Older players - what did you enjoy about playing on /tg/?

General SS13 Chat
imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

Older players - what did you enjoy about playing on /tg/?

Post by imsxz » #633108

Did something in particular initially catch your interest? And why did you keep playing? What do you think of changes that have happened in the past few years? If you quit, why? Would you return?

I started playing ss13 on paradise station, where I was hated by the admins for playing to win/killing a lot of people as antagonist, and eventually got banned because of it. I was excited to try out /tg/, as everyone said antags could do whatever they want, powergaming in general was fine, and the server was in general had a lot more freedom and action than I was used to. I had a ton of fun on /tg/ for a good few years as a player and admin, until eventually I got bored and burnt out. I still play a few rounds every now and then, but everything I enjoyed about the game has been slowly phased out, with the most recent rule change being the biggest disgrace to the /tg/ spirit I've seen in a while.
► Show Spoiler

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
Naloac
Byond Username: Naloac

Re: Older players - what did you enjoy about playing on /tg/?

Post by Naloac » #633110

Boomer headmin coming in to say, the interconnecting systems and how they could be used for fun chaos and combat *aka the best part of ss13 that everyone doesnt talk about*. overtime the combat got more and more stale the old 1 click with counters got replaced with a 1 click with absolutely aids counters to do without constantly sweating. the one click was the worst part then it was doubled down on. kinda sad
Timberpoes wrote: Lepi was right all along.
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=24032
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #633121

imsxz wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:44 am Did something in particular initially catch your interest? And why did you keep playing? What do you think of changes that have happened in the past few years? If you quit, why? Would you return?
The sandbox is what I fell in love with first, getting over the initial learning curve and realizing the world of content I had to explore was a wonderful feeling that I’ve been unsuccessfully trying to re-create for a while.

Then it was the players. In a world already full of fascinating and complex content, all the different players of a shift and their interweaving narratives served to take the possibilities to an entire different dimension.

In the start I was more interested in a fast-paced, chaotic experience. I liked combat, I liked tiding, I liked interacting with friends - these things were really, really engaging and made for a high unlike any other. I remember riding these awesome highs during succesful murderbones. I remember riding these awesome highs as I somehow rallied a bunch of people to some absurd cause, creating unique and incredible rounds.

I’ve never enjoyed the game as much as I did then. That’s when I started playing. I believe if I hadn’t touched this game until today, I would be able to have just as rich of an experience.
[this space reserved]
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #633122

mfw 2017 players acting like they old

mfw 2019 admin calling themselves a boomer

fuck off zoomers
Last edited by PKPenguin321 on Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:23 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: personal attacko begone presto zammo
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #633123

>oranges doesnt play so he has nothing he likes
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #633127

I miss old genetics (the Gene is for Genetic), where you could turn yourself into a walking monster. Seeing someone through a wall, bashing down said wall, talking mad shit, then just fucking leaving because they can't do nuffin about it. Eventually everyone would either accept that walls were being smashed, or band together to lynch you. I loved cloning, and riffling through all the corpses pockets for anything good.

I'm trying to decide if I miss old 1 click gg no re combat. It certainly made things more paranoid. The casual backing away out of taser range with any security officer that wants to talk to you that would turn into misunderstandings. The cooldown on most of these so they were good against a single person, but not a mob (fuck flashbangs as a result).

Both of those examples require a bit of that rule to be fun to play. Yeah okay you got a taser then murderboned the station. Here's your prize, but did you have fun?
I remember spending much more time disguising my identity and hiding than you need to now, because there's always time to run.

(Holy shit I started typing this and by the time I finished the four posts above me happened)
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #633128

Nabski wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:43 am I'm trying to decide if I miss old 1 click gg no re combat. It certainly made things more paranoid. The casual backing away out of taser range with any security officer that wants to talk to you that would turn into misunderstandings. The cooldown on most of these so they were good against a single person, but not a mob (fuck flashbangs as a result).
the paranoia wasn't worth the absolute shit taste left in your mouth after being parapen c4'ed into oblivion for the 30th round in a row at roundstart.
Owegno
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Owegno

Post by Owegno » #633129

I liked our old rule 3. I'm glad to see it return even if its rule 12 now. The fact it was ever removed was the biggest disgrace to the /tg/ spirit I've seen in a while.
The Rules wrote: This is a roleplaying game. The purpose of the game is to have fun roleplaying. Being an asshole, who ruins other player’s roleplay experience, just to win, is considered a ‘play-to-win’ style of playing. You can and will be banned for this playstyle. Be considerate of other players’ experience.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #633130

There is a core difference between interactive play and noninteractive, and I'm definitely more someone learning towards the former even if means making something less reliable or less all-powerful an answer. More chance to engage with what is happening, even if it is at a position of weakness, adds to the tension on both sides in a positive manner.

On the topic of the thread, I enjoy the game still and no code change has had a meaningful impact on my ability to keep playing so far (except maybe just stuff being left actually broken and unmaintained that I otherwise did enjoy). Even the initial rules for Manuel felt like a good way to enforce some of the honor rules I imposed upon myself just to limit my options intentionally. It felt like more doors could be opened if the expectation wasn't just to blast every baddie away instantly, and I like crawling back from defeat.

