When did it become standard practice for miners to take the ORM to lavaland?

General SS13 Chat
Googles_Hands
Byond Username: Googles_Hands

When did it become standard practice for miners to take the ORM to lavaland?

Post by Googles_Hands » #621670

Maybe my alzheimers is starting to set in, but this trend, for miners to take the ORM to lavaland to skip the 20 second journey like the lazy fucks they are, seems rather new for me, am I just forgetfull or is this a new and annoying addition to the mining meta?
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Re: When did it become standard practice for miners to take the ORM to lavaland?

Post by Shadowflame909 » #621682

Now this is something I wouldn't mind a code pr/rule to disincentivize.

Im pretty sure it desyncs it from the stations ore silo too. So you have to manually take out the ores and filter them into one of the prolathes if you want to get any of your gamer gear

Miners sure can be lazy.
► Show Spoiler
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Re: When did it become standard practice for miners to take the ORM to lavaland?

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #621683

Spring/early summer 2021.
Googles_Hands

Post by Googles_Hands » #621688

Shadowflame909 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:06 pm Im pretty sure it desyncs it from the stations ore silo too.
It doesn't, but it would be a good way to make miners leave it on the station, I'd like that.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #621758

My experience is it happens less to save the journey, and more because otherwise you risk some grey tiding fuckwit thinking it's funny to steal the ORM and not being able to turn any thing in for an hour.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #621761

When they removed upgrades to orm
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #621792

keep the miners happy no matter what.

dont complain about things that make miners happy.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #621799

Googles_Hands wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:40 pm Maybe my alzheimers is starting to set in, but this trend, for miners to take the ORM to lavaland to skip the 20 second journey like the lazy fucks they are, seems rather new for me, am I just forgetfull or is this a new and annoying addition to the mining meta?
I regularly take it to the mining station because it lets me get back to mining faster once it's there. I don't have to wait for the shuttle ride, I can just dump ores and go browse the vendor, be back out to the monster-infested lava rock before the shuttle even departs.
Counterpoint: how is this annoying to you?
If you're the QM/Cargo staff: just build a wall where the ORM used to be. wow. so obnoxious.
If you're other staff: you can get the same materials from any protolathe on the station unless you're looking specifically for plasma combinations, which you can only get from science, engineering, and cargo protolathes as far as i'm aware.
Shadowflame909 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:06 pm Im pretty sure it desyncs it from the stations ore silo too.
No, it doesn't. I know this because there are some miners who take it to the mining station roundstart even though there's no point because you have to go back down to get a bluespace bag / plasma cutter anyway.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #621801

datorangebottle wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:38 pmcombinations, which you can only get from science, engineering, and cargo protolathes as far as i'm aware.
Which is more than half, since that only leaves out the Medical and Security protolathes.
Googles_Hands

Post by Googles_Hands » #621895

datorangebottle wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:38 pm Counterpoint: how is this annoying to you?
I am aware this is a personal gripe and there is no real objective issue. But I just dislike taking away the small bit of interaction that miners have left with the station, even if it's just a regular trip up to the station.

If miners were designed to be completely detached from the station we might as well put them on an unreachable z-level where they can transfer ore to the station remotely and have no way of getting on it so they can do their loot piñata in peace and tranquility.

But like I said, it's an personal opinion.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #621903

Googles_Hands wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:21 pm
datorangebottle wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:38 pm Counterpoint: how is this annoying to you?
I am aware this is a personal gripe and there is no real objective issue. But I just dislike taking away the small bit of interaction that miners have left with the station, even if it's just a regular trip up to the station.

If miners were designed to be completely detached from the station we might as well put them on an unreachable z-level where they can transfer ore to the station remotely and have no way of getting on it so they can do their loot piñata in peace and tranquility.

But like I said, it's an personal opinion.
that's a fair point. miners not having to interact with the station can be really annoying, especially if one is your target. Now that the detomatix isn't a one-hit kill for miners outside the station, it's a lot harder to get to them.

