Older players - what did you enjoy about playing on /tg/?

General SS13 Chat
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Re: Older players - what did you enjoy about playing on /tg/?

Post by peoplearestrange » #633343

Bottom post of the previous page:

I played on /tg/ because it was the only place other than goon that I could find on the beyond browser that wasn't Russian. And goon was too much of a big injoke mess that I had no idea what was going on...

Also someone on /tg/ ended up showing me the ropes and that kinda stuck with me. For better or worse here I ended up... probably worse.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #633405

peoplearestrange wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:44 pm I played on /tg/ because it was the only place other than goon that I could find on the beyond browser that wasn't Russian. And goon was too much of a big injoke mess that I had no idea what was going on...

Also someone on /tg/ ended up showing me the ropes and that kinda stuck with me. For better or worse here I ended up... probably worse.
Was definitely better for the server :)! I loved having you around as an admin at least, idk if we every interacted in-game much.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #633437

Maybe not my own mental health, but that was more on me for not seeing when to leave.

Still, I'll always have some good stories to tell and some fond memories of the rose tinted days.

Plus I met a bunch of people that I'm still friends with even today, and that means something to me, hell one I even know IRL now, which is surreal but nice
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #633520

Pandarsenic wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:37 am I think the sheer amount of stuff introduced to make preparation and independence harder, to make combat more fair, etc. has exacerbated powergaming. Wounds, stamina combat, crawling, weakened slips, overdosing on healing chems, etc., it all means that the more prepared you are coming into a fight, the better off you are relative to someone who's done no prep, scaling pretty much indefinitely into a cornucopia of new ways to powergame, rather than everyone being equally susceptible to abrupt unfair nonsense like someone popping a lube grenade and then lasering you while you're on the floor.

It's so much harder now to confirm a kill that every time one happens, you can see "oh, even if someone gets the drop on me, I can empty out this fire extinguisher in the airlock as I run" or whatever. The more fair combat is, and the harder it is to recover from, the more things that can tip the scales matter.

Checking before I continue: am I making any sense to anyone else who's been around since those days?
Ah yeah. I feel where you're coming from. It had much more of a fast & loose feel, in a good way. I understand why the design has moved away from that in favor of a more orthodox approach, however it does feel like something of a loss overall. You used to be able to try and rush a nukeop, left-click to disarm then, pick up their gun without worrying about a firing pin*, and kill them back. Sure you'd probably die 95% of the time, but it was exciting when you succeeded in doing it! And the nukeop on the receiving end hopefully back then had a good attitude about getting killed that way. Nowadays, that's alot more unthinkable to happen. I do think things then were generally more fair in terms of being on a level playing field across players. It wasn't the most important part of the game, but I'm sorta sad it's gone. Disarm removal is the saddest thing for me personally... it made things very exciting.

*Story about firing pins:
► Show Spoiler
FantasticFwoosh wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:56 am I wouldn't get interested in it nowadays because everything else added feels like im playing super-modded (if that even makes sense i know PR's have to happen) SS13 in a starkly contrasting feel to the consistency back then, i feel lucky to have joined at the time i did.
I see where you're coming from Fwoosh. To be truthful, the setting then had a lot less bells and whistles and the core 'classic' elements, eg. eswords, Trekchems, atmos, the sing, etc. were the main focus. There's a lot more things now and a lot more fleshed out systems that overtake some of those things (if they haven't been removed/replaced even that is). This one though may just be perspective on when you first joined, and your familiarity with things... then again, esword traitor is kind of one of ss13's iconic images, yet we don't see it nearly as much anymore due to the quantity of more powerful tools/weapons for an antag to use. I wonder how much is subjective vs. objective for this one.
peoplearestrange wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:44 pm Also someone on /tg/ ended up showing me the ropes and that kinda stuck with me. For better or worse here I ended up... probably worse.
Well I can say for sure that I've been glad you made it here, and am happy to see you again even now :D`

All is still well on /tg/station I think, even if there are problems.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #633521

I'm glad PAS is alive, good timeline
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #633533

Bawhoppennn wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:22 pm There's a lot more things now and a lot more fleshed out systems that overtake some of those things (if they haven't been removed/replaced even that is). This one though may just be perspective on when you first joined, and your familiarity with things... then again, esword traitor is kind of one of ss13's iconic images, yet we don't see it nearly as much anymore due to the quantity of more powerful tools/weapons for an antag to use.
I lament that more people won't readily feel the experience of being cut up by sword carrying emaggers (usually called Dante), busting through the maint-door with nowhere to run and nothing reliable around to fight with, a actual fightback was rare when usually the most successful people ran, which is more stimulating in a way.

I still count old school /tg/ to host one of my most thoroughly enjoyable detective anecdotes though or as much as i can remember of it being a few years back.*
► Show Spoiler

Spoiler:
imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

Post by imsxz » #633587

oranges wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:07 pm
imsxz wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:08 pm
oranges wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:42 am you literally just listed a who's who of powergamer retards (apart from kor and kevin) that are part of the long list of reasons why so many cancerous newfags like you are choking up this server.

get fucking gone already.
idk why you're being so hostile, i just always felt that /tg/station was "the fun server"(compared to the popular competitors at the time: bay, para, citadel, hippie, etc) before I even started playing. that's the spirit of /tg/ to me. I apologize if I offended your snoozefest heritage.
because you're being straight up duplicitious and attacking admins who are literally just restoring the existing order.

That you're stupid enough to think we ever did anything other than laugh at and tolerate powergamers is not my problem

Ps if you think tgstation is a snoozefest then I hear trouble in terrorist town has more action.
i guess what i was trying to say is that i enjoyed /tg/ because i was allowed to have my fun, whereas I wasn't allowed to on other servers, and now I'm not allowed to have my fun on any of the servers. The rules on /tg/ allowed almost EVERYONE to pursue their own fun(sometimes at the expense of others, for better or worse). Can you respect that at least, instead of hurling insults and demands?

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #633598

back in 2012ish, /tg/ was the 'main' server besides goon

gooncode had, even by that point, grown incoherent and incomprehensible. its servers were pretty dead for years and years before their revival. everything ran poorly, was unclear, so I stuck to /tg/. it was what was modern and crisp. it was what everyone ran a downstream off of, or used the files of to host their servers. so it was the default, and it was the default because it was the best. at this point nothing else looks or feels right, not even /vg/ when i recently tried it. but i could probably get very used to /vg/ in no time at all.

and this is why i get excessively sad when i see bad prs.
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #633603

Bawhoppennn wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:22 pm And the nukeop on the receiving end hopefully back then had a good attitude about getting killed that way. Nowadays, that's alot more unthinkable to happen. I do think things then were generally more fair in terms of being on a level playing field across players. It wasn't the most important part of the game, but I'm sorta sad it's gone. Disarm removal is the saddest thing for me personally... it made things very exciting.
A lot of the time, you 'd be sort of salty, but in the "I can't believe that motherfucker got away with it" way - it wasn't anyone's fault, it was just how the game was balanced. There was bullshit, but the bullshit cut in every direction and every knew that, if you played enough, it'd hit you at the worst time eventually.

Like viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30817 was kind of a joke but it also kind of wasn't. Combat was started and ended so fast that excessive powergaming was functionally useless because one taser shot and you were done anyway. If you didn't want to get one-tap tasered as nuke ops, you stuck together and/or had someone on point with a dual e-sword. Water grenades, take noslips. And so on.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #633670

Thats another good point, I think I stuck on /tg/ servers because the lag was also not painful. A lot of other servers around 2013 were just awful... I mean /tg/ had lag, but it was consistent and you could work with it.
TheFinalPotato wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:24 pm I'm glad PAS is alive, good timeline
Bawhoppennn wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:22 pm Well I can say for sure that I've been glad you made it here, and am happy to see you again even now :D`
Thank you, very kind to say. I'm doing generally pretty well and have certainly chilled out a lil more now. I tend to just walk away than fly off the handle, and I think thats a better step.

