Making players hear instrument music from farther away

General SS13 Chat
Tohg7.
Byond Username: Tohg7.

Making players hear instrument music from farther away

Post by Tohg7. » #656570

I've been doing this gimmick where i get on the full pillow-man suit and play a MIDI of "The only thing they fear is you" by Mick Gordon on the headphones, sadly only people 1 tile close to me can hear the music. Is there a way to make people hear it from farther away?
TheSmallBlue
Byond Username: SmallBlue

Re: Making players hear instrument music from farther away

Post by TheSmallBlue » #656586

I think that if you raise the volume in your instrument people further away can hear it
When human I go by Bluti Kabooti, when AI I go by Azure
Comm from
Tohg7.
Byond Username: Tohg7.

Post by Tohg7. » #656590

TheSmallBlue wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:03 am I think that if you raise the volume in your instrument people further away can hear it
I noticed that there was a "Volume dropoff threshold" setting, but i'm not sure if it makes people able to hear you from farther away or not. Keep in mind that most players who could hear my music, were one tile away while it was at max volume.
ArcaneDefence
Byond Username: ArcaneDefence

Post by ArcaneDefence » #656710

There's a var on instruments themselves that limits how far a mob can be to hear you and drop off is more for how quiet it gets as you get further in that range iirc. I suppose you **could** ask an admin to assist you in your memery, but typically the only other option is different instruments.
Headphones are great for pocket use, but as you mentioned, have an instrument_range of 1.
If it's undefined on a subtype the base item has 15.
So a harmonica works, but then you can no longer speak without interrupting it.
Maybe there's something to be said for circuits here, as there appears to be a /obj/item/circuit_component/synth, but I barely looked at it. Maybe a pAI using its synth is an option?
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #656730

I think you should be able to adjust the audible range on your headphones at the cost of damaging your ears until you go deaf.
ArcaneDefence
Byond Username: ArcaneDefence

Post by ArcaneDefence » #656847

wyci