What will drive me off is administrative overreach getting to a point where it starts to make the game play out more artificially and potentially really stagnate how the round develops. I'm a strong advocate of passive admin presence. The more admins feel the need to insert themselves unnecessarily, the more things will start to feel like someone else telling the story. And fun tends to be a subjective element. The mentioned rule feels like it's simply rule 1 but with more ambiguity, and rule 12 precedent 2 like it could get abused fairly heavily given how broad the scope is (irregardless of precedent 1). For the light RP servers, I think things will remain the same. Nothing in this rule really wasn't being enforced already. It's something that got Asher Clarke walked out the door, for example. MRP, I'm not so sure.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #633134

Owegno wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:05 am I liked our old rule 3. I'm glad to see it return even if its rule 12 now. The fact it was ever removed was the biggest disgrace to the /tg/ spirit I've seen in a while.
The Rules wrote: This is a roleplaying game. The purpose of the game is to have fun roleplaying. Being an asshole, who ruins other player’s roleplay experience, just to win, is considered a ‘play-to-win’ style of playing. You can and will be banned for this playstyle. Be considerate of other players’ experience.
the only bad part is they didnt' just use the original rules wording which is complete soul
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #633135

oranges wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:42 am you literally just listed a who's who of powergamer retards (apart from kor and kevin) that are part of the long list of reasons why so many cancerous newfags like you are choking up this server.
this is funny to me because at one time kevinz was considered the quintessential powergamer.

I don't consider myself an older player as I started playing in January of 2016, but I'll still chime in since I've quit playing for the most part and that seems to be the target demographic of these questions.

The overall part of the game that caught my interest was the paranoia and sandbox aspect, and the fun interactions with other players. I remember reading an archive of ss13 greentexts and it looked fun so I decided to give it a try. I was also in early high school at the time and broke so any free game was much appreciated. There honestly wasn't much special about tg that caught my eye. Good player count, mechanically was easier to learn than goon. I started playing on a paradise looking server, don't even remember which one it was though. After a couple weeks I stayed because of the players, my built up familiarity with tgs mechanics, and because I didn't feel like starting over with the job unlocks on another server.

Since I haven't been actively playing since 2020 I don't have much input on the changes. The two years I was most actively playing will always be the golden age of tg station to me, just as 2014 might be the golden age to older players and 2020 might be the golden age to newer players. My theory is that people will always look back fondly on the time when they started playing and call any change absolute shit whether it's good or not. I'm worse at the current combat because I'm unpracticed in it, but I have no clue if it's better for the game or not. Same for the changes with id access and others I may not be familiar with.

I quit because I got busy with actual school work (college is way more work and less free time than high school), and a loss of interest in the game. After a couple thousand hours and seeing behind the scenes either by looking at code or adminning, the game just doesn't hold the same magic anymore. I definitely miss it at times though.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #633136

BeeSting12 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:38 am I don't consider myself an older player as I started playing in January of 2016, but I'll still chime in since I've quit playing for the most part and that seems to be the target demographic of these questions.
Dude, I think our one major interaction was you arresting me for spreading an endless quantity of banana peels across the station with admin abused prototype clown shoes that I was just handed by a dude in a red hardsuit (probably an admin). All I could think of at the time was 'man I can't believe I'm being arrested by Edward Sloan himself' while I was dodging golden bolts and laughing the whole time. I genuinely felt like I was interacting with an extremely older and wiser player who, to my brand new player self, was like getting a moment to put those stories to the test that other players had told me about. You might not think you didn't have an impact beyond your golden age period but it definitely did for me during my onboarding with the game.

(Then the skeleton army broke me out of jail. What a weird round that was.)
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #633140

NecromancerAnne wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:51 am
BeeSting12 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:38 am I don't consider myself an older player as I started playing in January of 2016, but I'll still chime in since I've quit playing for the most part and that seems to be the target demographic of these questions.
Dude, I think our one major interaction was you arresting me for spreading an endless quantity of banana peels across the station with admin abused prototype clown shoes that I was just handed by a dude in a red hardsuit (probably an admin). All I could think of at the time was 'man I can't believe I'm being arrested by Edward Sloan himself' while I was dodging golden bolts and laughing the whole time. I genuinely felt like I was interacting with an extremely older and wiser player who, to my brand new player self, was like getting a moment to put those stories to the test that other players had told me about. You might not think you didn't have an impact beyond your golden age period but it definitely did for me during my onboarding with the game.

(Then the skeleton army broke me out of jail. What a weird round that was.)
Haha I think I actually remember that incident. Mostly me wondering where the hell infinite banana shoes came from and which admin ran this event. It's a novel feeling, realizing that I've been around longer than most current players.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #633146

I liked the power progression. Even if you weren't an antag I could consistantly end the round as a powerhouse stronger then antags or on the same level as them. (Ala Statue, Changeling, or Lesser Ash Drake)

Tis all gone now though.
► Show Spoiler
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #633150

Shadowflame909 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:40 am I liked the power progression. Even if you weren't an antag I could consistantly end the round as a powerhouse stronger then antags or on the same level as them. (Ala Statue, Changeling, or Lesser Ash Drake)

Tis all gone now though.
Good.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #633157

Nabski wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:43 am I miss old genetics (the Gene is for Genetic), where you could turn yourself into a walking monster. Seeing someone through a wall, bashing down said wall, talking mad shit, then just fucking leaving because they can't do nuffin about it. Eventually everyone would either accept that walls were being smashed, or band together to lynch you. I loved cloning, and riffling through all the corpses pockets for anything good.

I'm trying to decide if I miss old 1 click gg no re combat. It certainly made things more paranoid. The casual backing away out of taser range with any security officer that wants to talk to you that would turn into misunderstandings. The cooldown on most of these so they were good against a single person, but not a mob (fuck flashbangs as a result).

Both of those examples require a bit of that rule to be fun to play. Yeah okay you got a taser then murderboned the station. Here's your prize, but did you have fun?
I remember spending much more time disguising my identity and hiding than you need to now, because there's always time to run.

