Page 1 of 2

TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:39 am
by MrStonedOne
So, I set up the replacement patreon.

https://www.patreon.com/tgstation

I setup some stretch goals, and actually have a few ideas for if we get excess to make things run faster/better/etc.

I also included the website stuff in there, if you feel game servers upgrades should come first, let me know and I can juggle things around.

Also: Paypal one time payment: kyleshome@gmail.com

Crypto Currencies:
Bitcoin: 1Jyt1yyR91x8g1LbnsJ3Zn5NNSJ2MFczj

Users may pledge 25 bucks a month to get a banner on the main page (within reason). See the Patreon for details.

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:17 am
by Incomptinence
Why should I trust yo... ? Fuck I already pledged.

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:37 am
by Sometinyprick
Incomptinence wrote:Why should I trust yo... ? Fuck I already pledged.

we can trust the redditmin not to run away with our shekels

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:15 pm
by TheNightingale
I'll give $5/month later. Good luck.

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:10 pm
by Nienhaus
If it gets to 420 you should add a new 420 board style to celebrate.

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:42 pm
by Jeb
>needing $120/m for a cdn

nigga pls

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:35 pm
by MrStonedOne
Jeb wrote:>needing $120/m for a cdn

nigga pls


where are you getting 120 from?

its about 50 bucks more then the last upgrade

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:46 am
by Jeb
MrStonedOne wrote:
Jeb wrote:>needing $120/m for a cdn

nigga pls


where are you getting 120 from?

its about 50 bucks more then the last upgrade


Was counting from the current amount -> cdn goal.

May I ask why does /tg/station need a dedi for the webserver anyway? Perhaps we can get together on irc or voice chat or something sometime and mash heads together regarding tech stuff?

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:31 am
by MrStonedOne
Jeb wrote:May I ask why does /tg/station need a dedi for the webserver anyway?


I mean, I can't say we do, other than that it would speed up the fact that it takes the wiki a full second to load any page, on top of network transfer times.

I live 30 miles from the server the wiki is on, I have 20ms ping to it, and it takes me a second and a half to load any page on the wiki. I can't imagine how bad it is for some people a lot further away. The slow loading times on the wiki's page has been the only thing i've been unhappy about as a system admin.

I put the cdn higher than the dedicated server because that takes quite a bit more effort to setup, so i wanted to give me a bit more warning before we reached it.

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:41 am
by Jeb
Any possible way you could give me a copy/backup of the wiki? I'd like to throw it into a testbed and see if perhaps a different configuration could fix it?

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:08 am
by Timbrewolf
Forwarded the overages I had from the patreon account to your paypal.

Word of advice for you and for anyone donating or considering donating:
The pledge amount can be misleading. It's actually pretty easy for someone to say they'll donate an amount and then not come through.
The schedule for receiving payments is a little wonky too, I was sweating bullets waiting for a bunch of things to clear and things were closer than I would've liked them to be.
Having more people donate smaller amounts is much more preferable because it prevents any single person from being able to back out at the last minute and fuck everything over.
Anyone donating more than $10 should consider not doing that to encourage others to cough it up first. You probably think you're being super nice but you're actually fucking it up and it puts too much responsibility in a single person's hands.
...unless you're actually trying to position yourself so you can someday suddenly remove your funding at the last minute and fuck everyone else over. Then you're doing it exactly right. And you're a jerk.
Asking for more than the server actually costs to host is prettymuch necessary in order to ensure people donate enough to actually cover the fucking thing + build up a little overage in case people back out or things take too long to be processed.


Of course everyone will think you're a big fat phony who is scamming them out of their social security tugboat but I think there's a special hell for people who steal money from retards.
If you do it at least spend some of it on a Sonichu medallion.

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:20 pm
by Ricotez
An0n3 wrote:If you do it at least spend some of it on a Sonichu medallion.


at long last the truth comes out

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:22 pm
by 420weedscopes
Nienhaus wrote:If it gets to 420 you should add a new 420 board style to celebrate.

why 420 blaze it when you can sugar glaze it

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:13 am
by Timbrewolf
Ricotez wrote:
An0n3 wrote:If you do it at least spend some of it on a Sonichu medallion.


at long last the truth comes out


The time has come to finally expose the conspiracy.

