Should Antags be something to fear, or a challenge to overcome?

General SS13 Chat
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Should Antags be something to fear, or a challenge to overcome?

Post by Shadowflame909 » #621923

If both, should there be a certain point in time that changes the dynamic from predator to prey? A specific element like grouping up/Hiding?

How servers play around with this concept definitely leads to the power scaling of the crew and the antagonist.
► Show Spoiler
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Re: Should Antags be something to fear, or a challenge to overcome?

Post by Farquaar » #621924

I think they should be either or both, depending on the circumstances of the round.
► Show Spoiler
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #621925

Farquaar wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:25 am I think they should be either or both, depending on the circumstances of the round.
when the antagonist is literally a japanese horror movie villain (you cant win!)
► Show Spoiler
But then you get the power up that allows you to copy its abilities but use them for good and jump them
NSFW:
► Show Spoiler
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #621928

Depends on the antag because some were built with one more in mind than the other
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #621929

Antags should be something to fear when I play them and a challenge to overcome when someone else plays them

Serious answer: I think there should be a mix of antags that start very fast, but wither under lategame station gear (Traitor's 20 TCs only go so far when the HoS convinces medical to implant X-ray Eyes and swaps between Sec Sunglasses and Sec NVGs)
antags that are a massive threat on their own at ANY stage of the game (Wizard, Nuke/Solo Operative)
antags that start pretty mellow but ramp up the more they're allowed to rampage (Heretic is the key example, but Changelings getting genomes + spiders counts, too)

That's before we address, of course, conversion antags, one of the most... controversial... antag varieties, in terms of popular opinion. They have unrelated problems.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #621971

I'm of the opinion that "overcoming" the threat antagonists pose is generally a bad thing to occur for a round.
It's why we have midround antagonists to ensure that the threat is never truly overcame.

We have enough players who early call because "im bored" already - a threat breathing down your neck is fine as a driver for conflict.
However, once that threat makes itself blatantly known via going loud, that's your challenge to overcome. Blobs getting noticed or announced, a traitor whipping out his desword and slapping on his anti-clown shoes, etc.

You're capable of driving your own story, antagonists are capable of driving the round's story - when these stories interact is when you should be thinking about starting to overcome that which lies in your way or something i dunno i dont have a design document
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #622011

Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:35 pm I'm of the opinion that "overcoming" the threat antagonists pose is generally a bad thing to occur for a round.
It's why we have midround antagonists to ensure that the threat is never truly overcame.

We have enough players who early call because "im bored" already - a threat breathing down your neck is fine as a driver for conflict.
However, once that threat makes itself blatantly known via going loud, that's your challenge to overcome. Blobs getting noticed or announced, a traitor whipping out his desword and slapping on his anti-clown shoes, etc.

You're capable of driving your own story, antagonists are capable of driving the round's story - when these stories interact is when you should be thinking about starting to overcome that which lies in your way or something i dunno i dont have a design document
It's more than that though.
Blob is you vs the station, so is Wizard. Nuke ops is you and your team against the world.
It's your job to make the round interesting, to make things fun. If you fuck up, and die 5 minutes in as wiz and end the round, you are disappointing everyone else.
As for being a traitor or changeling, it's just permission to fuck around