Tramstation is way more popular than people seem to think.

General SS13 Chat
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Tramstation is way more popular than people seem to think.

Post by WineAllWine » #611600

it's the third most popular station after Meta and Delta: https://tgstation13.org/tgdb/irvpolltally.php?id=234

Among Admins, it's SECOND https://tgstation13.org/tgdb/irvpolltal ... ion=%2Bban
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Re: Tramstation is way more popular than people seem to think.

Post by Agux909 » #611601

Memes are popular.

Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #611602

admin finds out people like to troll
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #611603

So TramStation manages to pull ahead of... Kilo and IceBox.
Spoiler:
Kilo: Not bad IMO, but undeniably an oddball map. Very strange maint, very cramped, does not scale up terribly gracefully. Everyone knows that a vote for Kilo at even mid-pop is a bit of a troll vote right now.

IceBox: Actual hellhole. Constant wolf B&E at botany, unless the rework of the service area finally fixed that shit. Near-inevitable total failure of the main hallways to firelocks. Much like with Tram, multi-Z makes it genuinely painful to find where mice chewed wires. Having an actual atmosphere outside makes it harder to do some ‼Fun‼ setups in Engineering. The presence of Actual Gravity outside the station sucks for Engineers, Nuke Ops, and anyone who tries to repair a hull breach (or gets bombed) and gets to immediately fall through the floor and get their corpse stuffed in a Snow Legion forever
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #611604

firelocks are an ez fix, just shut off environment power on all hall apcs round start (takes like 3 min)
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #611605

people trying to say it 'only' beat ice and kilo when it was only 29 votes behind delta in first-picks for round 3

be afraid, tram haters
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #611610

MMMiracles wrote:people trying to say it 'only' beat ice and kilo when it was only 29 votes behind delta in first-picks for round 3

be afraid, tram haters
People straight up hating on tram is also mostly memes. I think there's enough care for the core idea of the map which is an actual creative breakthrough of this 20y o game.

It's more about "how better the map could be" than "this shit has no place in /tg/ I fucking hate it".

I'll quote myself since I came up with some ideas but not on the feedback thread.
Spoiler:
1 Upper floor-north side= swap service/botany for bridge/sec
2 Lower floor-south side= swap engi/atmos for library/recreational/chapel
3 double the space between stations and put some hazards down there. Mobs, acid, radiation leak, dunno.
4 make the rails be top ones (not visible) and then make it so you can't build over the empty space between stations, hard code it. Only spots without a void are now the bridges to cross.

There you go. Now:
.Service is in between the stations, and in front of medbay, way more transited by natural consequence
.Medbay has recreational under it, which means that if it's bombed you fall into an all access area.
.Sec and Bridge are quickly accessible by late heads/officers, and is closer to engi, which should make it more power efficient?
.Tram is infinitely more appealing and can't destroy you unless there's no gravity. If you don't want to take the tram you gotta run through a hazardous, dangerous under-passage which is now double the length and filled with simplemobs that obstruct your way and can kill you (like the ones in Kilo), or invest double the usual time deconstructing the sides to make hallways.
These are just some ideas of many out there, and not necessarily the best/most convenient ones. But the general gist of the complaints I've seen are related to layout and how tram isn't all that useful.

As I said in a previous post of mine, the novelty of the tram itself wears off sooner or later, and then you are left off with a flawed station that doesn't feel right. Changes of dept layout have been a step in the right direction, but there are problems still present. The post that prompted me to list ideas identifies some of them:
Spoiler:
sinfulbliss wrote:The main problem with tram is just how inconvenient it is to actually use the fuckin tram to travel. No one likes to sit and wait for 30 seconds before they can move to a different department when they could just walk there in the same amount of time.

The other problem is that you can’t cross the tramtracks easily without risking getting absolutely mauled by the tram. If there’s no gravity it’s instant death. If the massive hole that runs through the middle of the station is patched up with a catwalk, it’s instant death. And it doesn’t help tram has power problems that result in places like permabrig being unpowered very early on in the round. New players have an even worse time, since they aren’t as adept and regularly will just end up round-removed on the lower Z. It’s not a fun mechanic, really.

You know there is a problem if every single round people have entire projects modifying the map to make it somewhat more navigable (I.e., they build disposals shoots taking you from department to department, or cut hallways through the rock to allow people to walk if they choose, etc.)

It’s missing some things - HoS has no ID modification console, yet two security records consoles side by side in his office.

