Does any other server have better security bots?

General SS13 Chat
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Does any other server have better security bots?

Post by Helios » #625912

I understand secborg was unpopular, and had to go.
Has anyone else handled the security borg in a way people enjoyed? Something that was both fun to fight as, and fight against.
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Re: Does any other server have better security bots?

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #625945

Well there IS always a downstream with secborgs, but that downstream is skyrat.

Your choice forums man
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #625949

Some people enjoy voredogs
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #625963

Rohen_Tahir wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:55 am Some people enjoy voredogs

🤨
Living God

Extraordinary Person

confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #627572

I've played servers which keep secborgs, servers which replaced it with a forensics cyborg that's supposed to avoid combat, and a server with a real weird hybrid ai-secborg thing. I'd say not really; hell, even peacekeeper borgs are a shitty meme borg more than anything. It's a shame, since secborgs are cool and I miss seeing their design. It's just that borg laws don't work well with security *and* the balance of cyborgs also don't work well with security.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #627716

confused rock wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:00 pm I've played servers which keep secborgs, servers which replaced it with a forensics cyborg that's supposed to avoid combat, and a server with a real weird hybrid ai-secborg thing. I'd say not really; hell, even peacekeeper borgs are a shitty meme borg more than anything. It's a shame, since secborgs are cool and I miss seeing their design. It's just that borg laws don't work well with security *and* the balance of cyborgs also don't work well with security.
I think it kinda hits it on the head that no matter how studiously law obedient players get, a "security" borg just isnt gonna fly well, because borgs whole shebang is "Does department job better but only in a narrow focused way"... and for a sec borg that means combat. And a borg that is good at combat is a weapon pointed at everyone else because unlike security, borgs are not sec-aligned and are easily turned bad, in addition to being roundstart antag capable.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #627795

I think the real issue is how stun-based combat used to/currently works and cyborgs being immune to the usual arsenal. Say we re-add secborgs exactly as we left them with no changes, so they'll have a stun baton and disabler. Any criminal that doesn't have a flash is essentially screwed by the existence of the borg because there's no way way without a hardstun they can do 200 damage to the cyborg to kill without it stunning them or leaving the fight. Even with a flash, secborg's disabler essentially spells doom for their foe since they can fight at long range and still be effective (something no other borg can do, important to note for later) while their adversaries most likely do not have access to a ranged physical damage attack. Because the flash is the only thing stopping a secborg and it has a tool to completely circumvent getting in melee range unlike most borgs, secborgs are extremely difficult to win against and extremely easy to perform well with. This doesn't even take into account the borg having a human co-worker with it to shore up its weaknesses.

So pretty much if you were to remove the disabler, then you're left with a borg with one of the best melee weapons in the game and a lack of a ranged utility outside of screwing with machines. This would essentially be a "do you have a flash?" check for the criminal because otherwise they just lose since the borg otherwise can't be stunned by common means. This however carries over to pretty much all cyborgs, so arguably this would make sense among the current cyborg line-up? I think one could argue the case, but then the existence of the secborg essentially just means that there would be a lot more cases for people to see how stupid linear cyborg combat is even compared to even an already stupid system of two-hit batonning carbons, and then they would complain. Their complaints wouldn't be invalid either, but yeah, having secborgs back would lead to more unsavory encounters with borg combat since we'd be adding back a role which will try to force it as much of it as possible onto people.

I do think, however, if those cyborg changes that existed then didn't ever came back around, a melee-only version of the secborg could one day be acceptable since criminals would have other ways to stop the insurmountable borg other than having a flash or dying. Of course, you'd probably have to ban a good handful of shitters from using secborg, but a good player who understands what asimov means to them as both borg and security member could exist without being too awful. The one thing I would note is having an asimov borg always with them might actually make security more mad then glad though, because it'll entail a lot of sec members trying to kill say a heretic or cult member before the secborg whisks them away to safety because they're human (something I do as a borg even with nuke ops, to the annoyance of some). That's also not even considering that same scenario where the sec member isn't human but the perp is, either.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #627811

Indie-ana Jones wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:48 am I think the real issue is how stun-based combat used to/currently works and cyborgs being immune to the usual arsenal. Say we re-add secborgs exactly as we left them with no changes, so they'll have a stun baton and disabler. Any criminal that doesn't have a flash is essentially screwed by the existence of the borg because there's no way way without a hardstun they can do 200 damage to the cyborg to kill without it stunning them or leaving the fight. Even with a flash, secborg's disabler essentially spells doom for their foe since they can fight at long range and still be effective (something no other borg can do, important to note for later) while their adversaries most likely do not have access to a ranged physical damage attack. Because the flash is the only thing stopping a secborg and it has a tool to completely circumvent getting in melee range unlike most borgs, secborgs are extremely difficult to win against and extremely easy to perform well with. This doesn't even take into account the borg having a human co-worker with it to shore up its weaknesses.

