the form is taken up by a big list of paths. This is the search results from what you typed into Type.
Scroll down the list until you find whatever you're looking for, then click on it. Then click on "spawn". You can click on "spawn" again to make more, or you can search for a different object to spawn. When you're done, click X at the top right to close it.
How to respawn someone as a new mob
Spoiler:
1. Spawn the mob you want (see how to spawn something in), for example, a regular human (mob/living/carbon/human)
Note: you can also find any ol' mob lying around instead of spawning one in, like a mouse or Ian.
2. Right click this mob and select "View variables", commonly called the varedit menu. You'll see this complicated looking menu:
It's quite useful for changing the properties of certain objects, but for now we'll ignore actual var editing.
3. Click on the dropdown titled "Select option" at the VERY TOP:
Scroll down until you see 3 options called "Assume direct control", "Give direct control", and "Offer Control to Ghosts". Depending on what you want to happen, click on:
  • Assume direct control: if you want to play as this mob yourself
  • Give direct control: if you want to make someone other than you play as this mob (forcefully). Select their ckey (all lowercase username without punctuation) from the list, and their mind will be put into the mob.
  • Offer Control to Ghosts: if you want any one unspecific dead player (ghost) to play as this mob. Every ghost will get a prompt that says "Do you want to play as [this mob]?", and a choice of yes or no. If no ghost wants to, you'll have to try again or find another way.
How to heal a mob to full health
Spoiler:
Try to avoid having to full heal someone (especially multiple times), it's kinda cheat-y.
1. Right click the mob and select "Player Panel":
This is a big, terribly made panel full of random garbage. Click "Heal" in the top right. They'll become good as new.
There's all sorts of buttons you can press, but remember: don't press big red buttons if you don't know what they'll do.
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
Pettyrelic
Byond Username: Pettyrelik

Post by Pettyrelic » #587567

trollbreeder wrote:Get familiar with typepaths. If in doubt, search on github for what you're looking for.
Use the thunderdome (on the centcom z-level) to test stuff before doing it for real.
Don't be afraid of things going wrong. Things going wrong is the point of the game!
Be a guideline, not a strict rule. Help players through, but don't railroad heavily.
Let players play.
Hey, thanks.
BONERMASTER wrote:Look up the ghostrole for "old cryogenetics pod", these are 5 pods in an derelict station, partially filled with aliens, and it's a nice compact introductionary to all the essential elements in SS13. It's pretty much made for coop, it gives you a bunch of obstacles and limits to overcome, it's one of the best and relaxed ghost roles there is, and exactly what you might be looking for.
I can't find the old cryogenetics pod in any list, do I have to spawn it in or trigger it first?
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #587569

Nah, when you are a ghost / start out as observer, you go to the ghost tab in the top right (where your status, admin, preferences tabs are), and you look for the option "Spawners Menu", in there are all the available ghost roles you can spawn as. Other than on the icebox map, this should spawn on every other map 100%.
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #587572

You can always spawn a ruin too. Go into debugging panel, click spawn/create ruin (you might need to enable debugging verbs for this, which is another button in the panel). Make sure you’re in a large expanse of space if you do so. I imagine the one boner is talking about is called charlie station or something like that.
[this space reserved]