Tips for circumventing burnout?

General SS13 Chat
Bytube
Github User
Byond Username: Bytube
Github Username: Bytube

Tips for circumventing burnout?

Post by Bytube » #663629

I've lost my passion for the game a while ago. Gimme some tips on how you have/would gotten yourself to enjoy the game again.
world famous lizard lawyer
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Re: Tips for circumventing burnout?

Post by bobbahbrown » #663631

good morning bytube,

you go away from the game for several months until enough changes have been developed that make you interested in playing again.

i've done this for over 10 years.

best wishes,
bobbah 'bee' brown

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
Epicgamer545
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Epicgamer545

Post by Epicgamer545 » #663657

play other servers
Epicgamer545
J. Howard, microcelebrity & ExOS
game admin - I am still a admin, please subject me to 4 hours of tickets
► Show Spoiler
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #663669

wait for genetics and xenobio additions

...waiting
► Show Spoiler
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #663670

Play under the influence
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #663689

Take a break. The game is much more enjoyable after a few months and new features have been added. If you insist upon playing ss13, play a different server. Try something new. Play a different job, new character, new antag playstyle.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #663721

Sure, some tips I think can help a lot:

Take little breaks often. Not necessarily month-long ones.

Don't play a self-insert, and learn to separate OOC from IC (try to feel, react and see things from the POV of your character, instead of yours)

Don't use the game to vent, and avoid OOC and deadchat salt like the plague. It's a net-negative toxicity cycle that benefits nobody.

Have more than one character, care for them, just as you care for characters in your favourite fictional work.

Speedrunning knowledge on the game and its mechanics is also a good way to speedrun burnout. Ignorance is bliss.

Don't be afraid to try new stuff even if you don't feel that confident or competent at it.

Learn to deal with sucking at the game and losing. Learn to be considerate and losing to others sometimes if you excel instead.

Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #663729

Epicgamer545 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:51 am play other servers
This, I rotate between servers. Its why I'm so sparse when it comes to being online sometimes.

Every server does stuff great and has their cool niches and cool new added features and changes. I move around for those niches and features, and take some breaks from ss13 in general too. Its worked for the past six years. Always something new to do.
Hugs
Epicgamer545
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Epicgamer545

Post by Epicgamer545 » #663734

Misdoubtful wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:04 pm
Epicgamer545 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:51 am play other servers
This, I rotate between servers. Its why I'm so sparse when it comes to being online sometimes.

Every server does stuff great and has their cool niches and cool new added features and changes. I move around for those niches and features, and take some breaks from ss13 in general too. Its worked for the past six years. Always something new to do.
Additionally, I suggest playing on TGMC if you want a different gameplay style for a while. You get to kill people. Pretty fun.

If your into mild-rare roleplay, try Paradise, Monkey Station, and the sort.

And if you want to go on the HRP hill, go play on Aurorastation.
Epicgamer545
J. Howard, microcelebrity & ExOS
game admin - I am still a admin, please subject me to 4 hours of tickets
► Show Spoiler
CoffeeDragon16
Byond Username: CoffeeDragon16

Post by CoffeeDragon16 » #663743

ive been burnt out for a while and time doesn't seem to be doing anything, i'm not exactly sure what to do
i feel like its a player issue, as the main reason why i still feel bored and burnt out as nothing HAPPENS in rounds and none of the players on are interesting enough to be entertaining
Image ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[
Bytube
Github User

Post by Bytube » #663759

CoffeeDragon16 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:21 pm ive been burnt out for a while and time doesn't seem to be doing anything, i'm not exactly sure what to do
i feel like its a player issue, as the main reason why i still feel bored and burnt out as nothing HAPPENS in rounds and none of the players on are interesting enough to be entertaining
I feel that, its even worse when you have players that actively make rounds bad.

also hi Coffee it's been a while
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #663764

CoffeeDragon16 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:21 pm ive been burnt out for a while and time doesn't seem to be doing anything, i'm not exactly sure what to do
The players don't exist to entertain you, this isn't the right mentality to have when you're playing. Although I agree there's an issue with players just walking around like mindless husks, there are still fun players around, you just have to find them (and also add to the fun of the round yourself).

To the OP: Try taking a break if you're super active, then coming back later once you're not stuck in the same gameloops you've been fixated on. After that go assistant and try to roll with the flow of rounds. If there's a shitty player(s) that actively makes your round worse, see if you can roll with it and turn it into a story. Pretty much everything short of round-removal has RP potential. For instance last round I played I got shoved in perma with slow shoes for something really trivial because the captain was powertripping, but I got into contact with a lawyer and AI and eventually broke me out and we made a little thing out of it. Turned a shitty situation I could have ghosted into something somewhat positive.

Biggest issue with burnout is people playing the game just for the content, then once they've consumed all the interesting content there's nothing left. Play more for the stuff going on in the round, which is randomized every round (no round is the same), and keep the content gameloops there only as a background (i.e. your job). Maybe make a few friends or acquaintances along the way.
Spoiler:
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #663847

Burnout happens when you feel like you've either exhausted your creativity or you've run out of things to learn. If its the former, take a break or spend some time workshopping gimmicks, storylines, etc. If its the latter, find something new to learn or experiment with. A game this iterated has a billion different systems that 90% of players have no idea how work.

Alternatively you can take the Vonnegut route and just treat every round as if it were your first round. That's fun sometimes.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #663916

just stop playing and come back later
bastardblaster
Byond Username: BastardBlaster

Post by bastardblaster » #663917

dude this game sucks

Bytube
Github User

Post by Bytube » #663985

Thanks for the answers, both helpful and joking. I think I'm going to continue taking a break from the game for a while and see if I get out of this rut by then.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #664027

Shadowflame909 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:05 am wait for genetics and xenobio additions

...waiting
>another feature freeze

holy shit its been at least 3 feature freezes and genetics + xenobio havent gotten any new content

I know antagonist items and tools are the most interesting part of the game, but 95% of the other players also need something to do. Aiee!!!!!!!
► Show Spoiler
Mice World
Byond Username: Mice World

Post by Mice World » #664148

Shadowflame909 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:01 pm
>another feature freeze

holy shit its been at least 3 feature freezes and genetics + xenobio havent gotten any new content

I know antagonist items and tools are the most interesting part of the game, but 95% of the other players also need something to do. Aiee!!!!!!!
This is just from memory but I remember reading a coder (maybe oranges?) say that until xenobio's core gameplay loop gets fully reworked it won't be getting any major content.

EDIT: I think I found it. https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... -668770157
It keeps getting worse!?
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #664219

The person doing the xenobio rework quit.

The game is kind of in a Chrono stasis outside of Atmos and antagonists
► Show Spoiler
MimicFaux
Byond Username: MimicFaux

Post by MimicFaux » #664346

Vanish for years, explore the world, explore yourself, and suddenly return when absolutely no one was expecting it and wonder what the fuck a MOD suit is.

(No but really, disconnecting yourself is the best way)
ImageImageImage
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #664347

MimicFaux wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:03 am Vanish for years, explore the world, explore yourself, and suddenly return when absolutely no one was expecting it and wonder what the fuck a MOD suit is.

(No but really, disconnecting yourself is the best way)
Yea I'd say a six year break is p ideal :^)
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #664381

You can't circumvent burnout. It's healthy.
Game has a limited amount of fun in it, but is very addicting.

It's better to just stop playing for a while and then see how you feel rather then trying to drag out the joy that you once had from content that was once special.
The trouble is we've got this big social group around it and you're all in too deep, so it gets harder.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?