The server is in CWC Ville.
Chris Chan was behind it all the entire time.
His medallion absorbs autistic brainwaves throughout the earth giving him powers to physically assault people in shopping malls.
/tg/station13 was setup to give him more power.

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:52 am
by Incomptinence
Anon3 are you secretly chris chan's unleashed form?

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:23 am
by oranges
An0n3 I still see your patreon in my creator feed.

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:12 am
by Timbrewolf
Yes I am Shin-Chris.

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:16 am
by Sometinyprick
An0n3 wrote:Forwarded the overages I had from the patreon account to your paypal.

Word of advice for you and for anyone donating or considering donating:
The pledge amount can be misleading. It's actually pretty easy for someone to say they'll donate an amount and then not come through.
The schedule for receiving payments is a little wonky too, I was sweating bullets waiting for a bunch of things to clear and things were closer than I would've liked them to be.
Having more people donate smaller amounts is much more preferable because it prevents any single person from being able to back out at the last minute and fuck everything over.
Anyone donating more than $10 should consider not doing that to encourage others to cough it up first. You probably think you're being super nice but you're actually fucking it up and it puts too much responsibility in a single person's hands.
...unless you're actually trying to position yourself so you can someday suddenly remove your funding at the last minute and fuck everyone else over. Then you're doing it exactly right. And you're a jerk.
Asking for more than the server actually costs to host is prettymuch necessary in order to ensure people donate enough to actually cover the fucking thing + build up a little overage in case people back out or things take too long to be processed.


Of course everyone will think you're a big fat phony who is scamming them out of their social security tugboat but I think there's a special hell for people who steal money from retards.
If you do it at least spend some of it on a Sonichu medallion.

it would be all well and nice if we had fourteen people to donate ten bucks each
but we don't, if you discounted the "large" donations the funding would be at 50 dollars.

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:24 am
by Timbrewolf
oranges wrote:An0n3 I still see your patreon in my creator feed.


Don't know what to tell you. I canceled it as best the service would let me. My account has no way of collecting or depositing funds.

If you're still seeing stop subscribing to it or patronizing it or whatever.

Sometinyprick wrote:it would be all well and nice if we had fourteen people to donate ten bucks each
but we don't, if you discounted the "large" donations the funding would be at 50 dollars.


Yeah, because everyone is being stupid and donating large sums, and everyone else who might donate those $10 amounts sees that things are being funded fine and decides they'd rather save up for that bad dragon purchase they've needed to fill the void in their colon since I quit.

The server should be paid up until the 6th of May. That gives you guys almost a whole month to back your donations back down to something reasonable and see if other people will step forward and donate. If they don't? By all means be a "whale" of /tg/station and jack your donation back up. No harm done.

It's not fucking rocket science here.

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:54 am
by Not-Dorsidarf
Donation: $230 per month

[Deleted]

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:29 am
by fartman
PostThis post was deleted by peoplearestrange on Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:00 am.
Reason: Not relevent

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:37 am
by Vekter
I don't have a job. :(

An0n3 wrote:social security tugboat


Image

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:46 am
by Drynwyn
Since the host doesn't pay the bills anymore, it would make sense if the Host Headmin appointment (that is currently in possesion of Coderbus due to inertia) got handed off to the server patrons- not like in a "you paid this much so get this many votes", but "if you pledge X dollars you get a single vote no you cannot have another".

Even if it doesn't- if the Host position is now just a primarily technical one that no longer pays the bills, giving them their own headmin appointee doesn't make much sense (No offense is intended to the honorable stonermin, it's just a point of policy). The third headmin should either be a player vote, a patron vote, or definitively set down as a coder vote rather than a host appointment.

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:29 pm
by Sometinyprick
Drynwyn wrote:Since the host doesn't pay the bills anymore, it would make sense if the Host Headmin appointment (that is currently in possesion of Coderbus due to inertia) got handed off to the server patrons- not like in a "you paid this much so get this many votes", but "if you pledge X dollars you get a single vote no you cannot have another".

