Is stealing the hand tele the best theft objective? Or perhaps the worst.

General SS13 Chat
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Is stealing the hand tele the best theft objective? Or perhaps the worst.

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #617866

Two main related things make the hand-tele stand out from the rest of the objectives.
1. It is incredibly useful.
Theft objectives range from the worthless black box and the medal of captaincy to the harmful to take like the research server and to a lesser extent the nuke core. Some objectives such as the hypospray and the guns are useful for completing a specific one or two tasks. But the hand tele is useful in so many situations. It is useful in combat and action scenarios, as well as being a powerful tool to rapidly transport things. It can also be used as an infiltration tool, or even a murder weapon if you fling your targets into space.
2. Everyone wants the hand-tele
Because it is so useful, many people want the hand-tele for their own personal reasons. This could be the engi who wants to explore space and teleport his loot home, the greytider who wants it as an escape tool, or the cargo tech who wants to move crates. Because one of the hand-tele is so poorly guarded (a single unreinforced door, or a normal wall) and the other is in the caps office, it rarely goes without being taken.

Because of these factors, it is often very difficult to impossible to locate a hand teleporter as a traitor objective. Unless you break-in (which is super easy because security is low) first, you are going to have to track down someone who has one. You could ask around, but that would be pretty suspicious; And if sec catches them before you do it's unlikely the hand-tele will ever see the light of day again. On the other side of things, you could argue that there are two hand teles, and if you can't track down one you look for the other. But when I say an objective is good or bad I'm not referring to how easy it is to do.
It is difficult for me to tell if this is the pinnacle of all objectives or the worst objective ever.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Re: Is stealing the hand tele the best theft objective? Or perhaps the worst.

Post by saprasam » #617872

it's a speedrun objective
you either get it or you fail the objective permanently
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #617874

Because it’s useful, you can easily see who took it before you. Now you know who you need to kill and rob.
► Show Spoiler
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Post by Istoprocent1 » #617878

Between the options of the "best" and the "worst", it definitely is the "worst". I have posted about removing it as one in the ideas -> minor suggestions.

There are many problems with this objective:

a) heads who have to steal hand tele have a free objective if they take one roundstart.
b) once the hand teleporter is gone, good luck finding the one who got it - essentially you failed the objective 99% of the time.
c) hand teleporter being taken by sec/captain/heads and it doing nothing for the rest of the round, while other departments or individuals could actually use it such as space explorers/cargo/medbay.

The hand teleporter itself could use a change to reduce its utility for tiding such as only being able to teleport to set beacons rather than try-and-pray to teleport into secured areas.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #617888

there should be a traitor item that points to your objective
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Noodlecat
Byond Username: Noodlecat

Post by Noodlecat » #617899

cacogen wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:05 pm there should be a traitor item that points to your objective
This, give us this.

Also in general the hand tele is such a good getaway tool that I snag it even if I don’t need it for an objective.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #617902

Noodlecat wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:46 pm
cacogen wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:05 pm there should be a traitor item that points to your objective
This, give us this.
Better yet, we could add it as an app to an emaged tablet, similar to what nukies have with the disk. Once again elevating the emag to a god-tier item.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #618036

hand teles should have built in telebeacons that the console based teleporters can jump to, so you can hop in unannounced on your target and hope like hell it isnt the HOS who took it
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #618059

people who have a hand teleporter 99% of the time every single fucking shift

1.captain
2.research director
3.head of personnel
4.head of security
5.brick mortar

there ya go objective solved
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #618071

Kendrickorium wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:54 am 5.brick mortar
I feel like there's a story to tell behind this particular callout.
Also it made me die of laughter.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year