Does heretic need to be buffed? (I ded topic)

General SS13 Chat
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Does heretic need to be buffed? (I ded topic)

Post by Shadowflame909 » #622282

None of the skills seem to edge out the heretic against regular crewmembers, let alone security.

Maybe stun batons are just too op.

Your thoughts?
► Show Spoiler
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Re: Does heretic need to be buffed? (I ded topic)

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #622286

Stun batons are OP. They are the most effective weapon available in every plausible 1 on 1 combat scenario and are by far the most powerful melee weapon available to anyone round start.

The only real counterplay they have is the ability to quickly teleport yourself out of the way after you get hit, which the heretic can do by blade breaking. However, stockpiling blades and breaking them over and over again is boring to do and sucks to play against, yet this is the most effective way to play heretic. And thus, we reveal the fundamental issue with heretic balance.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #622294

stun meta is win meta
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #622300

Shadowflame909 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:56 pm None of the skills seem to edge out the heretic against regular crewmembers, let alone security.

Maybe stun batons are just too op.

Your thoughts?
Their tools are great. They just have a couple of issues. The first problem is that heretics are disincentivized from using their tools early on because being undiscovered is the best way to stay alive as one. The second problem is that side paths are discouraged because they slow down your ascension. They're best played as ambush hunters and their toolkits incentivize this.
Just look at the first few abilities: Ash gets its jaunt to get anywhere it wants, ash and flesh get thermals so they can more easily see incoming threats, flesh gets a small army to help it trick people and overwhelm them, void gets to ambush people from any direction it wants(along with armor in-pressure), and rust can prepare an area so that ambushes turn out in their favor thanks to their stun resist, armor, and easy healing.
Now look at how many of those are side paths: the thermals, all of void's armor, and extra armor/healing on the rust path. they all pretty much get skipped. looking further down the list, carving knives and cauldrons should be a lot more common for how powerful they are, but they often get skipped because they're in the side path and people just wanna waltz.

Though, there is a change I want to make to the void path specifically. I feel like the invisible cloak being pressure proof would have better synergies with the rest of its kit than it having storage space / suit storage knife. Spending an extra point to get invisible pressure proof armor(and nothing else) seems reasonable to me, especially since it shows up in strip searches and doesn't make knives in the suit slot invisible currently.

TL;DR: heretics fine, buy into the side paths if you want stronger options, please give void the ability to craft a pressure suit, thank you for coming to my TED talk.
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:13 pm The only real counterplay they have is the ability to quickly teleport yourself out of the way after you get hit
just stinky hand them into dropping their batong, then hit them with their own batong(high risk high reward gameplay).
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #622472

The issue is that they're too easily outed, I think. You're forced to carry around your book and hearts with you, but they offer no defensive or offensive value and make you valid once seen. Traitors may be caught with items that make them valid, but these items are always weapons or defensive tools that can also help in the fight/escape.

The book and heart(s) should be integrated within the heretic somehow, so they can't be found to easily valid some poor shiftstart heretic that got seen putting his heart in his bag.
Spoiler:
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #622500

both the above posts sum everything up extremely well

also ffs stop whining about stun batons they have literally been around for like a fucking decade at this point, and used to just point blank down you immediately like a taser. unironically get good.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #622646

every security officer used to get a taser which held five shots and each one stunned for 20 seconds. the baton stunned immediately for 20 seconds. handcuffs took 2 minutes to resist out of. harmbatoning stunned and could be used to chainstun people with an uncharged baton while beating them to death.

with the current baton you can't hit someone more than every couple of seconds, it takes two hits to stun someone completely and they get a full second of mobility before they're downed. i'm not sure how long the stun is now but it's amazing people still think the baton is overpowered after the amount of nerfs it's had over the years
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #622703

Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:06 pm both the above posts sum everything up extremely well

also ffs stop whining about stun batons they have literally been around for like a fucking decade at this point, and used to just point blank down you immediately like a taser. unironically get good.
I formally withdraw my statement that batons are OP after playing a single cult round where I only hit people with the dagger and managed to kill 3 sec-offs because wounds are sick. I got good thank you.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #622808

You really need maint access to do your job as Heretic is what I find. Without having the means to travel quickly from various departments to other locations you kind of are just fucked when it comes to most targets, who are most likely behind doors with accesses you don't have. Also, heretic's slow start usually just means most heretics get put down early before they can even defend themselves. I personally think the higher rift count worked better because it created competition between the heretics and let them get some power into their kit before they have to kill people (even though it had the issue that fire heretic would just get them all using their teleport). Now that it got nerfed, Heretic really suffers earlygame, especially depending on what route you take, as you don't really have the access and mobility required to get to your target in a timely manner. I'd argue it's too slow to get out of the early game for most paths and jobs, which stagnates the round since all those heretics can't do anything and are stuck twiddling their thumbs waiting for an opening.