(Holy shit I started typing this and by the time I finished the four posts above me happened)
Same. Old genetics was a lot of fun.
As for Orange calling out the new players, great. But remember the score
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #633159

BeeSting12 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:38 am
oranges wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:42 am you literally just listed a who's who of powergamer retards (apart from kor and kevin) that are part of the long list of reasons why so many cancerous newfags like you are choking up this server.
this is funny to me because at one time kevinz was considered the quintessential powergamer.
they are reformed and I will not hold it against them
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #633160

Helios wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:35 am Same. Old genetics was a lot of fun.
As for Orange calling out the new players, great. But remember the score
cow rp player
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #633164

i started in 2013 on goon, for whatever reason it never quite stuck with me and I quickly switched over to tg and pretty much became obsessed with it.

my enjoyment in the game was solidified in late 2015 when i made the caves away mission and got a lot of positive reception from players. i honestly enjoy reading stories from players where they had a cool experience because of something i made, so i just kept making stuff and playing less (the player to coder pipeline is real).

in short, cool sandbox with a low barrier to entry for contributing and an active playerbase makes for one of the most unqiue and interesting games i've ever seen online.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
IkeTG
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Post by IkeTG » #633165

I am bad at most video games due to a lack of skill so that always made my rounds more interesting. My style was always to be incompetent and as time went on it became harder to do what was fun when people like imsxz started becoming admin and changing /tg/Station 13 culture. I could no longer play a round and enjoy my time spent without having to figure out what I was doing. I originally subscribed to imsxz's youtube channel in an effort to bridge a gap between our understanding of the game, but reading his latest take on what is obviously a step in the right direction with Rule 12 has forced my hand and I will unsubscribe from his channel; It will make it harder to watch this videos when he releases them again.
Helios

Post by Helios » #633166

It wasn't just COW RP, there was a bunch of yugioh games too.
Swept
Byond Username: Swept

Post by Swept » #633168

get fucking gone already.
oranges could you please not use the word f*g. As a bisexual, I find that word extremely offensive.
DON'T PLAY SPACE STATION 14
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #633174

good afternoon,

the thing that interested me most in space station 13, and the thing that kept me around, was the realization that you can interact with almost anything and everything you see around you. that was a very cool 'wooooah' moment for me, and has kept me around for over a decade.

as well as this i think the funny edginess of ss13, the chaos, that kind of stuff is what this game flourishes on.

as i think anyone who has played for a long time like me can attest the interest in ss13 comes and goes in waves, there are big waves where i play a lot, and lulls when i play very little. the nice thing about coming back is that every time i come back to play a bunch there's always some great new stuff to play around with. the constant evolution of our game is a great thing, and helps increase replayability to a great degree.

it's joked about that 'they always come back' when someone quits, but y'know i don't think its that much of a joke. :)

best wishes,
bobbah 'bee' brown

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #633177

I'm not an SS13 oldie by any stretch of the imagination, but I loved the chaos. Maybe things seem less chaotic now because I'm better at the game, but /tg/ captured the feel of being locked in a metal box with a couple dozen mental patients hurdling through space more than Goon or Bay ever did for me.
► Show Spoiler
Swept

Post by Swept » #633181

I can't really speak specifically for tgstation but I played on an old tg downstream and I loved organic chaos that stemmed from locking a bunch of psychos in a destructible box together.

I feel like the recent policy discussions and code changes are a result of players being afraid of dying. Personally i'm not really sure how other players manage to play back-to-back green bar-rp rounds because i'd honestly fall asleep at my desk.

While combat in SS13 is janky and garbage the fucking rush of hunting or being hunted is an amazing feeling and I don't like the shift towards less chaos or even lamer - "admin-managed chaos".

I'm fucking garbage at expressing my opinions on the matter anyway so just go read what NecromancerAnne wrote in their third paragraph since they supplied what's basically my opinion on the matter
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #633184

Swept wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:36 pm While combat in SS13 is janky and garbage the fucking rush of hunting or being hunted is an amazing feeling and I don't like the shift towards less chaos or even lamer - "admin-managed chaos".
Fucking yes exactly this.

A traitor blowing holes in the station to the point that everyone is clamoring for his head and the only safe option is to put on a space suit and circle the station looking for a way to get back on and get to the shuttle, until security actually puts on suits too because they KNOW you're out there and you have a space fight, with at least one person drifting off into the distance with no way back.

A changeling reviving and using last resort RIGHT before being cremated, and now the crew is on the hunt for corpses it might use as well as watching out for just the slug.

NOT cultists being arrested and using recall cult members to get them out of security. That's lame. YES having a hidden base with fifty fucking runes to manage all your spells and some sneaky conspirators trying to hide out while security is trashing departments looking for where the cult might be.

The original overly complicated too many fucking reagent clock cult, slowly building forward a wall of turrets in medbay and retreating back behind them when people are after you, like some disgusting blob gameplay.

Heretic where your abilities were all pretty much useless except for a short range jaunt, and the ability to say "fuck you I'm leaving because I have a bag of 20 knives". I think I only ascended like, once as heretic but that CHASE.

Wizard with your main spell being traps and spacetime distortion and just, having the crew on your ass because they know if they can kill you it's the next round.

Nuke ops are meh. War sucks, but it's less awful now that things are dynamic.

The entire game mode of Revs near the end, as a last head.

I wrote most of these from the antag perspective, but it applies from both sides.
imsxz

Post by imsxz » #633185

idk why you're being so hostile, i just always felt that /tg/station was "the fun server"(compared to the popular competitors at the time: bay, para, citadel, hippie, etc) before I even started playing. that's the spirit of /tg/ to me. I apologize if I offended your snoozefest heritage.

you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Swept

Post by Swept » #633186

imsxz wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:08 pm

idk why you're being so hostile, i just always felt that /tg/station was "the fun server"(compared to the popular competitors at the time: bay, para, citadel, hippie, etc) before I even started playing. that's the spirit of /tg/ to me. I apologize if I offended your snoozefest heritage.
Dude! You have to be jaded and bury your personality under a mountain of irony and hostility!