Finally, the fact that service is in an entirely separate section of the station from essentially everything else except dorms, combined with the low efficiency travel, and the fact bar for instance is on a lower Z, makes it extremely impractical for drawing crowds of people or having people “just stop by.”
So no, I don't want tram removed, I'd just like it to be more than a tram and a station around it

Sacko
Byond Username: Sacko

Post by Sacko » #611611

The silent majority will always prevail!
From the Great State of Wisconsin. Visit Madison, WI this summer!!! Go to the capitol, and Olbrich Gardens, and the arboretum, and the Chazen art museum, and historical camp Randall stadium. For nice.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #611613

Visibility of complaints skews heavily towards old fucks like me that are always dicking around on the forums and have nostalgic ideas about how the game should be but I think we've seen from literally every instance of polling players who actually play on the fucking servers that people like me are not reflective of the general consensus

That doesn't mean we can't bring good ideas to a newer active population that genuinely doesn't know how the game was 3-5 years ago, but we have to acknowledge that we're not the mainstream

It's like when they entire left was absolutely hyped and certain that EVERYONE loved bernie and bernie was going to annihilate the democrats and then it turned out the whole country didn't care. We exist in a bubble
Spoiler:
I'm hitting myself hard here but I do really like tram and novel ideas like that, I just think like any big boundary pusher it's going to take months of refinement like meta had
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #611615

Shut up Sticky you don't even play that much, don't put everyone in the same bag you're in :mrgreen:

Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #611623

MMMiracles wrote:people trying to say it 'only' beat ice and kilo when it was only 29 votes behind delta in first-picks for round 3

be afraid, tram haters
its a novelty for many people right now but will soon die just like kilo.
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #611628

tfw tram has been a FOTM since early march
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
don't go for another.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #611630

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:firelocks are an ez fix, just shut off environment power on all hall apcs round start (takes like 3 min)
You can use a multitool on fire alarms to turn off their thermal sensor which I imagine does the same thing and is faster
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #611631

cacogen wrote:
Tlaltecuhtli wrote:firelocks are an ez fix, just shut off environment power on all hall apcs round start (takes like 3 min)
You can use a multitool on fire alarms to turn off their thermal sensor which I imagine does the same thing and is faster
Does this only work if you do it before the alarms are triggered? Because I've tried it a couple days ago and the alarms kept going off and closing the firedoors. I think the only difference was that the red light wouldn't trigger.

Naloac
Byond Username: Naloac

Post by Naloac » #611632

tbh I dont like it cos I feel like it sacrifices alot just to have the tram. yeah it does fine in the overall poll for first picks but even then its against box, which was about to be removed before it got the ice added to it to try and give it SOMETHING else. tram is a fun gimmick map and nothing much else imo. its the same as donut people like it because its a meme to like it
Timberpoes wrote: Lepi was right all along.
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=24032
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #611633

I like tram
I like icebox
Simple as
NamelessFairy
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: NamelessFairy

Post by NamelessFairy » #611634

Naloac wrote:tbh I dont like it cos I feel like it sacrifices alot just to have the tram. yeah it does fine in the overall poll for first picks but even then its against box, which was about to be removed before it got the ice added to it to try and give it SOMETHING else. tram is a fun gimmick map and nothing much else imo. its the same as donut people like it because its a meme to like it
Don't bring donut into this, donut was one of my favorite maps
Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #611635

Naloac wrote:tbh I dont like it cos I feel like it sacrifices alot just to have the tram. yeah it does fine in the overall poll for first picks but even then its against box, which was about to be removed before it got the ice added to it to try and give it SOMETHING else. tram is a fun gimmick map and nothing much else imo. its the same as donut people like it because its a meme to like it
Incorrect. I like donut unironically, and I want it back.

MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #611636

Filter panel is admin only so players when clicking that only see the overall results.

Here is a permalink to the filtered version:

https://tgstation13.org/tgdb/irvpolltal ... djew%3D%3D
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #611638

Total vote value tells a different story.

AmongI swear to go if you make the joke i will end you people who didn't put it in their top spot, it was ranked much lower then the other maps on average.

The way the total vote value works, is that the top pick is treated as being worth an amount of points equal to the amount of choices (so in this case, 5), and each spot below that is worth half the amount of points as the previous spot. (so 2nd pick would be 2.5, and 3rd would be 1.25)
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #611642

NamelessFairy wrote:

Strong agree, donut was great
Sacko
Byond Username: Sacko

Post by Sacko » #611650

You can't make a logical appeal to why tram is the best it just is. All these forum posters can keep on dancing around the facts. But this train won't stop chugging. Hop on before you are left behind!!!!
From the Great State of Wisconsin. Visit Madison, WI this summer!!! Go to the capitol, and Olbrich Gardens, and the arboretum, and the Chazen art museum, and historical camp Randall stadium. For nice.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #611655

WineAllWine wrote:
NamelessFairy wrote:

Strong agree, donut was great
convince the playerbase that diagonal halls aren't a physical manifestation of the devil please
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #611694

you can’t because diagonal halls ARE cancer because of how tiles are positioned and how our movement works.
have you ever tried slipping someone on old donut halls? and I can probably say with certainty that hitting a throw or just shooting people with lasers in a diagonal hall is MUCH easier as people move way more predictably.
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #611702

Tram is mostly frustrating me because it's a cool idea but it has a few frequently-raised issues with its core usability (especially the tiny maintenance and that when sabotage causes SM delamination or Singuloose, they literally cannot affect the upper level, where... most people... are...)

