Whats changed in 3 years?

General SS13 Chat
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Whats changed in 3 years?

Post by peoplearestrange » #633345

So tell me about the game, whats the new meta?
What new items have been added?
What new mechanics were added/changed?
Any new game modes of note?
Do people even RP anymore or has it furthered towards pure game completely? Or did it swing the other way?
Do events still happen?
Whats the latest good, bad and ugly?

Just popping my head in out of curiosity.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
BlueMemesauce
Byond Username: BlueMemesauce

Re: Whats changed in 3 years?

Post by BlueMemesauce » #633354

So tell me about the game, whats the new meta?
No new meta, its still stun batons. Even though they were changed to take 2 hits, they still beat everything else in the game. At least flashes have been nerfed heavily. Before they were OP but now they only work if you are facing the same direction as them so you can't just flash their back and instantly stun them.

Its hard to remember what was changed except what was recently. A shit ton of new cultural food items just added from the lore of moths and lizards but its hard to get their native ingredients. The security auto rifle was changed to thermal pistols which are kinda cool but also gimmicky.

Atmospherics has been getting many revamps and is actually fun to play. Primarily because there is one coder who seems to care alot about it. He added new machines like an electrolyzer to produce hydrogen and a new reactor which produces cool gases but can meltdown if you arent careful.

Game mode system was entirely changed; game modes don't even exist anymore. Its a new system called Dynamic where antagonists are dynamically chosen. There can be multiple different types of antagonists per round instead of only one type. It's kind of OP when you become a cultist or rev as a traitor or changeling. But now you never know what to expect because seeing one antagonist doesn't confirm the gamemode. There also was a new antagonist called heretics who unlock abilities by sacrificing people; they are very hard to win as but fun.

Do people even RP anymore or has it furthered towards pure game completely? Or did it swing the other way?
The game currently is in a conflict between the admins and old players who are trying to switch back to roleplay while the new players want gameplay. That's extremely simplifying it, of course it isnt as simple as old vs new players. Recently there just was a headmin change where the new headmins have promised to redirect the game towards roleplay. There also was a new rule just enacted declaring The purpose of the game is to have fun roleplaying. Play-to-win gameplay that ruins the purpose of the game at the expense of others is against the rules."

Do events still happen?
Admin events rarely ever ever happen. And when they do happen its usually a controversy when they turn to be shitty. So I guess most admins just avoid them entirely.

Currently the main conflict is the one between roleplay and gameplay. There also is another conflict between sprites being changed, spriters are trying to switch all the sptires in the game to a new style of sprites.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #633367

I stopped playing 3 years ago, and went onto more original SS13 projects outside of joining for one day of the year (my birthday or another day of my choice). Couldn't tell you whats changed but the only thing i like ill mention are fish tanks, in which case someone somewhere will take it upon themselves to rework them and summarily ruin it with over-thought.

Good: Fishtanks
Bad: Lazy spam invites to winter ball in my discord notifications, killing RP was your fault dont force it.
Ugly: Everything turns up on digg, more like /r/station

I heard people complaining about theives and graded antagonist systems, to that i say antagonists that complete none of the objectives to just murderbone are perfectly valid ways to play, objectives are a accessory that has been ramped up over time and now a inhibitor doesn't sound fun. I would just turn traitor antagonist rolls off to avoid it or go play ashwalkers.

Rest im not qualified to answer.

Spoiler:
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #633376

peoplearestrange wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:00 pm So tell me about the game, whats the new meta?
Do events still happen?

Stamina Stun combat but it's kind of weird and batons are important

Sixteen goddamn full reworks of atmospherics and counting

New sprites, mostly cool tbh

Several reworks of gamemodes/antags, including traitor and like 6 tries at fixing Blood Cult

RP all-time low but ruleset update that just dropped will fight that; whether it works, we'll have to check in after a month or two

Events are rare and people whine a lot when they happen so they get even rarer
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Googles_Hands
Byond Username: Googles_Hands

Post by Googles_Hands » #633420

peoplearestrange wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:00 pm What new mechanics were added/changed?
Can't believe no one mentioned these things:
  • Intents were replaced with a lifeweb combat mode.
  • Cloning got removed.
  • Traitor got revamped into a progression style, imagine contractor kit but instead of kidnapping you complete random objectives.
  • Hardsuits got replaced with MODSuits (Imagine bay/aurora hardsuits).
  • New map with a working tram.
  • Chaplain can select a cult which give him some minor powers for doing things relevant to the cult he selects.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #633422

PAS it's the exact same in all the ways you would think it is.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #633436

Stickymayhem wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:41 am PAS it's the exact same in all the ways you would think it is.
I mean honestly, from reading stuff, just seems like the same old stories re-packaged.