If I were personally asked what I would do, I'd make rifts more plentiful again to get heretics to like a mid-point where they're powerful enough to kill targets but not powerful enough to start winning a 1vall. If they have to go get rifts first, it buys the crew some time to sus out possible targets and advance department goals before the heretics come swinging. Only issue with it is again, the rift system really favors fire heretics more than anyone else. Also, I'd include some way for each heretic type to be able to reliably get to their target so that having a certain role doesn't make or break your gameplan, that'd also help balance my first suggestion.

But yeah, being the progression-based antag, they suck at progressing. Makes me worry about what's coming for traitors, I feel like if they don't get a handle on it its going to create a bunch of boring rounds where every antag gets put down before they get to do anything, especially since heretic and traitor seem to be the most popular antag picks by Dynamic Mode.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #622825

Another issue I found is the mansus grasp will hit floor tiles, even if it's not the rust mansus grasp. Actually makes it quite harder to hit someone than if you'd used a stunbaton or something which doesn't hit floor tiles.
Spoiler:
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #622831

Agree with a lot of what has been said, especially the floor tile thing. The optimal way to play heretic currently is to fight with zero heretic tools as none of them are effective enough to be worth validing yourself over. Funny hand on objects should be moved to right click to prevent slapping the floor with your only stun option, and the cooldown should be lessened to make it slightly more on par with a stun baton. I also think the sickle is too weak to be an effective combat tool when it instantly signals to everyone in the room "shove this loser over and they die", though if mansus grasp was buffed this might be less of an issue.
Weston Echard on Sybil
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Post by Kryson » #623291

I disagree that sidepaths are useless, some of the best abilities are in the side paths.

Taking priest's ritual is virtually required for playing rust for example, it is one of the best abilities and allows you to access jaunt.

Armorers ritual also very good once you loud.

Blood cleave will let you kill any validhunter by just kiting them and cleaving.

The main problems is stinkers in the main tree like mark of rust, raw ritual and aristocrats way(debatable).
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #623293

Indie-ana Jones wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:21 am But yeah, being the progression-based antag, they suck at progressing. Makes me worry about what's coming for traitors, I feel like if they don't get a handle on it its going to create a bunch of boring rounds where every antag gets put down before they get to do anything, especially since heretic and traitor seem to be the most popular antag picks by Dynamic Mode.
I think the lack of acknowledgment in the design of both Heretics and Traitors for 'what if it goes wrong' is maybe deliberate. I get the impression that failure is meant to be expected, which explains the lack of emergency tools and the moving away from them being available.

New Traitors still have those *to a point*. Heretics only have blade break but that ends up in a death spiral of sorts. Both antags are just tiders with weapons. And tiding is both obvious, easy to punish and implicates you easily. How easily you can implicate yourself and how much you need to expose yourself is the downfall of any of these progression antags we keep getting. The fact heretics come prepackaged with meta items is the best example of how fundamentally someone missed the point of treating these antags as a thing to be deduced. If it is as simple as a bag search without giving the option to avoid it (aka storage inplant), you have fucked up.

If nobody gives a shit about 'how do I hide the fact that I'm a bad guy' and the person designing this just goes 'lol you dont and you must give yourself away to progress', we may as well not bother playing these roles if they only serve to get fucked up by redshirts and validhunters.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #623294

So the main issue is. 1. Their skills stinky. 2. Their dead upon a bag search/No subtlety whatsoever
► Show Spoiler
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #623311

