Why is antag rolling against the rules? How is it bad?

General SS13 Chat
itsswagga
Byond Username: Swaggaboy112

Why is antag rolling against the rules? How is it bad?

Post by itsswagga » #647723

There are people who only play Captain, HOP, Chemist, Xenobiology, Security. But when you do this with antags it's suddenly a heinous crime? It doesn't make sense.
Why is antag rolling such a big deal? If someone only wants to play when antag, who cares if he suicides as assistant roundstart? Would he have had a great positive impact on the round had he not suicided? No.
Antag rolling is a victimless crime, and is way less severe than blatant griefing, metacomms, metagrudging ,yet admins seem to treat antag rolling as something blasphemous.
I'm not sure why we have to just "accept" that antag rolling is bad, nobody can ever logically prove it's a bad thing. This is definitely a rule that needs an update.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Re: Why is antag rolling against the rules? How is it bad?

Post by sinfulbliss » #647724

because you're wasting a job slot
because you're suggesting you cant have fun normally only if you get antag
because you're lowering the odds someone who's playing and rolling for antag fairly will get it
because suiciding roundstart is lame and puts a little bit of a damper on things when people see it
Spoiler:
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #647726

In Among Us terms, it's like disconnecting when you don't get to become the IMPOSTER, and you instead always play as the crewmate. If everyone immediately disconnected from the server when they didn't get to become the IMPOSTER, then we'd have no crewmates. And, if we had no crewmates, who would the IMPOSTER kill? Playing the crew is equally as important as playing the antagonist, otherwise who does the antagonist antagonize?
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
itsswagga
Byond Username: Swaggaboy112

Post by itsswagga » #647727

>wasting a job slot
There is no cap on assistants.
>you're suggesting you can't have fun normally
So what if I can't have fun normally? How is that relevant to anything?
>lowering odds
TG doesn't have antag rep, it's completely random, there is no fairness to the system.
>suiciding roundstart is lame
It's a fucking LRP server bro who cares. Go to Bay if you want immersion.

@san7890
This is understandable if done on Manuel. But if I antag roll on Terry with 90 players, nobody is going to notice, it's a drop in the bucket. Antag rolling as a bald assistant is no different to just observing roundstart and waiting for ghost role antags.
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #647728

san7890 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:36 pm In Among Us terms, it's like disconnecting when you don't get to become the IMPOSTER, and you instead always play as the crewmate. If everyone immediately disconnected from the server when they didn't get to become the IMPOSTER, then we'd have no crewmates. And, if we had no crewmates, who would the IMPOSTER kill? Playing the crew is equally as important as playing the antagonist, otherwise who does the antagonist antagonize?
sorry can someone put this in fortnite terms I still dont understand
Weston Echard on Sybil
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #647729

blackdav123 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:39 pm -snip-

sorry can someone put this in fortnite terms I still dont understand
Okay, let's say that you love landing at TOMATO TOWN, and do not like landing at DIRTY DOCKS. However, sometimes, the BATTLE BUS doesn't go over TOMATO TOWN. Met with a TOMATO TOWN-less future, you disconnect from the game. Now, what if everyone disconnected from the game because they wouldn't get TOMATO TOWN? Then, there would not be much of a game to play for those who land at DIRTY DOCKS, since everyone else would have disconnected. You get plenty of BATTLE ROYALES, but you don't really get an increase in skill or a "full" game, it's a husk of itself.

Antag rolling is a "tragedy of the commons" scenario, and it's best to just make it to get the people who can not handle DIRTY DOCKS rounds out of there. I hope that helps.
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
delaron
Byond Username: Delaron

Post by delaron » #647730

-------
I'm not smart enough to meme.
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #647731

itsswagga wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:39 pm -snip-

@san7890
This is understandable if done on Manuel. But if I antag roll on Terry with 90 players, nobody is going to notice, it's a drop in the bucket. Antag rolling as a bald assistant is no different to just observing roundstart and waiting for ghost role antags.
This isn't a great argument if one were to connect to all four servers at the same time and suicide on the other three if they get antag on the one of them. It still affects all four servers in some manner.
Sightld2
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Sightld2