However, I often end up taking miner when I want to cool down after a particularly frustrating/stressful round of SS13, so that I don't have to deal with idiots and tiders as much. So I am a little biased.

That said, if you have one as your target, there are a few good ways to get to the mining station. Get access from the HoP, kill the quartermaster/HoP and steal their ID, have the QM order a conscription crate for you, use the public shuttle, kill someone with gulag access and use that shuttle instead, use the teleporter.

There are a lot of options, so I don't see this necessitating a code/policy change, but the simplest way to change it would be to make the ORM an immobile machine instead of allowing it to be unwrenched. This would mildly annoy pretty much every miner, though, in a thankless job where the only reason to mine is to find cool loot, because the station rarely does the bare minimum of mining research these days.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Googles_Hands

Post by Googles_Hands » #621944

datorangebottle wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:51 am This would mildly annoy pretty much every miner, though, in a thankless job where the only reason to mine is to find cool loot, because the station rarely does the bare minimum of mining research these days.
I'm somewhat opposed to that mindset, one shouldn't need the promise of gamer gear to do their job.

Also, basically all passive jobs (jobs where you don't need to interact with the crew in order to properly do your job) are thankless. Prime example of this is engineering, which only gets interacted with if power isn't flowing (i.e. they aren't doing their job).
This is one of the reasons the ORM should remain on the station, the more time miners spend away from lavaland and their loot grind.

The more time they spend interacting with the rest of the crew (which this game is inevitably about), forming connections. Maybe they think "Hey, im on the station, maybe I'll visit the kitchen for a meal and drink something at the bar instead of heading straight back down and eating some donk pockets there to get back on the grind fast" (I know, funny BarRP, but this was just an example, a lot of stuff can happen on the station)

I suppose miners don't have anything to do other than mine (which becomes obsolete after an hour max. because a mostly station only needs so much materials) and grind for dat loot, so I suppose you'd need to expand the mining gameplay as well. But in the end, I don't think making the ORM un-movable is the solution I am hoping for, more of a change in mindset of the miner players, but I suppose I might hope in vain for that.

But maybe these are all the ramblings of someone with a boomer mindset that thinks change bad.
Last edited by Googles_Hands on Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #621945

Googles_Hands wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:40 am
I'm somewhat opposed to that mindset, one shouldn't need the promise of gamer gear to do their job.
I don't think you know some of us...
Living God

Extraordinary Person

kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #621952

annoys me when miners do it because I can't easily grab alloys as an assistant
respect (let him do his thing)
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #621953

kinnebian wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:04 pm annoys me when miners do it because I can't easily grab alloys as an assistant
When did assistants get ORM ejection access
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #621955

Rohen_Tahir wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:13 pm
kinnebian wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:04 pm annoys me when miners do it because I can't easily grab alloys as an assistant
When they grabbed my a screwdriver and crowbar :twisted:
► Show Spoiler
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #621960

Pandarsenic wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:42 pm
datorangebottle wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:38 pmcombinations, which you can only get from science, engineering, and cargo protolathes as far as i'm aware.
Which is more than half, since that only leaves out the Medical and Security protolathes.
tfw when they forget about the service protolathe 😔
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #621965

Rohen_Tahir wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:13 pm
when you mug/ask a cargo tech
respect (let him do his thing)
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #621973

Googles_Hands wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:40 am Also, basically all passive jobs (jobs where you don't need to interact with the crew in order to properly do your job) are thankless. Prime example of this is engineering, which only gets interacted with if power isn't flowing (i.e. they aren't doing their job).
Not really invested in the disagreement, but engineers get more roundstart gamer gear than pretty much every other non-head job. Why do you think assistants are always trying to break into engineering?
► Show Spoiler
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #622017

RaveRadbury wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:55 pm
Pandarsenic wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:42 pm
tfw when they forget about the service protolathe 😔
Service protolathe isn't a real protolathe until it can make Night Vision Beer Goggles alongside the other departmental NVG HUDs.