Eventsbus: "event lead" succession and delegation

General SS13 Chat
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Eventsbus: "event lead" succession and delegation

Post by CitrusGender » #605572

someone requested some information from me about succeeding and events forward so I thought I would make a thread about what I actually do (not in admin forums since there's a lot of event staff that aren't admins)

I'll preface this and say that I understand that there's a bit of a vacuum left over from the fact that I'm not gonna help with eventsbus anymore (other than maybe streaming)

First off: Ultimately eventsbus is just normal admin events that have a month or so worth of work behind them (to those who don't know), effectively my informal-job has been to make sure that the work gets done in a timely manner so that it's done ready for the event. I try to play triage between each one of the events and maintain order in eventsbus (in discord) by giving everyone a job and making sure the coders, mappers, and (sometimes) spriters have some work to do. It's overall maintaining direction and keeping the drive going for creative people to make something interesting.

Honestly, I don't think my position is very important since I don't do the meat of the coding/mapping/spriting and I mostly serve as the cleanup and organizer of all the shit on the repo for git so that we can get it prepared for each event. I usually clear merge conflicts, bring the repo up to date with master, test it on the server with testmerges, and I bring the server up and down depending on it. Though, I suppose it's definitely a high trust job that people can only do if they're allowed to be a keyholder (and probably an admin.)

I do map every so often but the main thing that I've served as is a timeskeeper, boss, and (recently) vision person that tries to see the end product and how to get there. Perhaps there is some use for it but I've never particularly considered my job that important since I had no formal role or anything: I just thought that I was giving people the right idea on what needed to be done where and when. Though I'm starting to think that's not exactly the case anymore.

In any event, we missed the winter ball sadly since I was busy with work and I was ultimately losing my motivation to do things at the time. Toolbox tournament is, unfortunately, a massive endavour that takes up a ton of my time since I need to set up the charities, get a google doc out for all the competitors, set up the backend depending on the competitors, get the announcers/twitch stuff squared away, maintain the repo, and ensure that the map templates are done. I'm not doing too much of the actual mapping or coding but it's very tiresome and it takes up a ton of my time which is why I usually do it a month beforehand. This recent event was somewhat similar but I didn't do the charity part since that's another dimension of stuff that I needed to set up. The Summer and Winter Ball are a lot easier since all we need to do is create the map, polish it, test it, and make sure that we have event code on there. It just takes mapping knowledge and having a bunch of admins to look over it since the day gets a ton of admin tickets.

Sorry if that's a bit rambly, but that's effectively the extent of what I do and the topic has come up in adminbus recently about centralized leadership for the events squad (I guess if you can call it centralized as is). If I had to put a list of relevant qualifications about what it takes to be an "events lead" or "events master:"

Mandatory:
  • A lot of experience with using Git and managing a repo (be ready to clear merge conflicts)
  • Acceptable knowledge of mapping to make the map for the events and to manage them.
  • Working knowledge of coding in DM and the tgstation codebase (for eventcode, ensuring that stuff compiles, and just making sure that the shit people code works)
  • Ability to manage people and get people together to map/code. Be ready to have people bail on you (this happens a lot)
  • Knowing how to manage google docs and spend a lot of time making forms on various websites (whole lot of paperwork and documents before toolbox tournament)
  • Be ready to learn a lot if you're planning to do something interesting. (Gameshow was very very different than before and required new framework)
  • Be a keyholder or be able to be trusted with being a keyholder
  • Be willing to teach people things about Byond/DM
  • Be ready to spend 10 hours per week for each week before the event and 30+ hours on the week of big events to do testing (other than balls)
  • Be able to delegate tasks efficiently and be able to adequately express what needs to be done. (there's a ton of people involved in each event doing things like admining, mapping, and coding. You can't do all of it)
Recommended:
  • Probably a good idea to be an admin or maintainer (though not necessary!)
  • Good social skills and being able to write (ALOT) for the threads/rules/ and other random crap.
  • Deal well with working under pressure from deadlines which may or may not be your fault
  • Be able to take a lot of criticism (maybe not something I've done the best...)
  • Knowledge of being an admin so you can delegate admining the specific events and give direction for the admins during the event
  • Knowledge about eventcode and optimizations in place to ensure that the server runs smoothly
  • Experience with working with events in any capacity.
  • Being able to create design documents helps
Obviously, some of these things can be delegated and pieced away to make the overall job easier. I was thinking about ways to do this while I was working in eventsbus but I never particularly got around to it.

I'm not gonna answer any questions about a particular thread (athath) going on atm btw and I'll just delete messages about them.

Sorry if this sounds a little bit too focused on me. I don't know if this will particularly do anything but I thought for a second that I really want to see events start up again so I thought I'd put some effort into potentially giving people an idea of what I do since people have been asking. It would be great to see the Balls and Toolbox tournament still get organized even after I'm done with the position. I know eventbus has been concerned about this recently so I can only hope that this helps people understand what I did after I stop running events. I know Nameless has talked about taking over though so I do wish them luck, though I don't think this is something that just they can do.
tattle
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Re: Eventsbus: "event lead" succession and delegation

Post by tattle » #605574

Thank you for all of your hard work, Citrus!
Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler:
yeeye
Byond Username: TotallyNotADog

Post by yeeye » #605579

Citrus has been a consistently amazing event lead in all my time in eventsbus, and I can only hope whoever succeeds can be just as great (and maybe a little less racist against event spriters) :)
i dont know what to put here
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #605586

