Lore and Headcanons

General SS13 Chat
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Lore and Headcanons

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #604821

"Referring to shit that's happened in a past shift is ok so long as you don't go too far in OOC in IC" is the general consensus I hear from staff, and I've chatted with people about "damn I sure hope that medbay/bar/the station doesn't get bombed again" or similar concepts.
What I'm interested in though is how do you guys justify having that sort of persistent, round-after-round memory, and what happens to the stations of prior shifts?

Or if you're interested, just go for the broader topic of "what's your personal lore/headcanon for how nanotrasen operates with people and stations and each individual shift".

I'm writing yet another literary masterpiece for the library, and I talk a little about my justification for how crew members can be syndicate agents one round and the next come back perfectly fine despite having been widely known as operatives of a rival megacorporation - this got me interested in hearing about how everyone else justifies the sort of thing and their own personal takes on the wacky proceedings of the game.
Spoiler:
My take was that everyone on-station's a clone of the actual crew member, and that occasionally on transport to the station they can get intercepted and brainwashed secretly by inside agents from the syndicate - it explains why you can have people who've died previously return and also why a syndicate operative one round is hired back the next. Probably some wacky memory transfer tech for the clone lives over to the actual person's for round-over-round persistent memory. As for the stations, they just produce so much money via research that it's economically friendly to simply rebuild/repair busted-up stations for a new shift.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Re: Lore and Headcanons

Post by Kendrickorium » #604830

vekter yelled at me once because i was talking about "the gods"
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #604847

Time loop.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #604848

Westworld
[this space reserved]
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #604928

Kendrickorium wrote:vekter yelled at me once because i was talking about "the gods"
hes a communist so its likely hes just triggered by any divine figures other than karl marx and Pol Pot
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #604991

any lore that contradicts my personal headcanon is in fact nanotrasen propaganda
Domitius
Byond Username: Domitius
Github Username: DomitiusKnack

Post by Domitius » #605607

The removal of cloning machines on all stations was the result of a shortage of cloning toner or ink. Was cheaper just to trick more people to work on than order more.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #605628

there is no such thing as magic, or ghosts. "OOC" is a canon part of the game.

Every ghost is the human brain friendly expression of an AI entity returning to the hivemind "deadchat/nanotrasen between rounds" before being put back in a meat body

when the hiveminded ai is free, it can comprehend the horrible truth and interact with the ooc level of the game. when it's in a meat body, it's comprehension has to fit in brainmeat and they can no longer comprehend OOC (hence being unable to bring ooc info from deadchat to being alive again).

technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic. Wizards have the tech to enter the hivemind from a living body and return with the ic portions of information they can gather. same deal with cultists obeying nar nar (an advanced AI that replicates itself in the classic pattern of malevolent superintelligence, hence the harvester "drones" and mechanical theme of construct creation)

The syndicate corruption, loyalty implant, mind fuckery shit is basically separatist groups interfering with the hivemind entities to try to fuck up nanotrasen. this is nanotrasens greatest technology and the easiest way to have coverage across their sectors. This is also why you keep playing the same characters across different sectors light years apart from each other.

I can explain any inconsistency in the game with this canon and no other canon can do that. it is the official lore of tgstation
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #605703

I didn't read Sticky's post because there were too many words in it despite it being charitably spaced but I do want to say that I've often felt that the station and its antagonists are all part of a simulation run by Nanotrasen for the purposes of research and entertainment. Not a simulation in the computer sense, a simulation in the Dharma Initiative sense.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #605733

cacogen wrote:I didn't read Sticky's post because there were too many words in it despite it being charitably spaced but I do want to say that I've often felt that the station and its antagonists are all part of a simulation run by Nanotrasen for the purposes of research and entertainment. Not a simulation in the computer sense, a simulation in the Dharma Initiative sense.
It's smart not to read the sticky posts that aren't formatter properly

It's smarter not to read sticky posts
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
cSeal
Byond Username: O0cyann0o

Post by cSeal » #605822

I've always imagined past rounds as being a mix of fucky wucky brain wipe stuff done by nt to obscure info they don't want leaking and some shit just not being canon- I don't think I like the idea of the whole clone database thing since that sorta removes the entire threat of death beyond owie that hurts, so I tend to just go along the lines of "I got better" for the less drastic death stuff or "it didn't happen quite how it went down in game" for stuff like being gibbed by a maxcap to the face or being sharded by cultists or something