Also this is a weird timeline. Oranges seems very angy. I remember them being pretty chill and telling me to chill and shitpost. Hell they even bought me a BD once, but thats a story for another time.
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #633671

Sorry oranges*
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #633739

I couldn’t think of a detailed answer to this thread so I’ll just say freedom
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #633785

peoplearestrange wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:54 am Thats another good point, I think I stuck on /tg/ servers because the lag was also not painful. A lot of other servers around 2013 were just awful... I mean /tg/ had lag, but it was consistent and you could work with it.
TheFinalPotato wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:24 pm I'm glad PAS is alive, good timeline
Bawhoppennn wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:22 pm Well I can say for sure that I've been glad you made it here, and am happy to see you again even now :D`
Thank you, very kind to say. I'm doing generally pretty well and have certainly chilled out a lil more now. I tend to just walk away than fly off the handle, and I think thats a better step.

Also this is a weird timeline. Oranges seems very angy. I remember them being pretty chill and telling me to chill and shitpost. Hell they even bought me a BD once, but thats a story for another time.
I'm pretty sure that brings that count up to 3 as "oranges favorite gift".
Durkel
Byond Username: Durkel

Post by Durkel » #633803

I very much miss the old combat and speed from 2012. The game was fast paced and hilariously deadly that paranoia was a genuine and constant concern. It wasn't fair in the least bit but it always gave the atmosphere of mistrust when a naked assistant was just as deadly as a security officer. It also that meant you had to be robust because a response time could be seconds rather than the slow plodding obese ass time that we have now. I recall a standoff I once had with robustin when he was an antag and I had trapped him in his antag cuck shed that had my heart racing knowing that any second either of us could be dead. Now everything is so slow and telegraphed that I can go make a cup tea, come back, let it cool, drink it, and may be someone will have got close enough to hit me.

Another problem I have is the medical system is just counter productive to what made a lot of the game fun in my opinion. You could get roughed up to point of death in a argument with someone and be back in the hallways in a couple of minutes. Now I'm stuck in the limbo of medical hoping to god that someone had more than one brain cell. It boggles my mind that when medical was always known to be one of the least competent departments where pressing the correct button once or twice was akin to a college exam that someone decided it needed to take longer and be more complex.

"bad" maps is another thing. Box map was a fantastic map simply because it sucked. Cramped corridors, small workspaces, limited resources, and easily exposed areas. Simply existing on box caused conflict that many other maps do as much as possible to avoid. The only exception of that being tram which is hilariously deadly. I absolutely love that map and the chaos it brings.

Singulo is another. The sm had and will always sucked. Singulo was the most iconic thing about ss13 and it's removal as an engine marked a real turning point for me and my enjoyment.

I guess all the complaints I have is how the game has slowly over time become more time consuming, and safer. I once was once trapped in a poorly built death trap with psychopaths and now I'm in a bounce castle with disabled children. I can't complain too much as I got many good years out of a free game and I still play an occasional match every couple of months.
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #633817

Pandarsenic wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:37 am The thing was, generally, people who COULD trash the entire station singlehandedly still roleplayed normal-ass characters- OFFICER KUDZU, THAT WAS HIS FUCKING NAME - the super robust sec officer main who was also a great roleplayer. God, uh, James Kudzu I think? Kel, you would've been around for his time, help me out.
This is a cool thing. One of my earliest rounds on Sybil back when that was the popular server that would sometimes break 100 players back in 2014~ involved a guy whose name I no longer remember at all. I died early in the round because I was a chump and probably cut a wire I shouldn't have or something, so me and some other ghosts were spectating him because someone thought he was traitor. The guy shoots someone by cargo with a revolver, I guess for an objective, and gets busted because that's way too loud and another cargo tech saw him. Security is called and they're on the way, so this guy acts fast and grabs the dead cargo tech's ID, runs into cargo, caps the other tech and the QM, then starts printing out more ammo (because of course the autolathe was already hacked before he got there). Security shows up and he by some miracle dodges taser shots, evades stun batons, and drops a few officers. Unrelated people are now running in to disarm this guy and he's just dropping them as they come in with taser shots flying everywhere and all kinds of bullshit going right over his shoulders. The dude managed to kill a sec borg back when those motherfuckers had tasers and were always faster than you. Eventually he steps out of cargo, now armed to the teeth in sec gear and with tons of 357 ammo, and is well known by every single crewmember with a headset as a scary murderer. That won't do, so he makes his way to the bridge and calls the shuttle, fighting every step of the way there, two tapping people moments before they get disarms and stun batons off on him. This guy makes it to the shuttle, with the only adversary to oppose him being another sec borg and an engi borg, and he FUCKING WINS IT! Every single dead player in the server is watching this guy as a ghost. People are laughing, salting, bitching, and just being flat out impressed. The shuttle is almost to central. The guy looks up. "My job here is done." He opens the shuttle door and spaces himself in a last blaze of glory. Deadchat goes absolutely NUTS. My jaw dropped. I had no idea someone could do that, snowball one assassination into a full on hijacking that ends with him not even greentexting because he's too fucking cool for it. All of it was in the span of something like 15 minutes out of a 45 minute round.
Next round the dude was the bartender. He was pretty cool.
Pandarsenic wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:37 am Anyway.I think the sheer amount of stuff introduced to make preparation and independence harder, to make combat more fair, etc. has exacerbated powergaming. Wounds, stamina combat, crawling, weakened slips, overdosing on healing chems, etc., it all means that the more prepared you are coming into a fight, the better off you are relative to someone who's done no prep, scaling pretty much indefinitely into a cornucopia of new ways to powergame, rather than everyone being equally susceptible to abrupt unfair nonsense like someone popping a lube grenade and then lasering you while you're on the floor.
Absolutely. With stun based combat, either you had a stun or didn't. Some stuns were better than others, like flashbangs or tasers, and stun resistance was fairly rare (basically just adrenals and hulk). If you got caught out by a traitor with a stun, you were probably dead, but it wasn't totally infallible because everyone had an inconsistent but reliable pocket stun in the form of old disarm (and tabling when it was instant and required an aggro grab), so you would still have stories of the rare triumph by an unarmed assistant over a cocky desword nuke op. I think that was way better than what we have now. People pretty much have to die for a round to have drama, so killing or being killed should be a simple and robust system. I've said this before and I am not being ironic at all, the way that Among Us handles kills (they are 1 button click, unblockable, and instantaneous) makes that game have way more paranoia and feel way more dramatic and fun than disabler combat has ever been. I am not joking.

When death was easy, we also had cloning that made getting back in easy too if the traitor was sloppy and didn't hide his kill. People like to bitch about cloning removal, but the core of the issue is the combat system a step up from cloning. The combat system being ruined has bled over into all kinds of issues with the modern game. All of our half-stuns where people can still move and attack from the ground, our stun resistances, our stamina stamina damage that makes even getting a stun an involved process, our nerfs to basically every fast combat mechanic in the game (old tabling is long gone, disarm is gutted), it's all way, way, worse than the simpler and faster system that we used to have. People don't kill each other nearly as much because it's just such a hassle to even do so. People that powergame need to grab twenty different things because we can't risk them having a stun prod and killing a traitor with it, so now powergamers are more disruptive than ever because they have to touch so many different systems. A guy used to disappear into maint for a couple minutes longer than you'd have expected and you'd find out he was killed, and now there's a murder mystery. Try going into maint today and see how long it takes you to even find someone who might want to engage you at all to begin with. Sorry, but they're only equipped to the teeth enough to maybe kill their one assassination target. No drama to spare for you, pal.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #633823

peoplearestrange wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:54 am Thats another good point, I think I stuck on /tg/ servers because the lag was also not painful. A lot of other servers around 2013 were just awful... I mean /tg/ had lag, but it was consistent and you could work with it.

