Do gas masks block vision now

General SS13 Chat
BasedBro1337
Byond Username: Estatik

Do gas masks block vision now

Post by BasedBro1337 » #624846

I haven't played in almost a year. Is this true?
Donpedrito
Byond Username: Donpedrito

Re: Do gas masks block vision now

Post by Donpedrito » #624864

Gas masks now apply an FOV: Basically, the around 90 degrees behind your character, you can no longer see people, so they could sneak up to you. You can still see items and stuff behind you.
It’s a really cool effect; as I understand it, getting it to hide just people rather than making it a black cone where you can’t see anything was complicated to code.
BasedBro1337
Byond Username: Estatik

Post by BasedBro1337 » #624865

Donpedrito wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:24 pm Gas masks now apply an FOV: Basically, the around 90 degrees behind your character, you can no longer see people, so they could sneak up to you. You can still see items and stuff behind you.
It’s a really cool effect; as I understand it, getting it to hide just people rather than making it a black cone where you can’t see anything was complicated to code.
I see. Thanks for the info.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #625077

Yeah, it's basically made them incredibly disadvantageous to use. Instead of using job gas masks (e.g. the atmos tech's and shaft miner's), you're better off using the breath mask that comes in most jobs' boxes. I like the effect, but applying it to gas masks was dumb and misguided. Nobody uses them to disguise. There are subtler ways of hiding your face.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #625104

If you want to get around it, just get R&D to make Welding Gas Masks.

You can breathe through them, eat while breathing through them, hide your identity, and flip the visor to weld, all with no visual restrictions.

R&D strong.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Notgonnabreaktherule
Byond Username: Notgonnabreaktherules2

Post by Notgonnabreaktherule » #625260

Pandarsenic wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:21 am If you want to get around it, just get R&D to make Welding Gas Masks.

You can breathe through them, eat while breathing through them, hide your identity, and flip the visor to weld, all with no visual restrictions.

R&D strong.
or just break into mining and get the closest thing to old gasmask, sunglasses are cooler than weldingmasks anyways
resident european on basil
► Show Spoiler
do not take books from me
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #625711

Pandarsenic wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:21 am If you want to get around it, just get R&D to make Welding Gas Masks.

R&D strong.
DELETE YOUR COMMENT RIGHT NOW LEST THE CODERS FIND OUT AND FURTHER RUIN THE CODEBASE
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #625729

Flatulent wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:49 pm

R&D strong.
DELETE YOUR COMMENT RIGHT NOW LEST THE CODERS FIND OUT AND FURTHER RUIN THE CODEBASE
I think welding gas masks already got nerfed from where they originally were by being moved to a more demanding node but I couldn't say for sure

But if R&D can't even make the good gas mask (which most people don't use) with research, the department is basically useless
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #625735

R&D strong.
Yeah, I always swap my mask out for one of these once they become available. Never to circumvent the newfound gas mask FOV change though, because I wouldn't be wearing a gas mask now to begin with.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #625880

They should really be named advanced gas masks