Metagangs, Metafamilies, Opinion thread

General SS13 Chat
Tearling
Byond Username: Tearling

Metagangs, Metafamilies, Opinion thread

Post by Tearling » #607102

What is everyone's opinion on metagangs? Although it's mostly a meme there are some examples of metafamilies (for example in the case of the LI family on manuel.)
Is it roleplay+? Is it metacringe?

Bonus Points: If you have any metagang ideas, go ahead and post them.
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:41 am From my perspective, players just want to genuinely be listened to. And I don't mean it condescendingly, but to genuinely have their say and for admins to listen, process it and reply. Even if you don't give two shits about what the player is saying, even if you disagree with every part of what they say, players are less likely to leave an ahelp pissed off if you've listened to them and given a reply that directly addresses what they've told you.
GreenKnight2903
Byond Username: GreenKnight2903

Re: Metagangs, Metafamilies, Opinion thread

Post by GreenKnight2903 » #607103

as long as it's not like sharing current round info and excluding other players I don't see an issue but of course, I am biased.
Im Green "dahn" Li. i do dumb shit and get banned.
Rhials
Byond Username: TheDuffelbag

Post by Rhials » #607104

I think metafamilies are great because having the same last name gives a quick, easy identifier on who I should never associate with.

As for metagangs, you might want to correct me if I'm wrong but that's distinctly against the rules. Metafamilies are mostly just metagangs with an extra coat of paint. See above post.
signature
-me

I've made all of your favorite PRs. Check 'em out!
Tearling

Post by Tearling » #607107

Rhials wrote:I think metafamilies are great because having the same last name gives a quick, easy identifier on who I should never associate with.

As for metagangs, you might want to correct me if I'm wrong but that's distinctly against the rules. Metafamilies are mostly just metagangs with an extra coat of paint. See above post.
By metagangs I mean meta roleplay groups, not meta comm groups. As far as I know so long as there are no meta comms IC relationships are allowed, but meta groups are an unknown area not mentioned in the rules whatsoever. If someone knows about a policy which goes further on it that I haven't seen I'd like to know.
Last edited by Tearling on Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:41 am From my perspective, players just want to genuinely be listened to. And I don't mean it condescendingly, but to genuinely have their say and for admins to listen, process it and reply. Even if you don't give two shits about what the player is saying, even if you disagree with every part of what they say, players are less likely to leave an ahelp pissed off if you've listened to them and given a reply that directly addresses what they've told you.
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #607109

In my opinion the game functions best when there is a healthy dose of paranoia against everyone around you, even your friends. If people are utilizing their OOC friendships in such a way that they're never a threat to each other ICly even when they're antagonists, then that's an issue.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #607110

They're as bad as metagrudges, if not worse. They should be discouraged through the code and rules whenever possible.
► Show Spoiler
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #607111

They're as good as top bar rp, if not better. They should be encouraged through good faith and wholeheartedly whenever possible.

wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #607112

Metagangs and friendships are really fun when you find yourself in them, and frustrating and alienating when you’re outside. As time passes I find they definitely have a diminished attraction for me, which is mostly what lead me to playing a variety of characters. I currently find approaching the game without any relationships to serve as crutches or handicaps provides a truer and more rewarding experience, and think metagangs have a lot of unhealthy attributes to them. Still, I try and not begrudge those in them too much, since they’re fun and I don’t exactly have much ground to stand on.

Families are cool provided they don’t stray into the territory of unfair advantages or whatever.
Last edited by wesoda25 on Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tearling

Post by Tearling » #607117

Farquaar wrote:They're as bad as metagrudges, if not worse. They should be discouraged through the code and rules whenever possible.
Could you deliberate further as to why you think they're as bad as metagrudges? I'm not asking for a "gotcha" type question, I'm asking because I'm putting together a personal list of pros and cons of meta friends/gangs/families.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #607150

Tearling wrote:
Farquaar wrote:They're as bad as metagrudges, if not worse. They should be discouraged through the code and rules whenever possible.
Could you deliberate further as to why you think they're as bad as metagrudges? I'm not asking for a "gotcha" type question, I'm asking because I'm putting together a personal list of pros and cons of meta friends/gangs/families.
The fundamental problem is as wesoda described. They're incredibly frustrating to deal with when you're not in the meta-circle. It's frustrating to be the victim of a serious crime, only to hear from security that the perp "isn't like that" or "isn't the type to do something like that". It's frustrating to see metafriends back up incredibly flimsy escalation because they assume, OOC, that their friend is obviously in the right. It's frustrating to have a superior officer pull rank on you to do a favour for their metafriend (i.e. give them additional access) without any reason beyond "they're a chill person". In-game, people should be judged by their actions, not by whether you play Vermintide with them on the weekends.
Last edited by Farquaar on Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #607153

how do you add a code solution to "people having friends"
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #607155

If you play the game long enough, you begin to recognize certain people, become familiar with certain people, and just make friends. I think that's one of the most rewarding parts about the game. It's more fun when you know the people playing along with you - but that's every game, right?

It's up to us as players to make sure that doesn't result in unfair treatment. I also agree with Wesoda - new players might feel excluded, to some degree, by not having any friends when they first join a server. But most of the players I know would be open and welcoming to them. You can make friends with someone in a single round, even. As the noobie plays more, he will integrate more with the community of players and feel more at home. This applies even to veterans that come back after a long time away. I felt very out of place when I came back since I recognized maybe 1-2 names. But over time I played more and started to become familiar with more people, and the game was a lot more fun after that. Probably what I miss most in my time away from TG are the people I played with in the servers.

