Basil: AKA, Ghost-station

General SS13 Chat
Poorman
Byond Username: ThePoorman

Basil: AKA, Ghost-station

Post by Poorman » #78538

I'm almost exclusively a sybil player, but I really can't help but notice that more often then not, Basil has a severe lack of players in comparison to Sybil.

I'd like to think that people would want to rectify this, as Metastation is massive in comparison to /tg/station, and the comparatively much smaller playerbase certainly doesn't help this.

So why is it so barren all the time. Maybe we can have a real discussion about why there's such a low server pop, and try to amend it a bit.

I doubt it's gonna amount to much, but hey, I see that pop comparison and I get a bit sad. Metastation's not bad, and it certainly deserves more players.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Re: Basil: AKA, Ghost-station

Post by lumipharon » #78541

Firstly, meta and box are actually very similar in actual size, just a different layout. (Meta is a little bit bigger though)

In terms of pop that's pretty simple.
People join the busy server, most people prefer a more busy server.

Some people don't, they prefer a more laid back server, and basil's great for that.

I remember the badger days, server 1 went down for whatever reason for days, so lots of people came onto badger. Because server 1 was down for so long, even when it came back up, badger was still full of people, while the other was quiet as shit. This only changed when badger went down for a bit.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #78542

We have pop caps, the only thing I'm really prepared to do is send a message and a link to Sybil when a new round is about to start on Basil and vice versa.

If you think Basil is a ghost-station now, you weren't around when NTstation was a thing. Back then, Basil was literally empty all the time.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #78583

N-not all the time
Definitely ended up empty though.
The weird thing is that back when crossbow hosted badger-1 it was populated like all the time
I don't know what made badger-1 so great but whatever it was got like 35-50 players on it constantly
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #78655

15 players is not great, but i vastly prefer that to the 80 player clusterfuck that is peak sibyl. Honestly the worst part is that we do not often get admins around to break up the long ass rounds with events, and our traitors do not often cause enough chaos.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #78656

Low pop is one of the most horrifyingly worse things anyone has to suffer through.

Its either a long two to three hour borefest of nothing happening and no one wanting to call the shuttle, in fact people will just start a conflict over the shuttle just to do something. Or its one Traitor/Changeling/Traitorling singly-handedly killing off the entire crew one by one because there's no one playing Security or the AI.

I would rather have one server with 40 people than two servers with 20 people apiece. Personally however lowpop is only usually a problem in the off hours.
Nienhaus
Byond Username: Nienhaus2

Post by Nienhaus » #78674

Make it so anytime station pas a pop of 15 or under skeleton and ghosts spawn to scare people.
Hey.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #78687

Having played on both servers for a bit I feel I can give some feedback

Part of the appeal of Basil to what I'd dare say is the majority of it's regular playerbase is the low population. They enjoy the fact that rounds last eons with only 1-2 antags, and pass the time with gimmicks or projects. Personally, that's not my cup of tea, but I can respect that some people seem to enjoy playing to game that way. There is no (and should not be a) way to incentivize play on the second server - The line is very clearly drawn. Slow-paced long rounds with more RP? Play on Basil. More gameplay, less focus on the intricacies of characters? Play on Sybil.

I actually really enjoy weeknight Sybil where we get 35ish players, because that's an ideal 'low' population. <20 is ass. Beyond that, traitor players on Basil are literally the most boring things in the world. You'd think they would go for something interesting but its usually just "emag for my obj" or "shuttlekill my target", and I tried pushing for Double Agents to become a standardized gamemode there to force antag action and interaction. Honest, I don't mean to sound biased against it; I learned to play on Basil. It's just fucking boring because the antags never do anything.

It's just sort of the reality of the people who play there so I'm not sure we can/should try to change it.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Antimattercarp
Byond Username: Antimattercarp

Post by Antimattercarp » #78728

Easiest way to fix this is to switch sybil's map to metastation and basil's to box, the amount of "Muh Box!" that seems to exist should cause the server pops to even out a little.
danno

Post by danno » #78730

the real problem is that a huge amount of faggots on both servers go "but I don't want people who play on _______!" because they're faggots.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #78733

Wrong forum.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #78737

Then get it moved, dont lock it.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #78764

Antimattercarp wrote:Easiest way to fix this is to switch sybil's map to metastation and basil's to box, the amount of "Muh Box!" that seems to exist should cause the server pops to even out a little.
I don't see why it would even out.

You'll just get a general migration from sybil to basil and vice versa.

Nobody cares about the fact the server name begins with a 'B' or an 'S'.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #78767

Antimattercarp wrote:Easiest way to fix this is to switch sybil's map to metastation and basil's to box, the amount of "Muh Box!" that seems to exist should cause the server pops to even out a little.
We tried this before, it doesn't work
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
danno

Post by danno » #78770

there isn't a fix unless the cap is lowered to 50-60 players.
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #78772

Scones wrote:Part of the appeal of Basil to what I'd dare say is the majority of it's regular playerbase is the low population. They enjoy the fact that rounds last eons with only 1-2 antags, and pass the time with gimmicks or projects. Personally, that's not my cup of tea, but I can respect that some people seem to enjoy playing to game that way. There is no (and should not be a) way to incentivize play on the second server - The line is very clearly drawn. Slow-paced long rounds with more RP? Play on Basil. More gameplay, less focus on the intricacies of characters? Play on Sybil.
I disagree with this. I am certain that the people who RP prefer mid-pop at the very least because there is nothing to RP about if nothing is going on.