RP/Gameplay fight has been on going since Basil first existed.
Atmos rework is good, but happens on a few years cycle. Tends to break stuff, then make it better, then become samey, then get reworked.

I think dynamic is the boldest change, but that was just starting to come about when I left.

I guess the only questions that would show a change is;
is do people still shout the N word to get attention & are people still transphobic and do people still generally bully each other over meaningless crap?

Googles_Hands wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:29 am
Can't believe no one mentioned these things:
  • Intents were replaced with a lifeweb combat mode.
  • Cloning got removed.
  • Traitor got revamped into a progression style, imagine contractor kit but instead of kidnapping you complete random objectives.
  • Hardsuits got replaced with MODSuits (Imagine bay/aurora hardsuits).
  • New map with a working tram.
  • Chaplain can select a cult which give him some minor powers for doing things relevant to the cult he selects.
Oooh thats some new stuff! Whats the LW combat mode? how does it work?
Cloning was being talked about being removed before, how well does it work? I can see it being a good think, as much as it was a fun mechanic it did ultimately never really work like you'd expect.
MOD suits sound cool, much more clunky sci-fi, seems to fit the setting imho.

Oh yeah maps! Which maps regularly get played? Or is it a rotation mostly?
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #633438

peoplearestrange wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:51 pm I guess the only questions that would show a change is;
is do people still shout the N word to get attention, people still transphobic
Almost exclusively as a means of intentionally getting themselves banned for digg gold. Ligger is still allowed but not as commonly used as it was in 2019.
peoplearestrange wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:51 pm and do people still generally bully each other over meaningless crap
Yes.
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #633439

Rohen_Tahir wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:55 pm Almost exclusively as a means of intentionally getting themselves banned for digg gold.
Well thats, honestly, a huge improvement.
Rohen_Tahir wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:55 pm Yes.
That's a shame. I'd like to have think people might have aged and grown up in 3 years, but, maybe some things never change.
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #633441

peoplearestrange wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:51 pm Oooh thats some new stuff! Whats the LW combat mode? how does it work?
Basically you only have harm (combat mode on) and help (combat mode off), actions that used to be disarm intent are now right click, actions that used to be grab intent are now ctrlclick, examine is shiftclick.
peoplearestrange wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:51 pm Oh yeah maps! Which maps regularly get played? Or is it a rotation mostly?
People still usually pick metastation unless the map vote system forces them not to.
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #633442

Thats kinda cool, not having 4 separate intents and doing the rest with shortcuts sounds way better.

TBF Meta did make a good map, its nice to hear it still holds up even now.
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #633467

peoplearestrange wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:59 pm
Rohen_Tahir wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:55 pm Almost exclusively as a means of intentionally getting themselves banned for digg gold.
Well thats, honestly, a huge improvement.
Rohen_Tahir wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:55 pm Yes.
That's a shame. I'd like to have think people might have aged and grown up in 3 years, but, maybe some things never change.
Yes I single handedly defeated racism and transphobia while you were away you're welcome
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #633634

There's still a great deal of bigotry on the servers, particularly on Terry, it's just more understated than it has been. Surprising no one perhaps, policing people's language is not the same thing as changing their beliefs.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #633647

Quite true
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #633672

Seems some attempts have been made and for that at least its a step forward.

Looks like things generally are similar, but less constantly volatile. Plus servers seem to have pretty high pop! Which is neat I guess.

Also apparently I'm still a Global Mod, but Im too out the loop to do anything with it, but its kinda nice to feel like its a token gesture to old times... even it it was (more likely) that someone forgot.
What a bizarre 9 year long journey this has been.
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #633676

cacogen wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:56 am There's still a great deal of bigotry on the servers, particularly on Terry, it's just more understated than it has been. Surprising no one perhaps, policing people's language is not the same thing as changing their beliefs.
The smartest thing i've read all day, well done to you.

Spoiler:
Googles_Hands
Byond Username: Googles_Hands

Post by Googles_Hands » #633682

peoplearestrange wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:51 pm Cloning was being talked about being removed before, how well does it work?
It definitely raised the medbay skill ceiling and made playing doctor more fun, and the alarmists fearing that no cloning means tons of dead bodies every round were wrong unless it's something major like nukies (but even then cloning never got to everyone). It also made death more impactfull which is a good thing.