Dude! You can't remember the good old days because they're not MY good old days!

Dude! I like sucking big cock!
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #633188

Is 2015 old enough I don't know you're all ultra boomers here.

Sort of two sides that I enjoyed. One side was roleplaying in fun scenarios and getting invested in your character, or just talking to friends. Other side was the competitive aspect of combat and fighting. The latter side is pretty unique to TG, since LRP has the most chaotic rounds with the most fighting. I hope that's preserved after rule 12. The most fun I've had, though, involves the first side and those RP moments, but those sorta rounds were much harder to come by typically since they required more creativity and innovation or rare coincidences/events to start them off. Almost every round had combat, in varying degrees of intensity (the most intense obviously making it more fun), but not every round has the spark for the first aspect.

If you hyper-fixate on the first aspect and get too invested in your character and the social aspect of the game, you'll probably get frustrated during the chaotic rounds that get in the way of your peace, or you might just be bored when there's not anything interesting happening. If you hyperfixate on the second aspect and play every round like TDM, you'll probably burnout eventually since it gets repetitive. It's good to do both and waft back and forth.
Spoiler:
imsxz

Post by imsxz » #633189

NecromancerAnne wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:08 am What will drive me off is administrative overreach getting to a point where it starts to make the game play out more artificially and potentially really stagnate how the round develops. I'm a strong advocate of passive admin presence. The more admins feel the need to insert themselves unnecessarily, the more things will start to feel like someone else telling the story. And fun tends to be a subjective element.

terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #633191

the playerbase was entirely sourced from people who came from a tabletop and/or roleplaying background and there was no need to talk about roleplaying rules. its what everybody did and wanted to do, but being good at the game and not handicapping yourself wasn't seen as something bad or evil. roleplay and mastery of the system went hand in hand.
i also liked being able to instantly place tables by activating an item in my hand, then instantly passive grabbing somebody and instantly placing them on the table for a hardstun

imsxz wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:30 pm
NecromancerAnne wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:08 am What will drive me off is administrative overreach getting to a point where it starts to make the game play out more artificially and potentially really stagnate how the round develops. I'm a strong advocate of passive admin presence. The more admins feel the need to insert themselves unnecessarily, the more things will start to feel like someone else telling the story. And fun tends to be a subjective element.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #633192

a bit of context: i started playing ss13 (not on Jaraxxus) sometime in 2012. for the first few months, i played on various hub servers. i can't really remember many of their names, but i do remember Nox and Liberty. i avoided goon because i heard the admins were very ban-happy against new players to filter out people they didn't like. eventually, i started playing the 4chan servers now that i was more comfortable with the game, although i mostly played /vg/ rather than /tg/. got permabanned from liberty station and /vg/ for somewhat trivial reasons. made a new account in 2014 and started playing /tg/ full time.

reason #1 why i stuck to /tg/ is because the admin team was way more chill, but functional. nox basically didnt have rules for specific players because they were bankrolling the server (takara), and they were premier griefers (think bombing the entire station as nonantag). i wasn't some sort of habitual griefer but back then i still had that new player shitterness that made me want to fuck with things for fun. by the time i played /tg/ full time that was mostly gone but i still had the freedom to do a lot of shit with no trouble.
reason #2 would have to be the community's atmosphere. the competitive atmosphere back then was basically nothing compared to now, the worst it got was someone getting salty in deadchat. admittedly this isn't the greatest reason for "why i enjoyed /tg/" because it's based entirely in hindsight... literally no server that i know of was particularly competitive back then.
reason #3 would be the homies. ended up kind of meshing into a clique pretty fast on basil, and once you're friends with a good section of the concurrent players it's hard to want to play anywhere else.
finally, the most controversial reason: erp. not because of the erp itself, but because it spawned a unique form of entertainment when half the station would catch wind of a potential erp session and hunt it down with lethal prejudice. always loved seeing like 12 sitting in dorms ready to obliterate whoever was erping in a bolted dorm room. often not even a blob spawning can motivate people to this level of immediate violence...
Helios

Post by Helios » #633195

I liked when admins pressed buttons like monkey round once a month. One time after an admin pressed the monkey button blob spawned on the station, and we all died because it was the bruise pack medicine era, and monkeys couldn't heal other monkeys.
I don't like when admins pressed buttons that caused the server to crash. One time I teamed up with captain as Wizard he promoted me to his second in command and gave me his spare ID, and I got him a couple sets of wizard robes, and a left over spell from my tome (I don't remember if he picked Jaunt or Fireball). And then 5 minutes later an admin spawned new kudzu that crashed the server.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #633201

because you're being straight up duplicitious and attacking admins who are literally just restoring the existing order.