Even if it doesn't- if the Host position is now just a primarily technical one that no longer pays the bills, giving them their own headmin appointee doesn't make much sense (No offense is intended to the honorable stonermin, it's just a point of policy). The third headmin should either be a player vote, a patron vote, or definitively set down as a coder vote rather than a host appointment.

I think this would be a good idea as long as the donators themselves can not be considered for this vote.

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:14 pm
by callanrockslol
Drynwyn wrote:Since the host doesn't pay the bills anymore, it would make sense if the Host Headmin appointment (that is currently in possesion of Coderbus due to inertia) got handed off to the server patrons- not like in a "you paid this much so get this many votes", but "if you pledge X dollars you get a single vote no you cannot have another".

Even if it doesn't- if the Host position is now just a primarily technical one that no longer pays the bills, giving them their own headmin appointee doesn't make much sense (No offense is intended to the honorable stonermin, it's just a point of policy). The third headmin should either be a player vote, a patron vote, or definitively set down as a coder vote rather than a host appointment.


No jesus christ no never holy shit why.

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:17 pm
by oranges
Drynwyn wrote:Since the host doesn't pay the bills anymore, it would make sense if the Host Headmin appointment (that is currently in possesion of Coderbus due to inertia) got handed off to the server patrons- not like in a "you paid this much so get this many votes", but "if you pledge X dollars you get a single vote no you cannot have another".

Even if it doesn't- if the Host position is now just a primarily technical one that no longer pays the bills, giving them their own headmin appointee doesn't make much sense (No offense is intended to the honorable stonermin, it's just a point of policy). The third headmin should either be a player vote, a patron vote, or definitively set down as a coder vote rather than a host appointment.


Don't make it a patreon specific thing, that can go badly wrong quickly, whenever money is involved you have to be extra careful.

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:34 am
by Konork
Honestly, I wouldn't give any kind of power at all to people who donate. I don't really want to see people try to game the system in bullshit way to try to gain influence, and I really don't want to see drama stemming from people feeling like their donation was worth nothing because more people who donated were against something they wanted. It's just a huge, looming clusterfuck of drama that'll most likely have severe negative effects on the server.

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:11 am
by Jeb
Pay to influence is the last thing we need

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:09 am
by MisterPerson
Konork wrote:Honestly, I wouldn't give any kind of power at all to people who donate. I don't really want to see people try to game the system in bullshit way to try to gain influence, and I really don't want to see drama stemming from people feeling like their donation was worth nothing because more people who donated were against something they wanted. It's just a huge, looming clusterfuck of drama that'll most likely have severe negative effects on the server.


I don't even think singulo could handle the level of drama this would create

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:50 am
by Not-Dorsidarf
Give the host's vote to singulo.

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:57 pm
by callanrockslol
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Give the host's vote to singulo.


They would vote for HG to fuck with us.

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:18 pm
by DemonFiren
callanrockslol wrote:
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Give the host's vote to singulo.


They would vote for HG to fuck with us.


And that is different from they way it is now, how?

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:52 pm
by peoplearestrange
This is getting way off topic now. Can we keep it to questions regarding the CURRENT crowd funding situation.

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:58 am
by 420weedscopes
who is the stonermin mso
is it you or is it me
what's in the box

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:11 am
by peoplearestrange
^Not a haiku. I am disappoint.

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:06 pm
by 420weedscopes
who is the stonermin
is it me or you
it's snowing on mount fuji

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:28 pm
by peoplearestrange
420weedscopes wrote:who is the stonermin
is it me or you
it's snowing on mount fuji


Hahahhaha ok now it's a haiku.
(Desperate trying not to laugh out loud in the office, ok trying not to laugh out loud more, ok trying not to laugh out louder)

That was great comment.
You really made me laugh lots
It's snowing on mount fuji

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:20 pm
by TheNightingale
Aren't haikus 5-7-5? 'It snows on Fuji' might work.