Post by Sightld2 » #647733

san7890 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:43 pm Antag rolling is a "tragedy of the commons" scenario, and it's best to just make it to get the people who can not handle DIRTY DOCKS rounds out of there. I hope that helps.
I'm sorry San, I actually don't play fortinite or Amongus, could you please explain this in Minecraft terms?

sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #647734

itsswagga wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:39 pm >wasting a job slot
There is no cap on assistants.
>you're suggesting you can't have fun normally
>lowering odds
TG doesn't have antag rep, it's completely random, there is no fairness to the system.
>suiciding roundstart is lame

@san7890
ok lets say you allow it. antag rolling is allowed. now what happens when 30 people start joining as assistant to do this almost ritualistically to antag roll? the "drop in the bucket" argument fails because doing something shitty that only becomes shitty when everyone does it doesnt make it any less fuckin shitty

i can throw my trash out my car window onto the street and it wont really make a difference. its just me! a drop in the bucket. ok but if everyone did this our city would be covered in trash so it's still shitty and shouldn't be allowed to prevent lots of people from doing it

if you cant have fun normally it's relevant to the fact that you're probably burned out on the game as it is and if the ONLY possible way you can have fun is by rolling antag and killing people to end their fun then youre not making a positive impact on the server
Spoiler:
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #647735

Sightld2 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:49 pm -snip-

I'm sorry San, I actually don't play fortinite or Amongus, could you please explain this in Minecraft terms?
Alright, have you played the popular Minecraft game mode BED WARS? Let's say that you really like playing as Red on whatever BED WARS map. However, this time you get Blue, which you don't like playing as on this BED WARS map. You don't think you'll get the epic victory, so you disconnect as Blue. If everyone who got blue were to disconnect, whose bed would the Red Team on BED WARS destroy? It would have little/no wool protection, no fun around chasing down people with TNT, it's just laughably easy.

If you don't play bed wars then just imagine you spawn in a desert when you really wanted something nice like a taiga forest, so you immediately delete the world until you get a Taiga Forest. That... what the fuck is this analogy? Just pretend like your eating up the amount of worlds that'll spawn you in the desert and then all the speedrunners who love spawning in the desert will suffer even more in your quest to find a taiga. sometimes you just gotta start in the desert and find a better spot
Last edited by san7890 on Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Riggle
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Riggle

Post by Riggle » #647736

itsswagga wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:39 pm >you're suggesting you can't have fun normally
If you can't have fun as a non-antagonist you should reconsider playing the game. It's a roleplaying game, not a competitive one.
itsswagga wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:39 pm >lowering odds
A completely random system is the fairest one. Random chances always average out after a large enough data set.
itsswagga wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:39 pm >suiciding roundstart is lame
LRP means low roleplay. Roleplay. You still have to do it, it's not an NRP server. We care.
Very cool link
Look at my cool text
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #647737

This is tangentially related so im Using this as an excuse to drop my take that roundstart suicide in a vacuum should NOT be policed ama
[this space reserved]
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #647738

wesoda25 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:08 am This is tangentially related so im Using this as an excuse to drop my take that roundstart suicide in a vacuum should NOT be policed ama
It already largely isn't, I thought. Any recent examples (appeals) come up regarding this?
capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Phuzzylodgik

Post by capn_monkeypaw » #647739

itsswagga wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:26 pm There are people who only play Captain, HOP, Chemist, Xenobiology, Security. But when you do this with antags it's suddenly a heinous crime? It doesn't make sense.
Why is antag rolling such a big deal? If someone only wants to play when antag, who cares if he suicides as assistant roundstart? Would he have had a great positive impact on the round had he not suicided? No.
Antag rolling is a victimless crime, and is way less severe than blatant griefing, metacomms, metagrudging ,yet admins seem to treat antag rolling as something blasphemous.
I'm not sure why we have to just "accept" that antag rolling is bad, nobody can ever logically prove it's a bad thing. This is definitely a rule that needs an update.
Do you really need us to explain how sitting on Basil, Sybil and Terry simultaneously round after round after round decreases the opportunities for your fellow players to roll antagonist?