That you're stupid enough to think we ever did anything other than laugh at and tolerate powergamers is not my problem

Ps if you think tgstation is a snoozefest then I hear trouble in terrorist town has more action.
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #633203

Back when I started playing /tg/ was a nice middle ground between goon's unbridled chaos and bay's text heavy roleplay, I can't comment if this is still accurate as I never felt the need to try other servers ever since
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #633211

Kel wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:25 pm reason #3 would be the homies. ended up kind of meshing into a clique pretty fast on basil, and once you're friends with a good section of the concurrent players it's hard to want to play anywhere else.
this was another reason, even if i wasnt friends with someone it was still fun to interact with the same person over a few rounds and have like a "coworker" type relationship with them yknow.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #633245

I started playing around April 2015. I played on Sybil and had a blast as xenobiologist since messing around with aliens was pretty cool. I got familiar with a lot of the science department crew and enjoyed the slice of life job simulation that ended in some of sort of life-threatening scenario where the work I did previously would have some impact on my survivability at the end, I thought it was a really fun dynamic. Some people also came to fear me because of my habit to very commonly get traitor and spawn spiders to the point where almost all Sybil research directors would check up on what I was doing to ensure I wasn't making spiders during any given round. I eventually stopped but it made for a funny ongoing joke. Eventually I started playing Bagil when Dynamic was introduced and enjoyed the chaos present there with its clique of zany bloodthirsty players. I was never one to play like that, but I enjoyed having to play around them. They might be good at making spacemen go sideways, but they could be predicted and outsmarted. I never really minded their specific brand of destructive chaos the way some others clearly did and do even more so now.

Later, I ended figuring out how to code and made a really bad midround, but you know, super rare so quality wasn't as much of a concern. Then I made lavaland elites, which while I never personally get to play as them much, I love seeing the stories they generate. Then I got into this whole midround antag rebalance things, and I think I certainly made things better than they were, but they're still far from perfect. Now, I've landed in a rut where there's work to be done but unlike a lot of similar peers, I've become more detached from the game as opposed to attached. A lot of people I've come to recognize from github or in-game went on to become admins or really dedicated coders, but I just developed a severe on and off relationship with the game, and the off part has really started to overtake the on part. I think that's mostly because I never sought the community out much outside of the game, and I'm mostly content to not care about what happens outside the game rather than in it. And since I don't really have those outside the game peer connections as much as others do, so what if I vanish for months at a time? Nobody will notice. And I guess for in-game relations, after a while everyone you used to know just ends up leaving one day, and eventually you log on and all those friendly faces you knew at one point aren't there anymore.

However, I guess what maybe contributes to my building of offness for the game is a growing lack of excitement during the course of a round. You can only binge on job content while nothing else happens so many times, you know? And while I personally feel the game's never been more balanced than as it is right now, there just seems to be a lack of interesting things going on. I've always seen SS13 as less about the job content itself and moreso about the relation it has to overcoming whatever daily trial we'd be tasked to handle. When there is nothing to handle, what's the point in doing your job in the first place? It feels like most rounds end nowadays because the atmos system fucked up and shut all the airlocks as opposed to a cunning plan set in motion by a traitor to kneecap the station, or some other exciting threat. The daily cycle of doing your job which eventually built up into some semi-climatic event to end the round feels more and more like a distant dream than the reality of the game as it stands.

Based on what a lot of people say, it seems like a lot of people like just idling around talking to their co-workers while nothing else happens. Fun is a subjective thing, so I won't say that they're wrong for liking those elements. As for those who sought only the thrill of the do or die moments their every waking moment, I also can't say their version of fun is wrong either. I don't like either extreme in excess myself though, and I found SS13 is at its best when you have an even blend of laid-back roleplaying opportunities and exciting and climatic events which threaten the lives of every crewmember on board. However, I guess whether intentional or not, the game certainly feels like its been making adjustments based on what that first batch wants, while trying to prosecute and eliminate those from the second batch. Humorously, I've been a part of a different roleplaying community (one that also originated from /tg/ board itself and slowly grew away from it) where this scenario happened, and ultimately the whole experience we once had got neutered into a glorified chatroom. Great for those that remained, but certainly not my cup of tea, so I left.

To say that /tg/ is dedicated to molding the game into this glorified chatroom as a whole doesn't sit well with me, however. We certainly have enough people putting in the work to keep things exciting, even if it doesn't always work out. One person I admire a lot on this front for example is Mothblocks, who has done a lot of work on the Dynamic system to try and consistently deliver quality rounds. While no system is without its kinks, Mothblocks does a lot of analytical work to smooth them out, and Dynamic 2022 looks very promising from my perspective. However, I feel like our current system really got hurt on two separate levels from recent changes, that being our reliance on Traitor to carry the round and continue effort to to make sure traitors can't threaten people until late-game. The new traitor's biggest issue is that it encourages and enforces doing almost nothing to nobody the entire round until suddenly you get to do a whole lot. A lot of traitor's appeal and ability to make things interesting came from a traitor's ability to help set the pace of the round as soon as they spawned, but now they might as well not exist until some very specific time has passed. And this causes a lot of tots to get caught doing things that effects nobody, which ultimately means there usually isn't anyone left by the end of it to bring the round to a natural conclusion. And if there is, it certainly wasn't really escalated properly, just a 0 to 100 scenario, which isn't as fun as small problems building up into some big problem at the end.

So yeah, I went on massive rant I guess, but its late and I can type a lot when I'm tired. To answer the question concisely, I played /tg/ because a lot of the time it felt like it followed the structure of a good adventure. You have your more mundane setup at the start, which slowly devolves and becomes more chaotic until it hits its apex at the end, where stakes are high and danger is abound. To me, that was the core of SS13. Nowadays, I just feel like the a lot of rounds don't have their apex moments anymore and simply end on a flat note.

