SuperMatter Crystal Shard: How to keep gas temps within 2-5 kelvin range in crystallizer?

General SS13 Chat
ThisIsOurLifeNow
Byond Username: DownSyndronater

SuperMatter Crystal Shard: How to keep gas temps within 2-5 kelvin range in crystallizer?

Post by ThisIsOurLifeNow » #653395

I am trying to create a supermatter shard inside the crystallizer for fun just to see if i can. I know i can order these from cargo but the delay of waiting 20 minutes is too boring for me so might as well try to make it in the mean time.

Creating the gas mixture although difficult is not impossible. I made enough gases for the crystal via fusion as u can see
Screenshot (19).png
My only problem is keeping the temps in the near impossible range of 2-5 kelvin. From the setup u can see 2 freezers each upgraded with blue space matter bins and quad ultra micro lasers. What i have tried is filling the cannister [on the far left] with 3000+ moles of Hyper-Nobelium which has a heat capacity of 2000 from the wiki page which means it takes 2000 joules of energy to raise the temp by just 1 kelvin. It's the perfect coolant that combined with the 2 freezers to further cool it down to 2 kelvin seemed like the perfect plan[only inside my head] but it didn't work.

The reaction is exothermic, and temps quickly spike to 70-80 kelvin and takes like 15-20 seconds to cool it down again to 2 kelvin and all progress is lost by then.

Anyone has ideas on how to cool the gas to 2-5 kelvin range and keep it like that during the reaction? Or maybe i should just file a bug report to the developers saying it's impossible?
tjatpbnj
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Tjatpbnj

Re: SuperMatter Crystal Shard: How to keep gas temps within 2-5 kelvin range in crystallizer?

Post by tjatpbnj » #653399

There's a couple reasons it might be failing, what's the temperature of the coolant in the pipes when the temperature spikes? If it's still cool, you probably want more mols of coolant stuffed in the crystalizer. If it's heating up, you need more cooling.

That canister isn't helping you, by the way. It's hogging 1000L of coolant from the freezers and pipes in a ~2000L system, which means half of your mols are just dead weight and not doing any work cooling.
look in the spanner box got no thing in there cant do go sailing in em
tjatpbnj
In Game PermaBanned

Re: SuperMatter Crystal Shard: How to keep gas temps within 2-5 kelvin range in crystallizer?

Post by tjatpbnj » #653400

Doing some quick math, if you store all 3000 mols of hypernob at 2.7K in the crystallizer cooling port, and you have the minimum reactants at 2.7K, the temperature of the gasses will come out at about ~23K

So, unless you're willing to make a lot more hypernob, you're going to go out of the temperature range at least a little.
ThisIsOurLifeNow

Post by ThisIsOurLifeNow » #653406

The temperature in the pipes increases to 15 kelvin max but the gas in the crystallizer spikes to 75 kelvin and doesn't exchange heat with the pipes quickly enough to cool down the gas. I also used admin powers to spawn like 5 cannisters of Hyper-Nob in the pipes and the unwrenched & deleted all the cannisters but it still didn't make a difference
ThisIsOurLifeNow

Post by ThisIsOurLifeNow » #653408

Also another observation. If we make too many moles of the gas the freezers take a longer time to cool down the large number of moles and making hyper-nob is already difficult enough which requires fusion level 6. Maybe this should be reported as a bug. 35000 moles of hypernob in the pipes[used admin tools] and the only diffrence i see is the temperature drops very quickly but to 6 kelvin. This solution is very inefficient and border line impossible on a normal shift
tjatpbnj
In Game PermaBanned

Post by tjatpbnj » #653409

ThisIsOurLifeNow wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:33 pm The temperature in the pipes increases to 15 kelvin max but the gas in the crystallizer spikes to 75 kelvin and doesn't exchange heat with the pipes quickly enough to cool down the gas. I also used admin powers to spawn like 5 cannisters of Hyper-Nob in the pipes and the unwrenched & deleted all the cannisters but it still didn't make a difference
If you delete the canisters you delete the gas inside so it doesn't make a difference. You pump the gas in from a canister, emptying it.
ThisIsOurLifeNow

Post by ThisIsOurLifeNow » #653461

I pumped the gas from the cannister into the pipes,waited for it to become empty then unwrenched and deleted it is what I meant to say.