I'm glad to hear you're doing good lately PAS :) Good to see you once in awhile atleast, and definitely don't worry about not being here if you're not feeling like it's the best place for yourself sometimes.
Anyways as for oranges, well, after becoming headcoder, like all (great?) leaders, because of the job pressures, one has to steel themselves against a lot of the harsh criticism they inevitably receive. In turn, this then gets reflected back a bit in the form of an additional amount of abrasiveness. oranges is still very nice when you talk at the right time (especially on nights when the wine is flowing or the gaming CPU is spinning).
Durkel wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:05 pm Singulo is another. The sm had and will always sucked. Singulo was the most iconic thing about ss13 and it's removal as an engine marked a real turning point for me and my enjoyment.
I feel ya on this. There's many design choices I've disagreed with oranges & even Kor on, but you live with them eventually. Singulo removal was really the only truly unforgivable removal in my opinion. I'm still sad it's gone.
... Atleast oranges said we could bring it back if someone ever reworks power... of course nobody will probably ever rework power, so it'll likely be gone indefinitely, but atleast the sentiment is there.
Durkel wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:05 pm I guess all the complaints I have is how the game has slowly over time become more time consuming, and safer. I once was once trapped in a poorly built death trap with psychopaths and now I'm in a bounce castle with disabled children. I can't complain too much as I got many good years out of a free game and I still play an occasional match every couple of months.
The hazards and paranoia that resulted from it really did have a good feel I think. Even if I can't point to one particular aspect of it, I too miss that overall atmosphere of danger and constant threat. Only a thin line between you and your character's death made things exciting for sure.
Also Hi Durkel.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #633870

Ayyy, been a while Dur"Tim Ebow"kel
Durkel wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:05 pm "bad" maps is another thing. Box map was a fantastic map simply because it sucked. Cramped corridors, small workspaces, limited resources, and easily exposed areas. Simply existing on box caused conflict that many other maps do as much as possible to avoid. The only exception of that being tram which is hilariously deadly. I absolutely love that map and the chaos it brings.
I actually have a couple of key problems with Tram in that regard: the danger of the tram is too predictable, and maintenance (unlike box) barely provides shortcuts at all, reducing chances for people to slip between "distant" areas quickly through it. The greatest tragedy of ICEbox (other than being nearly unplayable for nuke ops) is the fucking up of the maintenance corridor running behind chapel and service all the way to the dorms, replaced by some weird big maintenance maze and a service lathe area that maintenance access won't get you into.

The Maintenance Loop was IMO vital; an antag could run a complete circuit around the station with only the most brief appearances in the hallways.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #633871

I pressed submit early on my phone so I'm just gonna double post
PKPenguin321 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:07 pm
Pandarsenic wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:37 am The thing was, generally, people who COULD trash the entire station singlehandedly still roleplayed normal-ass characters- OFFICER KUDZU, THAT WAS HIS FUCKING NAME - the super robust sec officer main who was also a great roleplayer. God, uh, James Kudzu I think? Kel, you would've been around for his time, help me out.
This is a cool thing. One of my earliest rounds on Sybil back when that was the popular server that would sometimes break 100 players back in 2014~ involved a guy whose name I no longer remember at all. I died early in the round because I was a chump and probably cut a wire I shouldn't have or something, so me and some other ghosts were spectating him because someone thought he was traitor. The guy shoots someone by cargo with a revolver, I guess for an objective, and gets busted because that's way too loud and another cargo tech saw him. Security is called and they're on the way, so this guy acts fast and grabs the dead cargo tech's ID, runs into cargo, caps the other tech and the QM, then starts printing out more ammo (because of course the autolathe was already hacked before he got there). Security shows up and he by some miracle dodges taser shots, evades stun batons, and drops a few officers. Unrelated people are now running in to disarm this guy and he's just dropping them as they come in with taser shots flying everywhere and all kinds of bullshit going right over his shoulders. The dude managed to kill a sec borg back when those motherfuckers had tasers and were always faster than you. Eventually he steps out of cargo, now armed to the teeth in sec gear and with tons of 357 ammo, and is well known by every single crewmember with a headset as a scary murderer. That won't do, so he makes his way to the bridge and calls the shuttle, fighting every step of the way there, two tapping people moments before they get disarms and stun batons off on him. This guy makes it to the shuttle, with the only adversary to oppose him being another sec borg and an engi borg, and he FUCKING WINS IT! Every single dead player in the server is watching this guy as a ghost. People are laughing, salting, bitching, and just being flat out impressed. The shuttle is almost to central. The guy looks up. "My job here is done." He opens the shuttle door and spaces himself in a last blaze of glory. Deadchat goes absolutely NUTS. My jaw dropped. I had no idea someone could do that, snowball one assassination into a full on hijacking that ends with him not even greentexting because he's too fucking cool for it. All of it was in the span of something like 15 minutes out of a 45 minute round.
Next round the dude was the bartender. He was pretty cool.
Pandarsenic wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:37 am Anyway.I think the sheer amount of stuff introduced to make preparation and independence harder, to make combat more fair, etc. has exacerbated powergaming. Wounds, stamina combat, crawling, weakened slips, overdosing on healing chems, etc., it all means that the more prepared you are coming into a fight, the better off you are relative to someone who's done no prep, scaling pretty much indefinitely into a cornucopia of new ways to powergame, rather than everyone being equally susceptible to abrupt unfair nonsense like someone popping a lube grenade and then lasering you while you're on the floor.
Absolutely. With stun based combat, either you had a stun or didn't. Some stuns were better than others, like flashbangs or tasers, and stun resistance was fairly rare (basically just adrenals and hulk). If you got caught out by a traitor with a stun, you were probably dead, but it wasn't totally infallible because everyone had an inconsistent but reliable pocket stun in the form of old disarm (and tabling when it was instant and required an aggro grab), so you would still have stories of the rare triumph by an unarmed assistant over a cocky desword nuke op. I think that was way better than what we have now. People pretty much have to die for a round to have drama, so killing or being killed should be a simple and robust system. I've said this before and I am not being ironic at all, the way that Among Us handles kills (they are 1 button click, unblockable, and instantaneous) makes that game have way more paranoia and feel way more dramatic and fun than disabler combat has ever been. I am not joking.

When death was easy, we also had cloning that made getting back in easy too if the traitor was sloppy and didn't hide his kill. People like to bitch about cloning removal, but the core of the issue is the combat system a step up from cloning. The combat system being ruined has bled over into all kinds of issues with the modern game. All of our half-stuns where people can still move and attack from the ground, our stun resistances, our stamina stamina damage that makes even getting a stun an involved process, our nerfs to basically every fast combat mechanic in the game (old tabling is long gone, disarm is gutted), it's all way, way, worse than the simpler and faster system that we used to have. People don't kill each other nearly as much because it's just such a hassle to even do so. People that powergame need to grab twenty different things because we can't risk them having a stun prod and killing a traitor with it, so now powergamers are more disruptive than ever because they have to touch so many different systems. A guy used to disappear into maint for a couple minutes longer than you'd have expected and you'd find out he was killed, and now there's a murder mystery. Try going into maint today and see how long it takes you to even find someone who might want to engage you at all to begin with. Sorry, but they're only equipped to the teeth enough to maybe kill their one assassination target. No drama to spare for you, pal.
I used to do 357 rampages all the time; that shit is nearly impossible now. The hacked lathe only prints bullets, not speed loaders, which makes the fast reloads necessary to do this all but impossible.

I highlighted the part I really feel in the second part, but truth be told, everything you and Durkel said about "easy come, easy go" is absolutely true.

I miss how when sec and I had a standoff and wanted to talk, we had to scramble into cover first before we dared exchange a word because standing in the open was a death sentence to a single good taser tap. I miss that when sec lost a stand-off, a barely-competent doctor could have them on their feet and ready to go in a couple minutes. I miss when antags had the tools to just pop their uplink open, rampage, and WIN doing it.

I honestly do believe that, as annoying as a murderbone could be back then, it's infinitely worse now because even if they go down, half the people they killed still aren't getting revived even if they just left them in the open.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #633886

Durkel wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:05 pm I very much miss the old combat and speed from 2012. The game was fast paced and hilariously deadly that paranoia was a genuine and constant concern. It wasn't fair in the least bit but it always gave the atmosphere of mistrust when a naked assistant was just as deadly as a security officer. It also that meant you had to be robust because a response time could be seconds rather than the slow plodding obese ass time that we have now. I recall a standoff I once had with robustin when he was an antag and I had trapped him in his antag cuck shed that had my heart racing knowing that any second either of us could be dead. Now everything is so slow and telegraphed that I can go make a cup tea, come back, let it cool, drink it, and may be someone will have got close enough to hit me.

Another problem I have is the medical system is just counter productive to what made a lot of the game fun in my opinion. You could get roughed up to point of death in a argument with someone and be back in the hallways in a couple of minutes. Now I'm stuck in the limbo of medical hoping to god that someone had more than one brain cell. It boggles my mind that when medical was always known to be one of the least competent departments where pressing the correct button once or twice was akin to a college exam that someone decided it needed to take longer and be more complex.