TL;DR: Game had good dynamic of fun interactions with other people while doing mundane jobs that built up to some life-threatening and exciting event at the end.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #633247

imsxz wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:40 am
oranges wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:31 am mfw 2017 players acting like they old

mfw 2019 admin calling themselves a boomer

fuck off zoomers

especially you imsxz, you fucking new ass fuck face you spit on the grave of /tg/station if old players could see people like you claiming things in their name they'd fuck you so hard you would forget your own name, rule 3 was literally the golden standard back in the day

you're a fucking joke
kors a pretty old player and he likes me. kevinz, yakumochen, zaross, laz0r, forcefulcjs, stickymayhem etc are the boomers that everyone talked about when i started playing, and they play literally the exact same way i did. not sure which old players you are talking about
I've been here nearly a decade, I'm not like you. Whenever I did unstoppable murderbones, I used the space created to do interesting things. The value of being unkillable isn't killing everyone, it's having a blank cheque to create any story you want for the station. I did wacky shit like making meatspike hallways of victims and taunting security while setting it up, killing the captain and taking over the station under threat of violence, goading centcom into a war or converting the whole station to the syndicate. The murderbone wasn't just to rack up a body count, it was to make a narrative happen. The only reliable way to do that as antag has always, unfortunately, been to kill the dozen or so robust competitors to your murderthrone and then go ahead with whatever gimmick you wanted to do.
I intentionally lost countless times. I came to the bridge for parlays knowing it was a sting operation, I die intentionally to antags all the time (When you've played for long enough you can pretty reliably know who's antag and who's not just by watching them for a couple minutes, but that meta knowledge is unfair to use, so I take a dive most of the time to avoid that), I sacrifice my round to create interesting situations, I throw antags back out into the round as security with tracking implants. This is all in the spirit of doing the only thing I care about, which is driving narratives.

What did I enjoy about playing on /tg/? I enjoyed when everyone shared this mindset of creating opportunities for the most interesting story, instead of playing Trouble in Terrorist Town in Space.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #633256

Kel wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:25 pm reason #2 would have to be the community's atmosphere. the competitive atmosphere back then was basically nothing compared to now, the worst it got was someone getting salty in deadchat. admittedly this isn't the greatest reason for "why i enjoyed /tg/" because it's based entirely in hindsight... literally no server that i know of was particularly competitive back then.

---

finally, the most controversial reason: erp. not because of the erp itself, but because it spawned a unique form of entertainment when half the station would catch wind of a potential erp session and hunt it down with lethal prejudice. always loved seeing like 12 sitting in dorms ready to obliterate whoever was erping in a bolted dorm room. often not even a blob spawning can motivate people to this level of immediate violence...
One thing I think is worth mentioning about this is that even when you died, back in those 2014 and earlier days, people would just chill in dead chat if they died, even if there wasn't some God of War trying to murderbone the whole station. People would just vibe together, talk about the round, what they were up to, cool ideas they wanted to try.

They would also speculate on "I bet they're gonna ERP" or "One of them is a changeling" every time two people went off alone together, always hoping that they would get see something like all the walls around an ERPing couple turned into glass walls, or that all the dead people would be spawned in as cats to invade a dorm (or wait outside) as ERPers finished. Maybe not the healthiest, but nobody who was around for it can deny that it was really, really funny, if often in a stupid and immature way. Alternatively, sometimes players would bait the ghosts to them with the lead-in to ERP and then call them out, or read Bible verses at them, and that was funny, too.

But even without that, people weren't too good to just hang out as ghosts. Sometimes a few people would all observe, even, and admemes would ask for volunteers for some fun Fuckery, sometimes serious and sometimes... less serious... like spawning in a janicart for a driveby shooting at the HoP line
or a mysterious contagious effect (actually just coordinated admin effort) that causes people to turn into skeletons shortly after they touch each other, with no explanation given and people expected to just react IC (and one person who quarantined herself being accused of being "Skeleton racist" for not giving hugs to the skeletons)
or a "mandatory workplace safety meeting" about the dangers of "Space Lesbianism," hosted by someone whose "CentCom ID" was a piece of paper written on in crayon (and whom the security team, afterward, ordered to be detained by CentCom message)

None of y'all newer were around when shit happened like one late, late night on MiniStation, HotelBravoLima spawned in the first Clown Ops team, who took a Science Data Disk tagged as "Nuclear Authentication Disk" with a hand labeler and then went back, clown shoes squeaking the whole way.

Or even just players doing cool or fun stuff, no admin fuckery involved, like dirty BadgerStation security who instead of just being Shitcurity for laughs blackmailed the chemist into making drugs for them. MechStation13, where a few dedicated players mined out the entire asteroid pre-Lavaland and made a combat mech for every single person on the station.

Or one of the first infamously catastrophic Goof PRs, infinitely stacking custom sandwiches and deepfrying, resulting in sprites so tall they went offscreen and names so long that they were unreadable.

Sure, sometimes you'd see the same stupid fucking parapen-C4 trick. But other times you would see a disposals trap leading to a one-tile super-hot shower with no light, resulting in a single tile covered in 20 charred corpses being watched by nearly as many ghosts, all waiting to see who'll stumble into it next.

Or the time someone figured out how to make tube tracks on top of each other, resulting in the clown making some sort of batshit insane Gordian Knot of transit tubes in escape, demanding that people worship Lord Transit.

People... not everyone, of course, but some people, at least, were able to just let go of "winning" or "losing" to do funny shit. And I don't think you see that as much these days. People were expected to make their own fun, but (usually) in a way that didn't fuck over other departments.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #633271

The only thing Ive longed for in tg in more recent times is that feeling (even if it wasnt necessarily true) that everyone was playing with some level of respect for the other people playing. This might be evident by the fact I wanted a LRP server with more murderboning restrictions (rule 3 / new rule 12 could prob suffice) since I think Manuel has lost to higher-end RP and LRP itself has lost to people who have very little respect for other playstyles.

Even people who played "to win" tried to do so in wacky non-conventional ways that would make you laugh (I think of Emily Ranger absolutely decimating the station with banana peels), now it feels like the game has to be padded to protect players because letting holes in just has people trying to exploit it without any actual regard to other players round after round. Take ATH and the wizard mindswap meme where he went out of his way to theorycraft an exploit of mindswapping mid-suicide so that people would be out of the round PERMANENTLY.