(Because that's what you were doing.)
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #647743

If you're clearly only playing the game to play antagonist, you aren't enjoying the game for what it is.

Antag bans for antag rollers are a good way to "suggest" they learn or experience a new aspect of the game than only playing antagonist. If they don't even connect a single day while antag banned, then well, maybe there's better servers for them?
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #647750

mrmelbert wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:52 am If you're clearly only playing the game to play antagonist, you aren't enjoying the game for what it is.

Antag bans for antag rollers are a good way to "suggest" they learn or experience a new aspect of the game than only playing antagonist. If they don't even connect a single day while antag banned, then well, maybe there's better servers for them?
Admins should be able to issue antag bans that only count down for living time played lol, imagine the antag roller salt.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #647765

BeeSting12 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:43 am
mrmelbert wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:52 am If you're clearly only playing the game to play antagonist, you aren't enjoying the game for what it is.

Admins should be able to issue antag bans that only count down for living time played lol, imagine the antag roller salt.
Best idea of the year tbh
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #647776

Pandarsenic wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:52 am
BeeSting12 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:43 am

Best idea of the year tbh
Imagine this existing for every role. That would just be devilish.
Hugs
XII3912
Byond Username: EMX55

Post by XII3912 » #647778

itsswagga wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:26 pm There are people who only play Captain, HOP, Chemist, Xenobiology, Security. But when you do this with antags it's suddenly a heinous crime? It doesn't make sense.
yeah you're right it doesn't harm anybody HOWEVER imagine if more then 50% of the server antag rolled just imagine, the server would be of less quality if it became encouraged & more frequent it could actually harm the server. plus its also because whoever wrote the rules (probably mso) wants to discourage people from doing this and encourage people to play the game.

mad that you didn't get roundstart tot?

just wait for midround sleeper and find something to do in the meantime if that doesn't work for you then don't play thats my advice
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #647779

Of course it harms people, it reduces everyone's chances of being antag.

If a round has 10 people + 10 people who only roll antag and suicide then those 10 people actually playing have their roundstart antag chances halved.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #647798

CPTANT wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:18 pm If a round has 10 people + 10 people who only roll antag and suicide then those 10 people actually playing have their roundstart antag chances halved.
Man shocked into complete silence at the statistical disproving of his entire argument.
Spoiler:
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #647803

Banning will continue until morale improves.
Now enjoy this new Orange Merge which removes all powers from genetics, so there's literally no reason to play it and the department is finally balanced.
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #647837

itsswagga wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:39 pm
@san7890
Even with 90 people, you're decreasing the chances of other players rolling antag by at least 1%. Probably even more because not everyone rolls for antag. If you ever played a MOBA you'd know even a 1% proc is pretty significant over long enough timelines. So in other words, grow up man. You negatively affected the game for other people. It's fine. We all make mistakes, but you should own up to it. You don't have to admit it to anyone else but you should at least internally acknowledge what you did was wrong from a fair play standpoint.
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #647878

itsswagga wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:26 pm -snip-
Please play another game that has constant action you silly silly person.
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #648027

I have a IC solution, every antag roll should cost you your corporeal soul unless you win against Nanotransen so you can never play in the round again afterwards.

Spoiler:
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #648044

FantasticFwoosh wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:00 am I have a IC solution, every antag roll should cost you your corporeal soul unless you win against Nanotransen so you can never play in the round again afterwards.
What?
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #648203

If you knew, the HOP's employment file cabinet contents goes into detail about this specifically. Come on, how many hours do you have and you can't even slam the buzzer on specific trivia.

Spoiler:
Rageguy505
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rageguy505

Post by Rageguy505 » #648224

If you knew, it's actually the lawyer's employment file cabinet contents goes into detail about this specifically. Come on, how many hours do you have and you can't even slam the buzzer on specific trivia.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #648225

This Segway is making me miss devil mode.

It was a real progression antag. Should come back for MRP. With wackier contracts.
► Show Spoiler