"bad" maps is another thing. Box map was a fantastic map simply because it sucked. Cramped corridors, small workspaces, limited resources, and easily exposed areas. Simply existing on box caused conflict that many other maps do as much as possible to avoid. The only exception of that being tram which is hilariously deadly. I absolutely love that map and the chaos it brings.

Singulo is another. The sm had and will always sucked. Singulo was the most iconic thing about ss13 and it's removal as an engine marked a real turning point for me and my enjoyment.

I guess all the complaints I have is how the game has slowly over time become more time consuming, and safer. I once was once trapped in a poorly built death trap with psychopaths and now I'm in a bounce castle with disabled children. I can't complain too much as I got many good years out of a free game and I still play an occasional match every couple of months.
It's been quite a while. Who do you miss? I wish Kobe Goodman still played.

You're right about the Singulo. It was cathartic. As a ghost, orbitting singulo as it slowly ate the station. It was like spending an hour building a city in Simcity, and then spamming disasters until the proverbial Shuttle Call.
Medical becoming more complicated wasn't a good thing. I think a lot of the changes to medicine were an overblown reaction to a meta that optimized interrupting cloning through APC tinkering. A lore change saying the brain was the last part constructed, so if power is interrupted before 90% completion the clone comes out braindead would have nipped it in the bud, but complete censure was its eventual fate.
Tram is a good addition, and would have fit right in earlier renditions, I agree. Box being the bad map and Meta the good map was a long tradition, though I had a fond place in my heart for Box, like 2fort. Box only being Ice-box is annoying, but still re-injected some new life into the old station, so I have respect.
It was higher stakes, but possible to get back into the game in the old days. It wasn't just toolboxes being dangerous, but being close to a table, because of the grapple. Vents would be relevant whenever Monkeys or Xenos showed up, and whatever nerfs they did to monkeys and other life forms vent crawling is annoying.
Security had more teeth too. Batons, Tasers, detective having thermals and an OP revolver. Many times a detective walking out of security would pass by the dorms and see something awful almost immediately. Now x-ray doesn't exist and thermals are a toggleable power that makes you go blind
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #633892

I miss the singulo bros
I miss setting up a refugee camp on PubbyStation's monastery as the singulo ate the station
► Show Spoiler
Durkel
Byond Username: Durkel

Post by Durkel » #633946

Helios wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:30 am It's been quite a while. Who do you miss? I wish Kobe Goodman still played.
James kuduz whos ckey was chargonian I believe. My favorite sec officer.
Opie fisher and ramon baer for genetic power game team ups
punchrockbeef/regnier for the being most terrifying AI you could encounter. Dude was practically shodan with how draconic and logical he could be about law loopholes.
A good portion of the old admin team. Kor and xsi in particular. Dwarfy shitposting was good too. Funnily enough I think I spotted dwarfy on a minecraft server that was on /vg/ for a bit.
We had an admin named stillchr for a bit that was practically our only admin when SoS went mia and yina abandoned us for bay. Dude was living in a van and still moderating our autistic asses.
oldman/CJS rants were always a hoot. He was also one of the few traitors you could consistently team up.
JLP/CDB for being the worst security officer to ever grace our server. Shout outs to tsaricide for blowing them the fuck out with vox. "C. D. B. IS. NOT. GOOD".
Dante smith/zzaros. Only for the fear that would strike when you heard "dante is printing 357 ammo again".

There's a lot of good players I can't recall without actually seeing the name/ckey and then having all the memories flood back. There's been a lot of memorable players over the years too. Over all I've got to admit that the community and individuals in it have over all been positive.
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
vostosispa
Byond Username: Vostosispa

Post by vostosispa » #633965

first off, want to say that a lot of stuff you guys have posted is bringing back memories... tabling, quick-choking, winning an exchange against a traitor with a banana peel, the singularity, et cetera... robocop.mp3

made an account just to post. came here on a whim and saw this thread and i have time so i will contribute.

(skip this first paragraph if you don't care about backstory) first started playing in february-ish 2011 on goon and another server called "conco's hut", which was essentially a goon down-stream with a host that griefed with impunity. played probably three/five rounds total, and my final round at that time i remember dinstinctly was meta-comming with a friend and double-teamming conco the clown and throwing him in the gibber. got permabanned and stopped playing for around a year. for whatever reason, got back into the game in february 2012, and started again on goon, but got banned for crowbarring some guy in a maintenance tunnel by the admin "gorillamydreams" (wonder if he still mods)... anyway, from there, found the facepunch server on the hub, found /tg/ through their broken forum link in-game (lol), and then put some pretty serious hours into the game for the entirety of 2012-2014. have played periodically throughout the years since, but have stopped altogether within the past two years, and likely won't come back.

echoing what others have already said, the game had a real dynamism to it: i still hold the opinion that ss13 from that time is unparalleled in its emergent gameplay - perhaps only bested by tabletops, which obviously resonated with that community, given where we are. i think this quality comes more from the engine itself, rather than the "gameplay", as it were, because the core gameplay was actually quite tedious and repetitive on a round-to-round basis; the real meat and potatoes came from the ability to "mould" the game environment to your will, and the expression through the modicum of tools at your disposal with which to do it.

in my opinion, where modern tg (and ss13 as a whole) has lost the plot is in its fixation on code development, and the bolstering of the core gameplay, rather than a primary focus on player freedom and expression. a perfect example is the medbay: you've supposedly "enhanced" this gameplay experience by creating an arbitrary checklist filled with menial, singular inputs. this limits the creative expression of both the person doing the healing, and the healed themselves. this type of game design appeals to a specific type of person, and drives away another type - that is, it is a game system designed by autists, for autists. but, whaddaya gonna do... the game got older, more popular, and thus, had to appeal to a larger audience of people. it is what it is.

another thing (and something that has been mentioned a lot in this thread already): characters back then had a lot more, well, character to them. many characters had developed a bit of a reputation/trademark to them, and some even became the stuff of legends... i think this owes itself to the fact that a lot of the playerbase was a diaspora of tabletop geeks from 4chan, so you were naturally dealing with an older, more "mature" (though i hesitate to say that) playerbase. to name a few: Joseph Curwen, wire-art-chaplain extraordinaire; Burer, mythological man of great strength and power - was notoriously robust, and there was actually a picture on the old forums of him in the brig with the entire security force buckle-cuffed around the briefing table.; John Doe, who was the quintessential "grey jumpsuit/gas mask" assistant lurking in the maintenance tunnels; and, of course, Dante Smith, who many people also hold in high esteem for the fear he instilled. i once got him as a kill target, and managed to get him with a parapen and subsequent brain removal. not so impressive, but i was pretty chuffed at the time. many other characters come to mind, like there was a hobo-type character who was always naked, and was quite fun to have around - something "Dave" or "Larry" or something like that - others may remember. played by Jeerman.

nowadays, there doesn't seem to be much character at all. i chalk it up to the aforementioned change in demographic, as well as the addition of playable alien species. the playable alien species are a crutch for people, because they see it as a shiny coat of paint that they can slap on their non-creative selves and think that's good enough. also, i think creating a distinct "rp" server is a terrible compromise, but i digress cuz i'm getting bored of writing this out.

the game was great, and it provided me with a lot of fond gaming memories: never would i have thought that this 2d spaceman fart game could have made me laughed as much as it did. it had paranoia, fear, conquest, silliness... it had it all. lots more i could say but it's already a pretty phat post so i'll just save it for later

vekter is a ***
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #633971

Durkel wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:09 pm JLP/CDB for being the worst security officer to ever grace our server. Shout outs to tsaricide for blowing them the fuck out with vox. "C. D. B. IS. NOT. GOOD".
Vox showing up fresh on BadgerStation, the CDB "C D B IS NOT GOOD" into the salty 15-minute "OoC in IC" ban, the first birth of "JOHNSON INSPECTION IN MEDICAL" as people experimented with the vox vocabulary... AIs having the beepsky rant on demand.

Vox truly is one of the best features ever added to the codebase.
Ziiro
Byond Username: Ziiro
Github Username: Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #634358

Taking a look around this thread I wasn't quite sure I could put my finger on it, but after reading Pandarsenic and PKP's posts I feel like I can sum it up as:

I actually miss being able to reasonably prep and handle situations, as well as manage to solve problems on my own - and this wasn't even a powergaming thing, I didn't really do it to "win", I actually made a lot of efforts to save people. Being that guy who is single handedly bringing the station back through cloning after some murderboner wrecks house felt really good.