I think this comes from the fact we have a much more flowing pop compared to back then so getting on people's bad side would be a relatively quick ticket out (for better or worse) because you were largely playing with the same small group of individuals. Probably also doesnt help that the big videos that brought a lot of new people to SS13 versus back then when it was le epic 4chan whispers are framed as "lol be a nuisance clown" or "decimate the station and bask in the chaos" without really going into the community aspect of having fun w the other people in the game. Same is true for how people marketed the game to others, I got into the game with "You can do a ton of different stuff on a sci-fi research station and actually RP unlike DarkRP, super complex and mechanically aut*stic". Seems like nowadays the talk is framed around being "robust" (get it its our word!!!) and trying to outperform fan favorites like Lexia Black, Korol, etc.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Swept

Post by Swept » #633284

I liked when felinds and moths weren't in the game.
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #633288

Swept wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:51 pm I liked when felinds and moths weren't in the game.
keen-eyed players would know that they have always been in the game, just as neon haired space lesbians in medbay
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #633319

terranaut wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:59 pm the playerbase was entirely sourced from people who came from a tabletop and/or roleplaying background and there was no need to talk about roleplaying rules. its what everybody did and wanted to do, but being good at the game and not handicapping yourself wasn't seen as something bad or evil. roleplay and mastery of the system went hand in hand.
Pandarsenic wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:38 pm [Text]
These two posts encapsulate alot of my feelings on the subject. They harken back to a culture that I really enjoyed. There was a spirit of sportsmanship, player freedom, good attitudes, but also something else mixed with those which I can't quite pinpoint. It was a great balance. I remember having so much fun during that time, and all the crazy things that could happen. People would complain they die, but it wasn't such an excessive fear of it as it is now. Conversely though, it wouldn't just always be a mindless drone v. drone combat powergame arms race deathmatch. Would strike a great balance between conflict and other things.
Although some of it is the rosey-tinted glasses, I think there was something tangible about how things were back then which enabled it. This is why I've been advocating a bunch lately about my "Golden Age" Fusion Ruleset, to hopefully recapture some of that great time, even if impossible to fully restore (BTW, golden age isn't subjective like some people claim, since in this case it's referring to something being true to its original purpose; eg. 2010-11 were /tg/station's formative years, while the 2012-2015 golden age were the natural continuation of that, but just in a more stabilized and grounded form... 2016-present has diverged from that).
oranges wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:07 pm

because you're being straight up duplicitious and attacking admins who are literally just restoring the existing order.

That you're stupid enough to think we ever did anything other than laugh at and tolerate powergamers is not my problem

Ps if you think tgstation is a snoozefest then I hear trouble in terrorist town has more action.
Although it may be tinged with some of oranges' typical abrasive flair, this is more or less true. Nothing personally against you Imsxz, but the general policy opinion I mean.

Also I miss Kor. Nobody had as good and balanced of attitude for the game as Kor (well except for Lavaland). Hope they come back naturally on their own someday. Though I'm happy about all the old people who are still around and all the newfriends we meet nowadays :)

PS. Besides the game itself, I also miss the old community. People like EndgamerAzari & Kraso were always fun to read posts from. I only regret not being more active on the forums back then.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #633324

oranges wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:07 pm That you're stupid enough to think we ever did anything other than laugh at and tolerate powergamers is not my problem

I don't agree that people scorned powergamers. While it was always a label people used against strategies and players they didn't like, the game used to have more overt powergamers than it does now. It was seen as something to aspire to. Being able to murderbone the entire station was seen as the apex of skill. Robustness was what its detractors characterised as powergaming, or playing to win.

You can do better than saying that Trouble in Terrorist Town thing too, Stickymayhem has already said it twice in recent memory.
Pandarsenic wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:38 pm Or one of the first infamously catastrophic Goof PRs, infinitely stacking custom sandwiches and deepfrying, resulting in sprites so tall they went offscreen and names so long that they were unreadable.
I think the only thing that's changed about this is the overlay limit. At 100 toppings a burger is reduced to the bottom bun.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #633328

cacogen wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:17 am
Pandarsenic wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:38 pm Or one of the first infamously catastrophic Goof PRs, infinitely stacking custom sandwiches and deepfrying, resulting in sprites so tall they went offscreen and names so long that they were unreadable.
I think the only thing that's changed about this is the overlay limit. At 100 toppings a burger is reduced to the bottom bun.
Negative sir, the burgers don't cause display errors so they aren't big enough.
Kel wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:19 am
Swept wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:51 pm I liked when felinds and moths weren't in the game.
keen-eyed players would know that they have always been in the game, just as neon haired space lesbians in medbay
God, I haven't heard someone else drop the phrase "neon-haired medbay space lesbian" or "neon-haired medbay whore" in years. The nostalgia do be real.