I'll take Tram before IceBox any day, though, because IceBox is by miles the least usable map.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #611907

MrStonedOne wrote:Total vote value tells a different story.

AmongI swear to go if you make the joke i will end you people who didn't put it in their top spot, it was ranked much lower then the other maps on average.

The way the total vote value works, is that the top pick is treated as being worth an amount of points equal to the amount of choices (so in this case, 5), and each spot below that is worth half the amount of points as the previous spot. (so 2nd pick would be 2.5, and 3rd would be 1.25)
Yeah this says a lot, I think this is because during playervotes Tram immediately gets like 3-4 votes for the "LOL TRAM!!" meme, then a bunch of other people piggyback on it and it wins. Aside from that specific scenario it's usually not even considered so maybe that explains why it's lowest in total vote value.
Spoiler:
ArcaneDefence
Byond Username: ArcaneDefence

Post by ArcaneDefence » #612159

The best thing tram has done is further expand upon multi z mechanics by being an actual multi z experience, rather than multi z bolted on top of a map that is already a complete single z experience.

The tram itself is, to me, an afterthought there. It serves as a mechanic to get people to interact with multi z, and in that it's brilliant.
It's a shard of reality of the pipe dream of having shuttles actually move, and for that I love it.
Tram's done a lot for giving us things to improve and a unique experience from the other maps, and I'm glad to have been active when we first got it.

I look forward to more people building up on multi z mechanics and helping polish out the flaws that have become baked into a game focused entirely on one elevation level.
Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #612188

Agux909 wrote:
cacogen wrote:
Does this only work if you do it before the alarms are triggered? Because I've tried it a couple days ago and the alarms kept going off and closing the firedoors. I think the only difference was that the red light wouldn't trigger.
you have to multitool every firealarm in the room which is way slower than just shutting it off by apc
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #612191

firelocks exist for a reason, breaking them all is really unwise
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #612205

Flatulent wrote:firelocks exist for a reason, breaking them all is really unwise
If only that reason didn't seem to be "Shutting down the entire science wing permanently because toxins let off a small fart in their antechamber"
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #612212

The problem with atmos is that it can easily become an annoyance, and one of the only things keeping that annoyance from developing into something deadly is something also super fucking annoying. YOU CANT WIN!!
[this space reserved]
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #612233

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
Flatulent wrote:firelocks exist for a reason, breaking them all is really unwise
If only that reason didn't seem to be "Shutting down the entire science wing permanently because toxins let off a small fart in their antechamber"
or we have a breach and all of station is going to be uninhabitable very soon
see: half of kilo rounds involving most of the crewmembers dying fron breaches
Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #612243

Firelocks are annoying everywhere in fiction, they're supposed to be like that. It's not a code issue, a mechanic issue, nor a skill issue.

Listen, they usually separate the hero and the damsel in distress from each other, for the hero to scream "I'll catch up, don't worry about me, you go ahead!", then die and never reunite with the endebted dame. And those firelocks can't be opened with a crowbar!
Yes, those firelocks killed the hero! But we don't hear characters complaining about firelocks in movies do we?

Firelocks are a necessary evil, especially in such a setting as the one existing in ss13.

I hate firelocks.

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #612269

Agux909 wrote:Firelocks are annoying everywhere in fiction, they're supposed to be like that.
They were never designed with fastmos in mind. The necessity of getting a crowbar roundstart to reduce them to a mild annoyance instead of something that can get in your way for minutes every round while you find one is stupid. You should just be able to open them by hand after a short delay. I did try making a PR for this earlier in the year but LemonInTheDark closed it and it seems no other solutions have been made.
NSFW:

Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #612431

Another codebase has or had a thing that you could swipe your ID on a firelock to open it. Would be nice.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #612448

on the other hand the ai/atmos techs really need a way to lock shut a firelock so it cant instantly be opened by any bozo with tools for a little while, to stop people prying open doors into bomb sites and such while you're trying to rally engineers to come fix it because they GOTTA GO THRU EVERY SHUT DOOR!!
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #612542

You could just use an atmos holofan over the firelocks, which would have the added bonus of keeping them open.
NSFW:

Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #612554

you have two atmos holofans each can create 6(?) airlocks