I do like the idea of nt just repeatedly reviving and mind wiping antags because its simpler than hiring and acclimating a new guy, maybe with the additional justification that most antags aren't really in their right mind when they do what they do (heretics and cultists having their minds fucked with by evil gods, tots having their minds fucked with by syndies, etc)

as for what happens to stations of previous shifts they probably just get repaired when possible and when not scrapped and used to build new stations
► Show Spoiler
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #605823

cSeal wrote:I've always imagined past rounds as being a mix of fucky wucky brain wipe stuff done by nt to obscure info they don't want leaking and some shit just not being canon- I don't think I like the idea of the whole clone database thing since that sorta removes the entire threat of death beyond owie that hurts, so I tend to just go along the lines of "I got better" for the less drastic death stuff or "it didn't happen quite how it went down in game" for stuff like being gibbed by a maxcap to the face or being sharded by cultists or something

I do like the idea of nt just repeatedly reviving and mind wiping antags because its simpler than hiring and acclimating a new guy, maybe with the additional justification that most antags aren't really in their right mind when they do what they do (heretics and cultists having their minds fucked with by evil gods, tots having their minds fucked with by syndies, etc)

as for what happens to stations of previous shifts they probably just get repaired when possible and when not scrapped and used to build new stations
You might not like that death is inconsequential but you can't deny that it is, if only because people treat dying as inconsequential. The canon has to accomodate this, a canon that doesn't actually reflect the state of the game is just fanfiction
cSeal
Byond Username: O0cyann0o

Post by cSeal » #605827

Stickymayhem wrote:The canon has to accomodate this, a canon that doesn't actually reflect the state of the game is just fanfiction
I really don't care lol I just like thinking about things in a way that's personally interesting to me
► Show Spoiler
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #605828

Stickymayhem wrote:there is no such thing as magic, or ghosts. "OOC" is a canon part of the game.

Every ghost is the human brain friendly expression of an AI entity returning to the hivemind "deadchat/nanotrasen between rounds" before being put back in a meat body

when the hiveminded ai is free, it can comprehend the horrible truth and interact with the ooc level of the game. when it's in a meat body, it's comprehension has to fit in brainmeat and they can no longer comprehend OOC (hence being unable to bring ooc info from deadchat to being alive again).

technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic. Wizards have the tech to enter the hivemind from a living body and return with the ic portions of information they can gather. same deal with cultists obeying nar nar (an advanced AI that replicates itself in the classic pattern of malevolent superintelligence, hence the harvester "drones" and mechanical theme of construct creation)

The syndicate corruption, loyalty implant, mind fuckery shit is basically separatist groups interfering with the hivemind entities to try to fuck up nanotrasen. this is nanotrasens greatest technology and the easiest way to have coverage across their sectors. This is also why you keep playing the same characters across different sectors light years apart from each other.

I can explain any inconsistency in the game with this canon and no other canon can do that. it is the official lore of tgstation
My canon can.
Rohen_Tahir wrote:Time loop.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #605861

Stickymayhem wrote:
cacogen wrote:I didn't read Sticky's post because there were too many words in it despite it being charitably spaced but I do want to say that I've often felt that the station and its antagonists are all part of a simulation run by Nanotrasen for the purposes of research and entertainment. Not a simulation in the computer sense, a simulation in the Dharma Initiative sense.

I hope you didn't take that as me shitting on you I can't read it's a theme
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #605910

cSeal wrote:I've always imagined past rounds as being a mix of fucky wucky brain wipe stuff done by nt to obscure info they don't want leaking and some shit just not being canon- I don't think I like the idea of the whole clone database thing since that sorta removes the entire threat of death beyond owie that hurts, so I tend to just go along the lines of "I got better" for the less drastic death stuff or "it didn't happen quite how it went down in game" for stuff like being gibbed by a maxcap to the face or being sharded by cultists or something

my argument is that people don't take death as anything more than "owie that hurts", even on mrp
also recloning costs money for nonhumans since they're not covered by terragov's universal healthcare (for humans) so l o l m o n e y
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #606003

cacogen wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:

I hope you didn't take that as me shitting on you I can't read it's a theme
dont shit