Why don't coders play?

General SS13 Chat
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Why don't coders play?

Post by sinfulbliss » #615499

Hello fellow SS13 lovers,

We are all a part of the TG community because we like SS13. Many of us like it in different ways. Some people like playing it, some people like coding for it, some people like forumposting about it, etc. Nothing wrong with any of these.

But I am curious why many of the people who bust their asses coding for this game don't play it much. Oranges and MSO are good examples but I'm interested in hearing from all of the greens here (except Jaredfogle he doesn't count and some others prolly). Also I don't think there's any problem with this, most game devs don't play their games I think actually, just wondering.
Spoiler:
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Re: Why don't coders play?

Post by Agux909 » #615502

When you become so burnt out you can't enjoy the game anymore, you need to find a way to enjoy it and ruin it for others. Becoming a coder is a path you can take to achieve this.

Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #615512

Coding really comes out of the time you would be playing ss13, so you end up not playing much
Agux909 wrote:When you become so burnt out you can't enjoy the game anymore, you need to find a way to enjoy it and ruin it for others. Becoming a coder is a path you can take to achieve this.
coding is enjoyable but definitely a different experience and joy than playing the game. also, burnouts still play and ruin the game for others just fine
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #615515

The metagame is more fun then than the actual game. Also whenever I play the game I just see problems that need fixing. Outside of playing janitor, that shit never gets old
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
bastardblaster
Byond Username: BastardBlaster

Post by bastardblaster » #615521

Jannie is the true ss13 experience

Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #615534

I ruined any joy I have actually playing the game from an RP perspective when I got more familiar with the game code.

I have no capacity for suspension of disbelief anymore. I can't immerse myself in the game world and have fun. All I see are game mechanics and code abstractions instead of an actual game.

The most fun I have these days is interacting with the crew from CentCom, watching the stories that players create and training new admins.

There'll be a lot of players whose experiences of me outside of being an admin are reporting a bug via ahelp and seeing it fixed before the shift has ended.

I genuinely cannot enjoy playing for what it is, and get my joy through the stories others make and the friends I'm making along the way in an OOC manner.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #615538

Very cool answers. Indeed burnouts are players too, especially since it's easier to burnout and play than burnout and write code.
TheFinalPotato wrote:Also whenever I play the game I just see problems that need fixing. Outside of playing janitor, that shit never gets old
Makes a lot of sense, I have the same issue except from an IC perspective after playing sec enough you find it very difficult to resist validhunting, permanent goggles.
Timberpoes wrote:I genuinely cannot enjoy playing for what it is, and get my joy through the stories others make and the friends I'm making along the way in an OOC manner.
And coding provides the substance from which those stories are created (as well as admin events).
Spoiler:
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #615622

It's a curse.
You want to play SS13.
It takes about an hour to play a full round of SS13.
Two hours later you decide that you'll finish fixing polar bears tomorrow and that you will leave the bug that lets people use admin tools by fucking cows or whatever alone for now.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #615656

My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Rohesie
Byond Username: Rohesie

Post by Rohesie » #615660

Mix of what was said before. Part of the magic of the game lays in the discovery and its never-ending complexity. The more you know about it, the more you know about its limitations, and the less surprised you become by new stuff, as the inner workings are now understood.
Not knowing the code behind things is a blessing. That's one factor, for sure.

Time is another factor. Not just because you have to choose which you do at each moment, but also because it's kind of a mindset. Are you there to enjoy the round and see how things inevitably go wrong, or are you there to fix stuff so the game keeps running? Hard to conciliate both. There's an unlimited amount of things to fix, improve or add, so coding can easily make a contributor stop playing.

The way I do it, when life gives me time to enjoy the game, is either spend it all playing, or spend it all coding/reviewing.
This project is large enough that it's really fully dependent on nobody, so anyone can take a break and disappear for a while, and things keep running fine.
It's good from time to time to take a break and try enjoying the game.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #615661

you name dropped me but im going to respond with that every time i play this game i end up writing down 3 qol/fixes i need to do, and the time leftover from my job + maintaining the codebase + adminning + normal life is so minimal i can usually only get 1/2 rounds in each day if that
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<