sinfulbliss wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:46 pm The book and heart(s) should be integrated within the heretic somehow, so they can't be found to easily valid some poor shiftstart heretic that got seen putting his heart in his bag.
i think the issue with the heart being integrated with the heretic is that it deletes the current "spam hearts to have an easier time killing/finding targets" meta. Which makes the antagonist a lot harder. Their sacrifice/hunting mechanics would have to be reworked at that point.
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:06 pm also ffs stop whining about stun batons they have literally been around for like a fucking decade at this point, and used to just point blank down you immediately like a taser. unironically get good.
for all their nerfing, they're still one of the most powerful melee weapons and pretending that they're not leagues more powerful than heretic's funny hand + knife combo isn't helping anything.
Indie-ana Jones wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:21 am You really need maint access to do your job as Heretic is what I find. Without having the means to travel quickly from various departments to other locations you kind of are just fucked when it comes to most targets, who are most likely behind doors with accesses you don't have.
The other half of that is, it helps to have dark places to murder someone so that when a guy screams for help, the AI can't just check for them on cams and be like, "oh hey Urist McHeretic is murdering someone in botany." Then again, at least half my heretic kills are me chucking spears at unsuspecting maint crawlers, so.
Kryson wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:05 pm I disagree that sidepaths are useless, some of the best abilities are in the side paths.
I didn't say they were useless, I said they were discouraged by the antag's design.
Shadowflame909 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:51 pm So the main issue is. 1. Their skills stinky. 2. Their dead upon a bag search/No subtlety whatsoever
3. they need to acquire access to get just about anything done, but don't have good enough ways of getting it, unlike any other solo antagonist. Lings can use their armblade or ventcrawl, wizards have a million ways of opening doors and walls, traitors are literally breaking and entering: the antagonist... hell, even side antagonists have better ways of getting into places they don't have default access to, with nightmare's jaunt and ninja's doorjack.
All of heretic's early access is attached to extremely conspicuous abilities with long cooldowns(and nonrust heretics get access to ONE of these), so if you want to go into maint you have to hope the HoP is willing to turn the other cheek, acquire tools, or murder someone with maint access before getting any heretic goodies.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #623312

People who are talking about when tasers instastunned, you should remember that back in the day almost everyone had an instastun too. For example, stunbaton was nothing compared to e-bow, bulldog stun shell, parasting gaming, and more. It's still valid to say it is one of the best melee items when it can incapacitate someone after two swings, because quite simply: There are no longer items that incapacitate in one.*************

* there are but for the most part... you know
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #623321

So anyway, I wrote up a document because I have way too much time on my hands.

cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #623324

heretic is bad
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #623352

Heretic is kind of okay its just that there are alot of pitfalls / noob traps that come with it.

Rust for example baits people into thinking that they are a juggernaut that can fight in their own territory (Then lose to baton unless you have access to chems/genetics/misc counters that are in the form of mobility to escape) - and some shuttles/tiles they cant even spread their rust onto so they are at a huge disadvantage even when ascended, infact the healing from being a rust heretic isnt even that good considering that it doesnt do anything for wounds and your only real option is to not get hit in the first place.

Armorer`s ritual is okay-ish but its bait since heretic needs to be able to walk up to people and start killing them without them expecting it, you NEED sacrifices where people dont call for help this is what most heretics live and die by , plus that armor isnt really gonna do anything for you against a stun baton, youre just blatantly painting a target on your head and getting no benefit.

Ash heretics ive seen use their "jaunt" ability while batoned and then be unable to move then reappear in the same spot so many times, they always hold onto it thinking that its a last resort against batons when that is not the case.

Batons/Stunprods/Cablecuffs are unironically a heretic`s best weapon and blades are just for shattering, this is because you are much more likely to be able to just baton/shovestun then cable cuff your target then take off their radio without anyone caring and thinking its just some IC feud.

That and playing as a heretic often forces the player to be rushed and speedrun literally every single thing they do since they need to tide multiple places to get their gear and then acquire whatever they can from their base job that they think will help them out, then "hope" that the round lasts more than 30 minutes as there is always some invisible count down to when command staff stub their toe and call or dynamic decides to spawn a bunch of BS midround antags despite round start ones still trying to do their thing.

Flesh I think is ironically good if you convert a player that knows how to help you, because no matter how low health your thralls are, if you can disguise them and equip them with batons that is a guaranteed way to get stuff done, more people on your team with funny shock stick is a good thing and if you cant get them a funny shock stick they can work for you indirectly and all of a sudden you have have a bunch of advantages that would have otherwise required you to invest YOUR time into, in the span of 20-30 minutes a single thrall could subvert the ai, make you chems, make a circuit teleporter for you, build a safe room for you, sabotage the powernet/sm, gather ingredients for your blades, max cap the brig, etc.

Void is good simply because it gives easier access to space + its blades are the easiest to mass craft for breaking + it has a mute ability.