From what I've seen of the robustness tourney and what I've heard about the others, your events have been really good.
Sad that I couldn't attend more than your last one since I joined barely over a year ago now, but thanks regardless - hopefully whoever succeeds you keeps up your good legacy.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #605590

what is a keyholder, I have the requirements.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master

Post by CitrusGender » #605637

Jonathan Gupta wrote:what is a keyholder, I have the requirements.
keyholder is having the ability to touch the box that the servers run on and restart/start up the servers and testmerge stuff on them
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #605931

CitrusGender wrote:Honestly, I don't think my position is very important.
but it's the most important bit
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #605932

Also you forgot the most important thing: You have to be so loud you can drown out anyone else in a voice chat with you so you can be heard.
Fishimun
Byond Username: Fishimun

Post by Fishimun » #605936

you have to be the discord moderator and mute everyone else.
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master

Post by CitrusGender » #605983

oranges wrote:Also you forgot the most important thing: You have to be so loud you can drown out anyone else in a voice chat with you so you can be heard.
smart, extremely smart
Naloac
Byond Username: Naloac

Post by Naloac » #605990

Godbless citrus just please dont blast my ear drums out anymore I beg you
Timberpoes wrote: Lepi was right all along.
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=24032
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #606001

I don't foresee anyone else stepping up and filling this position, after seeing how many people backed out of and deferred on their obligations during the last event
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #606005

eventsus
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master

Post by CitrusGender » #606011

Naloac wrote:Godbless citrus just please dont blast my ear drums out anymore I beg you
STILL GOT ACCESS TO THE TWITCH, HAVEN'T HEARD THE LAST OF ME YET
Shaps-cloud wrote:I don't foresee anyone else stepping up and filling this position, after seeing how many people backed out of and deferred on their obligations during the last event
it's a sad part of the truth that a lot of my job involves wrangling up people and constantly replacing people.

there are many people who help and I really try to thank those who do, it really is a shame though but I suppose that's what happens when you open-source events.

I can't say I'm not a bit worried either though, hence why I made the thread.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #606012

i mean i feel like i'm a team leader but i am awful at deadlines and frequently fuck them all up which is an absolute deal killer

i still see domi and nameless as good picks ;)
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #606018

I have heard domitius scream before, I have not heard nameless scream before, therefore I'm for domitius

I'm still impressed at how citrus hasn't torn his vocal cords out yet, last night's jackbox made it hard for me to speak the morning after and I wasn't even that loud
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master

Post by CitrusGender » #606041

I don't think Domi would be looking to lead the events team right now...

I can't particularly say this is a position that people would particularly want the more that I think about it
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #606043

CitrusGender wrote:I don't think Domi would be looking to lead the events team right now...

I can't particularly say this is a position that people would particularly want the more that I think about it
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Look me in the eyes.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master

Post by CitrusGender » #606045

Jonathan Gupta wrote:
CitrusGender wrote:I don't think Domi would be looking to lead the events team right now...

I am sorry friend but I cannot say that I know anything about you, perhaps it may be better to assist during an event before attempting to take over the entire thing? obviously not a prerequisite but it definitely does give some perspective since I don't know much about you at all.
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #606046

CitrusGender wrote:
Jonathan Gupta wrote:

I am sorry friend but I cannot say that I know anything about you, perhaps it may be better to assist during an event before attempting to take over the entire thing? obviously not a prerequisite but it definitely does give some perspective since I don't know much about you at all.
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Robust Kills, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Goon Station, and I have over 3 million confirmed kills.

I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top toolboxer in the entire Space Station 13 Community. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on space, mark my fucking words.

You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across space and your prints are being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands.

Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the Traditional Games Marine Corp and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of this Galaxy, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue.

But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it.

You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #606071

hi sorry i think domi is too attractive to be the event lead sorry
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master

Post by CitrusGender » #606077

Stickymayhem wrote:hi sorry i think domi is too attractive to be the event lead sorry
the only true argument
Domitius
Byond Username: Domitius
Github Username: DomitiusKnack

Post by Domitius » #606084

I LOVE CITRUS GENDER THE RINGING IN MY EARS NEVER STOPS HELPE HELP HELPE HPE HELPE HELP
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #606101

Domitius wrote:I LOVE CITRUS GENDER THE RINGING IN MY EARS NEVER STOPS HELPE HELP HELPE HPE HELPE HELP
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Robust Kills, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Goon Station, and I have over 3 million confirmed kills.

I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top toolboxer in the entire Space Station 13 Community. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on space, mark my fucking words.

You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across space and your prints are being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands.

Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the Traditional Games Marine Corp and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of this Galaxy, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue.

But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it.

You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #606138

do you still get to participate in the events without stressing out the entire time about how it's being run
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
EOBGames
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: EOBGames

Post by EOBGames » #606144

Jaredfogle wrote:do you still get to participate in the events without stressing out the entire time about how it's being run
If my experience as someone who worked on some of the events is anything to go by, no.
Everyone's favourite internewt. Je maptiendrai.
In the rare event that I'm on the server, I'm either Inept-At-Job or Kayden Riker. Accept no substitutes.
If you've gotta contact me, hit me up on discord, as I don't really check forum DMs: @Emerald_or_Bust#1314
Spoiler:
Beware the Chilledstation, for it approaches.
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #606148

yeah figures
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master

Post by CitrusGender » #606166

Jaredfogle wrote:do you still get to participate in the events without stressing out the entire time about how it's being run
it really depends but not 100%, I do the announcer position stuff to kinda take a hands off approach to the toolbox/gameshow but the balls I tend to micromanage a little bit. Granted, I have had a date to most of the balls (thank you nitsah my love)