Certain problems are introduced, of course. Players remember the things people do round after round. If someone is known to be a very nice player and trustworthy, then someone might trust them with something they wouldn't trust someone else with. That could be seen as an unfair advantage. I've seen captains give AA or the disk to certain players just because they know the player is trustworthy/robust from their past experience with them. I recall a round a captain tried to give me the spare as a sec officer simply because I helped him out in previous rounds. I denied it, and I'm sure most players would operate in good faith to ensure their relationships don't create unfair advantages - both for others and for themselves.

Likewise if someone is known to be a serial shitter and an asshole, then people will not be as receptive and welcoming to them in future rounds. Subtle "metagrudging" could occur then, where a doctor might simply choose not to revive them over someone else, or where they may be excluded from little games the crew plays. I'm not sure there is a good way to combat this sort of thing other than encouraging players not to be serial shitters.

tl;dr: Friends make the game worth playing, it's up to us as players not to let this create unfair advantages or disadvantages.
Spoiler:
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #607158

IMO it's pretty trivial to connect with people. You just have to actually roleplay instead of being a silent Austrian Death Machine.

I went from no-contact to "Oh, hey, I'm pretty cool with that person" over the course of one shift when I dressed as the Griffin and Watches-the-Moon dressed as the Owl and we started doing spontaneous children's TV skits in the hallways.

I think, fundamentally, the basis of these meta groups is simply people you know roleplay consistently as opposed to your [NAMES REMOVED TO PROTECT THE GUILTY] who just killbait and self-antag constantly because they don't care about anything but turning spacemen horizontal.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #607161

nianjiilical wrote:
Remove ooc and enforce random names.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #607163

There's something irritating about seeing metafriends on Manuel take over certain rooms and reduce them to chatroom and hangout spots specifically for themselves.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

MortoSasye
Byond Username: MortoSasye

Post by MortoSasye » #607167

I hate when they exclude people fnr, otherwise they're cool

I am also biased though
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
NSFW:
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #607170

i wouldnt be playing this game anymore if it werent for the people i met
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #607172

wesoda25 wrote:Metagangs and friendships are really fun when you find yourself in them, and frustrating and alienating when you’re outside.
This
Hugs
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #607174

Truly friendship is the most vile and pervasive form of metacomming.

smh

I'm not here to make friends.
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #607357

Farquaar wrote:
Tearling wrote:
The fundamental problem is as wesoda described. They're incredibly frustrating to deal with when you're not in the meta-circle. It's frustrating to be the victim of a serious crime, only to hear from security that the perp "isn't like that" or "isn't the type to do something like that". It's frustrating to see metafriends back up incredibly flimsy escalation because they assume, OOC, that their friend is obviously in the right. It's frustrating to have a superior officer pull rank on you to do a favour for their metafriend (i.e. give them additional access) without any reason beyond "they're a chill person". In-game, people should be judged by their actions, not by whether you play Vermintide with them on the weekends.
Those are all rule 2 violations due to rule 2 precedent 3:
R2P3 wrote:Character friendships should not be exploitative in nature or be used to gain an unfair advantage. Having an IC friendship with another player does not, for example, justify giving them all-access each round.
If you see behavior like this in-game, you can (in theory) be the change you want to see in the world for the low price of 1 minute spent contacting your local banbot.
Results may vary. I am not a financial advisor and this is not financial advice. I am not a legal advisor and this is not legal advice. This is not peanut. Side effects may include headaches, notes, knotted shoes, nausea, joint pain, seizures, heart attacks and shrunken gums. This post is provided with no warranty of any kind.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #607363

Rohen_Tahir wrote:If you see behavior like this in-game, you can (in theory) be the change you want to see in the world for the low price of 1 minute spent contacting your local banbot.
Unless they're outright metacomming, there's usually enough plausible deniability that admins won't do anything about it.
► Show Spoiler
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #607385

nianjiilical wrote:

Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #607388

Agux909 wrote:
nianjiilical wrote:
shopt -s dotglob
rm -r *
git add -A
git commit -m "Fixed everything"
git push
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #607448

unless there's shit like metafriends/gangs being in positions to cover each others' asses when one member fucks up I think it's fine
it's the difference between 4 assistants chilling out in maint talking with each other and a captain pardoning their nonantag metafriend for opening N2O canisters in engineering twice yknow

friends are nice to have, talking to people is literally the one thing that will always be new every shift, I see no reason to clamp down on that
I see reason to clamp down on people using their friendships in order to get away with griefing others/violating server rules
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #607611

Worst metagangs to deal with as antag personal ranking:
3. Medbay RPers
2. Sec train
1. Meta friend Maint hunting groups (looking at you, bagil circa one year ago.)
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #607893

Timonk wrote:Worst metagangs to deal with as antag personal ranking:
3. Medbay RPers
2. Sec train
1. Meta friend Maint hunting groups (looking at you, bagil circa one year ago.)
always good to have a IC friend, aka Jimmy Valentino second best man to ME.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #607899

Nah it was like 4-5 people hunting in Maint at the same time
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #607911

Timonk wrote:Nah it was like 4-5 people hunting in Maint at the same time
that's shit then.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

chesse20
Byond Username: Laserdog