On the top of medical, wounds got added, it's difficult to explain but imagine aside from the normal brute/burn damage you can get different tiers of semi-permanent damages that won't go away by a bit of mesh and sutures (when did those replace bandaids and ointment again? no clue myself), so you need an actual surgery to get back to full health as they can be very deadly if left untreated. All in all medical definitely improved, the only thing I personally don't like is plumbing, it sort of replaced the normal "sit behind a machine pressing buttons you have burned into your brain"-chemistry, but I never really did chemistry so take it with a entire shaker worth of salt.
peoplearestrange wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:51 pm Oh yeah maps! Which maps regularly get played?
Like others mentioned, Metastation is still prom-King in terms of popularity, but two major new maps got added, Tramstation with the Tram I mentioned earlier and Icebox which completely replaced Boxstation (my beloved). These two new maps also heavily implemented a new Z-level design, just think of how Bay's map works and you'll get the gist. Icebox is also not in space at all but rather on a planet (or moon? I don't remember the lore) with snow and ice everywhere, mining is on the lower z-levels of the map below the station instead of lavaland as well with their own semi-unique simplemobs or at least resprites. The air is randomized like lavaland so it's mostly still toxic but the lack of space is obviously very noticeable (spessman game without spess, what will they think of next?)

New things I forgot to mention:
  • Manuel, a MRP server with it's own ruleset got added (I am pretty sure it's not three years old, god time goes by fast) which shifted the desire of more RP more into focus. Plus they shut down Ehall some while back after a Summer Ball killed it off for some reason, Terry is the only (normal) EU server.
  • They removed the ability to make a singularty engine from the game, it can still appear with a SM delam but no more :singulo: on it's own. Same with tesla engine.
  • Major ID change, complicated to explain it all but effectively removed AA from the game (get fucked :unknownman:) beside the captains ID and the spare, on the topic, the emag can't hack doors open anymore, that is it's own item now.
  • Nanites got removed and sort of replaced with Circuits which is something that I never touched and is way beyond me.
  • You can blow kisses, they added ERP! :heart:
Uhhhh, can't think of anything else off the top of my head, more might come to me with time, reply if you are interested.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #633694

peoplearestrange wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:00 pm So tell me about the game, whats the new meta?
The current meta is weird. Antags have been softened up, loud dangerous weapons are time-gated to the 30 minute mark, and some antags don't even murder you at all, and just send you to the hugbox dimension when they "keel you." So it's pretty much just roleplay to win.
We've gotten new food items, Mug Rootbeer exists now. Gives sec officers increased fire-rate in exchange for stamina damage. Which is what disablers shoot you with.
Theres cytology that allows you to mix chemicals into a pot ala witches brew to create monsters that exist in the games code but may not be otherwise obtainable. Kinda cool, very tedious though and quite often not worth it unless your bored.
No more new game modes, but new antags. The ones that have stuck are Thieves and Heretics. Heretics are solo cultists, but their weapons do as much damage as make-shift crew ones like floor-tiles and spears. So they get turned horizontal pretty fast. If they sacrifice you, they put you in another dimension for a minute. After its done you get put back on station, drunk! Thieves just steal stuff, will get banned for murdering. Interesting concept, not much fun for the round in play.
Powergaming and playing to win have recently been slammed upon, playerbase was sick of it and so was the admin team. Also we have a big RP server too! So yeah RP's back. Enjoy...?
Do events still happen?
Not as much as I'd like them too.
Good: You have a high chance of enjoying a round without dying. Fun times if your playing with friends/meta-friends. Bad: Antags aren't moving rounds as much as they used too, the strong ones even go friendly at times. Stale!!! Ugly: Its literally 1984 with the amount of in-game freedom. Current flavor of the month memes like sus and lean will get you put in the admins sights. Tragic!
Good to see an old face. I hope your doing well!
► Show Spoiler
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #633705

Cool! Thank you for the updoot! Some neat little mechanics. Personally Im always gonna favor RP role thingies like theif and stuff because thats the way I enjoyed playing SS13.

I might pop on at some point to see how it plays like. But we'll see, there are other games clawing for my attention in the RP dimension (Valhiem and Zomboid).

Thanks all for the nice words and info <3
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box