Nowadays when I bother to play I mostly feel helpless as a non-antagonist, and exceptionally useless and toothless an antagonist.
Whoneedspacee
Byond Username: Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #634410

I got banned justifiably (althought honestly looking back at the round logs I find it more silly than anything at this point given the time thats passed) and moved onto coding, by the time I was able to play again I was no longer interested in playing the game because I'd already felt like I'd discovered everything I wanted to gameplay wise, which frankly was a lot it was pretty much 2 years of constantly playing the game, and I was just ready to play other games.

I never got interested in going back since none of the gameplay changes have really enticed me as being anything new, and anything that interests me would just be something I coded simply so I could give enjoyment to people who like what I make. Also any players I was playing with at the time were no longer playing either, and while this is meant to be a roleplaying game where you're starting from scratch it is nice to see some familiar faces around while playing, it adds to the sense of community while playing the game imo, and almost serves as a character backstory without needing a looc wall of text like most roleplaying servers.

I could go on and on about the balance of the game, but frankly some people just enjoy their roleplaying game, and while I'll argue forever about how some people just enjoyed the chaotic creativity of the game, the other half of the community is definitely not the biggest fan of this and that just seems to be the majority of admins and coders. All I can really recommend to you is if you want to see more chaotic creativity, give admins more tools, it's why I coded mob abilities into the game (which yeah is unfinished basically but maybe i'll get around to it at some point)

When visiting other discord servers or ss13 servers where remnants of this community exist, I'm more reminded of the degenerate views some of the community has, and while I'm all for a good joke and don't even mind some words that would make a lot of people lose their heads, I just don't find the way it's talked about funny anymore and it just seems kind of childish and boring to me. These were the parts of the community that were so fucky and weird they pretty much encouraged the fuckery that resulted in my ban in the first place, shitty teenagers dicking around I suppose. The remnants that I still enjoy interacting with like the toxins / atmospherics community have just all moved onto more interesting things and I still keep in touch with some of them.

As for coding I really am thankful to the coding community on this server, while I was already a decent coder and above average, there's no experience like working with a bunch of people a lot smarter than you especially on a repository this big, and really gives you a lot of great ideas on how to scale up a project and still have it be easily editable and workable, even if some of it is unfinished or written when I was in elementary school.

I grew out of coding for many reasons mainly not getting as much out of coding for the project as I already feel like I have a pretty good working knowledge of a lot of the codebase, making pull requests just being a hassle and having to check every day if a maintainer checked my pr like it's some sort of job, and frankly just not knowing any of the people in the game anymore, it's really demotivating to spend an entire month making something and just having nobody acknowledge its existence at all in any messages I can find.

I'm just moving on in life, probably going to graduate college soon, but I'll always be thankful to a community that got me interested in math and proofs as a 17 year old just because the atmospherics was so cool, and also advanced my coding knowledge by just getting me interested, to where I was coding for the game daily just on random stuff even if it never got released (infection, virtual reality, etc)

If you want that old feel of the game back you won't be able to do it, the coders and admins here clearly aren't going to do it, and it'll never be the same if you're the one running the changes having to deal with all the pressure from people, someone is going to have to sacrifice their enjoyment of the game to bring it to others and I just don't see any of those people doing that right now, but best of luck. As for me I think I got all the enjoyment I could really need out of the game already and I'm just more interested in progressing the meta of other games, but I think this game will be rent free in my head for a very long time.
retired ss13 coderman
Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #634411

Stickymayhem wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:03 pm
imsxz wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:40 am
I've been here nearly a decade, I'm not like you. Whenever I did unstoppable murderbones, I used the space created to do interesting things. The value of being unkillable isn't killing everyone, it's having a blank cheque to create any story you want for the station. I did wacky shit like making meatspike hallways of victims and taunting security while setting it up, killing the captain and taking over the station under threat of violence, goading centcom into a war or converting the whole station to the syndicate. The murderbone wasn't just to rack up a body count, it was to make a narrative happen. The only reliable way to do that as antag has always, unfortunately, been to kill the dozen or so robust competitors to your murderthrone and then go ahead with whatever gimmick you wanted to do.
I intentionally lost countless times. I came to the bridge for parlays knowing it was a sting operation, I die intentionally to antags all the time (When you've played for long enough you can pretty reliably know who's antag and who's not just by watching them for a couple minutes, but that meta knowledge is unfair to use, so I take a dive most of the time to avoid that), I sacrifice my round to create interesting situations, I throw antags back out into the round as security with tracking implants. This is all in the spirit of doing the only thing I care about, which is driving narratives.

What did I enjoy about playing on /tg/? I enjoyed when everyone shared this mindset of creating opportunities for the most interesting story, instead of playing Trouble in Terrorist Town in Space.
This was me honestly and I was kinda dissapointed when singlecaps ended up being optimized into being unfun and was quite surprised when they weren't straight up removed once they were discovered, still shocked they're allowed in any capacity. Same with most other unbalanced shit, someone takes a fun wacky thing and combines it with dumbass high armor or other healing crap and it just completely ruins the balance.

I always saw antag as like a d&d villain that was more meant to die and only served to drive interest with the station and what other people had made, when people made themselves borderline unkillable with stims and one shot weapons like every single fucking round I would just always wonder to myself how they even found that fun. It's like the guy who joins d&d campaigns just to play the same dumbass sword wizard build that's overpowered as hell and does a billion damage, the entire point of the game is to make DIFFERENT shit, not copy other peoples stuff.

While I don't agree with many of the balance changes coders have made and just wished admins had enforced "rule of fun" more and just stopped people from overly powergaming while allowing the cool shit to still exist, I understand why it was done, still dissapointing though that it all turned out this way.
retired ss13 coderman
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #634415

Whoneedspacee wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:49 am
I've been here nearly a decade, I'm not like you. Whenever I did unstoppable murderbones, I used the space created to do interesting things. The value of being unkillable isn't killing everyone, it's having a blank cheque to create any story you want for the station. I did wacky shit like making meatspike hallways of victims and taunting security while setting it up, killing the captain and taking over the station under threat of violence, goading centcom into a war or converting the whole station to the syndicate. The murderbone wasn't just to rack up a body count, it was to make a narrative happen. The only reliable way to do that as antag has always, unfortunately, been to kill the dozen or so robust competitors to your murderthrone and then go ahead with whatever gimmick you wanted to do.
I intentionally lost countless times. I came to the bridge for parlays knowing it was a sting operation, I die intentionally to antags all the time (When you've played for long enough you can pretty reliably know who's antag and who's not just by watching them for a couple minutes, but that meta knowledge is unfair to use, so I take a dive most of the time to avoid that), I sacrifice my round to create interesting situations, I throw antags back out into the round as security with tracking implants. This is all in the spirit of doing the only thing I care about, which is driving narratives.

What did I enjoy about playing on /tg/? I enjoyed when everyone shared this mindset of creating opportunities for the most interesting story, instead of playing Trouble in Terrorist Town in Space.
This was me honestly and I was kinda dissapointed when singlecaps ended up being optimized into being unfun and was quite surprised when they weren't straight up removed once they were discovered, still shocked they're allowed in any capacity. Same with most other unbalanced shit, someone takes a fun wacky thing and combines it with dumbass high armor or other healing crap and it just completely ruins the balance.

I always saw antag as like a d&d villain that was more meant to die and only served to drive interest with the station and what other people had made, when people made themselves borderline unkillable with stims and one shot weapons like every single fucking round I would just always wonder to myself how they even found that fun. It's like the guy who joins d&d campaigns just to play the same dumbass sword wizard build that's overpowered as hell and does a billion damage, the entire point of the game is to make DIFFERENT shit, not copy other peoples stuff.

While I don't agree with many of the balance changes coders have made and just wished admins had enforced "rule of fun" more and just stopped people from overly powergaming while allowing the cool shit to still exist, I understand why it was done, still dissapointing though that it all turned out this way.
Yeah there have been timers coderbus has been overzealous sometimes but I agree that the vast majority of nerfs are down to a failure of administration to restrict abuse. In an ideal world we should have a D&D situation where of course you can break things and be OP in a million ways but you leave room for cool things to happen around that. You don't have to make the optimal decision every single instant and doing so inhibits fun.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #634417

Whoneedspacee wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:49 am This was me honestly and I was kinda dissapointed when singlecaps ended up being optimized into being unfun and was quite surprised when they weren't straight up removed once they were discovered, still shocked they're allowed in any capacity. Same with most other unbalanced shit, someone takes a fun wacky thing and combines it with dumbass high armor or other healing crap and it just completely ruins the balance.
I definitely wouldn't hate a tweak to atmospherics, maybe to the exothermic decay reactions currently used to ignite them.