Also
Some thoughts on the old culture and powergaming incoming in a glorious double post because I respect no law of man nor god, which is to say that I actually want to keep it fully separate from this post.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #633329

Bawhoppennn wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:47 am
terranaut wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:59 pm the playerbase was entirely sourced from people who came from a tabletop and/or roleplaying background and there was no need to talk about roleplaying rules. its what everybody did and wanted to do, but being good at the game and not handicapping yourself wasn't seen as something bad or evil. roleplay and mastery of the system went hand in hand.
Pandarsenic wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:38 pm [Text]
These two posts encapsulate alot of my feelings on the subject. They harken back to a culture that I really enjoyed. There was a spirit of sportsmanship, player freedom, good attitudes, but also something else mixed with those which I can't quite pinpoint. It was a great balance. I remember having so much fun during that time, and all the crazy things that could happen. People would complain they die, but it wasn't such an excessive fear of it as it is now. Conversely though, it wouldn't just always be a mindless drone v. drone combat powergame arms race deathmatch. Would strike a great balance between conflict and other things.
cacogen wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:17 am
oranges wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:07 pm That you're stupid enough to think we ever did anything other than laugh at and tolerate powergamers is not my problem

I don't agree that people scorned powergamers. While it was always a label people used against strategies and players they didn't like, the game used to have more overt powergamers than it does now. It was seen as something to aspire to. Being able to murderbone the entire station was seen as the apex of skill. Robustness was what its detractors characterised as powergaming, or playing to win.
The thing was, generally, people who COULD trash the entire station singlehandedly still roleplayed normal-ass characters- OFFICER KUDZU, THAT WAS HIS FUCKING NAME - the super robust sec officer main who was also a great roleplayer. God, uh, James Kudzu I think? Kel, you would've been around for his time, help me out.

Anyway.

People didn't scorn powergamers, they scorned powergaming, as I perceive it, which I think is an important distinction. Because rounds were only 40-60 minutes and people didn't mind chilling in deadchat like a little ghost IRC channel, people didn't usually go to such extreme ends to get geared and survive. You tried to survive because it was what a character would try to do, and sometimes you lost and that was fine because it'd only be maybe 30 minutes until you get back in.

Furthermore, because there were far fewer code-level padded walls (looking at you, REINFORCED GLASS and department-specific door wire layouts) to make things hard to break into, overpreparation was a much less significant advantage. If shit got real, all you needed was a toolbelt (or a box full of tools) and you could make do, source what you needed on the spot, break into the armory for a single taser that would let you clap an antag with one lucky ambush shot, etc. When all combat is bullshit, it's much harder to get mad about losing (because when the first clicky wins, it's kind of "what else could you have done?"

I don't know if people will agree with me, and maybe this opinion is exacerbated by me playing Sekiro a lot this last week since Elden Ring came out and I don't have it, but

Bear with me

I think the sheer amount of stuff introduced to make preparation and independence harder, to make combat more fair, etc. has exacerbated powergaming. Wounds, stamina combat, crawling, weakened slips, overdosing on healing chems, etc., it all means that the more prepared you are coming into a fight, the better off you are relative to someone who's done no prep, scaling pretty much indefinitely into a cornucopia of new ways to powergame, rather than everyone being equally susceptible to abrupt unfair nonsense like someone popping a lube grenade and then lasering you while you're on the floor.

It's so much harder now to confirm a kill that every time one happens, you can see "oh, even if someone gets the drop on me, I can empty out this fire extinguisher in the airlock as I run" or whatever. The more fair combat is, and the harder it is to recover from, the more things that can tip the scales matter.

Checking before I continue: am I making any sense to anyone else who's been around since those days?
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #633332

Pandarsenic wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:37 am I think the sheer amount of stuff introduced to make preparation and independence harder, to make combat more fair, etc. has exacerbated powergaming. Wounds, stamina combat, crawling, weakened slips, overdosing on healing chems, etc., it all means that the more prepared you are coming into a fight, the better off you are relative to someone who's done no prep, scaling pretty much indefinitely into a cornucopia of new ways to powergame, rather than everyone being equally susceptible to abrupt unfair nonsense like someone popping a lube grenade and then lasering you while you're on the floor.

It's so much harder now to confirm a kill that every time one happens, you can see "oh, even if someone gets the drop on me, I can empty out this fire extinguisher in the airlock as I run" or whatever. The more fair combat is, and the harder it is to recover from, the more things that can tip the scales matter.

Checking before I continue: am I making any sense to anyone else who's been around since those days?
This is true yeah. Unarmed combat has been nerfed a little bit over the years, and it's made powergaming a bit more prevalent. It's still fairly strong but it definitely can't take anymore nerfs.
Spoiler:
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #633333

Game got more realistic. Power gaming became more necessary because you can no longer easily defeat the man with the e-sword while naked (as a casual) and round removal is made more hard core intentionally.

Idk the game design is kinda mean rn for an rp game
► Show Spoiler
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #633336

Completely side-stepping discussions, you'd have to check my connections but im quite sure i was shadowing the server as a casual forum-troll at that time having just been thrown off another forum-site and playing on Yog for atleast a year before i connected to /tg/ for the first time, which initially means id already been playing on 2014 code casually as they were always behind. I remember the old mining suit with the alien on the splash-screen, slightly cringy 2008 tier whisper singing music but i digress.

Id have to couple my dedicated answer with what i remember of my first impressions, /tg/ circa 2015/2016 was a newer take on something i'd got to janky grips with and hit the note the setting promised, which was enough for me. The game was bigger than barebones, it felt optimistic with what it could do, then i got valided by Rshoe immediately in a confrontation on the arrivals shuttle in my first round which got him banned. It wasn't a bad experience, it got a laugh, from then on people occupied the core feature of the game even when they maximum powergamed with a e-blade and e-bow you almost looked up to them, without "stuff" people had to talk it out a lot more.

I wouldn't get interested in it nowadays because everything else added feels like im playing super-modded (if that even makes sense i know PR's have to happen) SS13 in a starkly contrasting feel to the consistency back then, i feel lucky to have joined at the time i did.

Spoiler:
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #633343

I played on /tg/ because it was the only place other than goon that I could find on the beyond browser that wasn't Russian. And goon was too much of a big injoke mess that I had no idea what was going on...

Also someone on /tg/ ended up showing me the ropes and that kinda stuck with me. For better or worse here I ended up... probably worse.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box