So pretty much if you were to remove the disabler, then you're left with a borg with one of the best melee weapons in the game and a lack of a ranged utility outside of screwing with machines. This would essentially be a "do you have a flash?" check for the criminal because otherwise they just lose since the borg otherwise can't be stunned by common means. This however carries over to pretty much all cyborgs, so arguably this would make sense among the current cyborg line-up? I think one could argue the case, but then the existence of the secborg essentially just means that there would be a lot more cases for people to see how stupid linear cyborg combat is even compared to even an already stupid system of two-hit batonning carbons, and then they would complain. Their complaints wouldn't be invalid either, but yeah, having secborgs back would lead to more unsavory encounters with borg combat since we'd be adding back a role which will try to force it as much of it as possible onto people.

I do think, however, if those cyborg changes that existed then didn't ever came back around, a melee-only version of the secborg could one day be acceptable since criminals would have other ways to stop the insurmountable borg other than having a flash or dying. Of course, you'd probably have to ban a good handful of shitters from using secborg, but a good player who understands what asimov means to them as both borg and security member could exist without being too awful. The one thing I would note is having an asimov borg always with them might actually make security more mad then glad though, because it'll entail a lot of sec members trying to kill say a heretic or cult member before the secborg whisks them away to safety because they're human (something I do as a borg even with nuke ops, to the annoyance of some). That's also not even considering that same scenario where the sec member isn't human but the perp is, either.
Well why not have the sec borg act more like the detective?
Scanning blood to find out who is dead, scan for fingerprints on the laser gun to find out who's it is. Forensics cyborg.
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #627821

i like the idea of a forensics borg as our actual fucking detectives never seem to do shit

on sybil at least
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #627835

Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:19 pm i like the idea of a forensics borg as our actual fucking detectives never seem to do shit

on sybil at least
this is more to do with the forensics gameplay being pretty bad, so detective tends to act like a security officer with a different uniform
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #627837

oranges wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:16 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:19 pm i like the idea of a forensics borg as our actual fucking detectives never seem to do shit

on sybil at least
this is more to do with the forensics gameplay being pretty bad, so detective tends to act like a security officer with a different uniform
I would play the fuck out of a forsensics Borg, but I also play virologist a lot so /shrug

Recalling my experience on other servers, secborgs tend to show up and be appreciated when they're not expected to appear out of nowhere and robust the shit out of someone, either from RP standards or from non-Asimov law sets.

I cannot in good conscience ever condone secborgs, but forensics borgs would rock.

Maybe we could trial giving the peacekeeper cyborg a forensic scanner module?
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #627874

Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:50 am Well there IS always a downstream with secborgs, but that downstream is skyrat.

Your choice forums man
we finally killed secborgs down there
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #628286

Helios wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:52 pm
Indie-ana Jones wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:48 am I think the real issue is how stun-based combat used to/currently works and cyborgs being immune to the usual arsenal. Say we re-add secborgs exactly as we left them with no changes, so they'll have a stun baton and disabler. Any criminal that doesn't have a flash is essentially screwed by the existence of the borg because there's no way way without a hardstun they can do 200 damage to the cyborg to kill without it stunning them or leaving the fight. Even with a flash, secborg's disabler essentially spells doom for their foe since they can fight at long range and still be effective (something no other borg can do, important to note for later) while their adversaries most likely do not have access to a ranged physical damage attack. Because the flash is the only thing stopping a secborg and it has a tool to completely circumvent getting in melee range unlike most borgs, secborgs are extremely difficult to win against and extremely easy to perform well with. This doesn't even take into account the borg having a human co-worker with it to shore up its weaknesses.

Well why not have the sec borg act more like the detective?
Scanning blood to find out who is dead, scan for fingerprints on the laser gun to find out who's it is. Forensics cyborg.
Those are one of the borgs I was referring to having. It.. avoids the direct issue of it being unfair to fight a borg which has a baton, and nothing else. it still acts like sec to the best of its ability, being able to let sec into the armory and other places they shouldn't be, flashing baddies, etc. Forensics is barely a job so all it can do is just be unarmed secborg.

Your best bet for secborgs is MAYBE as a rare station trait that also gives the AI robocop or something.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #630454

Sec Borgs were banned because of doodoo players which is why it’s a config issue and not a code one (else we would have removed them by now)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #630459

oranges wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:16 pm

on sybil at least
Detective should be able to go into an out of body experience and see the ghostly outlines of a players movement. Like that one static outline hallucination that runs away.
► Show Spoiler
chesse20
Byond Username: Laserdog

Post by chesse20 » #631305

the security "vore dogs" are fine, should be test merged for a month on tgstation to see if its a good alternate to secborg, who knows might be extremely good for the server
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #631319

chesse20 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:44 pm
the security "vore dogs" are fine, should be test merged for a month on tgstation to see if its a good alternate to secborg, who knows might be extremely good for the server
I have never seen you before but you make me very uncomfortable.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #631363

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:49 pm
chesse20 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:44 pm
I have never seen you before but you make me very uncomfortable.
they use their second life insect queen OC to comment on things, they are very weird.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #631365

Forensics Module for Peacekeeper borgs test merge WHEN
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #631471

what the fuck are voredogs
Googles_Hands
Byond Username: Googles_Hands

Post by Googles_Hands » #631476

cacogen wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:22 am what the fuck are voredogs
You know CM xenos that can "vore" humans to carry them to a facehugger/hive? They are like that but fucking worse and played by some big weirdos.