I think single-tank bombs should be a thing, but I also think maaaaybe they're just a little too easy to make infinite maxcaps right now -- and I say that as part of a proud lineage of mad bombers who discovered a way to make arbitrary numbers of canister maxcaps with only Assmaint access under the old atmospherics code. There was a bit of artistry to it, lest you fuck up a mix and screw yourself out of your big booms for an entire round. I feel like that kind of risk isn't so much there with the current popular recipe.
Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #634474

Pandarsenic wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:48 pm
Whoneedspacee wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:49 am This was me honestly and I was kinda dissapointed when singlecaps ended up being optimized into being unfun and was quite surprised when they weren't straight up removed once they were discovered, still shocked they're allowed in any capacity. Same with most other unbalanced shit, someone takes a fun wacky thing and combines it with dumbass high armor or other healing crap and it just completely ruins the balance.
I definitely wouldn't hate a tweak to atmospherics, maybe to the exothermic decay reactions currently used to ignite them.

I think single-tank bombs should be a thing, but I also think maaaaybe they're just a little too easy to make infinite maxcaps right now -- and I say that as part of a proud lineage of mad bombers who discovered a way to make arbitrary numbers of canister maxcaps with only Assmaint access under the old atmospherics code. There was a bit of artistry to it, lest you fuck up a mix and screw yourself out of your big booms for an entire round. I feel like that kind of risk isn't so much there with the current popular recipe.
Singlecaps while cool are basically an exploit that I made just as something of a loveletter to end off my time fucking with atmos, both me and cyclowns basically just theorycrafted it by talking random crap in discord about stuff that might be possible, and it ended up being seen as this be all end all which was really quite fucking stupid since there was so much to atmospherics, and I'm kind of dissapointed the damage it did to the atmospherics community.

Frankly I thought it'd be the end of it after I made the mix public, I was just ready for people to stop abusing something I made to make the game so wholly unfun, and at the time I didn't know how to code for ss13 so I figured that was the best way to get it removed, lo and behold it existed for multiple years after I stopped playing being used as some kind of crutch where it completely obsoleted everything else that could be interesting about atmos, maybe that's the fault of atmos as a job that bombs are the most interesting part but that's just how it is.

I think once the idea is so well known that it's boring it just needs to be removed, if people aren't at all surprised and are talking in ooc casually about singlecapping by name then it just needs to go. This is the benefit of being a constantly developed open source game, almost all of the content I personally code in is just stuff that I think is interesting and open ended so that someone can take advantage of unique mechanics in the game to do something hilarious. When it isn't fun anymore it gets nerfed / removed, big deal a lot of players had a lot of fun with it for the time that it was in, I think of it as me trying out a homebrew for the game or something.

All it takes is one person with interest to make a bunch of improvements to the game, look at Fikou's reworks to lavaland loot, probably closer to Kor's original vision for the loot in the first place since most of the megafauna drops were placeholder antag loot like the spellblade, and just overall more interesting while also being more balanced. The blood scythe is one of my favorite items, I just love items that bring ghosts back into the game in general since I think given that we're moving towards longer rounds it just makes sense to utilize those players waiting there as npcs basically.

tl;dr
allowing for the making of singlecaps by having open ended gas mechanics = cool
continually abusing the same thing every time you are antag and just straight up not being fun = not cool
retired ss13 coderman
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #634508

Stickymayhem wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:37 pm Yeah there have been timers coderbus has been overzealous sometimes but I agree that the vast majority of nerfs are down to a failure of administration to restrict abuse. In an ideal world we should have a D&D situation where of course you can break things and be OP in a million ways but you leave room for cool things to happen around that. You don't have to make the optimal decision every single instant and doing so inhibits fun.
It'd be kinda based if headmin/adminbus (?) were just like "Policy announcement meta-strat silent invisible bombs are now banned for a month so atmos players can think of other fun gimmicks while this one cools off. We like it too much to see it gone but its done too often now that every round is the same"

Gives me rp vibes
► Show Spoiler
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #634568

Shadowflame909 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:57 am It'd be kinda based if headmin/adminbus (?) were just like "Policy announcement meta-strat silent invisible bombs are now banned for a month so atmos players can think of other fun gimmicks while this one cools off. We like it too much to see it gone but its done too often now that every round is the same"
thats just gonna turn meta strats into mcribs. people will stop using them for the temporary ban duration and then immediately flood to using them as much as possible when they are available again. then this shitty cycle inevitably will be used to justify removal ("we have evidence that the server lives on without this existing, but when we unban it, everything becomes unfun again! clearly it should be removed.")
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #634575

Whoneedspacee wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:01 am tl;dr
allowing for the making of singlecaps by having open ended gas mechanics = cool
continually abusing the same thing every time you are antag and just straight up not being fun = not cool
This part of the post reminds me of xenobiology, where you're given a million things to make but only five of them ever get made.
And it used to be two(read: one) of them instead.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #634576

Kel wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:06 pm thats just gonna turn meta strats into mcribs.
this is perhaps the best and most powerful sentence I have ever read on this forum
Spoiler:
Ziiro
Byond Username: Ziiro
Github Username: Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #634605

Kel wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:06 pm
Shadowflame909 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:57 am It'd be kinda based if headmin/adminbus (?) were just like "Policy announcement meta-strat silent invisible bombs are now banned for a month so atmos players can think of other fun gimmicks while this one cools off. We like it too much to see it gone but its done too often now that every round is the same"
thats just gonna turn meta strats into mcribs. people will stop using them for the temporary ban duration and then immediately flood to using them as much as possible when they are available again. then this shitty cycle inevitably will be used to justify removal ("we have evidence that the server lives on without this existing, but when we unban it, everything becomes unfun again! clearly it should be removed.")
The dota 2 development strategy of a rotating meta to determine what works/what doesn't and trying shit for the sake of trying shit is pretty nice, actually. Might be cool.
Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #634621

Ziiro wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:13 am
The dota 2 development strategy of a rotating meta to determine what works/what doesn't and trying shit for the sake of trying shit is pretty nice, actually. Might be cool.
If enough things were patched out through config sure, but frankly I think the interesting part of the game is finding entirely new broken shit, it doesn't need to be on the scale of a station destroyer for it to be cool, people just need to add open ended interesting content that will let people do cool shit. One of the coolest things I've ever seen was just seeing the clown crystal from colossus mining, nothing super overpowered just a literally insane item that people would take to 11/10 and try to transform the entire station. This is just really cool but at a certain point being chucked into a clown crystal for the 20th time gets pretty old, and won't ever feel new again. If content would be removed and re-added it would literally need to be on the scale of years imo, just don't see that happening.
retired ss13 coderman
Anuv
Byond Username: Anuv

Post by Anuv » #635000

I feel like the anti-powercreep just got too heavy over time. Every little thing was patched out or replaced by some other system and it gradually just wore down the crazy fast-paced fun. It was sink or swim for a lot of stuff - and while that seems like it would turn away new players, it didn't. Pop always super high and people were always really engaged. I feel like a lot of negative control overtook fun things and that gradually wore down the game. Now SS13 has way more players than ever yet they're not coming here.
Qbmax32
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Post by Qbmax32 » #635015

I started playing in 2016 so I’m not nearly as old as some of the people in this thread but it’s weird being considered one of those old jaded players now.

I initially remember enjoying the paranoia and emergent rounds that came from having so many different types of antags, also the admin team back when I started playing were real Gs. Shoutout to Kor, Ausops and lziman. Due to college and stuff I don’t play as much but I have good memories here and seeing generations of players pass by brings a small tear to my eye.
my admin feedback thread

quotes
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:02 am Qbmax32 is quite literally one of the dumbest individuals I have ever had the misfortune of coming into contact with. He has zero redeemable traits, and honestly I have to suppress my gag reflex every time he shows up in a conversation.
Malkraz wrote:YES
DRINK THE PISS QB
angelstarri wrote:qbmax is a retard
imsxz wrote:mythic please stop you’ve hit rock bottom and you KEEP DIGGING
deedubya wrote:I'll defend to the death your right to scream "NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER" on a constant basis, but I'll also equally defend the right of people to call you a fuckin' pillock for doing it.
datorangebottle wrote:what, not having to act like customer service in a volunteer customer service position?