As for the topic, I think that the best thing you can do is join the server if you like the map or something else about it. If the playercount gets to 20, rounds tend to speed up and become more interesting which will probably draw more players to the server.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #79085

Miauw wrote:We have pop caps, the only thing I'm really prepared to do is send a message and a link to Sybil when a new round is about to start on Basil and vice versa.

If you think Basil is a ghost-station now, you weren't around when NTstation was a thing. Back then, Basil was literally empty all the time.
This is actually a good idea

Another idea is that if a server's population is significantly higher than the other, new joiners are automatically shunted to the other server.
"But I wannt to play with mah ffrieeends"
Tough shit, make new friends.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #79094

"But we don't want the Sybil shitters on our serveeeer."
Is that what you meant?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #79096

Ah yes the other side of the argument.
To which I say "How much do you pay towards the server"
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #79099

The amount of rage it would create wouldn't be worth it
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #79105

Malkevin wrote:Ah yes the other side of the argument.
To which I say "How much do you pay towards the server"
Dem donations man, power to the people.
danno

Post by danno » #79234

Malkevin wrote:
Miauw wrote:We have pop caps, the only thing I'm really prepared to do is send a message and a link to Sybil when a new round is about to start on Basil and vice versa.

This is actually a good idea

Another idea is that if a server's population is significantly higher than the other, new joiners are automatically shunted to the other server.
"But I wannt to play with mah ffrieeends"
Tough shit, make new friends.
yeah it's not even that these people have friends, but they hate people from the other server
the community is so awful that it's not that they want to play with their friends, but that they don't want to play with their "enemies"
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #79236

As someone who regularly shuffles their name on basil every few days, it's amazing how differently you get treated than if you stick with the same character for a few weeks. Metafriending is all-persuasive and real, no matter what people say.

meanwhile on Sybil, everyone is shat on equally.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
danno

Post by danno » #79238

^have to absolutely agree
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #79270

Artyom split Basil, then killed Basil, and then killed itself.
Someone tell me if I'm wrong but I don't think the population ever recovered from that episode.

I just miss Rigel.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #79277

Lovecraft wrote:Artyom split Basil, then killed Basil, and then killed itself.
Someone tell me if I'm wrong but I don't think the population ever recovered from that episode.
Basil pop is pretty much the same as it was before the ntstation debacle (10-15 average, ~20-25 peak times, 5-30 weekends).

It's lower than it was when it was Badger II and we had ass/efficiency, but some of the pre-nt players are showing up again.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #79289

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:As someone who regularly shuffles their name on basil every few days, it's amazing how differently you get treated than if you stick with the same character for a few weeks. Metafriending is all-persuasive and real, no matter what people say.

meanwhile on Sybil, everyone is shat on equally.
I'm fairly sure that round-to-round persistent relationships with characters are well accepted within the rules, though.

Take Alfred Keplin for example. Could you ask for a more upstanding officer? If my character sees him over the course of a shift I'll probably wave to him and say hey. Alfred'll still do the job, still arrest Coravin and do his upstanding good guy thing which Coravin'll freely mock a little bit, but might even fight a bit less because hey, Alfred's a good guy and he's not gonna be awful.

Is that bad or is that a bit more like roleplaying and actually having characters interact instead of existing in their own little bubble?

Metafriending is something different, it's when something like this happens:
Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."
And then they'll fight for each other and help each other raid the armory and grief and then go back to ERP over the dead bodies despite the fact that only one's a traitor.

And yes, both have happened and do happen.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #79292

yeah, that's metafriending even if it's allowed.
it affects how you act towards people. people that shuffle their names and appearances wont be treated the same way. it's inevitable.
I play on Sybil when the pop is under 40, else I play on Basil. vOv

things are pretty ok right now, there were times basil was worse, there were times when basil was better.
it'll probably get better at some point.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #79293

The metafriend reputation is pretty well deserved, but i always make a point of trying to strike up smalltalk with people i have never seen before and include them in shit that is happening. It is inevitable that you make friends with the people you kill and fight and work beside shift after shift
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #79548

Ah, the monthly "Basil/badger has low pop omg panic!" thread.

Basil has always had low pop, and if anything the 20-25 players its been getting recently is stable and relatively high. Basil has just become a different sorta play style, its not the manic cluster that sybil has become. It also seems to be a lot more RP based, which personally I like.
I think maybe if people are feeling sybil is too manic then they should be made aware of Basil if they're not already, but otherwise things tick along nicely enough.

I think the one thing that could change on Basil is the cliquishness, some people kinda be kinda hostile towards non regulars in OOC , but I never really see it enter IC so its not a huge issue in gameplay terms, just can feel unwelcoming sometimes.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #79684

hibbles had the right idea to this in his last few weeks of headminning
announce over sybil that you will be running fun events on basil
run fun events on basil
also run box since people will be more willing to play on a familiar map
please don't lynch me
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #79793

It's April Fools, you're not getting lynched. Yet.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Kot
Byond Username: KotMroku

Post by Kot » #80881

Remember Badger clusterfuck 80 people ministation rounds?
Someone bring that back!
An0n3 wrote:ARGH LETS YIFF MATEY
Shores Of Hazeron
1999-2014
;_;7