Boxstation should have variants

General SS13 Chat
Highway Routine
Byond Username: Holes in the light

Boxstation should have variants

Post by Highway Routine » #631438

IceBox station is currently the only station that is on a planet that isn't lavaland. Lavaland is overrated it's used everywhere.

I think that the boxes should be stations that are on planets.

And it has the perfect naming convention, say it's in a desert, you call it HotBox, In a Jungle, JungleBox.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Highway Routine on Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Re: Boxstation have variants

Post by cacogen » #631440

yeah we need a proper ice box where the station is a winter wonderland and everything outside is desert and the inside is marginally more hospitable than the outside so it's like an oasis and if you go outside for too long you get heat starvation sickness and die
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #631539

Man, it would be sick if we could put space box into rotation.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #631544

Wouldn't it be cool if we detached the station from the environment in map rotation code.

could get ice delta, could get spacebox, might even have lava-meta!
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #631547

MrStonedOne wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:08 pm Wouldn't it be cool if we detached the station from the environment in map rotation code.

brooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
EOBGames
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: EOBGames

Post by EOBGames » #631554

MrStonedOne wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:08 pm Wouldn't it be cool if we detached the station from the environment in map rotation code.

Sounds like a good way to end up with a station interior that's entirely divorced from its planetary surroundings rather than something that feels like a planetary outpost. That's already a fairly big issue with icebox in my eyes, and certainly isn't something I'd like to just make a problem on all the other maps on nothing more than a whim and a "wouldn't this be cool".
Everyone's favourite internewt. Je maptiendrai.
In the rare event that I'm on the server, I'm either Inept-At-Job or Kayden Riker. Accept no substitutes.
If you've gotta contact me, hit me up on discord, as I don't really check forum DMs: @Emerald_or_Bust#1314
Spoiler:
Beware the Chilledstation, for it approaches.
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #631559

EOBGames wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:12 pm

Sounds like a good way to end up with a station interior that's entirely divorced from its planetary surroundings rather than something that feels like a planetary outpost. That's already a fairly big issue with icebox in my eyes, and certainly isn't something I'd like to just make a problem on all the other maps on nothing more than a whim and a "wouldn't this be cool".
Emergent gameplay
► Show Spoiler
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #631560

i want to make a version of icebox that replaces all the ice with miasma tiles so any time anyone opens an exterior airlock the station fills with stank
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #631567

nianjiilical wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:21 am i want to make a version of icebox that replaces all the ice with miasma tiles so any time anyone opens an exterior airlock the station fills with stank
SwampStation when?
► Show Spoiler
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #631574

I still dream of a 2 station map. 2fort, for the next time a tide arrives and we can have 100 player servers regularly.
If there's big enough a server population you can man 2 stations
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #631575

Helios wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:26 am I still dream of a 2 station map. 2fort, for the next time a tide arrives and we can have 100 player servers regularly.
https://youtu.be/h3p_9-R_siI?t=7
► Show Spoiler
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #631583

Helios wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:26 am I still dream of a 2 station map. 2fort, for the next time a tide arrives and we can have 100 player servers regularly.
This is what Tram should've been. Two separate maps that have a big-ass train running between them. Then the tram would actually have a purpose.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #631601

The tram has a purpose, to bottleneck interdepartmental movement and hit people who try to bypass it.
nianjiilical wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:21 am i want to make a version of icebox that replaces all the ice with miasma tiles so any time anyone opens an exterior airlock the station fills with stank
I sometimes call Ice Box Ass Box because they sound similar but this would be the true actualisation of that
Helios wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:26 am I still dream of a 2 station map.
I wanted something similar once upon a time. But they have to be competing, so it would be about more than just making a map. They’d need separate R&D and supply shuttles, for example. And an abundance of resources the other station lacked to force them to interact, either through violence or diplomacy. It may be quite based
EOBGames wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:12 pm Sounds like a good way to end up with a station interior that's entirely divorced from its planetary surroundings rather than something that feels like a planetary outpost.
Wish I knew what you meant by this specifically. Ice Box is the most interesting and innovative map we have.

The other stations being copy pasted onto different turfs would be good even if they looked like they dropped out of orbit.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #631629

Yes, there would have to be 2 supply shuttles and R&D. It would be quite difficult.
What I mean by 2 fort is both sides competing. Both sides have a nuclear authentication disk, and a code, which when entered into the other stations nuke blows it up, and the other station wins.
It could be distinguished by uniform color. Red team and blue team. It could also Clown vs Mime. It could be Humans vs Lizardmen. There's gameplay and administration concerns no matter how you split it. Letting Lizardmen kill humans, and humans kill lizard, but get bwoinked if they kill someone from their own station makes sense, though a similar effect could be achieved with Mimes vs clowns, and Mime/clown facepaint being irremovable, and visible even with gas mask/helmet. And yeah, it might be more than just a map. Like having a job config with 2 sets of jobs, one for red station HoS, one for blue station HOS
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #631706

That could be a pretty incredible map because everybody would be both an antagonist and crewmember simultaneously leading to constant exciting shit happening as you have what would presumably be a roughly equal amount of antagonists on the opposing team potentially setting you up the bomb every second of the round.

I do think though that diplomacy and the idea of mutually assured destruction making it preferable in some cases should be a part of it. And it would make a lot more sense lorewise if the stations belonged to different factions. Like a Russian station or a Syndicate station or as you suggest, species-based stations. Golems could be one as well.

Would give way to different station designs using the differing assets that we already use, and different uniforms, and a ton of cool shit. You could even have stations at different technology levels, like what we sort of have with Charlie Station at the beginning. Like an old, forgotten NT station vs. a modern one.