Here's a rebuttal: you're literally in a customer service slash celebrity position. Volunteer or not.
Malkraz wrote:can you stop posting this shit
Nalzul wrote:Fuck Blob (can you imagine how hot it would be to be gangbanged by a bunch of blobbernauts, the blob, and spores)
Wyzack wrote:qbmax your pathetic display of abhorrent burgercraft has brought shame onto the omnivores
Plapatin wrote:i AM the senate
BONERMASTER wrote:I am a big thinker, and it would only be logical if my character had a big head as well. And glasses. Because only people that think, wear glasses.
feem wrote:i tried to send canisters of urine to the station but ended up turning all oxygen into urine and breaking lavaland and also breathing
Anonmare wrote:Each post in this thread can't settle on what it wants to be, but yet, each one is more cursed than the last.
Beesting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.
Vile Beggar wrote:i don't like this thread
imsxz wrote:nervore
FantasticFwoosh wrote:I will whisper sweet nothings that will confuse and perhaps scare you a little, but enhance the experience no-less.
afelinidisfinetoo wrote:By the way, the person who posted that catgirl porn on the github page was me. If anyone wants my private stash just PM me
Nervere wrote:Anything for a femoid.....
Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead
CitrusGender wrote:god i love it when people feed me my own fried legs
Qbmax32
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Post by Qbmax32 » #635016

oranges wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:31 am mfw 2017 players acting like they old

mfw 2019 admin calling themselves a boomer

fuck off zoomers

especially you imsxz, you fucking new ass fuck face you spit on the grave of /tg/station if old players could see people like you claiming things in their name they'd fuck you so hard you would forget your own name, rule 3 was literally the golden standard back in the day

you're a fucking joke
kors a pretty old player and he likes me. kevinz, yakumochen, zaross, laz0r, forcefulcjs, stickymayhem etc are the boomers that everyone talked about when i started playing, and they play literally the exact same way i did. not sure which old players you are talking about

unfathomably based btw, loling at low tier murderboners like imsxz and naloac trying to harken back to the “good old days”
my admin feedback thread

quotes
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:02 am Qbmax32 is quite literally one of the dumbest individuals I have ever had the misfortune of coming into contact with. He has zero redeemable traits, and honestly I have to suppress my gag reflex every time he shows up in a conversation.
Malkraz wrote:YES
DRINK THE PISS QB
angelstarri wrote:qbmax is a retard
imsxz wrote:mythic please stop you’ve hit rock bottom and you KEEP DIGGING
deedubya wrote:I'll defend to the death your right to scream "NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER" on a constant basis, but I'll also equally defend the right of people to call you a fuckin' pillock for doing it.
datorangebottle wrote:what, not having to act like customer service in a volunteer customer service position?

Here's a rebuttal: you're literally in a customer service slash celebrity position. Volunteer or not.
Malkraz wrote:can you stop posting this shit
Nalzul wrote:Fuck Blob (can you imagine how hot it would be to be gangbanged by a bunch of blobbernauts, the blob, and spores)
Wyzack wrote:qbmax your pathetic display of abhorrent burgercraft has brought shame onto the omnivores
Plapatin wrote:i AM the senate
BONERMASTER wrote:I am a big thinker, and it would only be logical if my character had a big head as well. And glasses. Because only people that think, wear glasses.
feem wrote:i tried to send canisters of urine to the station but ended up turning all oxygen into urine and breaking lavaland and also breathing
Anonmare wrote:Each post in this thread can't settle on what it wants to be, but yet, each one is more cursed than the last.
Beesting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.
Vile Beggar wrote:i don't like this thread
imsxz wrote:nervore
FantasticFwoosh wrote:I will whisper sweet nothings that will confuse and perhaps scare you a little, but enhance the experience no-less.
afelinidisfinetoo wrote:By the way, the person who posted that catgirl porn on the github page was me. If anyone wants my private stash just PM me
Nervere wrote:Anything for a femoid.....
Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead
CitrusGender wrote:god i love it when people feed me my own fried legs
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #635108

i hear that mcribs are supposed to be pretty good though so maybe that's not such a bad thing if you think about it
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #635200

PKPenguin321 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:12 pm
i hear that mcribs are supposed to be pretty good though so maybe that's not such a bad thing if you think about it
I tried one and it was mediocre at best
I tried another to be sure that wasn't a fluke and it was also meh

Too salty, sauce is bland, meat isn't even tender like actual proper ribs are so good at being.

McRibs aren't actually good, they're just hyped up because you can't get them often enough to realize how bad they are.
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #635235

Three things come to mind about older /tg/ station that I think have kind of been lost - it was unpredictable, devil-may care, and there was always a story. Things would go wrong fast, there were all sorts of blatantly imbalanced and wacky things you could do with the game systems if you knew how, and sometimes you would just die very fast with no real way to avoid it and through no fault of your own.

The busted/abusable parts of the game weren't without issue, some players would constantly make use of them to be obnoxious powergamers, and sometimes you'd see the absolute nonsense used over and over, but at its best they were rare and funny when they were used - one shift out of 20 where the station is slowly depopulated by a robust maniac lurking in the maint tunnels with an ebow was great, 3 in a row was less great, although even with better moderation I'm not sure there was any way for them to survive the shift from a more tabletop-gamey audience to a more team deathmatchey one. "powergaming is fine if you do it rarely" is a real fine line and probably very hard to enforce

As for the lethality, I do think that's the big design issue. Yes, one hit stun based combat was a bit silly if you look at it from a player versus player level, but as a vessel for generating wacky stories about a deathtrap of a station and the chaos that ensues, it was far better. Combat was fast, sometimes a half-naked assistant would overpower even the most robust and well armed players, or a handful of cultists would turn the tables on a security team, or a miner would show up and just rip and tear their way through the station - but the constant danger kept things paranoia inducing and unpredictable in a way that got lost somewhere along the line, and there was a general acceptance that sometimes the bad guy is just going to shoot you dead and then you'll have to spend the next 45 minutes as a ghost, or a revolutionary will break into security, kill everyone and start handing out guns. The singularity being lost is probably the most obvious example of that philosophy shift.

Another thing is it seems like the characters are less memorable - back in the day there were at least a dozen names where anyone who played regularly would instantly recognize as "oh yeah, that guy!" (or, in some cases "oh no, gene ball got antag again") now it seems like there's a lot less of that, and it's mostly just the vaguely-fetishy ones people recognize (which, those always existed, I remember old medbay). Not sure how to put it exactly, because it wasn't exactly roleplaying in the traditional sense - most of the names I remember fondly were blatant references, and they didn't spend a ton of time sitting at the bar or library talking with eachother, but there was a certain consistency of character and style of crazy stories involving them.

I guess the tl;dr would be that the player experience was a lot less fair and a lot more imbalanced, but there was a understanding that the important part of SS13 wasn't the moment to moment gameplay, (that's always been kinda shit and its always gonna be kinda shit), and it definitely wasn't the PVP, it was the way that when everything came together each round was a unique story.
vostosispa
Byond Username: Vostosispa

Post by vostosispa » #635606

i think any such claims being made that the game in its modern state is more "balanced" is a misnomer: as i see it, things were more balanced back then, because the nature of single-stun combat, as well as the ubiquity of stunning tools (disarm, tabling, banana peel, etc.), meant that crew members could still put up a fight despite their position on the station hierarchy. now, it is not clear to me that, say, an assistant has any means of deterrence when being pursued by a person of higher status. at least back then i could yakkety sax and get a lucky push, or slip a sec-off on a bar of soap! now, i take ten disabler shots to the spine as i saunter down the hallway like a bent-backed, sallow virgin-man: THIS IS NOT FUN, ENGAGING, OR "BALANCED"!!!