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:24 am
by peoplearestrange
TheNightingale wrote:Aren't haikus 5-7-5? 'It snows on Fuji' might work.


Uh oh 420, we got the Haiku Police on us!
Quick grab their radio before they can call in a 577!

(If you haven't guessed already we're referencing something)
Spoiler:

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:48 pm
by RocKeD
I'm not sure if this would be feasible or not but if we do make it to 420 you should hire someone to just optimize code, for increased performance. Having someone dedicated to this in my opinion would be great, and I think we could see a few speed improvements to the game.

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:21 pm
by oranges
You'd need to pay them more than roughly 250-300 a month.

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:03 pm
by Not-Dorsidarf
RocKeD wrote:I'm not sure if this would be feasible or not but if we do make it to 420 you should hire someone to just optimize code, for increased performance. Having someone dedicated to this in my opinion would be great, and I think we could see a few speed improvements to the game.

Phil duz it for freeeee

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:03 am
by RocKeD
oranges wrote:You'd need to pay them more than roughly 250-300 a month.

Not if it's someone from the community necessarily. You could hold kinda like a contest where whoever gets the best performance increase gets 1st place, and have a cash prize for 1st - 3rd place. When -tg- has extra money these could be held.
Over time we should theoretically gain quiet a bit of performance as this would drive people to redo / optimize sections of code instead of just tweaking it here and there.

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:01 pm
by Drynwyn
I wouldn't be opposed to cash rewards for code optimization, because unlike "who made the best contribution to the codebase" or "who did the best X", how much you reduce processing load can be objectively measured to prevent drama.

It's hard to call "whaaaaa favoritism whaaaaa circlejerk" on "his number is smaller, so he gets the prize."

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:42 pm
by Agouri
This is an Open Source project and code has been written under a license.

I urge nobody here to give nothing on this patreon bullshit unless this man starts posting receipts of where he spends every penny.

I'm not saying this aggressively. For an Open Source project that has a patreon, this is needed.

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:09 pm
by MisterPerson
The patreon and the code are completely different. This is entirely for the server.

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:00 pm
by tedward1337
Agouri wrote:This is an Open Source project and code has been written under a license.

I urge nobody here to give nothing on this patreon bullshit unless this man starts posting receipts of where he spends every penny.

I'm not saying this aggressively. For an Open Source project that has a patreon, this is needed.


Did you really just make an account so you could post this
Because it's hilarious that if you would've read any part of the actual patron instead of just running your mouth, you would've seen that's it's for the server

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:07 pm
by Tsaricide
It's just Agouri being Agouri

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:06 pm
by ColonicAcid
MisterPerson wrote:The patreon and the code are completely different. This is entirely for the server.

:^)

tedward1337 wrote:
Agouri wrote:This is an Open Source project and code has been written under a license.

I urge nobody here to give nothing on this patreon bullshit unless this man starts posting receipts of where he spends every penny.

I'm not saying this aggressively. For an Open Source project that has a patreon, this is needed.


Did you really just make an account so you could post this
Because it's hilarious that if you would've read any part of the actual patron instead of just running your mouth, you would've seen that's it's for the server

He's right though, there should be transparency at all times when it comes with money. A lot of WoW private servers show exactly where all they money goes, and it would be pretty good to know where this money goes as well.

Re: TGSTATION IS CROWD FUNDED

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:29 am
by callanrockslol
ColonicAcid wrote:
MisterPerson wrote:The patreon and the code are completely different. This is entirely for the server.

:^)

tedward1337 wrote:
Agouri wrote:This is an Open Source project and code has been written under a license.

I urge nobody here to give nothing on this patreon bullshit unless this man starts posting receipts of where he spends every penny.

I'm not saying this aggressively. For an Open Source project that has a patreon, this is needed.


Did you really just make an account so you could post this
Because it's hilarious that if you would've read any part of the actual patron instead of just running your mouth, you would've seen that's it's for the server

He's right though, there should be transparency at all times when it comes with money. A lot of WoW private servers show exactly where all they money goes, and it would be pretty good to know where this money goes as well.


Yeah I would like to see this too