Tldr heretic is a stealth antag that relies on minmaxing their chances of getting targets without them calling for help and defensive buffs/healing means nothing and flesh can be one of the best/worst paths if you do feel like gambling with your thralls.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #623410

datorangebottle wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:56 pm i think the issue with the heart being integrated with the heretic is that it deletes the current "spam hearts to have an easier time killing/finding targets" meta. Which makes the antagonist a lot harder. Their sacrifice/hunting mechanics would have to be reworked at that point.
The idea would be you could make more hearts and integrate those as well, take them out etc. like a storage implant or something.
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #623604

just because things were way worse in the past doesn't mean stunbatons now are fine either.
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #623607

oranges wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:04 pm just because things were way worse in the past doesn't mean stunbatons now are fine either.
I was under the impression that you were an advocate for stun batons being the dominant weapon for use in melee combat.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #623701

reasons i dont like heretic

rigid and doesn't allow the same level of gimmickry compared to traitor, changeling, nuke ops, wiz or any other antag

it really do just be sac and get on with it

boring antag, devil was funner than this

I genuinely believe it should be removed
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #623738

I think heretic just needs some anti sec buffs. Higher armor pen on the blade would be very helpful while not causing normal crew to die too much faster. Heretics also definitely need their starting gear merged into passive traits, or just a better way to hide them. The requirement to slap nodes with your book could easily be removed and changed to just touching them like any normal crew member that doesnt value their hands. The living heart could either be merged into an innate ability, like pulling your own heart out of your chest to use it (cool unique flavor!), or just force heretics to craft living hearts with a cheaper craft. Nothing sucks more than getting bag checked before you have done anything because officer validhunter decided seeing one heretic node was reason to bag check every crew member
Weston Echard on Sybil
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #624642

I think, in theme of a progression antags. Those heretic veils should be hidden until 30 minutes into the round.

Sec saw one in science and instantly set the entire science department to arrest, then bag searched them one by one.

Traitors don't even get exposed that fast, and they have stronger gear!
► Show Spoiler
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #630480

Shadowflame909 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:21 am I think, in theme of a progression antags. Those heretic veils should be hidden until 30 minutes into the round.

Sec saw one in science and instantly set the entire science department to arrest, then bag searched them one by one.

Traitors don't even get exposed that fast, and they have stronger gear!
heretics kill people more then traitors.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #630498

oranges wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:04 pm just because things were way worse in the past doesn't mean stunbatons now are fine either.
I think the window you get to try and do something important after you've been stunned is a really good mechanic that introduces a bit of desperate counterplay.

I wonder if maybe forcing stun batons to self-charge like airlock authentication cards would be a good balancing mechanism. Like you have three hits you can use in quick succession but then they have a much longer wind up time. This favours bursts of activity (making arrests in a crowded hallway) while giving antagonists something to exploit (Either counting baps or making the stun baton make a noise or go red when it's recharging and they're vulnerable.

This is only if you think batons need further nerfing, I don't know that I agree with that because on both sides of the fight I'm generally satisfied with batons, they feel oppressive but not unbeatable as an antag, and still critical for security
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #630512

Stickymayhem wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:49 am I wonder if maybe forcing stun batons to self-charge like airlock authentication cards would be a good balancing mechanism.
people would steal 4 batons instead of 2 now from lockers, not a great balance but a semi ok idea.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #630516

heretic reminds me of dishonored but high chaos runs only no stealth

If I could possess a rat heretic would be the best antag that ever lived tbqh
► Show Spoiler
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #630535

Jonathan Gupta wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:53 pm
Stickymayhem wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:49 am I wonder if maybe forcing stun batons to self-charge like airlock authentication cards would be a good balancing mechanism.
people would steal 4 batons instead of 2 now from lockers, not a great balance but a semi ok idea.
The security belt has a single baton slot and the baton only charges in the belt

Or admins dunk for being annoying powergamers
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #630541

Stickymayhem wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:57 pm
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:53 pm
The security belt has a single baton slot and the baton only charges in the belt

Or admins dunk for being annoying powergamers
New meta 4 sec belts in the bag.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #630542

DONT MAKE THE BELTS BULKY STICKYYYYY
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #630546

Jonathan Gupta wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:48 pm DONT MAKE THE BELTS BULKY STICKYYYYY
;)
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #631235

Shadowflame909 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:23 pm heretic reminds me of dishonored but high chaos runs only no stealth

If I could possess a rat heretic would be the best antag that ever lived tbqh
honestly, that could be an interesting replacement for one of the curses- a spell to shapeshift into/possess small ventcrawl things.