any notion of "balance" nowadays is, in truth, just blanket nerfing of mechanics, more likely in service of a sort of unspecified "realism" than of anything else - this is the necessary distinction one must make. "balance" perhaps should not even be the end-goal of a game such as this, anyway, but if "balance" is what is used as justification for the nerfing or removal of features that were in fact more balanced than their replacements, then interpretation of the code changes on the coders' behalf is erroneous. in essence, the game did not have an organized code vision back then, but what it has now is just as visionless - only, it seems to masquerade as some sort of principled or well-designed game, when in fact, it is just as messy, and without any of the fun stuff! there has not been a sufficient replacement of what once was good, chaotic, dynamic, and fun on behalf of the coding team! most fun things have been removed/nerfed because they were not cleared by the pesky nerd code-council due to issues of most likely "balance" and "realism"! "balance" and "realism" do not make alone make a good game! your player numbers reflect this!
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #635615

EagleWiz wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:28 am Another thing is it seems like the characters are less memorable - back in the day there were at least a dozen names where anyone who played regularly would instantly recognize as "oh yeah, that guy!" (or, in some cases "oh no, gene ball got antag again") now it seems like there's a lot less of that, and it's mostly just the vaguely-fetishy ones people recognize (which, those always existed, I remember old medbay). Not sure how to put it exactly, because it wasn't exactly roleplaying in the traditional sense - most of the names I remember fondly were blatant references, and they didn't spend a ton of time sitting at the bar or library talking with eachother, but there was a certain consistency of character and style of crazy stories involving them.
hahaha reminds me of checking cams as warden to see if gene ball was moving. if he's moving, he's antag, if he's afk he's not. i vaguely remember people calling out on comms that gene ball is traitor just cuz hes not braindead lmao.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #635616

gene ball traitor rounds were so recognized that one time he just went geneticist, killed me and stole my identity so he could traitor in peace

pretty iconic actually
► Show Spoiler
Laz0rgrunt
Byond Username: Laz0r

Post by Laz0rgrunt » #635919

I cannot remember why I began playing on TG, but IIRC it had to do with it being off the BYOND browser, another low RP server, and something different from noxious net which is how I had found out about the game originally.

As to what kept me playing I'll try to keep my thoughts organized because TGstation had and still has a lot of things that make it so great.

1. roleplay quality without over-binding rules
This is something that servers like nox, hippie, and modern day TG had lacked/lack which is to say the freedom to not put effort into roleplaying in an interesting way while still being populated by people who DO try to put an effort in. This kind of playerbase gave way to many goofy and mutually enjoyable RP situations to happen that weren't as obnoxiously boring as baystation's were, and without being laden down by the degeneracy and edginess of that OTHER server (which had otherwise decent roleplay situations), or the egregious validhunting of modern TG. Modern TG, especially manuel, seems to be ridden with low effort RP that is utterly uninteresting much in the vein of how Hippiestation was. That being said I was also often lazy with RP so I can't criticize others who are similarly lazy. Also my memory is bad and the RP may just have always been poor and I'm just remembering through rose tinted glasses.

2. high octane combat
one of two main reasons I played TG for years. Mainline direct combat (ignoring bombs and other creative gimmick things) had a very high skill floor/ceiling but with an easily obtained gear power maximum, wherein with minimal preparation you could reasonably contend with everyone else even if they had all manner of power-gamed or antagonist advantages simply with easily obtained batons, tasers, spray bottles, and lockers. Furthermore, due to how lethal and potent combat tools were, you could contend in situations wherein you were outnumbered or outgunned simply by intelligent and tactical play. You could use slipping while feigning retreat, lockers to provide a shield during a fight or retreat, and clutch drag bodies while killing a person to increase your odds of overcoming combat situations. disarm was a lot more powerful and gave the person with absolutely nothing a reasonably powerful last resort. You had a lot of very powerful ways to win engagements if you used your tools properly.

I remember in particular the fun had "dueling" the other prominent powergamers of the day and learning to anticipate their tricks and in return trying to outsmart them or catch them off guard. Even the slightest mistake could mean instant failure and you had to be absolutely perfect in dealing with other robust players in order to beat them. it was a very high-octane gameplay when you were fighting competent players and the adrenaline rush of it was very compelling, and very rewarding whenever you succeeded and overcame.

Nowadays combat has been changed to be heavily anti-murderbone and victim-forgiving, while the server is yet still (terry anyways) populated with validhunters. This means that playing antagonist is a lot less rewarding for both those who like murderboning and those who like gimmicks that come at the expense of other players having to be captured (ignoring lowpop). It also means individuals within group antags, or security, have a harder time carrying against losing odds wherein the other side dominates from a number and gear perspective. This also means that when a group of competant antags actually work together to murderbone they are basically unstoppable and due to a lack of cloning it means once you die you're dead for good, unlike before where all it took was some assistant new arrival to throw you in a cloning pod and give the crew a chance to be restored.

2.5 chaos unfolding
This was said already but there was a lot of ways the round could go to shit and very quickly. Due to the lethality of combat and all the methods of creating a doomsday like botany gas bombs, plasma fires, radiation-based autism, rogue/hacked AI's, singularities, single tank bombs, a capable murderboner, etc. there were a great many ways things could go wrong and often did go wrong. Due to the amount of hugboxing and removals that has happened these doomsday events are far less common. Doomsday rounds are now far and few between and the lack of them does little to differentiate the rounds from one another.

3. wide and diverse sandbox to accomplish different ends.
the sandbox was always excellent for the reason stated in the sub header, to keep it short and sweet. for combat, or construction, for art and creativity, for helping other players, exploring, or for roleplay purposes you had a lot of freedom and viable options to accomplish what you wanted to accomplish. Still mostly intact today, although the ruining of the ID system, randomization of door wires based on departments, forced scarcity of insulated gloves, the ruining of the e-mag, and the buff to r-windows make places a lot more tedious to try and enter. Also, botany and research are worse than they were before due to the time gating added, and the removal of the all powerful omni-lathe. Still great though, and there have been a lot of great changes to it for those interested in the non-combat aspects of the sandbox, wherein time required for entry isn't a concern.

overall though the changes have dullened the game for me and leave me with little desire to continue playing often here, especially given that there exists one other LRP server that is actually good and hits all the same spots mentioned here that old TG did for me. Like I said though, the sandbox is still pretty great although after having experimented with it so much it has ceased to entertain me. For the newer player though, it is a treasure trove. TG is definitely a good server for new players.

P.S. - all of this is ignoring the state of the community at the time wherein I remember most fondly (2014-16?). I for one enjoyed the players I played with then, and for the most part I enjoy them as they are now. That being said, I still don't feel the same spark of life in the interactions with players that I did then, and I think that's aptly explained in the first point I make. All I can say is that I will fondly remember the fun times had all those years ago, in a time of my life where I was in desperate need of the comradery and fun that this server's fine people provided to each other.
Swept
Byond Username: Swept

Post by Swept » #636046

Whoneedspacee wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:24 am
Ziiro wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:13 am
If enough things were patched out through config sure, but frankly I think the interesting part of the game is finding entirely new broken shit, it doesn't need to be on the scale of a station destroyer for it to be cool, people just need to add open ended interesting content that will let people do cool shit. One of the coolest things I've ever seen was just seeing the clown crystal from colossus mining, nothing super overpowered just a literally insane item that people would take to 11/10 and try to transform the entire station. This is just really cool but at a certain point being chucked into a clown crystal for the 20th time gets pretty old, and won't ever feel new again. If content would be removed and re-added it would literally need to be on the scale of years imo, just don't see that happening.
Every reworked feature added in recent years seems like it was designed to be as exciting as filing papers. Complex =/= Fun.
DON'T PLAY SPACE STATION 14
Naloac
Byond Username: Naloac

Post by Naloac » #636048

funny how two people in here slinging shit are only known for not drinking their own piss, and the other being that they were so hated on the server they tried to admin that they wanted to remove rules from it.
Timberpoes wrote: Lepi was right all along.
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=24032
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #636127

Naloac wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:00 am funny how two people in here slinging shit are only known for not drinking their own piss
sorry what
Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #636191

Naloac wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:00 am funny how two people in here slinging shit are only known for not drinking their own piss, and the other being that they were so hated on the server they tried to admin that they wanted to remove rules from it.
who
retired ss13 coderman
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #636236

I think Swept was supposed to drink his piss at one point and didn’t I don’t really remember though
ArcaneDefence
Byond Username: ArcaneDefence

Post by ArcaneDefence » #636244

GODDAMN IT QB I WAS FUCKING EMOTIONALLY INVESTED IN YOU DRINKING THE PISS